Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I don’t know which I hate more, the hashtags or the over use of exclamation points. Fortunately, I don’t have to choose and can hate both with the fire of a thousands suns.

I would add the overuse of emojis into the mix as well. Jill needs to lay off the hashtags, exclamation points, and emojis. I do not think she can write a post without overusing all of the above.

• Love 23

Wait his name was Richard....

No seriously every other time I've ever seen Derick's father mentioned his name was Rick, even in the obituary. The gravesite photo is the first time I've seen Derick's father called Richard. And yes Rick is a common nickname for Richard and it would make sense his name is Richard. But there are people with nicknames as first names (with no longer names) including Danny, Dan, Tom, Chris, Fred, Ben, etc.  

I don't mind her tribute to Derick's father. Young Derick looks like Israel. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Five bucks says that family photo is from one of those church member photo books.  There may or may not be one of my family floating around some in SW Louisiana. 

ETA:Dan really has crazy person eyes doesn’t he.  He looks like a serial killer 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Five bucks says that family photo is from one of those church member photo books.  There may or may not be one of my family floating around some in SW Louisiana. 

Absolutely what it’s from. I’m in a few from the same decade, with the same font. (Different state.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Zella said:

If I didn't know who these people were, I'd just assume they were strangers who were awkwardly pressured into kissing each other the first day they met. No way would I believe they'd been married, what, 5 years and had 2 children together.

Definitely has that blind-date-caught-on-kiss-cam-at-the-ballpark look. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

WTAH is she wearing? Some kind of green pantaloons and polka dot boots?

I think she’s wearing rain boots.  I’ve got polka dots, flowers, plaid... the busier the better.

4 hours ago, WalrusGirl said:

Absolutely what it’s from. I’m in a few from the same decade, with the same font. (Different state.)

Finally, someone else understands the church year book.  My cousins and I get a kick out of that thing now.  

How small would the picture have to be to get all the Duggars?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Steff said:

So Derrick gets a pile of presents for Father's Day and Jilly Muffin gets a bag of gummy bears for Mother's Day.  

And Samuel did not appear in either picture:

7B217C44-64C1-4ECA-8E81-068355F23DCC.jpeg

CA62F2A9-2875-4EC7-8368-5A01762BFA27.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Temperance said:

It looks that way in the photo. Dan is to the left and Derick is farther right. 

I know which one is which. That doesn't answer the question of why Derelict was listed second when he's the older brother. 

9 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I know which one is which. That doesn't answer the question of why Derelict was listed second when he's the older brother. 

So people,  who don't know them, can tell who is who in the photo.

• Love 5
On 6/15/2019 at 3:06 AM, Barb23 said:

I'm with you. We call them "Company Potatoes" in our family. I originally found the recipe in a cookbook put out by my son's elementary school & that's what it was called.  The recipe was submitted by one of my son's teachers so he thought that was neat when I started making them.

My SIL makes them as part of our Christmas Eve celebration each year.  I hate to think of the repercussions if she ever stopped. 

I would like to add a few suggestions to Jill's recipe:  Make sure the hashbrowns are completely thawed.  It helps in the baking/cooking process as well as making it easier to combine the ingredients.  I've used both shredded & cubed hash browns& prefer the cubed ones. I've also tried the O'Brien kind of potatoes. (Think that's what they're called. They have cut up peppers & I think onions in them. Adds a little zing.)  I use crushed potato chips as the topping instead of the corn flakes. (Mainly because my mom always used them as her casserole topping of choice while I was growing  up. It's a genetic thing, lol.) I've heard of people adding cut up ham or other cooked meat to make it a main dish casserole. There are plenty of variations on the recipe sites.  

IIRC, the "Funeral Potatoes" name has Amish roots as it was a part of their funeral luncheons. 

It will be interesting to know what the Duggars will do for Mary's post-funeral luncheon/dinner.  Maybe they can hold it in the flipped house for sale that has the 4 kitchens.  Plenty of room for the food & people. Not sure about parking though.  But the more I think about it I picture them passing out popcorn,  pickles & snack mix in Cross Church's parking lot. (Similar to Jill & Jessa's wedding receptions.)  Grandma Duggar deserves so much better.

My late mom used to make these occasionally for a holiday get together.  MAN they are good.  Not on anyone's recommended diet plan though.  

• Love 4
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

My Barbie and Ken gave off more heat than these two!!!!

Exactly the image I had of them!  Lack of genitalia and all...

Edited by Suzn
  • LOL 21
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

My guess is that children's names were listed in the order in which they appeared in the photo, from left to right.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

WTAH is she wearing? Some kind of green pantaloons and polka dot boots?

Both Cathy and Jill are wearing rain boots which made look at the picture more closely. Where is Rick D buried? Kind of a cool spot if it's in a cemetery. Not so cool if he's in the backyard. 

May he rest in peace wherever he is.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, Heathen said:

Why did that photo caption list Derelict after Dan, when Dan is younger? 

8 hours ago, Portia said:

My guess is that children's names were listed in the order in which they appeared in the photo, from left to right.

10 hours ago, Temperance said:

So people,  who don't know them, can tell who is who in the photo.

The only point of the church photo directory page that image w/ caption was scanned from was for congregants to be able to attach names to faces. The parents are listed first no matter what their sequence of appearance in the photo - the family name/heads (Rick & Cathy Dillard). It’s a church photo directory/yearbook, so it’s then more logical/less confusing to list the children’s names L-R, as photos are generally captioned. In official things like Rick’s obit, I’m sure the sons are listed chronologically, but if you have 2-5 kids in a church directory photo, they’re going to be identified L-R for actual photo identification purposes. They’re not lined up in birth order by the actual photographers doing these 10 minute photo sessions for the church, at the church; they’re arranged to make for a nice family portrait that the family will buy a $50 8x10 of to display at home. But the family heads (and father) are listed first, because a) it’s a *church* directory and b) the name format (Firstname M & Firstname F Lastname) makes it pretty clear that the folks in the photo a generation older than the rest are those first two listed. 🙂 But with all the siblings in a church who are 2-3 years apart in age, unless you already knew one of those kids you would otherwise have no way of knowing who was who in the photo if the listing of kids didn’t correspond to the photo used in the directory. (We often had our worst photo be the one used, because it would happen to have the color backdrop that the directory went with for uniformity between photos. 😣 But my folks could buy any of them from the agency taking the photos.)

TL;DR: The contracted portrait company composed the family groupings for photos, and hopes that families will buy prints. Pleasing composition tends to not follow birth order. 😉 Church admin then labels each family’s photo printed in the photo directory for its members by heads of family and then children L-R, so that other members can identify what any given face’s name is based on the family label.

Edited by WalrusGirl
autocorrect fail; added tl;dr while fixing it
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
On 6/16/2019 at 1:02 PM, Catlyn said:

Isn't that a big no no to try and force God's hand regarding the end of times? Doesn't everything happen in His time and only He knows when that time is? That's why horoscopes, Ouija boards, etc are looked down on because they are supposedly Devil tied because of fortune telling.  I have a feeling people are going to be real surprised if there is an afterlife.

"no man knows the hour, nor the day...", which I always thought was a way of saying Christians should live every day expecting that it could be the last on earth.  What that entails in particular, is up to the individual Christian; but at minimum I think it's an exhortation to always be on your best and kindest behavior. 

• Love 4

Sure enough, Jill put up pics of the funeral on her IG.  I have been to many funerals, including all of my grandparents and my father.  Never did it ever occur to me to take photos during.  🙄  Grieving and all....

Caution - you can see Josh in a couple. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

I figured Jill would be up and at ‘em this morning to get the first post up. (after waiting what she considered a respectful amount of time after the funeral, i.e. letting the sun go down once) She was probably up all night working on her tribute. At least there was no “swipe up for more photos”.

I also noticed that Amy is again following Jill and the others she unfollowed on Instagram. 

Edited by MzTori77
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6

They sure didn't need to book the huge church, though.  It seems most fundie families are so enmeshed and don't make outside friends.  Gothard was always preaching that your best friends should be your family.  Mary did live in that community for years so you'd think more locals would have come.

• Love 12

Was there ever a time set aside for visitation? In my experience--and the local funeral home director has confirmed it--at least in my small town visitation is always much better attended than the funeral. I'm certainly more likely to attend visitation than the funeral, unless it is a relative or close friend. 

I think part of it might be because the visitations are almost always scheduled in the evening before the funeral, so it's easier for people to go after work to pay their respects than it is to take off time for a funeral. 

In any event, if they did have a visitation, it may have had better attendance. Though as @louannems noted, with their emphasis on family over friends, it may not have really made a difference in the number of folks who showed up. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Here the trend is to incorporate the viewing before the funeral, on the same day, which is so much easier on the family. You only need one outfit, everything is handled in one day, one meal, and people that want to attend both can, but aren’t obligated to do so.  Even then, the viewing attendance is higher. 

That's interesting! Sometimes here, the visitation is immediately beforehand, but definitely more the exception than the rule. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Sure enough, Jill put up pics of the funeral on her IG.  I have been to many funerals, including all of my grandparents and my father.  Never did it ever occur to me to take photos during.  🙄  Grieving and all....

Pictures or it didn’t happen seems to be her motto 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

Does DDD own any other dress shoes besides those crappy brown ones? Somehow they have money for a brand new house but more than one pair of dress shoes (especially for someone who wears suits regularly) isn’t in the budget?  

And FFS, walk between the graves you hillbillies! 🤦‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

@dariafan I know several people (including my own family) that take photos at funerals (even before the age of social media). There’s one of mine and my cousin at my great aunt’s funeral (she was my nanny) that I treasure so much, even with the grief on our faces. My last great aunt likes to make sure we all get photos together before people disperse again. Of course I don’t think people are obligated to take photos if they don’t want but it’s not odd to me as it was my norm. 

I say all this to say, of all the possibly insensitive things Jill has done regarding Mary’s passing, this was not one of them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Whatever with Jill. I’m surprised she didn’t post at 12:01am.

I cringed at them walking over other graves carrying the casket. 😞

I'm surprised Jill didnt post a selfie with her leaning over the casket, crazy eyes and all, giving a thumbs up. The day is still young though.

• LOL 15
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Whatever with Jill. I’m surprised she didn’t post at 12:01am.

I cringed at them walking over other graves carrying the casket. 😞

Walking over graves is one of my husbands biggest peeves.  His grandfather was Roman Catholic and this was ingrained in him from childhood.  We live across from a cemetery and it drives his crazy seeing this happen repeatedly.  Or when the graveyard has large trucks in there for digging and they drive over the graves.  

Based on her post I am surprised there wasn't a bouncy house at the funeral.  It just seemed like there were a lot of exclamation points for a funeral post.

• LOL 10
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

@dariafan I know several people (including my own family) that take photos at funerals (even before the age of social media). There’s one of mine and my cousin at my great aunt’s funeral (she was my nanny) that I treasure so much, even with the grief on our faces. My last great aunt likes to make sure we all get photos together before people disperse again. Of course I don’t think people are obligated to take photos if they don’t want but it’s not odd to me as it was my norm. 

I say all this to say, of all the possibly insensitive things Jill has done regarding Mary’s passing, this was not one of them. 

Now I’m curious as I only had one cousin who took pictures at funerals and she’s nuttier than squirrel shit!  So did your family focus the pics primarily on other relatives or where there pics of the casket and the deceased too? Not snarking or judging at all, but genuinely curious about the custom.  I could see how family would want to get some snapshots of other relatives, especially after the repast. We certainly have some once we were home and gathered together. 

I suppose since the Duggars lack class and decorum in so many other areas, the pictures seem extra tacky.  It feeds the narrative they are monetizing and publicizing Mary’s death for their own benefit even though I believe their grief and love for her is genuine.  Jill the Imbecile could have just as easily posted the pic of the rainbow, a nice pic of grandma and some nice thoughts of her for a touching final tribute, or to capture her emotions on such a difficult day.  I just wonder if everyone is okay with this.  Each grandkid had a right to his or her own relationship with Mary, but within the boundaries of respect for the other grieving family members.  

• Love 4

I’m a softie. I did like the picture of Sam during the graveside services with his arms raised. Post that. And the rainbow. And the picture of the order of service. She didn’t need any from the actual service itself. But, it’s Jill, so we know that socially, she’s always going to be a little off. 

• Love 12
(edited)
4 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

She clearly didn’t get Amy’s hint about all the emojis.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • LOL 7
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Now I’m curious as I only had one cousin who took pictures at funerals and she’s nuttier than squirrel shit!  So did your family focus the pics primarily on other relatives or where there pics of the casket and the deceased too? Not snarking or judging at all, but genuinely curious about the custom.  I could see how family would want to get some snapshots of other relatives, especially after the repast. We certainly have some once we were home and gathered together. 

I suppose since the Duggars lack class and decorum in so many other areas, the pictures seem extra tacky.  It feeds the narrative they are monetizing and publicizing Mary’s death for their own benefit even though I believe their grief and love for her is genuine.  Jill the Imbecile could have just as easily posted the pic of the rainbow, a nice pic of grandma and some nice thoughts of her for a touching final tribute, or to capture her emotions on such a difficult day.  I just wonder if everyone is okay with this.  Each grandkid had a right to his or her own relationship with Mary, but within the boundaries of respect for the other grieving family members.  

Yes this is the Duggars, and being the media whoring insensitive people they have been known to be, any behavior can be interpreted to support that even if it wouldn’t be odd in another family. 

In our family yes people take photos of the floral arrangements, guest book, casket, service, grave site, but mostly of relatives together at the repass or the grave site. And this was the norm when I was little so it’s not about social media or camera phones. It’s just what was done. I don’t recall anyone ever being upset by it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I find that really interesting @Scarlett45. I have a cousin on my dad’s side who is an awesome amateur photographer and I could see her snapping the flowers and guest book as part if a memorial.  As you said, if it’s your normal then it won’t raise any eyebrows.  But your family isn’t exploitative like the Duggars I’m sure.  

Everything about those pictures of the casket and pall bearers just screamed ratings to me. Couldn’t Jill let the tabloids or People or whomever handle the photos while she focused on her grandma’s memory and her other family members.  I guess that’s what bothers me so much about it.  Of all the things she could have been doing, and/or should have been doing like supporting her Dad or aunt, checking in her siblings, or assisting in some way with arrangements or anything to lighten the family’s burden, she’s thinking about taking out her damned phone to get shots of everything going on around her?  Maybe that wasn’t where her head was, but that’s how it looks to me.  

• Love 12