Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Do you know, I’ve been thinking about this (more than I should, which is ‘any’), and it just occurred to me: does Derick mean ‘College Minus’?!?

i thought I vaguely remembered someone saying that Jill was filmed at some point pre-Nepal cramming College Plus workbooks like mad; plus Derick’s no education major.  Maybe he thinks that Jill doing 48 College Minus multiple choice workbooks in 6 weeks, IS the same as attending 240 credit hours or similar??  I know it sounds funny to contemplate, but he’d only know whatever nonsense the Duggars parroted about College Plus.  He wouldn’t know it’s make-work nonsense.

Jill took some Bible classes at an unaccredited bible college after she was married. College Minus happened when she was still living at home. No mention of it after she married.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 1/25/2020 at 4:45 PM, Westiepeach said:

Well, we have the Rods. They adore the Duggar’s.

Quoting myself to add that not only do the Rods adore the Duggars, they want to BE the Duggars...

9 hours ago, Namaste said:

Yeah, maybe she’s meal prepping?

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! I doubt it.

• Love 4

I really question the logic of cooking all your veg while in El Salvador because of sanitary reasons.  That just screams Ugly Americans who should never leave the country.   When you are living in a climate like Central America where fruit and vegetables grow plentiful, why not avail yourself of them?  Fresh tomatoes grow outside where the sun hits them just like God intended.  Fresh pineapple cut from the earth when it is ripe and not early because of transport.  According to my little brother those were worth it when he visited Costa Rica.   The odds of contacting e coli would be the same as eating at Chipotle or eating romaine lettuce.   I just cannot comprehend avoiding these foods because of the slim chance of food poisoning. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really question the logic of cooking all your veg while in El Salvador because of sanitary reasons.  That just screams Ugly Americans who should never leave the country.   When you are living in a climate like Central America where fruit and vegetables grow plentiful, why not avail yourself of them?  Fresh tomatoes grow outside where the sun hits them just like God intended.  Fresh pineapple cut from the earth when it is ripe and not early because of transport.  According to my little brother those were worth it when he visited Costa Rica.   The odds of contacting e coli would be the same as eating at Chipotle or eating romaine lettuce.   I just cannot comprehend avoiding these foods because of the slim chance of food poisoning. 

I really don't think it is them being Ugly Americans, though I have no doubt they acted like Ugly Americans down there in other ways. I have never been to El Salvador, but I am finding numerous websites that urge caution about uncooked produce there, including from the government of Canada. I think it is more than "a slim chance of food poisoning" that drives this advice. The Canadian website mentions the possibility of contracting cholera, typhoid fever, and hepatitis A, in addition to traveler's diarrhea. 

The Canadian website also says "Boil it, cook it, peel it or leave it!" And they also caution "Only eat foods that are well cooked and served hot." and "Only eat fruits and vegetables if you have washed them in safe water or peeled them yourself. Avoid salads, or other items that are made with fresh produce."

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/el-salvador

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/food-water

In light of that, I cannot fault Jill for cooking vegetables while there as a precaution. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 18
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

I really don't think it is them being Ugly Americans, though I have no doubt they acted like Ugly Americans down there in other ways. I have never been to El Salvador, but I am finding numerous websites that urge caution about uncooked produce there, including from the government of Canada. I think it is more than "a slim chance of food poisoning" that drives this advice. The Canadian website mentions the possibility of contracting cholera, typhoid fever, and hepatitis A, in addition to traveler's diarrhea. 

The Canadian website also says "Boil it, cook it, peel it or leave it!" And they also caution "Only eat foods that are well cooked and served hot." and "Only eat fruits and vegetables if you have washed them in safe water or peeled them yourself. Avoid salads, or other items that are made with fresh produce."

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/el-salvador

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/food-water

In light of that, I cannot fault Jill for cooking vegetables while there as a precaution. 

That website also says not to eat street food right under the avoid salads.  I would take those points under advisement, but i do think it is an overreaction.   When I finally get to Mexico,  I am eating all the street food.  Why go if you are not going to eat the local delicacies?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That website also says not to eat street food right under the avoid salads.  I would take those points under advisement, but i do think it is an overreaction.   When I finally get to Mexico,  I am eating all the street food.  Why go if you are not going to eat the local delicacies?

I can certainly understand your point, but I just can't criticize someone for following the recommended guidelines. I imagine if Jill had said something about eating raw vegetables in El Salvador, she would have been attacked on here for that. I personally don't eat street food, even in the U.S., because I have some phobias about it (you cannot convince me food trucks are sanitary LOL), but I don't think avoiding street food automatically equals not eating local delicacies. It just means not eating that particular local delicacy. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I’m going to side with Jill on this one. When it comes to foodborne pathogens, eating at your local Chipotle is nowhere near as dangerous as eating raw, unpeeled fruits and vegetables in a developing country. We aren’t just worried about e. Coli. Salmonella, hepatitis, campylobacter... there are a ton of different organisms that are food and water borne that can make you sick enough to ruin your vacation, or even kill you. I have no doubt Jill and Derick are not the most culturally sensitive people in the world, but following commonsense advice from the CDC and the WHO does not an ugly American make. Besides, can you imagine if they’d fed Izzy uncooked veggies and he’d gotten sick? People would be raking Derick and Jill over the coals and calling for CPS investigations. 

Regarding street food, this is just anecdotal and you gotta do you, but in South America Mr. Mistake ate some undercooked food from a street vendor and we lost three days of our vacation because he couldn’t do anything except drink Gatorade and... well, you can guess the other thing. Fortunately we had Cipro with us, because otherwise we’d probably have lost a lot more time. I guess like we were talking about above, it’s all risk versus reward. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When I finally get to Mexico,  I am eating all the street food.  Why go if you are not going to eat the local delicacies?

Word according to someone who lives near the border and family visits regularly, please pack a case of Immodium.  There are safe places and not safe places.  As a tourist you will not know which are which.  Even the safe resorts are not always safe.  

Jill was not wrong to be cautious.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

I may be wrong, but I think on one of Jill's inst-stories, she said something about re-posting all her recipies. She had posted a ton on that particular story. Might be why we are seeing this one again and old pictures of Sam. I don't recall her reasoning for this, but maybe the leghumpers were asking for them.

• Love 4

A bunch of posts that did not reference the Duggars AT ALL have been once again removed.

Folks, this is a really simple rule. It's pinned just above the reply box. if you post is not DIRECTLY, PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it'll be removed. 

• Love 10

They don't live anywhere near an NBA city, so I don't know how much interest Derelict (or other fundies) would have in the sport or Kobe in particular. I don't remember if Derelict played any basketball himself. He seemed to be into swimming and track.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I'm really surprised Derick hasn't posted about Kobe Bryant's death. Derick was a jock in high school. Kobe was/is a god for jocks of Derick's age. Are fundies allowed to watch the NBA?

Kobe wasn't the right type of Christian for Derick to care.  Apparently Kobe was Catholic.  And he was also a rapist.

• Love 14
54 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yet Anna made a sad / praying emoticon post about it....

Well, Anna does tend to be a fan of people accused of sex crimes... if she knows the story of Vanessa Bryant standing by her man on television while he said "sure I left bruises on my one-night-stand's throat but it was consensual," it would be easy enough for her to identify. Subconsciously, of course, since she's nowhere near self-aware enough to make the connection.

• Love 8
Just now, Picture It. Sicily said:

They don't care about rape. They don't care about molestation. 

I'm pretty sure Jill and Derick care. Derick said on IG that Jill is an abuse victim. She's been reading about recovery from toxic relationships. In this issue, they stand apart from JB and Michelle. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

I'm really surprised Derick hasn't posted about Kobe Bryant's death. Derick was a jock in high school. Kobe was/is a god for jocks of Derick's age. Are fundies allowed to watch the NBA?

The Duggars were officially against all sports when the show started. At some point, that went away. Gothard was against all official sports/teams. That's why the Duggars were against sports. Again they changed their minds. 

Gothard's main goal was to isolate his supporters. That's why no outside jobs i. e. a man must work for himself, homeschooling, no pop culture, no sports, etc.c 

Of the in-laws, most of them (meaning Austin and the girls) are IBLP and wouldn't have followed sports. Derick, Jeremy, and Ben are all more mainstream and into sports. It may be their combined influence and the waning influence of Mr. Gothard that brought the Duggars around.

A couple years ago I noticed Jill made a comment about missing baseball in C/A, which seemed strange considered she didn't grow up with baseball. Her comments seemed less "we actually watched sports" and more "pandering to people's ideas about America". Jeremy brought Jinger, Jessa etc. to a soccer game. Even more out of character, Jessa made an informed about soccer being less popular in the USA (although that's changing) and how it was surprising that the pro-game was so well attended. 

IBLP still exists, although Bill Gothard is out. Under the new management, the standards seem to be relaxing. IBLP is still a deeply harmful organization, and most of the changes are superficial.  Things like following sports, and shorter skirts, etc. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9

I always thought of Derick as more of a fringe jock and Jeremy as a soccer jock. I'm guessing they both know who Kobe is though.

Tragic that so many lives were lost. 

At least Jill and Derick aren't often hopping in the puddle jumpers, the Duggars call planes. I keep thinking we're going to wake up to similar headlines about the Duggars.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Taking over from the Lonely Js thread...

There should be a meme made for Derick! Unlike many of the Duggars he actually does have a LinkedIn profile. Tinder could be something related to Becky from the Third Row...

Please leave poor Becky out of it. I don’t want her going viral without the context that shows she’s obviously satire. 

• Love 9

If I was a Duggar-in-law man, I'd stay away from posting anything about Kobe's death even if I was fan.  Kobe's history in regards to rape allegations and treating women (most notably, his wife, who claimed in her divorce filing* that he cheated on her something like 105 times that she knew of) poorly would lead to people commenting something about Josh's crimes and abuse.  I'd stay away from dredging that up on social media if I had a following like theirs because I would just prefer to avoid people making those comments & potentially dragging up more feelings that my wife is (Jill) or isn't (the other victims) trying to work through. 

It also opens up people making the post about Kobe and his daughter dying all about the Duggars and not those who actually died), so they'd also run the risk of people accusing them of posting about Kobe because they knew it would draw attention to themselves by doing so because of the Duggars' scandals.  I'd stay radio silent about Kobe's death if I was in their shoes because I wouldn't want to engage with the comments I'd get at all (heck, I've mostly avoided talking about it in my real life except to a select few friends because I don't want to have to listen to people excusing away how he treated Vanessa - who my heart aches for - for much of their marriage and the rape allegations because he's a great ball player who died tragically).  I think staying quiet is a really smart & shrewd decision given the Duggars' history (and honestly, I'm kind of shocked they were smart enough not to post anything, given how much Jeremy & Derick both love attention). 

(It's also a possibility they aren't saying much because for Jeremy, Ben, & Derick, the fact that Kobe was Catholic probably also means they don't think he or his daughter could have gone anywhere but Hell due not to Kobe's sins, but because he & his family were in the wrong chapter of the Jesus Fan Club.  Either way, I think it's smart of them not to mention Kobe's death on social media in any way.)

*Vanessa & Kobe ended up not going through with the divorce & remained married.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Useful 9
  • Love 15

Anna follows and has retweeted nasty shit from that witch Laura Ingraham who told basketball players to "shut up and dribble" when they spoke out about politics. I'm surprised she even posted little prayer hands for Kobe, although someone on reddit pointed out that the guy she retweeted the tribute from is also a nasty piece of work. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Anna follows and has retweeted nasty shit from that witch Laura Ingraham who told basketball players to "shut up and dribble" when they spoke out about politics. I'm surprised she even posted little prayer hands for Kobe, although someone on reddit pointed out that the guy she retweeted the tribute from is also a nasty piece of work. 

I absolutely despise her. 

• Love 20

Anything the Duggars and a Duggar in-law post, risk Josh being brought up. I think I'm one of the few that think most of the time it's brought up on their SM it is unrelated and unfair.

However in this instance, if they know about Kobe, they would likely admire Vanessa for standing by her man.  A woman who had the means to walk away. They would see the masses forgiving and/or ignoring Kobe's behaviors.

So unfortunately, the Duggars could twist this in their favor.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Anything the Duggars and a Duggar in-law post, risk Josh being brought up. I think I'm one of the few that think most of the time it's brought up on their SM it is unrelated and unfair.

However in this instance, if they know about Kobe, they would likely admire Vanessa for standing by her man.  A woman who had the means to walk away. They would see the masses forgiving and/or ignoring Kobe's behaviors.

So unfortunately, the Duggars could twist this in their favor.

I don’t know, I don’t think they supported Hillary in doing the same. Just a bunch of hypocrites.

• Love 21
20 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t know, I don’t think they supported Hillary in doing the same. Just a bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe they believed the Clintons should be held to a higher standard because they’re involved in politics ... oh wait. 
🙄

• LOL 23
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t think they supported Hillary in doing the same. Just a bunch of hypocrites.

But I'll bet they'd use her as an example of their belief that when a man is unfaithful, it's the wife's fault for not being attentive and submissive enough.

Wow I didn't mean to bring up such a debate. Just that Derick, Ben and Jeremy are all into sports so I thought they'd post about Kobe. As for me no my thinking is no matter what you think of Kobe my heart breaks for Vanessa. No mother ever deserves that sort of loss. 

• Love 13

In my experience as an editor, the more someone loudly proclaims about the book they are writing, the less likely they are actually writing one. 

Not always true, of course, but I do wonder if this is something he just talks about or how much progress he's actually made on it.

Like Capote talking for years about a nearly finished manuscript that didn't exist, except he was more talented and fabulous than Derick. 🙂

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am not going to lie, that does look pretty good.  Now, I would not want to eat that on a weekly basis, but every now and then, why not.  

Exactly.  How many of us have never had a crappy delicious meal just because - maybe it is a comfort food for her.  My mother was an awful cook so my comfort food is spaghetti and a can of contadina tomato sauce straight from the can.  Not spaghetti sauce, etc.  just that little 8 oz. can.  Still comfort food I eat now and then.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Exactly.  How many of us have never had a crappy delicious meal just because - maybe it is a comfort food for her.  My mother was an awful cook so my comfort food is spaghetti and a can of contadina tomato sauce straight from the can.  Not spaghetti sauce, etc.  just that little 8 oz. can.  Still comfort food I eat now and then.

Growing up, when I was home from school, my mom would make me an Underwood Deviled Ham sandwich (with miracle whip). After my last surgery, I made sure I had some in the pantry, no miracle whip but I did use mayo. My mom was a good cook too, but this is a salty and fatty delight. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My mother was a horrible cook as well. The only meat seasoning she ever used was salt and pepper, and she had an affinity for canned peas. No wonder my brother ended up marrying a chef. 

Jill's TTC doesn't look half bad, at least in comparison to the slop we saw in the early years of 19K&C. Maybe she upgraded her recipe? 

• Love 11

I can’t always knock Jill cream o’whatever concoctions since iI’ll be making turkey and wild rice casserole tomorrow using COM soup. I actually eat real vegetables though, I don’t eat like this every day, and I know how to tweak heavy recipes to make them a little healthier.  Oh, and my food is also seasoned with something other than salt, soy sauce or Bragg’s amino acid. My food is also identifiable.  

Poor Jill really is trying and I give her credit for that, but she’s got a long way to go.  

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 18

Growing up, my  mom made TTC, but hers was a little healthier.  I make it about twice a year, and it's a favorite at my house.  My recipe is lean turkey, then fresh or frozen green beans, low sodium cream of mushroom soup, and tater tots.  It's good comfort food for cold winter nights.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of the infamous tater tot casserole before! What's all over the top of it? It looks like Velveeta. 

If they only ate these type of meals every once in a while, I wouldn't knock it, but it seems like a majority of their diet is canned something, beige, and soaked in sodium. I love a good green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, Mormon funeral potatoes, etc. as much as the next person, but I don't eat them every week otherwise I'd end up looking like David Rodrigues and drop dead of a heart attack. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of the infamous tater tot casserole before! What's all over the top of it? It looks like Velveeta.

It is Velveeta. 

• Love 3