Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

In my country children do not need to learn to read and write until they start school at average age of six and a half. Do US kids really teach it that early?

I mean, our kids do not need to know, but some learn. My son is almost 6, he reads, writes, not only in our language, but also in English. And he will start school next September

In my state in the U.S. in order to enter Kindergarten at age 5 kids need to be able to say the alphabet, count to 20, recognize the 8 basic colors, and know several shapes. They are also expected to be able to read by Christmas break.

ETA: They also need to know how to write their name.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 6

I watched that entire video, and I’m sorry but I don’t see any favoring of Sam over Israel or any dislike of Israel. I see two parents who are trying to decorate and film at the same time, interacting with their children normally. I heard Derrick thank Israel twice in that video, and I heard Jill and Derrick ask both Sam and Israel to stop two different sets of behavior: Israel being impatient and not to gentle with the ornaments and Sam playing with the light switches. 

No, Israel does not get their undivided attention, and no, they didn’t answer all 20 plus questions he asked over that 16 minute video, but that seems perfectly normal to me. The fact is Israel is at that more than a little annoying stage where his brain is working a mile in a minute, and he never shuts up. There’s nothing wrong with his behavior of course, but there’s also nothing horribly wrong with how Jill and Derrick respond to him.  

• Love 15

I'm sure this book he claims to be writing will simply be "his" story from his viewpoint, How marrying into a reality TV famous family changed his life for the good and the bad, etc.  How his faith in God has allowed him to enter law school, blah, blah blah  I seriously doubt it will be a scathing tell-all like everyone wants.  His mom just had a book published, I'm sure he's getting support from her on the process.

• Love 18

I think the book will be a marriage manual for showcasing their awesome marriage. Anything else just won't work. Plus, Derick is just so predictable about stirring up shit, isn't he. As much an attention seeker as any Duggar.

• Love 17

How much does Derrick really know?

As someone else said, the abuse by the parents are not his story to tell. He's not the one who lived it. 

As for the financial stuff, he can talk about not being paid by for the show. But I'm not sure JB showed him his accounting books. 

I also find it hard to believe that Jill & Derrick didn't get some money at some point when they first married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Is he really planning to write a Duggar family exposé, though, or just some festival of arrogance autobiography at the ripe old age of thirty?

ETA: Queenanne and I simul-posted! But I could see Derick deciding his godliness and work in Nepal would make a book...and I can also see him hinting that the book will have “Duggar secrets” that’ll turn out to be recipes involving canned soup and tater tots.

Agree with you and @queenanne.

If it was mostly about exposing the Duggars and not so much about Derrick himself, I'd buy it, though. Derrick espouses a lot of vile viewpoints, but I'd buy/read his book if it exposed the Duggars. 

On 12/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill has been doing some studying on her own over the last year.  She will occasionally show the book she is reading or podcast she is listening to on her Instagram stories.  These titles all have one overarching theme--becoming a happy adult after an emotionally stunted childhood.  I would not be surprised to find out that she is seeing a liked-minded Christian therapist.  There is no way to know if Jill made this decision or if Derick pushed her into it, but she is trying to help herself which is more than what any of her other adult siblings has done.  I would also never announce to the world that I was in therapy, so Jill may be keeping this on the DL. 

This is why I have a soft spot for Jill.

23 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick for sure has the right to be upset and keep his children away from Josh- full stop.

I'd also say it would be reasonable if Derrick vocalized that he was uncomfortable with his children being around Michelle/JB a lot or without other responsible adults around in a situation like a birthday party, etc.  Michelle and JB did not protect their daughters even though it happened more than once (more than twice!). They put it on the girls to protect themselves (all sleeping in the dorm room, wearing their day clothes to bed, having the girls lock their door) rather than dealing with the perpetrator and getting him proper treatment (if Derrick encouraged Jill to go to real therapy, he's probably irked that the Duggars never got Josh "real" help).  I could understand if he didn't want his kids just spending any of the times that Jill was bored by herself over at the TTH where kids & grandkids run wild while the adults do whatever.  I'd get it if he was only okay with the kids being around JB/Michelle at large family holiday gatherings/parties (where Derrick would likely be present himself and there would be other adults in the family he trusts around beside JB/Michelle). 

Obviously, I wouldn't want my kids around Josh.  But I'd also feel some kind of way about my kids spending a lot of time in the home of the people who failed to protect their children from him and who have written off his vile acts as curiosity, excused it, and didn't get him help. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 23
1 minute ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Obviously, I wouldn't want my kids around Josh.  But I'd also feel some kind of way about my kids spending a lot of time in the home of the people who failed to protect their children from him and who have written off his vile acts as curiosity, excused it, and didn't get him help. 

Slow clap.

Brava!

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m sure Jim gave them a payout when they left the show. Even now it’s possible they are being supported by Jim.

I think JB supported them at one point, but I don't think he's supporting them now. I don't think Derrick would be running his mouth off if JB was paying the bills. He seems really angry about the financial situation. I'm guessing that he feels that he didn't get his piece of the pie. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I think the book will be a marriage manual for showcasing their awesome marriage. Anything else just won't work. Plus, Derick is just so predictable about stirring up shit, isn't he. As much an attention seeker as any Duggar.

Audrey and Jeremy Roloff (Little People, Big World) already wrote the marriage book about the most amazing marriage ever, and Jill is promoting it and related merchandise on her Instagram. I doubt the Dillards can top the Roloffs, but the bar is low for marriage books authored by young couples with limited experience and poor writing skills (a genre of its own). Also, it's not enough to write a book; the author has to get out and sell it. When would Derick have time to do that? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I watched that entire video, and I’m sorry but I don’t see any favoring of Sam over Israel or any dislike of Israel. I see two parents who are trying to decorate and film at the same time, interacting with their children normally. I heard Derrick thank Israel twice in that video, and I heard Jill and Derrick ask both Sam and Israel to stop two different sets of behavior: Israel being impatient and not to gentle with the ornaments and Sam playing with the light switches. 

No, Israel does not get their undivided attention, and no, they didn’t answer all 20 plus questions he asked over that 16 minute video, but that seems perfectly normal to me. The fact is Israel is at that more than a little annoying stage where his brain is working a mile in a minute, and he never shuts up. There’s nothing wrong with his behavior of course, but there’s also nothing horribly wrong with how Jill and Derrick respond to him.  

Agreed 100%.  I do think Jill has failed at times to exercise good judgement in the types of videos she posts with the kids (example: when one or both are upset or crying), I've never picked up on dislike or distain for either child. It seems like a trope that was created and now there's some confirmation bias at work when people view the pictures and videos.

• Love 14

Wouldn't it be great if the media got a hold of Dreck's plan/threat to write a Duggar tell-all, ran with it and put him on the spot?

I could see Dreck immediately back pedaling, talking in circles and claiming he never said anything of the sort. His plan all along was to write a book chronicling his mad skills as a missionary and soul saver. Because we all want to read about that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Now that Derick got his message out there about wanting to write a book, I wonder how long it will take before he gets a book deal.  I can totally see the staff at one of the Big 5 publishers (or more) doing the numbers today to see how well this book could sell.  If it looks like it could be a bestseller, then it could happen.  The publisher would provide the ghostwriter and editors to make it happen and set Derick up with a book agent.  If they work fast enough, the book could hit late spring 2020.  Or the numbers aren't there, and this book never happens.  It's really a coin toss at this point.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5

So Israel graduated from kindergarten. That is so sweet, now he and Jill have the same educational level. 

IIRC, Jill posted on IG about Israel writing his name on the wall, then like a typical child denied it. The S was written backwards, very common in kids his age. So either not recognizing his name was a fluke, or Godly Jilly Muffin staged the incident. A Duggar lying? Never!

Edited by SMama
  • LOL 7
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I think JB supported them at one point, but I don't think he's supporting them now. I don't think Derrick would be running his mouth off if JB was paying the bills. He seems really angry about the financial situation. I'm guessing that he feels that he didn't get his piece of the pie. 

Imagine how much it must burn if Josh and family are receiving a bigger slice than Jill and family -- not only based on the fact he abused his sisters, but that Jill was pushed out in front of the cameras and bright lights to keep them all Counting On the $$$.

• Love 2

Count me in among those who think Derick's tweet was more of his trollingly vague answers. He might be writing a book, but it's more in line with what his mother did, a memoir about his path to fundie Jesus. He'll go on about Nepal and Danger America and maybe go into his squabbles with TLC, but he's not going into tell-all territory.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, SMama said:

So Israel graduated from kindergarten. That is so sweet, now he and Jill have the same educational level. 

Lol 😂🤣😂

1 hour ago, SMama said:

The S was written backwards,

Perhaps he needs to be evaluated for dyslexia. It also might help explain why he had trouble recognizing his own name. Sadly I know that it won’t happen. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, coconspirator said:

Agreed 100%.  I do think Jill has failed at times to exercise good judgement in the types of videos she posts with the kids (example: when one or both are upset or crying), I've never picked up on dislike or distain for either child. It seems like a trope that was created and now there's some confirmation bias at work when people view the pictures and videos.

It's not entirely biased when we've heard Derick and Jill themselves talk about needing to have another child so that Israel doesn't think the world revolves around him or when they spoke of him as an infant having a basically evil nature.  I realize that those are their religious beliefs, but they are not beliefs shared by most of us and, when those of us who do not think of babies as inherently evil or selfish hear parents talking about their own flesh and blood in those terms; it does cause us to pause and wonder.  I suspect Jill and Derick feel the same way about Sam, but, maybe they learned their lesson and aren't publicizing their second son's sinfulness.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick for sure has the right to be upset and keep his children away from Josh- full stop.

The other decisions are Jill's and Jill's alone. If Jill is okay with being around Josh, that's her decision. If Jill doesn't want to be near Josh, that's her decision. If Jill wants to write a story, that's her decision.

And just to clarify, I don't see Jill or anyone who has been abused as damaged goods. That sentence was to emphasize that I don't believe when Derick found out, whether before or after the marriage, should matter.

The abuse is Jill's story.  What happened with the family after he got involved with her IS his story to tell as well as hers.  So maybe she should have a few chapters.  It may be helpful to her to speak her truth.  Or not.  But I am here for all the deets re the contracts and the inner workings of the family.  It would be very interesting and popcorn worthy. 

Frankly, I think we got the story re the abuse from Alice years before it came out in the media.  The media confirmed pretty much everything she posted about.  I know all I need to about gropey Josh.  I do however believe it involved more than the 5 we heard about and I believe it was way worse.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Reversing letters is very common at four.

I think I did mention that in my post. SGirl was still reversing letters in kindergarten, then by first grade it was gone. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Reversing letters is very common at four.

I have been retired for a while from the special education field, and philosophy changes rapidly in education.  However, it used to be considered that reversing letters/numbers etc., was not educationally significant until about age 8. As I said, that may well have changed. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Wait... what? She has boys? Why didn’t anybody tell me???

And I thought we were such a tight knit online community 😞.

SGirl is 12, what if people do not know I’m a #girlmom? Must create IG account to inform no one.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

In the comments, someone asked Jill why they aren’t on the show. She replied, ( which is unusual for Jill) “We decided to stop because it just got to be a little too much for us.”

Sure Jan. 😁

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

Jill didn’t have to answer. Is it possible that while still craving the spotlight (is all she knows) Jill is maybe realizing it just was not normal? Nah.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, leighdear said:

In Touch keeps calling these people Tweeting at Derick "fans".  I hope they realize that many of these people deliberately bait him, troll him and post provocative crap just to get a reaction from him.  I'd say they're poking the bear, but Derick is no bear.  Maybe a weasel. 

Real fans don't actually ask real questions.  They just blather about them being sooooo sweet!!! and their kids are soooo cute!!!  And bless them!  Bless them!  Bless them!

I'm pretty sure that the metrics that track these things don't care.  Twitter doesn't note "hate-followers" separately in the "followers" category; just the same way that Nielsen doesn't separate "hate-watchers" from real watchers. 2.4M (or whatever) followers, is 2.4M followers; so doubtless Derick looks reasonably popular by Twitter metrics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I wasn't able to be on here yesterday during the height of the book talk. LOL I would never pay money to read a Derick book, but I'd totally check one out of the library and read the shit out of it if it was a tell-all. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, queenanne said:

I'm pretty sure that the metrics that track these things don't care.  Twitter doesn't note "hate-followers" separately in the "followers" category; just the same way that Nielsen doesn't separate "hate-watchers" from real watchers. 2.4M (or whatever) followers, is 2.4M followers; so doubtless Derick looks reasonably popular by Twitter metrics.

We should suggest this break out to Twitter.  Fans vs. Haters?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Jill’s floors are clean! 

Izzy looks so grown up.

I was going to post that his feet are clean!  Clean floors or he just got out of the bath. Remember joys filthy feet a while back. 

• LOL 6