Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chris Knight

Jill & Derick Dullard: Counting On (Donations)

I used to hear older people in Baptist churches refer to a concert or program at church as a cantata, but I don't think I've heard in twenty years.

• Useful 1

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I went to church a lot for the first 21-ish years of my life and never attended one that had a cantata for, well, anything. I am more familiar with cantatas from the realm of music. I assume it depends on the denomination and perhaps the formality of the individual churches on whether or not they have one? 

Wikipedia seems to think that a Christmas cantata is just like any other cantata, except Christmas themed, so hopefully the church itself knows what they did and whether or not it has multiple movements.  🤔 

Edited by queenanne
  • Laugh 4

14 hours ago, Absolom said:

Can't use fresh lemon or garlic?  Jill shops like my mom did 60 years ago.

I use fresh garlic, and have no use for the pre-chopped sort in jars.  Given the price of lemons, though, and the fact that sometimes you don't even know if a lemon is going to be juicy enough, I find bottled lemon juice so much more economical (I tend to use it quite a lot), and it's a natural product, so bottled lemon juice is a staple in my kitchen. I use fresh lemons when the zest is also an important part of the recipe, but otherwise the bottled is just as good. 

• Like 18
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I hope Jill tipped!

If she did, it was with a Bible tract meant to save the soul of her manicurist. Money pales beside a gift like that!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

If she did, it was with a Bible tract meant to save the soul of her manicurist. Money pales beside a gift like that!

I wonder if Jill and Derrick's thoughts on tipping have changed since he has been driving for grubhub where tips are a lot of the income for drivers.

I can see it going either way - they might think to tip others or they might think only they, as persecuted christians screwed out of money by TLC and JB deserve tips or some such thing like that

• Like 13
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Given the price of lemons, though, and the fact that sometimes you don't even know if a lemon is going to be juicy enough, I find bottled lemon juice so much more economical

I admit I don't know the price of lemons so maybe I should excuse that one.  I live in southern California so lemons are not usually store bought.  The neighbors and I share a tree and have so many we're feeding the birds and squirrels with the excess.  

• Like 13

55 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I would rather have a bible tract then a tip any day wouldn't you?

• Laugh 6

13 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I admit I don't know the price of lemons so maybe I should excuse that one.  I live in southern California so lemons are not usually store bought.  The neighbors and I share a tree and have so many we're feeding the birds and squirrels with the excess.  

Typically, they are about two for a dollar here. You can get them cheaper if you get a bigger bag, but I always find, in that case, that they are a much poorer quality than the ones I can choose off the shelf, and many start rotting within days.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I probably shop somewhat like Jill. I hate the smell of chopping garlic and lemons are very expensive here, so I use bottled for both. I also use cream of <something> soups to make  comfort-food casseroles like dear old mom use to make. Although, I don't make them very often and my meals are seldom beige

I buy the jarred minced garlic as well. I love fresh, but I feel like I can never get the smell off my hands, no matter how hard I scrub. 

• Like 23

22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I buy the jarred minced garlic as well. I love fresh, but I feel like I can never get the smell off my hands, no matter how hard I scrub. 

Somehow, I don't mind the garlic on my hands. I can understand how it could be annoying, but it just doesn't annoy me enough to not chop it fresh. It comes off in time, and in the meantime, I guess I just enjoy the smell of garlic, whether in food or on my hands 😁 

It does come off pretty easily with lemon juice, though.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I wonder if Jill and Derrick's thoughts on tipping have changed since he has been driving for grubhub where tips are a lot of the income for drivers.

I can see it going either way - they might think to tip others or they might think only they, as persecuted christians screwed out of money by TLC and JB deserve tips or some such thing like that

I don’t think Derek tells her about tips  nothing to base this feeling on   Just a feeling I get 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

42 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I don’t think Derek tells her about tips  nothing to base this feeling on   Just a feeling I get 

this has me laughing - can't you see Derrick keeping the tips and giving Jill a handful of tracts saying those were the tips people gave him? 😂

• Laugh 14

Another entry from Sam, a.k.a. @mynextmistake!!  Can I get a "Yayyyy!??"

18 hours ago, JoanArc said:

"Here's my nails. They might have some McMuffin underneath. My mother-in-law- will tip well if it all come out."

I mean seriously, what is the technician supposed to do here?  Ask her to wash the grease off of her hands before doing her mani?  What if a chunk of McMuffin falls off and lands on her still-wet pedi?  Who's going to have to fix that nonsense?  And while I have only had a few mani/pedis in my life, I cannot imagine that the aroma of nail polish and acetone combines well with a mouthful of egg and cheese.

I suppose it's possible that this breakfast out/salon combo was manipulated by Dreck, making Jill bring her food to the salon to shorten the duration of their "date."  If so, well played, but still possibly the stupidest "date" I have ever heard of.  At least eat your crap in your minivan like you usually do, you weirdos.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 16

4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I kind of hope he’s gotten numerous million dollar tracts as tips.  These people like empathy, so that’s the only way they will learn how inappropriate that is. 

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Jill's house is a new build, yet it has textured wall paint. Is that a regional thing? In my next of the woods you usually only see textured wall paint in old homes where folks are using a cheaper way to hide a wall that may have aged with cracks, dents, many picture holes, wallpaper, etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill's house is a new build, yet it has textured wall paint. Is that a regional thing? In my next of the woods you usually only see textured wall paint in old homes where folks are using a cheaper way to hide a wall that may have aged with cracks, dents, many picture holes, wallpaper, etc.

Do you mean the texture on the wall in front of Isreal? If so, I don't think that's textured wall paint, I think that's "orange peel" spray on the drywall itself. It's pretty common in new builds around here, it's much easier to spray that on the walls than to try and do a smooth coat over the drywall. You can find that stuff in a can at Home Depot. 

image.png

• Useful 3

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Her kitchen dining area is looking like Jana might have paid a visit....  I'm still not a fan of the table up against the wall.

I'm guessing the table is place like that so Jill & Derrick can sit next to each other. 🤢

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, ginger90 said:
3 hours ago, NJMom said:

No, but it is how most kids sit.

Thank you! He's a four-year old coloring at home, and he doesn't appear to be in any danger. 

• Like 17

4 hours ago, NJMom said:

No, but it is how most kids sit.

my grandkids are verbal things like this and have said they cannot sit on their butts in a big chair, at a big table and write. they can't hold a pencil or crayon at the right angle to write and can't see what they are writing/drawing. 

they do however have to have their butts on the chair when eating a meal

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 9

Textured walls seem to be more common in states west of the Mississippi.  I have lived in Texas, Colorado, and Nevada, have family in Oregon, Arizona, and California, and all have some type of textured drywall.  But when we lived in Pennsylvania our house had smooth drywall, as does my brother’s place in Illinois.

Jill and Derick’s place is similar in style to the houses in Texas, so I’m not surprised they have textured walls.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 5

The Dullards don't have a dining room, just that large kitchen space. However, it's hard to tell if there's enough room between the table and the half wall that juts out to pull the table off the wall. They don't have an island, so it's all open space.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I'm guessing the table is place like that so Jill & Derrick can sit next to each other. 🤢

They had it that way in the last place also.

I see Sam likes his feet dirty like Aunt Joy.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, Olliesmom said:

My table is up against the wall and does not look stupid.  In my home, it’s the best location for it.  To each their own.  

I'm with you.  Growing up our  kitchen table was against two walls in a corner & pulled out when necessary depending on how many of us were eating together.  Same thing with the kitchen in our previous house. The table was against the wall due to space & pulled out as necessary.  It looked fine. 

I think the Dillard's eating area is different than the norm for a newer house.  Most houses that don't have a separate formal dining room have a smaller dining area off of the kitchen or an island/counter than can be used as an eating area.  Instead they have a large eat in kitchen which was probably cheaper for the builder.  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Having the table shoved up to the wall is just plain stupid and annoys my decorating senses. 

I had to do that in my first house. The kitchen was the size of a postage stamp and there was no room. 

• Like 8

On 12/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, BitterApple said:

Stainless steel is supposed to get that smell off.  Rub it on your hands.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

20 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

They had it that way in the last place also.

I see Sam likes his feet dirty like Aunt Joy.

I thought that Sam's was an expression of alarm, actually.  😅

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oooooh.....is she listening to this because she's cutting out her toxic parents? (Please say yes!)

Maybe toxic spouses, too! I'm afraid she'd go nuts and walk away from her (perceived) toxic kids - she's not an Izzy fan.

a friend of Gary's suggested he read the book of Luke and count how many times Jesus walked away. To Gary's amazement, Jesus walked away from people 41 times in the gospels.

Of course, he also walked up to whores and tax collectors and befriended them at every opportunity. Can't see Jilly doing that - yet.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 11

37 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Jill mentions “my brother is in law enforcement “

Uh what? I don’t think any of her brothers are real cops? 

Pretend cop JD?

Yeah, I'm sure that's who she meant. Rent a cop JD.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Aethera

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.