Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

105DBCB5-A70E-4BE9-BDF5-AC1A270F8D1D.jpeg

Pops’ BBQ Tuna Fish

Feb 2, 2019 | Recipes | 1 

Yeah, you read right…BBQ and tuna fish! This recipe goes back many years to when my parents had 7 kids ages 7 & under. My mom went to a ladies conference thing out of state for a whole week…which meant my dad (a.k.a. “Pops”) had to cook for all of us kids for the week! lol I remember a few times where the meal had about five courses: canned green beans, canned carrots, canned potatoes, canned butter beans and canned pineapple. We had to eat the first course before moving on to the next, but we did have the option for a side of ketchup to dip everything in.  At one point during the week is when he brought out the tuna…he opened a can (or several), drained it, added some KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce to it, then served it between two slices of whole wheat bread. It was a big hit! I’m not sure if we liked it so much just because it tasted way better than everything else we’d had that week, or if we were so young that the combination didn’t sound strange enough to scare us off from the start and then when we tried it, we just found it appetizing. Either way, it’s continued to be a favorite on the menu all these years! And as was often said growing up, “You can’t say you don’t like it until you’ve tried it!”

BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece, original)

canned tuna, drain

onions, diced (optional)

whole wheat bread (or saltine crackers)

Drain tuna. Mix a good amount of barbecue sauce with tuna and diced onions. Serve with bread (sandwich) or on saltine crackers. Enjoy!

4C1A2BF6-F1DD-4A4E-9645-99E6DA4D5303.jpeg

029ABA83-8866-40D4-BDD9-683BAC6DDB3E.jpeg

notice that in israel's picture, his bib is to the left side of him. guess she didnt want us to see it on him?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

That five course canned dinner story is quite the story! Keep spilling those beans, Jilly Muffin! I will give you all the money making blog hits if you keep up the behind the scenes stories.

Otherwise, if you are trying to make the bbq tuna sound interesting, you are doing a terrible job. 

While I believe a father should be able to cook for and feed his children, in the Duggar world that's woman's work. Why didn't MEchelle make a few premade casseroles or crockpot meals before she left for her 'women's conference thing'? Or a soup? Or even leave a box of pasta with instructions? Wasnt 7 kids under 7 around the time MEchelle had her laundry room breakdown? I wonder if the 'women's conference thing' was a reprogramming and she was sent off suddenly? 

Edited by lulu69
Great minds think alike ^^^
  • Love 21
32 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Michelle could have prepared a few meals for Jimbob to heat up if she knew she was going to be gone for a week. Of course that would mean she actually cared about her children...

Hahahahahahahaha *snort* hahahahahahahaha!

31 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

While I believe a father should be able to cook for and feed his children, in the Duggar world that's woman's work. Why didn't MEchelle make a few premade casseroles or crockpot meals before she left for her 'women's conference thing'? Or a soup? Or even leave a box of pasta with instructions? Wasnt 7 kids under 7 around the time MEchelle had her laundry room breakdown? I wonder if the 'women's conference thing' was a reprogramming and she was sent off suddenly? 

See my answer above. 

Hahahahahahahaha *snort* hahahahahahahaha. 

• Love 13

I remember a few times where the meal had about five courses: canned green beans, canned carrots, canned potatoes, canned butter beans and canned pineapple. We had to eat the first course before moving on to the next, but we did have the option for a side of ketchup to dip everything in. 

Yeah, nothing more I liked to eat than beans and pineapple dipped in ketchup. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

I wonder if the 'women's conference thing' was a reprogramming and she was sent off suddenly?

You gotta wonder these things since Jill specified it was a "women's conference thing" and not just a women's conference :D

• Love 4
13 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Okay, i’ve been trying to wrap my head around this for hours — canned potatoes? Who would buy canned potatoes? They taste like wet dog and cost more than fresh potatoes. I can get a five-pound bag of russets at Safeway for like $3, and “fancy” potatoes like red or Yukon gold don’t cost much more than that. Is boiling a freaking potato really that hard? How lazy are these people? 

I didn’t even know that canned potatoes existed, other than the ones that are in Veg-All.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yeah, I like tuna and I like bbq sauce but not together! This is just gross.

They re-enacted this scenario in a X Kids and Counting episode back in the day. Mechelle and the oldest girls were away for some reason and Boob was left to "babysit" the younger kids. Went as well as you can imagine with highlights such as Jim Bob being unable to make a pony tail despite having eleventy daughters and the infamous BBQ tuna for dinner incident, because apparently that is still the only thing he can cook. And the thing is, that if I recall it correctly, the kids all found the dish pretty revolting so I'm not sure why Jill is singing its praises now. Trying to kiss Boob's arse for some reason?

• Love 20
53 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Maybe they got the canned potatoes at a food pantry?

Canned potatoes are really a thing.  they are in the vegetable aisle.  Some recipes call for canned potatoes.  I don't buy them though.  But I am not afraid to peel a real potato.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

They re-enacted this scenario in a X Kids and Counting episode back in the day. Mechelle and the oldest girls were away for some reason and Boob was left to "babysit" the younger kids. Went as well as you can imagine with highlights such as Jim Bob being unable to make a pony tail despite having eleventy daughters and the infamous BBQ tuna for dinner incident, because apparently that is still the only thing he can cook. And the thing is, that if I recall it correctly, the kids all found the dish pretty revolting so I'm not sure why Jill is singing its praises now. Trying to kiss Boob's arse for some reason?

Not just singing his praises either.  Also feeding that crap to her own kids!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My mom has used canned potatoes to make Eastern North Carolina boiled potatoes for parties.  Its easier than peeling enough potatoes for 20 people and then the potatoes from the can are all roughly the same size. 

I've used them when I make chicken pot pie. Sometimes it's just easier and I don't think they taste bad.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I've used them when I make chicken pot pie. Sometimes it's just easier and I don't think they taste bad.

I would imagine they taste fine in the same way any other canned vegetable tastes fine. As in, on the edge of being overcooked right out of the can, but identifiable as the vegetable you are thinking of and easy to use as an ingredient if the rest of the dish is going to be of the "stew" variety and it's important, for whatever reason, to just have all the ingredients together with as little prep time as possible. There are times and places for such things, and they are not actually repulsive or anything...just not anywhere near the same taste or quality as fresh. But if that's what you are used to, I suppose it could taste pretty fancy and impressive.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Huh. Maybe! We've only heard about reprogramming for kids but maybe these things existed for adults too (well, they do exist - see Josh). But hadn't considered it regarding mothers not respecting their role. And then it was explained by JB to Jill and the other kids at the time as a "women's conference."

• Love 7

Wasn't there an episode last season where Jim Bob made his BBQ tuna for Jeremy to try? Jinger kept saying how she really liked it. Though maybe they all liked it because it was Jim Bob's go to meal when Michelle was away and they needed sustenance. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Wasn't there an episode last season where Jim Bob made his BBQ tuna for Jeremy to try? Jinger kept saying how she really liked it. Though maybe they all liked it because it was Jim Bob's go to meal when Michelle was away and they needed sustenance. 

Seriously, if he can't cook couldn't he pick up a few rotisserie chickens and sides from the grocery store.  Or he could ask his mother for help.  He didn't have a problem with asking her to do mountains of laundry, so what's a little cooking?  Also, there's always good ol' Micky D's or Chik Fil A. Eating canned beans and ketchup is so gross, as is BBQ tuna. I'll bet those poor kids were starving if this went on for a week.

This man is such a douche.

• Love 15
44 minutes ago, Normades said:

Seriously, if he can't cook couldn't he pick up a few rotisserie chickens and sides from the grocery store.  Or he could ask his mother for help.  He didn't have a problem with asking her to do mountains of laundry, so what's a little cooking?  Also, there's always good ol' Micky D's or Chik Fil A. Eating canned beans and ketchup is so gross, as is BBQ tuna. I'll bet those poor kids were starving if this went on for a week.

This man is such a douche.

I don’t think they had a lot of money then, hence eating everything from a can, I’m sure if JB could’ve afforded McDonald’s or something he would have. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Puffin said:

I don’t think they had a lot of money then, hence eating everything from a can, I’m sure if JB could’ve afforded McDonald’s or something he would have. 

Also, I don't think that ten or fifteen years ago rotisserie chickens were commonly sold at grocery stores, except maybe on the East/West Coast or really big cities. These days I'm used to seeing them at least at the big chain stores, but it wasn't always thus.

As has been mentioned, they may have been living off a lot of "love offerings" which were likely to feature a lot of canned food.

• Love 5

Hudson Bay Bread

Feb 4, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

In the summer of 2004, Derick went on a trek at the Boy Scout Northern Tier High Adventure Base Camp in Bissett, Manitoba, Canada. A float plane dropped the group off at a lake where they then trekked and canoed during their adventure. Derick was introduced to Hudson Bay Bread on the trek and it was one of their sustaining foods during the trek. Recently, we were talking about the trip and found a recipe online for the bread so we decided to make some. It’s definitely high calorie and not something you wanna eat every day. But if you’re taking a trek or need some high calorie food to pack for a remote trip, then this recipe might come in handy!

9.5 cups rolled oats, blended

1 cup nuts, chopped or blended

2 cups white sugar

1/3 cup light corn syrup

1/3 cup honey

1 tsp. vanilla (or a bit more if you like!;-) )

2 cups butter or margarine 

Blend oats, one cup at a time. Blend or chop nuts. In bowl, mix all ingredients together. Press into greased cookie sheet (1/2-1″ thick). Bake at 360 degrees for about 8 min. The bread will start to rise a little, so take out and press down with rolling pin or spatula, then bake another 8 min, or until golden brown. Take out and press down again (if you don’t, then it will crumble). Don’t over bake! Cut into pieces while still warm. Let cool and enjoy! 

Note: Although it’s called “bread” it’s more like a soft granola bar. Derick said the Hudson Bay Bread he had was on the thicker side, but with this recipe you can make it a little thinner if you prefer.

Do you enjoy hiking and/or camping? What are some fun places you’ve been? 

Fun Fact: Derick and Dan (his brother) both achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. Have you or a family member been involved in the Boy Scouts?

4E65B5DD-75FA-4D79-9B43-306B5309241F.jpeg

Recipe credit: https://www.holry.org/HudsonBayBread (Bissett version)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Fun Fact: Derick and Dan (his brother) both achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. Have you or a family member been involved in the Boy Scouts?

You think their heads would explode if I left a comment that my niece is in Scouts?

• Love 23
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I would guess no, especially since there are girls!!  

I don't think Derick was too pleased once the Scouts said atheists could join and I think letting the gays in was the last straw.  Wasn't Dan employed by the Boy Scouts at one time?  Didn't we speculate that he left that job at least in part because Scouting was no longer banning gay kids and leaders?

• Love 7

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that was a decent post for Jill. 

A recipe tied to actual people, places and activities.  Credit and a link to the original recipe, with fairly concise instructions and a few additional tips.   No made up "sweet friends" to pawn off the crap on.  A clear and well composed photo. 

Good job, Jill.  And I actually mean that.  

• Love 16
3 hours ago, louannems said:

I "wanna" know if they would even allow their own sons to join the Scouts.

Trying to read now and can't get past her use of "wanna."🤣

She says the bread is high in calories but doesn't give the exact count?

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Trying to read now and can't get past her use of "wanna."

I wonder is she actually knows it should be "want to".  I doubt she has had any education in correct grammar and usage.

5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Edited by CalicoKitty
My post showed up three times for some reason. I can't remove the last box.
On 2/3/2019 at 10:36 AM, zoomama said:

BBQ and tuna fish! This recipe goes back many years to when my parents had 7 kids ages 7 & under. My mom went to a ladies conference thing out of state for a whole week…which meant my dad (a.k.a. “Pops”) had to cook for all of us kids for the week! lol I remember a few times where the meal had about five courses: canned green beans, canned carrots, canned potatoes, canned butter beans and canned pineapple. We had to eat the first course before moving on to the next, but we did have the option for a side of ketchup to dip everything in.

I know this is a question that needs no answer but...........how big of a useless moron is JB?    First, various canned veg is not a "five course meal" it's crap on a plate.  Second I sincerely hope Jill saying they had a ketchup option for "everything" is actually meant for the potatoes not all the items she listed.  I won't hold my breath on that but it's easier than picturing them dipping green beans and carrots in ketchup.  Third and most important, even if you have multiple little kids keeping you busy, even if you're a guy and the kitchen is (in his opinion not mine) the wimmens domain how hard is it to cook the inexpensive basics like burgers or pasta with maybe some ground meat in the sauce, a side of canned veg wouldn't be so bad with those.  Heck even oatmeal or real tuna with mayo or a PB&J sandwich. Any of those with fruit would be a better dinner or lunch.    It doesn't take mensa level intellect to put together something that's actually good for growing kids and is more than "let's dump out whatever canned crap I can find in the cabinet".  That Jill still eats and enjoys the BBQ Tuna and her other meals based on her posted recipes make me think her taste buds have been deadened and warped by a steady diet of meals made primarily from canned high sodium veg and soup in her early years.  She likely never developed the ability to recognize what "fresh" tastes like and probably isn't interested in branching out now.  

• Love 18
19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I don't think Derick was too pleased once the Scouts said atheists could join and I think letting the gays in was the last straw.  Wasn't Dan employed by the Boy Scouts at one time?  Didn't we speculate that he left that job at least in part because Scouting was no longer banning gay kids and leaders?

That was our guess, but if I recall the timing also fell around the same as his wife getting pregnant, and it could be that he left the scouts because he needed more money, or didn't want a job that required him to be away from home for summers. Camp/youth program directing can be pretty time-intensive so I can see him deciding he didn't want to be away. He's never said either way. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, questionfear said:

That was our guess, but if I recall the timing also fell around the same as his wife getting pregnant, and it could be that he left the scouts because he needed more money, or didn't want a job that required him to be away from home for summers. Camp/youth program directing can be pretty time-intensive so I can see him deciding he didn't want to be away. He's never said either way. 

That's very mature and savvy - not airing all your bizness on social media. As opposed to the way his nutjob brother would have handled it. Derick would probably have picked a fight on Twitter with the entire Scouts organization. With about the same success as his Righteous War on Jazz and TLC™.

BTW, I thought about Derick the other night. I participated in a live stream chat for a TLC show, and of course people snarked on the commercials. Not everybody is a big fan of Jazz the show, although mostly people think Jazz is okay but her mom is not, so there was some snark about the Jazz commercials. Of course nobody was taking Derick's line, but I still thought it was funny. Someone even commented about I think that awful dude with all the wives, that they would rather watch the Duggars than that show. 

So yes, I think my life is scraping the bottom of the pond right now. I'm doing live chats for a TLC freak show. I'll show myself out. I'll be in the prayer closet working on a list of things to do offline.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

C2A0BF10-0F7B-4CFB-8CE2-3C96CE1BDD91.jpeg

8227FD02-11F3-494C-85B9-2F4A91DB7E66.jpeg

I can see these as inspirations for a new chapter of Sam & Yay:

The first picture could reference them having kitchen duty.

The second one could be having Sam receiving contraband in the form of silverware and how it was smuggled in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 2/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, riverblue22 said:

I use canned potatoes on grilled kabobs.  They work out better than fresh potatoes IMO~

I have used them before.  They cook just fine.  I do NOT like the smell of them in the can though.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I know this is a question that needs no answer but...........how big of a useless moron is JB?    First, various canned veg is not a "five course meal" it's crap on a plate.  Second I sincerely hope Jill saying they had a ketchup option for "everything" is actually meant for the potatoes not all the items she listed.  I won't hold my breath on that but it's easier than picturing them dipping green beans and carrots in ketchup.  Third and most important, even if you have multiple little kids keeping you busy, even if you're a guy and the kitchen is (in his opinion not mine) the wimmens domain how hard is it to cook the inexpensive basics like burgers or pasta with maybe some ground meat in the sauce, a side of canned veg wouldn't be so bad with those.  Heck even oatmeal or real tuna with mayo or a PB&J sandwich. Any of those with fruit would be a better dinner or lunch.    It doesn't take mensa level intellect to put together something that's actually good for growing kids and is more than "let's dump out whatever canned crap I can find in the cabinet".  That Jill still eats and enjoys the BBQ Tuna and her other meals based on her posted recipes make me think her taste buds have been deadened and warped by a steady diet of meals made primarily from canned high sodium veg and soup in her early years.  She likely never developed the ability to recognize what "fresh" tastes like and probably isn't interested in branching out now.  

So true. He could've open a can of tomato sauce and cooked pasta. What about making soup from those cream of soups cans they love so much, making sandwiches or eggs. How dumb are you if you can even make a sandwich.

• Love 18

#huevos? Hashtagging to her Spanish followers now?

Great minds think alike @JoanArc! I often don't notice there's a next page of posts before posting myself.

Adding a third thought. Miss Cathy seems to be very aware that Jill and Derick do not provide much geared specifically for children, like beds, silverware, etc.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10