Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s better to ask other people to pay for your schooling than take out loans apparently. Just like it was better for JB to rely on gifts from his church rather than support his family. I’m not ashamed that I took out student loans - and paid back every penny myself - but I would be mortified to ask others to subsidize me.

No kidding.  My daughter took loans out, and with our help, she finally got them paid off 10 years after she graduated.  No grants, scholarships, or free money from anywhere.

Dillweed can go suck an egg if he thinks everyone has the same opportunities to grift that he did/does.  

• Love 24

Derelict has said he got through undergrad debt-free (scholarships and grants), but how he is financing law school (or his house) is anyone's best guess. Grub Hub probably covers their electricity bill.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Please Derick, enlighten us and tell us exactly how you're paying for law school and a brand new house. Tell us where that money comes from, because things don't add up.

Grub Hub must pay extremely well 🙄🙄

• LOL 9
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I agree, she's nothing special.  Of course, what with all the lotion applying and waiting in parking lots for Derick to get done Grub Hubbing, she probably doesn't get much harp practice time.

I have no idea how much practice time she can fit in these days, but she sounds as though she is reasonably proficient but rusty. I used to be quite good on the piano, to the point that I had to make the choice of whether to pursue it further, which would have demanded several extra hours a day of practice, or just as a hobby. I chose the latter. At Jill's age, and even for another 10-15 years, I varied between "pretty good" and "kinda rusty". These days, I feel as though I'd need a solid six months of daily work to even reach "passable". Some arthritis and trigger fingers are to blame for a bit of that, but mostly it's just that I don't get around to practicing of a regular basis. I'm totally going to give Jill the benefit of the doubt here, and assume that she could sound a whole lot better if she practiced. There's nothing there which suggests that she wasn't pretty decent at some point.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Derelict has said he got through undergrad debt-free (scholarships and grants), but how he is financing law school (or his house) is anyone's best guess. Grub Hub probably covers their electricity bill.

I saw it speculated the Der could've gotten free tuition because his dad went to OSU and was the mascot. Some schools do that - does OSU?

Derick of all people is accusing others of having a "victim mentality"?!

But at the same time DON'T YOU KNOW THAT CHIRSTIANS THE THE MOST OPPRESSED GROUP IN THE US?

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Totally said:

Granted I’m not a musician, but I thought Jill played the harp well

It's one of the most difficult instruments to play. She sounded as though she was out of practice, but the fundamentals were sound.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Something like a $200k, with a $200k house they just bought - plus every other life expense.

No, he's paying nowhere near that to go to the U of A's law school. He'll end up owing $25,000-30,000 by the time his 3 years are up. A decent chunk of change but nowhere near 6 digits. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Zella said:

No, he's paying nowhere near that to go to the U of A's law school. He'll end up owing $25,000-30,000 by the time his 3 years are up. A decent chunk of change but nowhere near 6 digits. 

I added a zero. Oops.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Totally said:

Granted I’m not a musician, but I thought Jill played the harp well

I hope so.

While the rest of us were studying, participating in sports and clubs, spending time with friends, dating -- oh and learning to cook, clean, make a bed, and pick out flattering clothes for ourselves -- Jill was watching her siblings and playing the harp.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/21/2019 at 4:57 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

Especially with two kids running around and she probably has not had any time to practice.

I noticed that Sammy got to touch the harp while Jill played, but Izzy was promptly reprimanded when he came near.  By Derick who has never liked Izzy.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She's back to squinting into the sun and flashing that gummy smile of hers.  Not good.  I guess I must be really vain, but I don't post selfies unless I am happy with the way I look, which means I almost never post selfies.  Of course, I'm a baby boomer and not a millennial; so that might be part of it.  If I were Jill, about 95% of these photos would be deleted before anyone saw them.

Why can't she see how horribly bad that picture is?  I seriously wonder what's wrong with her.

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Jill looks okay. She can’t help the way her gums/teeth look. 

She doesn't have to face the sun and squint and she doesn't have to show her gums that much - she doesn't always do so.  This is just her obliviousness at work again.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Jill looks okay. She can’t help the way her gums/teeth look.

She can practice smiling without lifting her lip way above the gum line if she cares which she apparently doesn't.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Maybe Derrick took the picture. He would enjoy making Jill gaze into the sun in order to make her look as bad as possible. 

I think if Derick was there, there would have been a picture of him.

What gets me about the pictures is, it’s as if the boys just happened to be in the shots. The picture of Jill is the opposite. Does Sam ever get to walk? 😞 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Maybe Derrick took the picture. He would enjoy making Jill gaze into the sun in order to make her look as bad as possible. 

I don’t think he was there.

Probably studying with Becky from the third row.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

She would do it as an excuse to sensually smear sunscreen on her face.

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

More pics from the walk.

she should get some advice from her friend @savannah.georgia.durham on taking and posting pics. savannah's pics are much better. In the highly staged, filtered sort of way.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

What's a fall break? Doesn't school usually run until Thanksgiving? There are some three-day weekends, but no one I know calls them fall breaks. 

Seems like he's back at school today, so he got a 4-day weekend? Wasn't Columbus Day last week?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

What's a fall break? Doesn't school usually run until Thanksgiving? There are some three-day weekends, but no one I know calls them fall breaks. 

It depends on the school, but many universities have a 2 day fall break usually Monday and Tuesday at the halfway point of the semester.   Then 3 days for Thanksgiving.  It's the same amount of days as Spring break, just spread into two weeks instead of one.  The university where I did my undergrad had a schedule like this.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It depends on the school, but many universities have a 2 day fall break usually Monday and Tuesday at the halfway point of the semester.   Then 3 days for Thanksgiving.  It's the same amount of days as Spring break, just spread into two weeks instead of one.  The university where I did my undergrad had a schedule like this.  

Interesting. The fall has more single holidays, so Spring Break balances out the days off in the spring semester. Is Derick's school on a trimester schedule? 

1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

Interesting. The fall has more single holidays, so Spring Break balances out the days off in the spring semester. Is Derick's school on a trimester schedule? 

I think they run on a semester schedule.   Most universities don't observe holidays like Columbus Day or Veteran's Day so the schedules for each semester have the same amount of days with the only other observed holidays being Labor Day in the fall and MLK Day in the spring.   I do know that universities do count the number of Mondays, Tursdays, Wednesdays,  Thursdays and Fridays to make sure all classes get the same amount of classroom hours.  I remember towards the end of the semester,  the last day of classes may be Tuesday classes even though it is actually a Wednesday. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The U of A does have a 2-day Monday and Tuesday break in mid-October after midterms, and they call it fall break. 

And yeah U of A is on a semester schedule, not trimester.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2