Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn this has been in the works for a while, and that’s why they chose to purchase a home in this area. I remember right after they bought their home some people were commenting that it was in kind of a weird location for them to pick. If they’d already decided on public school, they probably looked at school quality when choosing a community to move into.

Well, he’s going to try. Those jobs aren’t as easy to get as people like Derick think. 

He already has started to make connections, working at the Clinton Foundation last summer. I imagine he'll return there this coming summer.

4 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn this has been in the works for a while, and that’s why they chose to purchase a home in this area. I remember right after they bought their home some people were commenting that it was in kind of a weird location for them to pick. If they’d already decided on public school, they probably looked at school quality when choosing a community to move into.

Well, he’s going to try. Those jobs aren’t as easy to get as people like Derick think. 

I find it strange that he already thinks/knows he will be in the same house and school district for the next decade.  

His internship this summer might explain why?  Or maybe not.  But this upcoming summer internship is usually with a firm that wants to hire you!

6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

He already has started to make connections, working at the Clinton Foundation last summer. I imagine he'll return there this coming summer.

The Clinton Foundation? As in Bill and Hillary? Wow. I was assuming he meant public policy as in working to ban abortion and gay marriage. I assume the Clinton Foundation doesn’t have either of those things as policy goals.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I find it strange that he already thinks/knows he will be in the same house and school district for the next decade.  

His internship this summer might explain why?  Or maybe not.  But this upcoming summer internship is usually with a firm that wants to hire you!

Between all the companies headquartered there, it wouldn't surprise me if he is fairly certain he'll be staying in the NWA area, and a lot of folks commute between the different towns. Even if he is banking on a local political job that involves some time in Little Rock, a property investment there isn't a bad idea with the real estate market booming. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Barb23 said:

It’s extra special because it’s the same school district Derick enrolled in over 25 years ago. 

School district not school.  There are multiple schools within that district.  I'm so thrilled that Israel will get to be with his peers and not just his cousins, that he can get a full education and not just what Jill covers with workbooks, and he can play and be independent of his parent for several hours a week.  

• Love 19

This is so depressing. Not a single Duggar has "liked" Jill's post about Izzy going to Kindergarten. Not one. Only Derick's family posted something nice. That's kind of shitty. Even if you don't agree with homeschooling can't the Duggars muster enough people skills to hit "like" on what is a big deal to Jill?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

This is so depressing. Not a single Duggar has "liked" Jill's post about Izzy going to Kindergarten. Not one. Only Derick's family posted something nice. That's kind of shitty. Even if you don't agree with homeschooling can't the Duggars muster enough people skills to hit "like" on what is a big deal to Jill?

Not true. Both Jana and Jinger have liked it, as well as Alyssa Bates Webster. Saw a screenshot on FJ.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 7
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Also curious if the boys got vaccinated or not. I’m sure that school system will allow religious waiver.

As my daughter pointed out, due to Cathy's cancer issues, they probably did vaccinate the kids since they would be around her so much.  Derick would probably listen to that kind of reasoning if Cathy brought it up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
29 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:
25 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Oops my bad. I was looking and saw that "duggarfam," Jessa, Joy, and Anna did not like it.

No surprises there other than Joy. The 'rents are at a couples retreat, so maybe they haven't heard yet.

24 minutes ago, Absolom said:

As my daughter pointed out, due to Cathy's cancer issues, they probably did vaccinate the kids since they would be around her so much.  Derick would probably listen to that kind of reasoning if Cathy brought it up.

I also think Izzy was vaccinated as an infant in Danger America. Derelict has said that he isn't anti-vax.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not true. Both Jana and Jinger have liked it, as well as Alyssa Bates Webster. Saw a screenshot on FJ.

Not a surprise. Jana doesn’t have kids, and it wouldn’t surprise me if neither Jinger nor Alyssa plan to homeschool (although I think they might choose Christian schools, not public schools). Jessa, Joy, and Anna? Jessa’s probably too busy seething with fury because Jill and Derick upstaged the show again, and Joy and Anna are both so conservative that they probably think Jill just bought Izzy a ticket on the bus to hell.

• Love 16

Alyssa has said recently on a YT video that she plans to homeschool. Logic was no one knows your kid like you do. 

It just occurred to me that it's been said that Joy is the most conservative of the older girls. I think she and Jill have been growing apart for some time now.

Edited by Sew Sumi
Autocorrect is my mortal enemy tonight!
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Alyssa has said recently on a YT video that she plans to homeschool. Logic was no one knows your kid like you do. 

It just occurred to me that it's been said that Joy is the most conservative of the older girls. I think she and Jill have been growing apart for some time now.

I totally agree about Joy and Jill growing apart. Jill has gone full-on fundie light and Joy is still stuck in a denim skirt and flip flops.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Let's hope Alyssa changes her mind as her kids get older. She is not the brightest person. I also wonder if she'll want a real education for her husband's heir once junior arrives.

Joy's husband comes from the most conservative background and the only one who is IBLP. Ben's parents were fundie, but seem to have some common sense. Derick and Jeremy come from more mainstream backgrounds.  Joy and Austin seem really good together, but both of them keep the other one bound to fundamentalism. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Oops my bad. I was looking and saw that "duggarfam," Jessa, Joy, and Anna did not like it.

Does that mean that they actually did a sad/angry/downvote emoji or that they just did not react to the post?

Not reacting either way =/= not liking it

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

One of Jazz's brothers is going to law school in the fall. I'd take him over lazy ass Jazz any day. And his politics are correct, so he'd cancel out Counselor Dullard. 

RE: the subject of accredited education - eps. graduate school..

Gosh - what a news update date  🍿...will peek over on that thread, as I would love to know what the older sister is doing with her life.

Good for the reality stars offspring... Kinda hope Jermey/Jinger will bust out with a news story - that goes against the grain, other than pants, hair color and moving to California. I had hopes for Ben to continue his education, but I guess his 2 yr degree is making him happy..

Still waiting for the Bates to get more of a clue..

Back to Derrick, attorney-at-law-to-be...I kinda hoped he would eat a little humble pie and go back to walmart cop...I'm sure they could use legal counsel on their staff.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I really have to wonder if Ma and Pa even give a rusty double damn anymore. The kids have fulfilled their purpose, which was to make them wealthy and fawned upon, and now that they’re out of the house? Who cares?

Other than the occasional photo op, I don’t think most of their kids even cross their shallow little minds on a daily basis.

I don't think they care about the grandkids going to public school, exactly. If they weren't in the public eye, it'd probably be the kind of thing they don't really agree with but don't feel strongly enough about to say anything. What Jim Bob and Michelle and Jessa* care about is the type of public questions and comments the public makes when one of the clan veer from the script JB/TLC wrote all those years ago. 

*I include Jessa here, because I've always felt that if it weren't for her thin skin over public comments about her family and her beliefs, Jessa would have long ago been wearing pants and whatever other meaningless thing that the public perceives as rebellious. I think the chances are high that she's not much of a believer but she's comfortable where she's it so she's fine going through the motions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I actually don't think Jill is a bad mom..she reminds me of a lot of twenty something moms with trips to the library,  being a stroller mom, being overwhelmed,  etc.

I think she got a crash course look at reality that the picture she was given of motherhood by her mom isn't what she expected..so she's floundered.  She always was the shy Duggar daughter..believing in all that she was taught and always feeling anxious about pleasing others.  Plus, her two boys seem happy...imho.  I bet once he's in kindergarten, we will get an announcement of baby #3.  A friend of mine lamented about her child starting kindergarten,  than bam..she got pregnant

I was wondering if this is the real reason for Israel going to kindergarten, if he enjoys it, then Sam will go and boom, Jill is expecting. 

• Love 1

It's interesting how we all see the girls a little differently regarding their beliefs. I see them all now realizing the hair/clothing type rules are Michelle's and Gothard's. Jinger knows it and changed, even if it meant hurting her parents feelings. Jessa will be in skirts with long hair until the show is cancelled and Jill is now blindly following a new set of rules. And Joy is following the same rules because of Austin.

As far as their Christian beliefs, I see Jinger believing with some depth and Jessa as someone who believes deeply enough to fear repercussions if she doesn't. I see Jill as someone who thinks she believes deeply but actually is a shallow believer following a script of reading the Bible and going to church and thinks that makes her a good Christian. I see Joy similar to Jill, however I don't think religion takes up a lot of headspace, she just lives life day to day and on Sundays, goes to church.

I think the girls, JB & M think Jill is the deepest believer, then Jessa, Jinger and Joy.

It's harder to peg Jana because there isn't a before and after living at home to compare, but I see her as a believer who struggles (in a healthy way, to me) here and there to make sense of it all.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Hmmm, It makes me wonder how many "fans" will be filling their PO Box with school supplies.  

Probably several, and she doesn’t have to buy school supplies with the money I send her, but I am going to request that she spends it entirely on Israel.  She can get him clothes, shoes, a lunchbox, pay for school lunches, or whatever, as long as it benefits Israel.  I’ll do the same for Sam when he starts Kindergarten.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Namaste said:

Yeah, that made me worry too. Sounds like they might be just test driving public school without full commitment to leaving Izzy there for K-12. Hopefully, they stick with it. 

Hopefully Izzy will like kindergarten, make new friends & learn a ton of things. Hopefully because of this  (especially what he has learned) J & D will have him continue on in public school.

I'm glad they have him starting school now rather than in let's say 3rd grade.  I'm sure he would have a lot of catching up to do both in knowledge & social skills. 

• Love 24
43 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

I hope that Izzy starting a real school will make Jill understand that she can't operate on "Duggar Time."  She's going to have to abide by the school's schedule.

Which I think would be GREAT for her. She's a person who desperately needs structure to feel safe, IMO.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Another alternative...donate to this charity In Israel’s honor...

https://www.kinf.org/

This is just me, but they have enough money to buy a house, put Derrick through law school, and own two vehicles. Plenty of parents do better by their kids with lots less.

Getting donated money for educating their children...not so much.

I'm lost... they set up a GoFundMe for Izzy to go to public K4 ?

I'm not saying public schools are not free as there are things parents have to pay for ... but what's going to happen when the little darlings are in HS and the $$ really flies out of one's wallet/purse ?

RE: setting up a fund for school supplies - many of the stores - walmart & target  are the leaders - have school supplies packs/bags that one can purchase, so the parent can pick them up.

One clicks on the school & grade, and if the teacher/administration has filled out the info, all the purchaser has to do is click & pay. Just another version of buying online (ie a gift registry) and pick up at the store. 

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, sATL said:

I'm lost... they set up a GoFundMe for Izzy to go to public K4 ?

Not that I know of. Several weeks ago Jill or Derick posted on IG, that they'd obtained a post office box, and included the address. In case people want to mail them things. Jill recently posted about some of the "happy mail" (I think that was her term) they enjoy receiving at the PO Box.

I think a couple of people have posted here about sending Jill money to that PO Box as a positive/encouraging response to enrolling Izzy in kindergarten. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not that I know of. Several weeks ago Jill or Derick posted on IG, that they'd obtained a post office box, and included the address. In case people want to mail them things. Jill recently posted about some of the "happy mail" (I think that was her term) they enjoy receiving at the PO Box.

I think a couple of people have posted here about sending Jill money to that PO Box as a positive/encouraging response to enrolling Izzy in kindergarten. 

hmmmm... how about a direct deposit to a 529 plan ?

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, sATL said:

RE: setting up a fund for school supplies - many of the stores - walmart & target  are the leaders - have school supplies packs/bags that one can purchase, so the parent can pick them up.

One clicks on the school & grade, and if the teacher/administration has filled out the info, all the purchaser has to do is click & pay. Just another version of buying online (ie a gift registry) and pick up at the store. 

Our school offers a box you can order with all the supplies in it, cheaper and we don't have to worry about any of it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 2/22/2020 at 12:45 AM, galaxychaser said:

Izzy is the star of counting on! I can’t believe he is going to go to a real school!

He is going to be very tall! I was shocked at seeing him move around in the video.  In most of her pics, he's sitting so I was shocked to see how lanky he is.  Kudos to Jill for making this life altering decision.  And kudos to Derrick for his gentle guiding of Jill to this point.  Her kids have a chance to have a life with a real income.  What a normal looking family.

• Love 11
On 2/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, madpsych78 said:

I really, honestly wonder what goes on in Jill's mind as she slowly breaks away from what she is accustomed to doing in the Duggar family. When you read Cynthia Jeub's blog it seems like it was such a big hardship to break away, and while I don't doubt that it is hard, I think this also speaks to that there is a great deal of variability in the experiences of former fundies. 

It's probably like starting over in a new country, especially one that's unfamiliar and very different from the home country, and the move was not planned or desired. She may be thinking back to her experiences in Danger America. It must be very frightening to her if she and Derick are really post-Duggar now. 

• Love 8
On 2/22/2020 at 1:28 PM, ginger90 said:

I can’t wait for Jill to experience Common Core standards.  😁

Jilly doesn't know what came before CC so she has nothing to be shocked or confused about.  Hell, she'll probably be shocked they go to school every day at 8 am and they leave every day at 3pm.  

I have no doubt Israel will go back for first grade because Derrick values education too much for Jill to half ass it.  I now feel the need to go to her Instagram page, follow her and comment that she's making a great decision.  And that makes me feel sleazy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 2/22/2020 at 2:26 PM, PradaKitty said:

If Jill wNted to go to nursing school she would first have to take courses in remedial EVERYTHING. 
I sincerely hope that all of Jim Bob and Michelle’s children send their kids to actual, real schools. Home schooling works fine if you have an educated person who is familiar with pedagogy teaching the kids. If you have a high school graduate more concerned with popping out babies than learning how to instruct children, it’s probably not a good idea... 

I think someone mentioned Jill being an CNA upthread, which she could easily do.  It's the one of the lowest levels of care giving.  I don't think Jill is stupid, I just think she is woefully uneducated.  But that said, there are many just like her in America and they find ways to get jobs.  I would be happy if Jill did something for Jill.  Just for the pleasure of doing it. No J.O.Y., just something that she wants to do.   I think with Derrick's encouragement and copious amounts of free time, she could go back to school.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I think someone mentioned Jill being an CNA upthread, which she could easily do.  It's the one of the lowest levels of care giving.  I don't think Jill is stupid, I just think she is woefully uneducated.  But that said, there are many just like her in America and they find ways to get jobs.  I would be happy if Jill did something for Jill.  Just for the pleasure of doing it. No J.O.Y., just something that she wants to do.   I think with Derrick's encouragement and copious amounts of free time, she could go back to school.

many attorneys do hire their spouses to run/assist in their offices/practices....

Just try to dream here...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Jill does not strike me as especially stupid, although she does have gaps in her education. I have taught college writing for four university systems, and I've seen writing as bad or worse than hers at all of them. Over 1/4 of college freshman need remedial courses, and many need an entire year of remedial math and English before reaching credit-level courses. I'm glad to see that Israel is going to such a highly rated school, but plenty of people who graduate from public schools in failing districts are functionally illiterate. Jill passed her GED, so she is at least capable of that level of learning. CNA classes in my area require passing a math and reading competency to start to training, so that woyld weed her out if she couldn't make it. 

I don't know that Jill has expressed interest in going back into medical training, though. I'd love to see her just take a few general education courses or do some volunteer work  - things that are lower pressure but allow her to figure out what she really enjoys. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

Jill does not strike me as especially stupid, although she does have gaps in her education. I have taught college writing for four university systems, and I've seen writing as bad or worse than hers at all of them. Over 1/4 of college freshman need remedial courses, and many need an entire year of remedial math and English before reaching credit-level courses. I'm glad to see that Israel is going to such a highly rated school, but plenty of people who graduate from public schools in failing districts are functionally illiterate. Jill passed her GED, so she is at least capable of that level of learning. CNA classes in my area require passing a math and reading competency to start to training, so that woyld weed her out if she couldn't make it. 

I don't know that Jill has expressed interest in going back into medical training, though. I'd love to see her just take a few general education courses or do some volunteer work  - things that are lower pressure but allow her to figure out what she really enjoys. 

She could even work as an at home health care aid, which requires less training.  I'm not sure if she's interested in any of this, but it would be nice for her to have a job where she earns money for herself or for "extras".  I'm sure it would help while Derrick is in law school.  If both kids are in school, the world is her oyster. I hope Derrick encourages her to take some community college classes or even some of the community college extension classes that are open to the public for a fee.  She could work on her photography skills, learn how to cook, or do other things to enhance her social media following.

• Love 5

I think Jill needs some baby steps before anything else, which seems to be part of what she's doing anyway. But I would think something low pressure like @sleepysuzy suggested would be the way to go. Maybe some gen ed classes or a part- time job working for someone who is sympathetic and could help ease her more out of her comfort zone or a volunteer gig a couple of times a week. Not all at once, but just helping her see there's a big world outside her bubble without overwhelming her with it.

I'm honestly not sure Jill would even be interested in nursing anymore. Maybe she would, but I think she probably needs some more real-world experiences to see if that really interests her like she thought it did when she was younger. I actually suspect her main interest was more in midwifery than nursing and that may have tanked after her own traumatic birth experiences. There's no shame in her realizing that she's not cut out for it, though. That to me is preferable than the alternative of not being cut out for it and pressing on with it regardless. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, hathorlive said:

She could even work as an at home health care aid, which requires less training.  I'm not sure if she's interested in any of this, but it would be nice for her to have a job where she earns money for herself or for "extras".  I'm sure it would help while Derrick is in law school.  If both kids are in school, the world is her oyster. I hope Derrick encourages her to take some community college classes or even some of the community college extension classes that are open to the public for a fee.  She could work on her photography skills, learn how to cook, or do other things to enhance her social media following.

I think the cooking classes are a good idea.

Edited by kokapetl
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7