Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

. You can agree that Cathy is a nasty bigot yet have sympathy for her regarding one facet of her life.

I'm probably one of the few who feels sympathy for Cathy in this regard. Losing both parents before age 21 and trying to reconnect with her birth mother only to be rejected would be devastating for anyone. It's natural to want to know who you are and where you came from. 

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm probably one of the few who feels sympathy for Cathy in this regard. Losing both parents before age 21 and trying to reconnect with her birth mother only to be rejected would be devastating for anyone. It's natural to want to know who you are and where you came from. 

I agree. I don't wish things like this on anyone. 

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Just now, libgirl2 said:

I agree. I don't wish things like this on anyone. 

I think we are all in agreement. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

My opinion on bringing your own cake to a restaurant is that it would be quite rude to the servers. Here you are, taking up their table space time with your own food; not being charged for the dessert, which leads to them not receiving a proper tip. I'm quite sure the Dillard family does NOT tip extra for taking up the server's table/time. This is why I think they should have gone home and continue the birthday celebration there. These people are quite careless about others, really.

I think if you ask in advance and the restaurant says it is ok, then there is no problem.  There is also no reason not to tip generously at a restaurant that is so accommodating of their customers.  I figure the goodwill they earn by being flexible about this sort of stuff probably offsets the loss of income for the restaurant and staff.  Of course, these are Duggars, so they probably are cheap when it comes to tipping.

• Love 22

It would never occur to me to say ‘My-muh’ like it was in ‘Aunt Jemima’, though why I do not know.  

As for the cakes, I can’t imagine people wanting to bring in homemade cakes in NYC because of the subway, but I fully expect that some people might want to ask about ‘importing’ bakery cakes, and especially if they have access to a car.  My main complaint with homemade cake is probably visceral - I don’t understand the point of taking something homemade to a restaurant, because presumably you are at the restaurant in the first place because they do things ‘better than homemade’.  Of course, then again my cakes taste good, but look like hell.. I’d probably be embarrassed to have any chef see it, haha.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in a fancy downtown French restaurant a few years ago. As most of the menu was shellfish or seafood (I’m allergic) I ordered a pork dish. After being served the table next to us began to berate me. “How dare you eat that. We are Jewish and the smell for us is not kosher. Send it back. Have you no shame?”  Well, first I don’t think they are allowed to eat shellfish either. Second, wasn’t it rude of them to butt into my dining experience?  My meal was ruined as they kept on. What surprised me the most was the staffs lack of intervention. They were loud and the commotion was drawing stares. You’d have thought I was eating a puppy or kitten (sorry about that analogy). It wasn’t a kosher place. Why do some people feed the strong need to impose their religion or thoughts onto others? I don’t need an answer. Some people are just jerks...well I did have another word in mind, but decided to be polite. 

We went out to eat with this cousin and even though we are also Jewish we ordered shellfish and they didn’t say anything. So as always - one size does not fit all. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

“How dare you eat that. We are Jewish and the smell for us is not kosher. Send it back. Have you no shame?”

Was there separate silverware for meat and dairy? (EDIT: I meant silverware, plates, glasses, etc, too.)If not, F them. You can't eat in public without some reasonable compromises.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Was there separate silverware for meat and dairy? If not, F them. You can't eat in public without some reasonable compromises.

Exactly, if the presence of pork in the dining area was so offensive to them, then they should have found a kosher restaurant or stayed home.  Expecting the rest of the world to conform to your own very specific religious practices is selfish.  What did they expect you to do?  Poll the entire dining room before ordering your dinner before ordering something that others might choose not to eat?

My main objection to the cake that they brought to the restaurant was how terrible that cake looked.  Unless Izzy decorated it for his Mimah, there is no excuse for something that messy.

• Love 17
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was in a fancy downtown French restaurant a few years ago. As most of the menu was shellfish or seafood (I’m allergic) I ordered a pork dish. After being served the table next to us began to berate me. “How dare you eat that. We are Jewish and the smell for us is not kosher. Send it back. Have you no shame?”  Well, first I don’t think they are allowed to eat shellfish either. Second, wasn’t it rude of them to butt into my dining experience?  My meal was ruined as they kept on. What surprised me the most was the staffs lack of intervention. They were loud and the commotion was drawing stares. You’d have thought I was eating a puppy or kitten (sorry about that analogy). It wasn’t a kosher place. Why do some people feed the strong need to impose their religion or thoughts onto others? I don’t need an answer. Some people are just jerks...well I did have another word in mind, but decided to be polite. 

They should not have bothered you no matter what they believe. You weren't dining with them or at their home. This wasn't a strictly Kosher place right?  I think that was rude and I would have told them so. I might even had said loudly.... mmmm.... this pig is good! I would have been polite and not caused a scene but I would have made sure they couldn't escape the fact that I was eating pork! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Of course, these are Duggars, so they probably are cheap when it comes to tipping.

And I doubt they had the class to ask whether it was okay to bring in the cake.  Homemade cakes aren't always pretty (I'm speaking of my own!), but they're usually made with love, which is not something you get from a random bakery or restaurant.  I can see some reasons to have the homemade cake at the restaurant, so I don't understand the negativity about it.  My only caveat is that permission is asked and staff are treated respectfully and compensated, both of which would never happen when a Duggar is added to the mix. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

They should not have bothered you no matter what they believe. You weren't dining with them or at their home. This wasn't a strictly Kosher place right?  I think that was rude and I would have told them so. I might even had said loudly.... mmmm.... this pig is good! I would have been polite and not caused a scene but I would have made sure they couldn't escape the fact that I was eating pork! 

My sister in law was a vegetarian once, and whenever any of us had meat she would say loudly "I hope you are enjoying eating dead animal flesh" and we all said "yes, as a matter of fact, we are".  She isn't vegetarian any more.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My sister in law was a vegetarian once, and whenever any of us had meat she would say loudly "I hope you are enjoying eating dead animal flesh" and we all said "yes, as a matter of fact, we are".  She isn't vegetarian any more.

People like that give vegetarians a bad name.  I have been a vegetarian for about 30 years and have never commented on others eating meat.  I feel very strongly about it, but I recognize different points of view.  People have to come to it on their own and can't/shouldn't be shamed into it.

Also - someone mentioned my avatar - it is an Australian Shepard that looks a lot like my blue merle girl, Sushka.

• Love 22
26 minutes ago, Suzn said:

People like that give vegetarians a bad name.  I have been a vegetarian for about 30 years and have never commented on others eating meat.  I feel very strongly about it, but I recognize different points of view.  People have to come to it on their own and can't/shouldn't be shamed into it.

Also - someone mentioned my avatar - it is an Australian Shepard that looks a lot like my blue merle girl, Sushka.

What a lovely name for a lovely dog. ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I love her but she only gave herself a bad name. She is challenging but now she is quite debilitated with MS and we thinjnher dietary choices over time were an attempt to mitigate it. We are not “food snobs” except for my good friend who is vegan unless there is something she wants to eat. We have to accommodate her eating until something else appeals to her. We don’t have to but she makes it hard not to if we are looking for a restaurant. Must have vegan options. And satisfactory options. And then she has been known to order non vegan. That is annoying but she doesn’t represent all vegans 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

And then she has been known to order non vegan. That is annoying but she doesn’t represent all vegans 

She certainly doesn't. If she does this, then she isn't actually vegan. ;) And nearly every restaurant has vegan options. Salad with oil and vinegar? French fries? Not always the most exciting, but you won't starve in one meal.

I do have to say that I've been impressed by Jill and Derick knowing what vegan food is (although of course they are only aware of its existence because of the "health" aspect, not ethical). I wouldn't expect any of the other Duggars to even be familiar with the concept.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, graefin said:

She certainly doesn't. If she does this, then she isn't actually vegan. ;) And nearly every restaurant has vegan options. Salad with oil and vinegar? French fries? Not always the most exciting, but you won't starve in one meal.

I do have to say that I've been impressed by Jill and Derick knowing what vegan food is (although of course they are only aware of its existence because of the "health" aspect, not ethical). I wouldn't expect any of the other Duggars to even be familiar with the concept.

I'm not sure why "vegan" needs to be such an all-or-nothing label. It starts to sound rather like the way various Christian sects want to rail against others for not being "true Christians". 

My brother-in-law stayed with us for 10 days over the holidays. He considers himself vegan, and,though he eats strictly vegan at home, he will make the occasional accommodation when eating in someone else's home. He will still eat strictly vegetarian under those circumstances, but if there is a dish which might contain a little dairy or whatnot, he'll deal with it. 

I did a lot of pretty intensive cooking for our houseful of guests over the holidays, and made sure to make a vegan version of everything we had when I could, but there were a few things which were just too much of a challenge for me to replicate, but everything I made for him was 100% vegetarian, and he ate and enjoyed them. He also is a big fan of honey, which I understand is a point of contention among vegans as well, with those who refuse to eat it not considering those who accept it "not real vegans". I can understand doing your best to stay true to your convictions, but can't quite fathom considering others who might chose to make things a little easier for their human hosts here and there not to be actual vegans because they choose to accept making the occasional concession.

I have a vegan cousin who is 100% watchful over her food, yet she and her ex-husband, who also became vegan over time, owned a bakery which, while all the baked goods were vegan, they also made sandwiches and pizzas with meat and cheese fillings because the clientele they had built up over the years still wanted them. That seems an even greater concession. Is she vegan?

I really hope this is not offensive, it's just something which I have never been able to understand. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, kalamac said:

So, still no sign of Derrick's law school grades?

I don't think we'll hear a peep about them. Grades were apparently due over 3 weeks ago, and the spring semester starts next week. I think he's known about his grades for awhile and that they're not good. Hence, the radio silence. Will be interesting to see if he's still posting about law school come next week. 

• Love 19
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Thanks for reminding me of that time in college when a vegetarian classmate sat down with us at lunch and proceeded to tell us about all the suffering and dirt that went into creating our hamburgers. I asked if she’d ever read The Jungle. My friend chimed in, or Lord of the Flies? She threw out her lunch and stomped out of the dining hall rather than continue to eat with us. 

On topic: Jill has definitely never read either of those books, although her childhood home may have resembled them in certain ways.

• Love 6

I don't think he necessarily failed. I actually assume his grades are about average, but after the huge deal that he and Jill made about it, I think he wants to  save  face.

I can see him doing another semester but not returning for the fall.

• Love 11

Is anyone watching for the Honor Roll/Dean's List or whatever it's called to be posted?

Also given how much studying most of the law students I saw while our relative was in law school did and how they placed, I feel like Derick has 50/50 odds of being allowed to remain after the end of the first year.  I'll be shocked if he does really, really well.  

• Love 5

Is there such a thing as a dean’s list in law school? I thought that was only for undergraduate. I did a master’s degree and there was no dean’s list. 

Anyway, in law school the main thing is that your grades are high enough not to get kicked out. I have a relative who boasts of being in the bottom 10% of his law school class. I guess he can afford to brag because he made a fortune as a lawyer. This was back in the 70s though, everything is more competitive now.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

Is anyone watching for the Honor Roll/Dean's List or whatever it's called to be posted?

Also given how much studying most of the law students I saw while our relative was in law school did and how they placed, I feel like Derick has 50/50 odds of being allowed to remain after the end of the first year.  I'll be shocked if he does really, really well.  

Currently, my phone isn’t opening the site. Last time I checked, Spring 2018 honors and chancellor lists were still up. There was no reference to fall, 2018.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Abstract said:

Is there such a thing as a dean’s list in law school? I thought that was only for undergraduate. I did a master’s degree and there was no dean’s list. 

Anyway, in law school the main thing is that your grades are high enough not to get kicked out. I have a relative who boasts of being in the bottom 10% of his law school class. I guess he can afford to brag because he made a fortune as a lawyer. This was back in the 70s though, everything is more competitive now.

I don't know how U of A does it but generally there's not a Deans' List in law school. Grade point average and class rank is everything. But as @Abstract said, you can succeed and prosper as a lawyer if you didn't rule the class rankings. Although it's super-competitive these days with the glut of JDs that US law schools have been pumping out for years now, with no end in sight.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm not sure why "vegan" needs to be such an all-or-nothing label. It starts to sound rather like the way various Christian sects want to rail against others for not being "true Christians". 

My brother-in-law stayed with us for 10 days over the holidays. He considers himself vegan, and,though he eats strictly vegan at home, he will make the occasional accommodation when eating in someone else's home. He will still eat strictly vegetarian under those circumstances, but if there is a dish which might contain a little dairy or whatnot, he'll deal with it. 

I'm going to answer this here since it was asked, but since I also realize it's off topic I'll try not to go too far into it.

It's "all or nothing" simply because vegan is, by definition, an ethical position:

Veganism was defined by The Vegan Society (founded by Donald Watson in 1944) between 1951 and 1979 as follows:
“The word ‘veganism’ denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude – as far as is possible and practicable – all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.” (1979) 
“Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life.” (1964)
“The word veganism shall mean the doctrine that man should live without exploiting animals.” (1951)
“Veganism is a principle – that man has no right to exploit the creatures for his own ends – and no variation occurs.” (1951)
According to Leslie Cross (vice president of The Vegan Society) in a vegan humanity (where “man” should read “humans” here and above) “the idea that his fellow creatures might be used by man for self-interested purposes would be so alien to human thought as to be almost unthinkable.” (1951)
According to H. Jay Dinshah, founder of the American Vegan Society, “Vegan aims are much more than just ‘animal welfare’, with a bit more feed for the slaves, cleaner cages for the vivisected, or another box of bandages to plaster over the terminal cancer that is animal slavery and exploitation. In short we are abolitionists, though nonviolent ones, for how we accomplish something is every bit as important as that it is done (and often more so).” (1967)

Some people who label themselves "vegan" don't see it as a social justice issue but rather as a dietary preference. It's not just about food (people may think that because it happens that nonhuman animals are exploited in the greatest numbers for food) but about all ways in which they are used by us. To say that it's acceptable to "just deal with a little dairy" is saying a little exploitation and killing is acceptable; we'd never find it OK to do the same when it comes to human justice issues ("He'll be strictly not racist under those circumstances, but if he's out and above, he might make a concession here or there depending on the company," for example). That's what speciesism is about. Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

12 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have a vegan cousin who is 100% watchful over her food, yet she and her ex-husband, who also became vegan over time, owned a bakery which, while all the baked goods were vegan, they also made sandwiches and pizzas with meat and cheese fillings because the clientele they had built up over the years still wanted them. That seems an even greater concession. Is she vegan?

Well, besides what I said above about veganism not just being about food, her business obviously isn't vegan but she herself may be. Most vegans I know, however, would not feel comfortable funding the animal exploitation industries and have made their shops fully vegan.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

I was busy trying to figure out why the bottom half of his face was sliding in different directions in some of the pics than in others. 

It appears to me that the lower third of his face is held together with Silly Putty and Crazy Glue and it slip slides all over the place from photo to photo.

• Love 12

Yeah. I clicked on the article expecting some bit of crazy salacious gossip. Instead, it's just someone quoting Derick's OWN words and expressing their opinion of them. As @Trillium says, if you don't want it quoted back at you then don't say it in the first place. He really is a piece of work.

• Love 14
41 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It appears to me that the lower third of his face is held together with Silly Putty and Crazy Glue and it slip slides all over the place from photo to photo.

I was gonna guess that some pics were mirror images, but I like your explanation better 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, graefin said:

I'm going to answer this here since it was asked, but since I also realize it's off topic I'll try not to go too far into it.

It's "all or nothing" simply because vegan is, by definition, an ethical position:

Veganism was defined by The Vegan Society (founded by Donald Watson in 1944) between 1951 and 1979 as follows:
“The word ‘veganism’ denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude – as far as is possible and practicable – all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose.” (1979) 
“Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life.” (1964)
“The word veganism shall mean the doctrine that man should live without exploiting animals.” (1951)
“Veganism is a principle – that man has no right to exploit the creatures for his own ends – and no variation occurs.” (1951)
According to Leslie Cross (vice president of The Vegan Society) in a vegan humanity (where “man” should read “humans” here and above) “the idea that his fellow creatures might be used by man for self-interested purposes would be so alien to human thought as to be almost unthinkable.” (1951)
According to H. Jay Dinshah, founder of the American Vegan Society, “Vegan aims are much more than just ‘animal welfare’, with a bit more feed for the slaves, cleaner cages for the vivisected, or another box of bandages to plaster over the terminal cancer that is animal slavery and exploitation. In short we are abolitionists, though nonviolent ones, for how we accomplish something is every bit as important as that it is done (and often more so).” (1967)

Some people who label themselves "vegan" don't see it as a social justice issue but rather as a dietary preference. It's not just about food (people may think that because it happens that nonhuman animals are exploited in the greatest numbers for food) but about all ways in which they are used by us. To say that it's acceptable to "just deal with a little dairy" is saying a little exploitation and killing is acceptable; we'd never find it OK to do the same when it comes to human justice issues ("He'll be strictly not racist under those circumstances, but if he's out and above, he might make a concession here or there depending on the company," for example). That's what speciesism is about. Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Well, besides what I said above about veganism not just being about food, her business obviously isn't vegan but she herself may be. Most vegans I know, however, would not feel comfortable funding the animal exploitation industries and have made their shops fully vegan.

My friend is vegan strictly for her health. She is not an animal fan at all and gives no thought to that part of veganism. So that’s why she can go off it at her whim

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

My friend is vegan strictly for her health. She is not an animal fan at all and gives no thought to that part of veganism. So that’s why she can go off it at her whim

Conversely, I know plain old vegetarians who are/have turned pescatarian, and their justification (after calling the carnivorous amongst us "meat fascists" for years running), is "Well, a shrimp is only slightly smarter than an amoeba."  I know another friend who was veggie until she turned over cooking duties to her husband, simply because she was squeamish about touching raw flesh. 

However, I do think there are some people who can't willy-nilly go off vegetarian/veganism, because as I am given to understand it, some folks' stomachs rebel after they get used to the lack of meat, which is sobering to contemplate.  I remember the girl next door when I was growing up, went to Sweden and came back vegetarian, and (this was back in the days when McDonalds still used beef tallow for their french fries, but it wasn't well publicized), she thought she could get away with choosing the fries when out with her friends after school.  Reportedly she then spent the entire car ride home, hanging her head out the window throwing up.

• Love 4
Just now, queenanne said:

Conversely, I know plain old vegetarians who are/have turned pescatarian, and their justification (after calling the carnivorous amongst us "meat fascists" for years running), is "Well, a shrimp is only slightly smarter than an amoeba."  I know another friend who was veggie until she turned over cooking duties to her husband, simply because she was squeamish about touching raw flesh. 

However, I do think there are some people who can't willy-nilly go off vegetarian/veganism, because as I am given to understand it, some folks' stomachs rebel after they get used to the lack of meat, which is sobering to contemplate.  I remember the girl next door when I was growing up, went to Sweden and came back vegetarian, and (this was back in the days when McDonalds still used beef tallow for their french fries, but it wasn't well publicized), she thought she could get away with choosing the fries when out with her friends after school.  Reportedly she then spent the entire car ride home, hanging her head out the window throwing up.

I guess it varies.  Said friend looks forward to her Christmas pork chops with no dietary consequences and eats fish/shrimp/crawfish when she feels like it.  I do remember those McDonald's fries-boy they were fabulous

• Love 5

Jill posted a live Instagram of the family on the way to the orthodontist this morning.   Actually doubted that he was still under the care of one.   

What really stood out to me is they literally have nothing to say to one another.  They each repeat that they are going to orthodontist, Derick  mentions running errands, and then he says something about “getting the stress out before school starts again”.  Whatever that means.   And of course Jill gives a few little laughs here and there.  They are so fucking odd

Edited by tabloidlover
One more thought...
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, sure, except for the part where I explained that veganism isn't just about diet ;)

Oh, and I saw the first few minutes of Jill's live Insta vid. Those car seat straps are still dirty AF, but Israel's got sunglasses on, so maybe she's taking some criticisms to heart? Derick still drives like he has a stick up his ass, but it looks like it's been dislodged at least a little bit.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I guess it varies.  Said friend looks forward to her Christmas pork chops with no dietary consequences and eats fish/shrimp/crawfish when she feels like it.  I do remember those McDonald's fries-boy they were fabulous

Yes they were. 

• Love 1

New blog post:

Congratulations Seewalds!

Jan 10, 2019 | Family Blog | 3 

We are so excited for Jessa and Ben on their recent pregnancy announcement of baby Seewald #3!! We can’t wait to meet the him or her!

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

New blog post:

Congratulations Seewalds!

Jan 10, 2019 | Family Blog | 3 

We are so excited for Jessa and Ben on their recent pregnancy announcement of baby Seewald #3!! We can’t wait to meet the him or her!

Translation:  I, Jill, am absolutely heartbroken that, once again, my YOUNGER sister has stolen the attention that is rightfully MINE and is bringing forth another blessing while I am stuck with just two not so special blessings.  This is MY season of life, dammit!

ETA: if our suspicions are correct and Jana is on the brink of a courtship and a wedding, one that will be embraced by the public in a way that Jill's never was, a wedding and courtship that will be part of the show while Jill and Derelict will be forced off to the side and out of sight; Jill may be on the edge of a breakdown just about now.  No way is she happy and excited, try frustrated and pissed off.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 24