Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Israel’s Homeschool Curriculum

Mar 4, 2019 | Family Blog | 28 

Several people have asked what homeschool curriculum I am currently using with Israel. I’ve used a variety of supplemental stuff, but I’d like to give you a quick overview of the main things I’m using right now. He’s still only 3 years old, so we try to have fun with it and not make it too hard. My mom, mother-in-law and sister-in-law (Anna) have been very helpful, as well as other teachers and homeschooling friends of mine! Israel loves when he gets new workbooks and school supplies, so I have added them to his Christmas and birthday lists sometimes too! There are so many curriculums out there! You don’t have to stick with the same one for everything! Growing up, my mom used several different curriculums for different subjects and grade levels. Sometimes she even tried out a new curriculum when she thought a child might learn better with a different teaching style. 

Before I list the different curriculums I’m using right now, I just wanted to say that you can get all of these things through the companies individual sites or from www.christianbook.com (I don’t make anything from any of them). 

MATH: For math right now, I’m using the Math-U-See primer workbook (it comes with an instructor’s manual and dvd too!) and their company’s manipulatives integer block kit. 

Math-U-See Primer workbook and instructor’s manual (also comes with dvd)

Math-U-See manipulatives

PHONICS: I started with Sing, Spell, Read & Write’s (S,S,R&W) first book in their Kindergarten and Level 1 combo kit to teach Israel the letter sounds (kinda an old curriculum, but it works well!), then I have briefly switched to Siegfried Engelmann’s “Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons” book. Once we finish this (should be done this week!), then we plan to finish out phonics with S,S,R&W. 

READING: As Israel is learning to read, there are lots of books he has enjoyed reading (S,S,R&W comes with several reader books in their kit!). Anna (my SIL) told me about the BOB books and Israel loves them! There are several in each set (the pic below is just one of many sets/boxes with lots of little books in each one). And they are nice and short, so they help him stay motivated because the goals are achievable! 

Right now, I focus mainly on math and teaching him to read and write. I do incorporate a little science and social studies, but this mainly consists of watching a short educational video on YouTube together and then doing a craft, project, or exploring something that relates to it. I have found www.teacherspayteachers.com (thanks Amber;-) ) to be extremely helpful in finding fun resources that correlate with something I want him to learn. And their emails I’ve signed up for help me remember all the holidays and the fun things we can to do make learning about them exciting without having to break the bank! 

I like to make a little checklist chart (like my mom did for us when we were kids) and we check it off throughout the day…yes, I’m one of those people…lol…I write stuff down just so I can check it off! Anybody with me? haha

Israel also has a “chore pack:” little laminated cards that are stuffed inside a little plastic name tag with drawings of each of his chores on them (since he can’t quite read everything yet!) and the name of the chore/school subject with a number for the order in which it should be completed. Some of Israel’s cards purposely don’t have numbers on them so I can rearrange them however I want him to complete them that day…then I just have him check in between every card swap. He doesn’t always clip it on his clothes during the day. Sometimes we just keep it clipped on the wall and switch them out as we go through them. I first learned of the chore packs when my mom did them with some of my younger siblings. The idea came from Steve and Teri Maxwell (www.chorepacks.com).

I am continuing to find out that there are so many great and fun ways to help your kiddos learn! I’m sure many of y’all have great tips and I’d love to hear them! 

What are some of your favorite school curriculums for different grade levels as well as any inspirational tips and/or books for homeschooling moms/teachers? Leave me a comment in the section below.

57A4BFB7-04CE-4165-8BE9-BB92DFF864A5.jpeg

DF0308D0-C63B-46D7-B7EB-59DC37DE8FB9.jpeg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Yes!!! I love having long hair, and went to my hairdresser recently. She said it would be healthier if she cut about six inches. That's a little shorter than I like, but I realize it will grow back, and look healthy! I can't imagine thinking you know better than people who have been to cosmetology school just because you're so attached to having waist-length hair. They would look so much better with a reasonable length!

Yes, I used to have really long hair, and when it would start to look scraggly, I'd have a few inches chopped off, and the immediate improvement in its appearance was just amazing. The Duggar girls could easily hack off quite a few inches, still have long hair, and have nice-looking long hair!

• Love 4

Several people have asked what homeschool curriculum I am currently using with Israel. I’ve used a variety of supplemental stuff, but I’d like to give you a quick overview of the main things I’m using right now. He’s still only 3 years old, so we try to have fun with it and not make it too hard. My mom, mother-in-law and sister-in-law (Anna) have been very helpful, as well as other teachers and homeschooling friends of mine! Israel loves when he gets new workbooks and school supplies, so I have added them to his Christmas and birthday lists sometimes too! There are so many curriculums out there! You don’t have to stick with the same one for everything! Growing up, my mom used several different curriculums for different subjects and grade levels. Sometimes she even tried out a new curriculum when she thought a child might learn better with a different teaching style. 

Before I list the different curriculums I’m using right now, I just wanted to say that you can get all of these things through the companies individual sites or from www.christianbook.com (I don’t make anything from any of them). 

MATH: For math right now, I’m using the Math-U-See primer workbook (it comes with an instructor’s manual and dvd too!) and their company’s manipulatives integer block kit. 

Math-U-See manipulatives

PHONICS: I started with Sing, Spell, Read & Write’s (S,S,R&W) first book in their Kindergarten and Level 1 combo kit to teach Israel the letter sounds (kinda an old curriculum, but it works well!), then I have briefly switched to Siegfried Engelmann’s “Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons” book. Once we finish this (should be done this week!), then we plan to finish out phonics with S,S,R&W. 

READING: As Israel is learning to read, there are lots of books he has enjoyed reading (S,S,R&W comes with several reader books in their kit!). Anna (my SIL) told me about the BOB books and Israel loves them! There are several in each set (the pic below is just one of many sets/boxes with lots of little books in each one). And they are nice and short, so they help him stay motivated because the goals are achievable! 

Right now, I focus mainly on math and teaching him to read and write. I do incorporate a little science and social studies, but this mainly consists of watching a short educational video on YouTube together and then doing a craft, project, or exploring something that relates to it. I have found www.teacherspayteachers.com (thanks Amber;-) ) to be extremely helpful in finding fun resources that correlate with something I want him to learn. And their emails I’ve signed up for help me remember all the holidays and the fun things we can to do make learning about them exciting without having to break the bank! 

I like to make a little checklist chart (like my mom did for us when we were kids) and we check it off throughout the day…yes, I’m one of those people…lol…I write stuff down just so I can check it off! Anybody with me? haha

Israel also has a “chore pack:” little laminated cards that are stuffed inside a little plastic name tag with drawings of each of his chores on them (since he can’t quite read everything yet!) and the name of the chore/school subject with a number for the order in which it should be completed. Some of Israel’s cards purposely don’t have numbers on them so I can rearrange them however I want him to complete them that day…then I just have him check in between every card swap. He doesn’t always clip it on his clothes during the day. Sometimes we just keep it clipped on the wall and switch them out as we go through them. I first learned of the chore packs when my mom did them with some of my younger siblings. The idea came from Steve and Teri Maxwell (www.chorepacks.com).

I am continuing to find out that there are so many great and fun ways to help your kiddos learn! I’m sure many of y’all have great tips and I’d love to hear them! 

What are some of your favorite school curriculums for different grade levels as well as any inspirational tips and/or books for homeschooling moms/teachers? Leave me a comment in the section below.

57A4BFB7-04CE-4165-8BE9-BB92DFF864A5.jpeg

DF0308D0-C63B-46D7-B7EB-59DC37DE8FB9.jpeg

Math-U-See manipulatives

4249CC17-19B6-4417-B14E-426E617320FE.jpeg

B32E5C80-CE75-42B0-ACDC-56CC65494D02.jpeg

5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I think this is the first picture I've seen of Izzy where he takes after Derick. Maybe it's the smile. 

No snark meant by this, but Izzy has the same wonky eye as #bestpapaever🙄.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

No snark meant by this, but Izzy has the same wonky eye as #bestpapaever🙄.

Poor kid definitely didn't hit the genetic lottery. Between Jill's gummy smile and Derick's long running orthodontic saga, they better start a dental fund now.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

Where is play time??? He's only 3!

I was both intrigued and confused by napping being listed as a chore. I feel like Jill needs to just call it a schedule rather than a chore pack. . . . 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was both intrigued and confused by napping being listed as a chore. I feel like Jill needs to just call it a schedule rather than a chore pack. . . . 

Exactly - it IS a schedule. Maybe Jill needs to change the name to Jill so she can check it off.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I agree with this.  I don't consider "getting dressed" a chore.  Also, Iz must be a child prodigy since he is reading at his age.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

Also, Iz must be a child prodigy since he is reading at his age.

I noticed she clarified he couldn't read all of it, so I wonder how much of it he could read.

I admittedly was reading at his age, but I was a fairly psychotic child about reading. Like, I could be bribed into good behavior with books. But I also had grandparents who were very diligent about reading to me and playing word games with me and letting me play with alphabet cereal to learn how to spell, and I think that played a big role in me being an early reader. I seriously doubt poor Izzy has had that kind of nurturing care and encouragement consistently. 😞 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

I agree with this.  I don't consider "getting dressed" a chore.  Also, Iz must be a child prodigy since he is reading at his age.

Considering where most of the Duggar and related kids end up by their teens, I'm not sure BOB books are appropriate for him at 3.  Jill may be able to push the first kid, but I don't see her doing it with six.  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Considering where most of the Duggar and related kids end up by their teens, I'm not sure BOB books are appropriate for him at 3.  Jill may be able to push the first kid, but I don't see her doing it with six.  

I suppose it may depend on where his aptitudes lie, anyway. I was reading very early as well (my parents read to me to an extent, but it wasn't something they consciously pushed, and they never did figure out exactly when I learned to read except that I was doing it by the time I was four or so). My older son knew all his upper and lower case letters by the time he was 18 months old, but didn't really learn what to do with them until he was in school, and only very reluctantly then - though he could handle addition and subtraction, even with carrying numbers, when he was about four. And my daughter was well into chapter books by the time she was halfway through second grade, while he was still struggling with them a grade further on.

If they are being pretty diligent with Israel and he is reasonably bright (which he appears to be), he may well be making strides with numbers and phonics at his age. I just hope they don't start expecting more of him than he is capable of and punishing him when and if his progress stalls or hits bumps in the road.

• Love 8

Whoa, flashback time! I used Math-U-See Primer and Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with my firstborn when she was 3. Some kids really are ready to learn basic kindergarten stuff at that age. The mistake I made was assuming that automatically meant she was highly gifted and would continue accelerating academically as she got older. Lots of tears and frustration in our homeschooling years. It’s all turning out ok, she’s in school and doing great.

But honestly, I think there’s hope for Jill and Izzy. The schedule, the homeschooling, it means she’s putting effort into spending time with this kid, she cares about his academic progress. If she continues with Math-U-See, the video instruction is very good. She can probably learn with her kids, and remember, she’s the one who wanted to be a nurse. 

I still think the relationship with Derick is really messed up, though.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, PradaKitty said:

Look at the far right on Izzy’s chart. Jill doesn’t even know what YEAR this is!! 

I thought that too at first, but I think it just cut off the 19 from 2019. Or at least that was the benefit of the doubt I gave her. It may have been overly generous of me. . . .

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Look at the far right on Izzy’s chart. Jill doesn’t even know what YEAR this is!! 

That was my first thought as well, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in assuming that the last two numbers were cropped out of 2019 

Edited to add, great minds think alike, @Zella

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

My bigger issue is why didn't Jill create this on Word? Why did she have to draw and color this all out? It seems like making a schedule on Word would save on time.

• Love 3

Hold up...did Derrick actually just say “grateful,” “evolution,” and “science” in a single sentence????

Expecting him to burst into flame in 3...2...1...

(All kidding aside, does this mean there’s any possible tiny shift in his “LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION IF NOT BEFORE YOU SLUTS” dogmatism or am I giving him much too much credit?)

• Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Hold up...did Derrick actually just say “grateful,” “evolution,” and “science” in a single sentence????

Expecting him to burst into flame in 3...2...1...

(All kidding aside, does this mean there’s any possible tiny shift in his “LIFE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION IF NOT BEFORE YOU SLUTS” dogmatism or am I giving him much too much credit?)

No I dont think he intends that way. My fundie-dar decipher this as him believing science has advanced enough to support his views rather than he has changed them.

I share @Jynnan tonnix's surprise that he conceded to the limits of his law career. I have a hard time believing he'll last the full time at the u of a. If you're a conservative Christian, you wont be lonely on campus, but the school and fayetteville in general is quite liberal by Arkansas standards.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4

Oh yeah, Madpsych78, my immediate first thought at seeing that chart was “Why didn’t she do this on the computer?”.

Maybe Derrick was using it to prepare briefs for class and wouldn’t share. 

Oh yeah, Madpsych78, my immediate first thought at seeing that chart was “Why didn’t she do this on the computer?”.

Arrrgh... MY post went insane!

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Arrrgh... MY post went insane!

You've gone viral!

• LOL 8
15 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

My son read pretty much everything at his age. He started reading simple words when he was a little over a year. But he is an exception. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

Well it is a chore if you’d rather stay in your jammies 🙂

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Zella said:

I noticed she clarified he couldn't read all of it, so I wonder how much of it he could read.

I admittedly was reading at his age, but I was a fairly psychotic child about reading. Like, I could be bribed into good behavior with books. But I also had grandparents who were very diligent about reading to me and playing word games with me and letting me play with alphabet cereal to learn how to spell, and I think that played a big role in me being an early reader. I seriously doubt poor Izzy has had that kind of nurturing care and encouragement consistently. 😞 

I was reading to my son in the hospital! My mom, who baby sat for me when I worked also played many word games with my son and read to him often until he took over and then he read to her. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My son read pretty much everything at his age. He started reading simple words when he was a little over a year. But he is an exception. 

Your son is the child my mom wanted 

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, dariafan said:

Your son is the child my mom wanted 

He was a huge Thomas the Tank Engine fan before Thomas was popular. I bought him the 400+ page Thomas the Tank Engine the Complete Collection. Here was this little guy sitting in the recliner with this book almost as big as himself. What I liked about those original stories is they didn't talk down to kids and assumed kids were pretty smart and could understand what was written. 

• Love 5
On 3/2/2019 at 10:03 AM, Catlyn said:

The getting naked to pee is the reason I stopped wearing them in my younger, thinner days. I liked them because they were an easy choice of clothing on days I had to go somewhere and I couldn't figure out what to wear. For those old enough to remember Units, I loved mine as it was very comfortable and I had other pieces to change it up. Actually, Jill would do well if Units were still available. Long skirts, shapeless tops which you can add belts, sashes, jackets to switch around. All colors made to match and easy to care for with two kids. She probably could get by as maternity clothes with out the thin stretched out tops and skirts she wears.

Thank you!  I always forget about what that stuff was called.  It really reminds me of a better made LuLaRo.  Not that you wore crazy patterns together but that shirts were tied similarly and it was a thing.  

On 3/4/2019 at 2:42 AM, floridamom said:

I wonder how Jill can sleep on that long hair? Can't imagine at that exaggerated length it's 'easier' to wash, dry and brush. The sheer weight of her hair will weaken the roots coming out of her head. (Maybe that explains a few things lately.)

My hair wasn't nearly that long (boob length) and I had to put it in 2 braids to sleep on it.    Long/short I just want her to be introduced to shampoo.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

My daughter was reading simple words at Israel's age.  I wasn't actively trying to teach her to read, but I read to her a lot from a very early age.  She had a set of Tupperware nesting ABC books and she knew her letters before she was 2.  We got her some magnetic letters which we stuck on the fridge, and she used to write her name, her baby brother's name, etc.

It was strictly repetition, but she wanted to reread the books constantly.  I wonder if kids learn better at a very young age when things are presented in the context of a fun thing they want to do versus calling it "chores" like Jill does. 

• Love 9
On 3/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, ginger90 said:

There are so many curriculums out there! You don’t have to stick with the same one for everything! Growing up, my mom used several different curriculums for different subjects and grade levels.

I was going to ding Jill for using the plural "curriculums" instead of "curricula," but according to the Chicago Manual of Style, "curriculums" is correct in American English 🤨

(However, my browser is still underlining it as a typo as I'm writing this...)

• LOL 5
  • Love 4