Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

They might be getting WIC, but they aren’t getting SNAP. Generally, able-bodied adults have to show they are working or are actively looking for work in order to qualify for SNAP. While I am usually in favor of expanding U.S. social welfare programs, i’m glad Jill and Derick can’t get SNAP. I leave my kid in daycare and work damn hard every day for my money. I don’t want it going to support a fully qualified, employable accountant who has decided that he needs an fourth do-over in less than five years. 

“Actively” perusing  employment apparently has different definitions, especially when children are involved. I know of people who receive SNAP benefits who are not employed at all, or are part time.

Depending on Jill and Derick’s assets, and reportable income, they could qualify. That doesn’t mean they would apply, though.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

“Actively” perusing  employment apparently has different definitions, especially when children are involved. I know of people who receive SNAP benefits who are not employed at all, or are part time.

Depending on Jill and Derick’s assets, and reportable income, they could qualify. That doesn’t mean they would apply, though.

I only know a little bit about SNAP, but, back a couple years ago, ‘actively seeking work’ meant interviewing for 2 jobs a month.  Not exactly onerous, especially since there was no requirement to actually take the job if it was offered.  How do I know? I was asked fairly often by pregnant patients to sign a medical waiver because they were pregnant and doing 2 job interviews a month was too much for them.  I never signed a single one, BTW.

• Love 17
7 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Interesting point about the timeline. I don't know when the deadline was for the application to law school, but certainly Derick had to spend time getting his undergraduate transcripts sent over, studying for the LSAT, etc. The point is that he thought of law school while he was right in the middle of his missionary program.

In early 2011, my husband and I had a couple of setbacks: He couldn't have kids, and I was let go from my job due to reduction in force (a school district). My husband was also finishing up his master's, so we decided to go back to get our PhDs. It was too late to apply for fall 2011 enrollment, so we applied for fall 2012. But in the meantime, we had to do something during that interim year, so I did contract work and my husband worked at Caribou Coffee. So I wonder if Derick was planning to go to law school all along and the missionary gig was an interim step?

The big difference, is that you and your husband were *earning* money with those interim gigs. Derick *paid* Cross Church something like ten grand to hang out there and work as an intern for a year. Unless he's got a terrific master plan going that we don't know about, in which that paid internship + law degree are necessary steps? That seems quite a backasswards thing to do, instead of actually earning/saving money in the year before starting law school.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

I’m so happy I was fortunate enough to have my education financed by the Bank of Mom and Dad!  (I was an only child, which may have something to do with that). 

Same here. Though in all reality, I never even wanted to go to college, per se...I wanted to go to art school, but they wouldn't finance that. So I ended up getting a degree which I had pretty much zero interest in by the time I was done with it, and never worked in my field (psychology). After that, I became a stay-at-home mom pretty much in perpetuity while making some pocket change here and there with art.

We paid for our three kids' college as well, though the first one dropped out of school after three semesters and joined the Marines, and the third one we ended up using Mr Jyn's GI Bill for, as he had already gotten two Bachelor's degrees and two Master's while still in the Navy, on their dime. So, really, sending all the kids to college didn't end up as huge an expense as it might have. And as for son #1, he got out of the Marines after 10 years, and is making 6 figures in the civilian sector, so his lack of a college education didn't do him much harm either.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Saylii said:

I would not be surprised if Derick got a chunk of change from his Dad’s passing.  Other then moving out of the pool house, he’s never acted like he’s been short on $$$.  Even traveling in Nepal before he hooked up with the Duggar’s wouldn’t have been cheap.  Law school may drain what’s left, but it wouldn’t surprise me if both Derick and Dan got high 5 to 6 figures from life insurance policies.

OTOH I would be surprised.

Derick went to Nepal under the auspices of the International Missions Board, so I believe his travel was subsidized. He was "officially" aka ostensibly providing some kind of tour guide services there, and I believe he could have lived very cheaply on whatever stipend/pay he got from the IMB or whoever paid for his tour guide services. I don't think he was living in luxury. He may not have come home any richer than when he left but he probably at least broke even. As to Danger America, IIRC Derick finally admitted they were working for SOS Ministries. Between TLC and SOS I doubt the Dillards paid for many (if any) plane tickets themselves. They lived in SOS housing (guarded compound IIRC), and probably SOS provided some stipend that would cover their food and living costs. Not to mention whatever sums they grifted for "Dillard Family Ministries" (I've always loved that plural, like they have so many ministries on the go, lol).

Derick's father was a police officer in Rogers, Arkansas who died suddenly of a heart attack. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think the town of Rogers, or the State of Arkansas, provide lavish life insurance policies or survivor benefits for their law enforcement officers - to the tune of giving Cathy, Derick, and Dan *each* something in the neighborhood of $100K cash. Sure, Cathy and Rick might have bought life insurance themselves in addition to whatever his job provided. But in that case the beneficiary is usually the surviving spouse, and not also each of the kids. There are some benefits for survivors of Arkansas LEOs killed in the line of duty. I don't know if RIck's death from a heart attack would be considered that kind of death. Even if it were, the educational benefits for Derick and Dan would have been limited - although I'm sure welcomed. BTW, Derick was already a student at OSU when his father died. I assume Dan was still a minor living at home. (And those educational benefits are only for dependent surviving children under the age of 23, so that ship sailed long ago for Derick.)

I also think the Dillards were probably a typical middle class family, not struggling but carrying a home mortgage and other regular middle-class type bills and expenses. With Cathy working, and I'm sure receiving some life insurance and death benefits, I don't think that Rick's sudden death was a financial disaster. (For instance, Dan as a minor might have been entitled to a monthly social security benefit but as we know that's not big bucks.) I just don't think it was a huge financial windfall.

Cathy may have set aside some of Rick's life insurance money to give to each of her sons as a "getting launched in life" fund, but again, I doubt it was anything in the high 5 figures. 

Jill and Derick don't live lavishly as far as I can tell - especially when you look at those photos of their grungy cheap-*ss rental housing that she's always posting on social media. With JB in the auto biz, buying cars at auction, I doubt they've ever paid full price for a vehicle. For recreation they go to places like Silver Dollar City or over to Stillwater, OK, but that's no big trip especially if they hop a ride to Stillwater on the family plane (I doubt JB bills them for that). Derick bitched on social media about it taking a year to pay off the medical bills for one of their kid's birth (I think it was Iz) because TLC wouldn't, so I doubt he's sitting on a pile of cash.

So I doubt they are living the high life, his devotion to Dave Ramsey would seem to preclude taking on student debt, neither he nor Jill seem to be gainfully employed, so it's a little fuzzy to me what the deal really is with the Dillards' finances.

BTW I remember Jill posting a photo on social media very early in their marriage, of the two of them watching a Dave Ramsey video together. Derick's reference to Ramsey being important to them recently makes me wonder if they did hit some financial skids recently despite his devotion to Ramsey's teachings going back years. Or, he could just be dramatizing things in his blog, and hoping he'll get something in return for plugging Ramsey. 

• Love 19

Regarding bills, dont forget Sam's complicated and likely very expensive birth. Unlike with Iz's, at that point interest in the Dullards had dried up and there were no People covers or very special TLC birth episodes to help pay the bills.

If we are to believe Dreck that the Dulls were volunteers on the the show and not compensated, well then, the math just doesn't add up.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

Regarding bills, dont forget Sam's complicated and likely very expensive birth. Unlike with Iz's, at that point interest in the Dullards had dried up and there were no People covers or very special TLC birth episodes to help pay the bills.

If we are to believe Dreck that the Dulls were volunteers on the the show and not compensated, well then, the math just doesn't add up.

I agree, it's not at all clear. I just don't think Derick got a huge payout on account of his dad's death or is sitting on a big pile of cash. The Dillards may, however, have some savings, more than his poor-mouthing and bitching online would suggest.

I also remembered after posting above, that at some time before Derick and Jill got married, Cathy was diagnosed with cancer. Even if she had good insurance, those treatments and related expenses, and loss of income, could well have taken a big bite out of her net worth. Leaving less money for her to give to her  young adult sons if she were so inclined. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

course I could be wrong, but I don't think the town of Rogers, or the State of Arkansas, provide lavish life insurance policies or survivor benefits for their law enforcement officers - to the tune of giving Cathy, Derick, and Dan *each* something in the neighborhood of $100K cash.

If dad was in a union her could get life insurace benefits from that, too.  I am in a nursing union, and have reciprocal membership and several other unions, and they all give survivor benefits.  Mine work out to nearly 6 figures. That’s not counting any other insurance. Not enough to be set for life, though, and he’s surely blown through his nest egg by now.

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

also remembered after posting above, that at some time before Derick and Jill got married, Cathy was diagnosed with cancer.

Cancer insurance is cheap and offered by many employers. She may have had it soften the blow. I get 30k if coverag3 for something like $3 per paycheck. Totally worth it.

2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

BTW I remember Jill posting a photo on social media very early in their marriage, of the two of them watching a Dave Ramsey video together.

He seems to have blocked out totally that he is a trained accountant and should be able to manage a household budget straight out of college. WTF did he do at Walmart? Have someone check his figures?

Their whole lives are just a sad trip downhill.  He’s never going to work at a prestigious company like Walmart with a decent job, or stand in front of a McMansion, or have a attractive face, or be free of screaming children.  But hey, he and Jill  have  done the theological equivalent of scoring four touchdowns in a single football game against Polk High, so I guess everything works out? 

• Love 19
24 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

If dad was in a union her could get life insurace benefits from that, too.  I am in a nursing union, and have reciprocal membership and several other unions, and they all give survivor benefits.  Mine work out to nearly 6 figures. That’s not counting any other insurance. Not enough to be set for life, though, and he’s surely blown through his nest egg by now.

Cancer insurance is cheap and offered by many employers. She may have had it soften the blow. I get 30k if coverag3 for something like $3 per paycheck. Totally worth it.

He seems to have blocked out totally that he is a trained accountant and should be able to manage a household budget straight out of college. WTF did he do at Walmart? Have someone check his figures?

Their whole lives are just a sad trip downhill.  He’s never going to work at a prestigious company like Walmart with a decent job, or stand in front of a McMansion, or have a attractive face, or be free of screaming children.  But hey, he and Jill  have  done the theological equivalent of scoring four touchdowns in a single football game against Polk High, so I guess everything works out? 

I've got a lot of cousins who are cops, in a large city, and unionized, to boot, and, yet, I don't see any of them living high on the hog or having major life insurance benefits.  One of my cousins was forced to retire early after a brain tumor and surgery made it impossible for him to work.  His wife works full time and his fellow officers have held fund raisers for him and his family (3 kids still at home when he was diagnosed).  His oldest still-at-home son joined the Army so he could go to college on the GI Bill when he gets out.  They are not wealthy.  My other cop cousins all work second and third jobs doing security in order to pay for their kids' college.  Law enforcement is hardly a get rich quick thing.

I  have a friend whose sister in law was married to a police officer who was shot and killed breaking up a robbery leaving her with 3 little kids.  The union and the city paid off her house (a modest one in a middle class neighborhood), she gets his salary including pay raises based on the assumption he would've been promoted regularly until she is 65, and her kids have nice college funds from insurance and donations, but the money is mostly stipulated to be spent on education, it is not meant to support them as adults while they dabble in various non-careers. BTW,  she still works and she doesn't live a lavish lifestyle.  And she deserves every dime she gets.  No way she will have 6 figure gifts to hand out to her kids when they reach adulthood.  And, once again, her husband was a member of a big city force in the Midwest, small town Arkansas is not nearly as known for its benefits for police officers.  Also, if Derick's father had died while on the job, surely it would've been noted in his obituary or in the local newspaper and we'd all know about it.

I hope Cathy didn't have 'Cancer insurance' as it is a rip off.  It is one of the most profitable products that insurance companies sell and has one of the very worst payouts per premium dollar spent ratios.  The insurance companies prey on people's fear of cancer and charge a relatively small premium which makes people think it's a bargain and it is not.  Presuming Cathy needed to take a leave from her job and it extended beyond the amount of sick time she had accumulated, $30 grand wouldn't last even a year, let alone give her any sort of cushion to help her kids.  I would hope Walmart provided her with good health insurance although, as anyone can tell you, their reputation is that they are stingy with benefits for the rank and file.  

• Love 21
43 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

But hey, he and Jill  have  done the theological equivalent of scoring four touchdowns in a single football game against Polk High, so I guess everything works out? 

How dare you equate these no-minds to Al Bundy!!!  Them's fightin' words!! :)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I only know a little bit about SNAP, but, back a couple years ago, ‘actively seeking work’ meant interviewing for 2 jobs a month.  Not exactly onerous, especially since there was no requirement to actually take the job if it was offered.  How do I know? I was asked fairly often by pregnant patients to sign a medical waiver because they were pregnant and doing 2 job interviews a month was too much for them.  I never signed a single one, BTW.

According to what I found on the Arkansas SNAP website yesterday, the rules are stricter than that. Any able-bodied adult who isn’t working 30 hours per week or enrolled in a government work program can only receive SNAP for 3 months out of 36. After they use up their 3 months, they’re done for three years. So Derick’s not getting SNAP. Where it get so interesting, and more complicated than I originally thought, is that the ineligibility only attaches to the individual, not the entire household. So Jill and the boys could be getting SNAP if they otherwise qualify under the income and asset criteria.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

According to what I found on the Arkansas SNAP website yesterday, the rules are stricter than that. Any able-bodied adult who isn’t working 30 hours per week or enrolled in a government work program can only receive SNAP for 3 months out of 36. After they use up their 3 months, they’re done for three years. So Derick’s not getting SNAP. Where it get so interesting, and more complicated than I originally thought, is that the ineligibility only attaches to the individual, not the entire household. So Jill and the boys could be getting SNAP if they otherwise qualify under the income and asset criteria.

Yes, my experience is with pregnant women and young kids and the rules have always been a lot more lax for them, if only because it is in society's best interest as a whole to make sure that its babies and kids are getting decent nutrition.  SNAP for kids only lasts until age 4 though in most cases.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, my experience is with pregnant women and young kids and the rules have always been a lot more lax for them, if only because it is in society's best interest as a whole to make sure that its babies and kids are getting decent nutrition.  SNAP for kids only lasts until age 4 though in most cases.

Perhaps you are thinking of WIC? That’s until age 5.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Perhaps you are thinking of WIC? That’s until age 5.

Yep, most of my patients get WIC which is similar to, but more generous than SNAP which is for everyone while WIC is limited to pregnant and nursing women and young kids.  Still, it did have a minimal work requirement for adults receiving benefits, at least it did in my state back a few years ago.  I have also had non-pregnant patients receiving government benefits who were required to attend various job training seminars and/or interview for work or do community service type work in exchange who have also requested a medical waiver because they had menstrual cramps or similar issues.  I don't sign those, either.

Jill would be eligible for WIC if she is still nursing Sammy and both boys would also be able to receive it, too, presuming their income is low enough, which it probably is.  WIC's income requirements for receiving coverage are much more generous than for regular SNAP benefits.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
On 1/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, BradandJanet said:

Derick should tell the story about how his jaw ended up at a different angle than the rest of his face. 

Maybe if enough people desperately WANT to slap someone upside the head all that intent eventually has the same effect as doing it?

Yes, this is my little fantasy, but I’m sticking with it...

• Love 8
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:I've got a lot of cousins who are cops, in a large city, and unionized, to boot, and, yet, I don't see any of them living high on the hog or having major life insurance benefits.

You know it only pays out when someone dies, right?

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

hope Cathy didn't have 'Cancer insurance' as it is a rip off.  It is one of the most profitable products that insurance companies sell and has one of the very worst payouts per premium dollar spent ratios.  The insurance companies prey on people's fear of cancer and charge a relatively small premium which makes people think it's a bargain and it is not.  Presuming Cathy needed to take a leave from her job and it extended beyond the amount of sick time she had accumulated, $30 grand wouldn't last even a year, let alone give her any sort of cushion to help her kids.  I would hope Walmart provided her with good health insurance although, as anyone can tell you, their reputation is that they are stingy with benefits for the rank and file.  

Far from a rip-off.. it’s to help lesson the blow, cover temporary absense from work, and cover what insurance won’t - like the frickin deductible. It’s not designed to be the payout you seem to think it is. Since arguing by anecdote is cool, I’ve known one person who end up using it twice, receiving a total of about $80,000.  I also had a coworker who had a tiny spot of melanoma removed, for virtually no money, and use the rest as a down payment on her house. Doctors don’t necessarily make the best business decisions.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

You know it only pays out when someone dies, right?

Far from a rip-off.. it’s to help lesson the blow, cover temporary absense from work, and cover what insurance won’t - like the frickin deductible. It’s not designed to be the payout you seem to think it is. Since arguing by anecdote is cool, I’ve known one person who end up using it twice, receiving a total of about $80,000.  I also had a coworker who had a tiny spot of melanoma removed, for virtually no money, and use the rest as a down payment on her house. Doctors don’t necessarily make the best business decisions.

Disability insurance would work for any illness requiring time away from work and is a far better value than any insurance that only pays for a single disease and not others.  This is why I have always had disability insurance, based on the advice of my financial planners.  As for doctors not making the best business decisions, I am not sure where that comes in here.  The doctor doesn't buy the cancer insurance, the patient does.  Or, they do if they don't realize that they are far better covered with a disability policy.

https://www.thebalance.com/insurance-policies-you-dont-need-1289676

As you can see from this article, most cancer insurance policies do not cover skin cancer nor do they pay out over and above the medical expenses that are not covered by the person's primary insurance.  I don't know where your friends got their policies, but, if they were actually covered for skin cancer and received cash lump sum payments not based on the actual costs of their treatment; they had some exceptionally unusual cancer policies. Lucky them, but the cancer policies I have seen are like the ones discussed in this article: they don't cover all cancers and the amount of coverage is for treatment expenses not covered by regular insurance and not a cash payout like a death benefit.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
Just now, doodlebug said:

I think he would decry others for doing it but excuse himself as being the exception.  And, of course, he'd never admit it to the world.  Sorta like how people who claim to be fundamentalist Christians have as high a rate of out of wedlock pregnancy and abortion as the rest of the country while telling the rest of us that we're the sinners.

Yes, I have heard about the fundies and their out of wedlock pregnancies.  One of my ex friends (her doing because I didn't share some Jesus-y thing on Facebook) has a son who was a missionary in danger america many years ago.  He has three daughters and i think a gay son, not out, obviously.  Anyway, all three of those girls got pregnant. I asked friend and she said oh they don't talk about birth control because if they do that will mean the girls are thinking about sex.  What?  Of course they are.  

• Love 14
On 1/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, Christina87 said:

I agree with this. I can actually see Boob sneakily giving JILL money, but not Derick. I definitely see him slipping her a hundred dollar bill while at the TTH, giving her meal or grocery gift cards, or buying things like clothes or toys for the boys. I just think Boob hates Derick too much at this point to give him anything, but he'd have to sneakily give to Jill because of their beliefs that all money must be handled by the headship. Also, I'm sure if Jill legitimately needed something (her vacuum cleaner broke, etc), I could see Boob showing up with the cheapest model, or handing her fifty bucks. I can see Cathy doing this too. Derick would come home and not even notice that they have a different vacuum cleaner, so he might never know about the extra money. I feel like JB is sympathetic enough to Jill to secretly help her out, but I also see these handouts stopping after Derick graduates. 

This burns me up!!! We KNOW the crap diet that Derick eats, so we know he just got handed a lucky metabolism, that he's never had to work one day to maintain. It makes me mad to think that he thinks he could relate to the majority of us, who eat decently but still have to watch our weight! Hopefully karma gets him. One of my best friends used to have a skinny boyfriend like him, and he bullied her for being "fat" at a size two! He would say, "I can eat whatever I want because of my metabolism, but you need the salad." Now, guess who's got a belly? And guess who can't take a joke on Facebook about his new figure? Hehehe. Karma is real!

Oh, Karma already “got him”.  Take a look at his face. <slinking off to the Prayer Closet>

• Love 11

SNAP benefits it my state are very strict. However there are a slew of exceptions to the rules. Students are exempt from the able bodied work rule as are many people with mental health issues and new moms. New moms can receive both SNAP and WIC at the same time. With that said, Jill is an able bodied person and would likely disqualify the family.

I'm guessing Jill and Derick are living on student loans and Cathy probably springs for an occasional "date night" for them and maybe buys the boys clothes and diapers here and there. I really don't think JB & M give the Dillards anything at all, as neither of them give off a generous vibe to me. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

As you can see from this article, most cancer insurance policies do not cover skin cancer nor do they pay out over and above the medical expenses that are not covered by the person's primary insurance.  I don't know where your friends got their policies, but, if they were actually covered for skin cancer and received cash lump sum payments not based on the actual costs of their treatment; they had some exceptionally unusual cancer policies.

My plan covers melanoma - as did my coworker - as provided by through ma employer. It’s not that uncommon - sorry to contradict your one poorly sourced internet article.

On another note, how I know Jill doesn’t get WIC - it covers healthy food for kids and moms. Just look how they eat - cream of cream of cream of crap soup. No health there.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

On another note, how I know Jill doesn’t get WIC - it covers healthy food for kids and moms. Just look how they eat - cream of cream of cream of crap soup. No health there.

Alas, WIC doesn't cover a lot of what they eat, but it does cover stuff like eggs, milk, cheese, peanut butter and whole grain bread which we do know they also eat and would give them more cash to buy the awful stuff Jill wants to cook

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Alas, WIC doesn't cover a lot of what they eat, but it does cover stuff like eggs, milk, cheese, peanut butter and whole grain bread which we do know they also eat and would give them more cash to buy the awful stuff Jill wants to cook

Yeah, I honestly don’t remember seeing any of those foods regularly consumed. Perhaps they are, and Jill’s gets a spare 85 cents for another can of Rotel. I do think they still get gift cards donated or pulled from the communal hopper.

33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

But she could get all the canned cream o slop from a local food bank.

• Love 1

Has anyone else ever wondered about how much more attention this couple gets than the rest of the Duggar cast? If Jill and Derick are using social media for income, traffic driven by hatred and disgust is still just another click, right? I don't follow any of these people on other platforms, but on this forum,  their board is the most active by far.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, sleepysuzy said:

Has anyone else ever wondered about how much more attention this couple gets than the rest of the Duggar cast? If Jill and Derick are using social media for income, traffic driven by hatred and disgust is still just another click, right? I don't follow any of these people on other platforms, but on this forum,  their board is the most active by far.

I’ve thought about that...do hate clicks pay the same? I would be surprised if any retail sales would result from hate traffic...maybe political donations to progressive rights groups, but what else? It’s not like I’m going to go buy cream of chicken soup in bulk because these two mostly make me nauseated.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes, I have heard about the fundies and their out of wedlock pregnancies.  One of my ex friends (her doing because I didn't share some Jesus-y thing on Facebook) has a son who was a missionary in danger america many years ago.  He has three daughters and i think a gay son, not out, obviously.  Anyway, all three of those girls got pregnant. I asked friend and she said oh they don't talk about birth control because if they do that will mean the girls are thinking about sex.  What?  Of course they are.  

Sadly, I bet these people privately blame teens getting pregnant on the government / society, since teen marriage is looked down upon and stigmatized. I actually know fundies who think like this, though they wouldn't ever admit it in polite company. If everyone could marry at 15, they'd be happy. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

SNAP benefits it my state are very strict. However there are a slew of exceptions to the rules. Students are exempt from the able bodied work rule as are many people with mental health issues and new moms. New moms can receive both SNAP and WIC at the same time. With that said, Jill is an able bodied person and would likely disqualify the family.

I'm guessing Jill and Derick are living on student loans and Cathy probably springs for an occasional "date night" for them and maybe buys the boys clothes and diapers here and there. I really don't think JB & M give the Dillards anything at all, as neither of them give off a generous vibe to me. 

Jill would be exempt in Arkansas because she is caring for minor children. Derick would not be exempt as a graduate student. The boys probably would because I think the only state which has work requirements for toddlers is Wisconsin.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’ve thought about that...do hate clicks pay the same? I would be surprised if any retail sales would result from hate traffic...maybe political donations to progressive rights groups, but what else? It’s not like I’m going to go buy cream of chicken soup in bulk because these two mostly make me nauseated.

It depends on how they're using their social media as income. If they're like most "influencers" and have just monetized their websites with something like Google AdSense, then a hate click is the same as a like click. The advertisers don't care why you're looking at their blog, just that you potentially saw the ads embedded in it and maybe clicked on one. It's the same way this site makes income to operate without us having to buy anything and why Wikipedia is always having to ask for donations (because they're ad free).

I think it's unlikely Jill and Derick are making any money partnering with a brand or acting as affiliates, just based on how quickly FabFitFun dumped Jill. That's where the negative association would come into play; brands don't want to be affiliated with hot topic people and the traffic garnered by people visiting the site to hate wouldn't be buying the stuff they recommend anyway.

2 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

The boys probably would because I think the only state which has work requirements for toddlers is Wisconsin.

Wait ... what? What kind of job does Wisconsin expect of a toddler to qualify for benefits? I'm so confused.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Jill would be exempt in Arkansas because she is caring for minor children. Derick would not be exempt as a graduate student. The boys probably would because I think the only state which has work requirements for toddlers is Wisconsin.

If a child has 2 parents, how do they decide which is exempt for caring for them?

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, McManda said:

It depends on how they're using their social media as income. If they're like most "influencers" and have just monetized their websites with something like Google AdSense, then a hate click is the same as a like click. The advertisers don't care why you're looking at their blog, just that you potentially saw the ads embedded in it and maybe clicked on one. It's the same way this site makes income to operate without us having to buy anything and why Wikipedia is always having to ask for donations (because they're ad free).

I think it's unlikely Jill and Derick are making any money partnering with a brand or acting as affiliates, just based on how quickly FabFitFun dumped Jill. That's where the negative association would come into play; brands don't want to be affiliated with hot topic people and the traffic garnered by people visiting the site to hate wouldn't be buying the stuff they recommend anyway.

Wait ... what? What kind of job does Wisconsin expect of a toddler to qualify for benefits? I'm so confused.

I was joking.

1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

If a child has 2 parents, how do they decide which is exempt for caring for them?

It doesn’t matter from a benefit calculation standpoint which parent stays home, but you only get credit for one stay-at-home parent. I was assuming Derick would be the one to work since his earning potential is higher.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I was joking.

Oh, whew. I'm going to blame not getting the joke on me desperately needing to step away from these boards and sleep. 

(But really, after reading about some things nothing really would surprise me anymore.)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Suzn said:

I think he wouldn't look so unpleasantly unattractive if there were any genuine warmth or kindness shining from his eyes.  I can't stand to look at him because of what I see in his crazy eyes.

I think you're really right about this. Great insight!

Edited by Jeeves
Coherence helps. Just saying.
  • Love 3