Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Wait what? Was this mentioned before, that Derick weighed close to 400lbs???  I did click on the link and he claims to have lost over 250 in just three months. To do this he’d have to create a nearly 10,000 calorie per day deficit. I honestly don’t think it’s physically possible. If you’re going to make shit up, at least keep it realistic.

From his blog:

Some of you may not know this, but 7 years ago I weighed nearly 400 pounds.  The day was New Years Eve, 2011, and I knew I needed to discipline myself to lose 250 pounds and lose it fast!  I didn’t know how I was going to do it nor how I would stay focused, but I was determined that it was going to happen, and nothing could stop me.  It was all set… I would wake up each morning at 3AM, super motivated, before my daily 4-hour weight workout that would warm me up for a 19-mile jog.  

Exercise was important, but I’m pretty sure diet was the key. An important factor was drinking a glass of orange juice that had been organically hand-squeezed the way a blog I read said to hand-squeeze it, but it also had to be the kind infused with glacier water that had locked in the right blend of purified nutrients since the ice age.  With this carefully-balanced plan, I could be successful.  I even surprised myself when I saw that nearly 100 pounds had just melted away in the first month!  I ended-up ahead of schedule, dropping 251 pounds in just 3 months!

The next paragraph:

"If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is.  There’s a lot of talk this time of year about making resolutions.  Whether you intend to make a physical, financial, spiritual, or some other resolution, it’s important to have a game-plan for success. Just before heading off to serve in Nepal, in January 2012 a leader at my orientation shared some wise advice that has helped me roadmap various goals since then."

Edited to add, I didn't see there was a next page on this thread when I posted this.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The next paragraph:

"If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is. 

I posted it that at the top of the page, but it seems people keep ignoring it.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I posted it that at the top of the page, but it seems people keep ignoring it.

I hadn't made it to this page when I posted it. I guessed that I missed a page when it did a funky, flashy and long save though.

• Love 2

Firstly: "If this story sounds too good to be true, it usually is" - like marrying a sheltered, emotionally immature virgin from a TV family, and expecting a perfect marriage, fame & fortune?

Secondly: ending with this quote "Colossians 3:23-24 says “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.”"  HAHAHAHAHA. I know the quote distinguishes between doing for the Lord, and not for men, but I don't think he works heartily at anything, no even for the Lord.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

here are two that really encouraged our family in 2018 and that are sure to get you off on the right foot in 2019: 1) Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University and book, “The Total Money Makeover,”

Wha..... you were given financial counseling by your in-laws prior to marriage.  So, are you saying you blew all those sweet, sweet TLC paychecks?   Maybe that you’re deep in debt to the hospital over some of the Jill’s tomfoolery? 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Wha..... you were given financial counseling by your in-laws prior to marriage.  So, are you saying you blew all those sweet, sweet TLC paychecks?   Maybe that you’re deep in debt to the hospital over some of the Jill’s tomfoolery? 

I think his debt is likely to be educational debt. According to the University of Arkansas law school website, in-state cost for tuition, fees, and books is $8500 per semester. That’s $17,000 per year for three years, or $51k total. Then when you add up rent, utilities, phone charges, food/sundries, clothing/shoes, health insurance, auto insurance, gas for the car(s) and the occasional treat for a family of four, even in dirt-cheap Arkansas you’re looking at what, $1200/month minimum? So add $15,000 per year for living expenses and the total amount Derick’s degree is going to cost them is $96,000. Their earned income for this period is $0, so that hundred grand has to come from somewhere. 

It’s not coming from grant aid. The University of Arkansas financial aid site indicates that their need-based grant aid is largely provided through federal grant programs, with the remainder covered by two state grant programs. As a graduate student, Derick is ineligible for all of these programs. I know people have speculated that Cathy is covering the costs, but i’ve seen nothing to indicate that she has an extra $30k a year lying around. And you know JB’s cheap ass isn’t paying the bills. I suspect he’s borrowing, probably quite heavily. Which would be fine if he was going to graduate and find. Job where he can pay it back, but sometime within the next year he’s going to see something shinier than law school and bolt, leaving $50k in debt and no way to pay it off. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I think his debt is likely to be educational debt. According to the University of Arkansas law school website, in-state cost for tuition, fees, and books is $8500 per semester. That’s $17,000 per year for three years, or $51k total. Then when you add up rent, utilities, phone charges, food/sundries, clothing/shoes, health insurance, auto insurance, gas for the car(s) and the occasional treat for a family of four, even in dirt-cheap Arkansas you’re looking at what, $1200/month minimum? So add $15,000 per year for living expenses and the total amount Derick’s degree is going to cost them is $96,000. Their earned income for this period is $0, so that hundred grand has to come from somewhere. 

It’s not coming from grant aid. The University of Arkansas financial aid site indicates that their need-based grant aid is largely provided through federal grant programs, with the remainder covered by two state grant programs. As a graduate student, Derick is ineligible for all of these programs. I know people have speculated that Cathy is covering the costs, but i’ve seen nothing to indicate that she has an extra $30k a year lying around. And you know JB’s cheap ass isn’t paying the bills. I suspect he’s borrowing, probably quite heavily. Which would be fine if he was going to graduate and find. Job where he can pay it back, but sometime within the next year he’s going to see something shinier than law school and bolt, leaving $50k in debt and no way to pay it off. 

I think that JB may be funding some of this -- I know it's unlikely given his disdain for higher education, and Derick failing to work at the family business, but I think it's possible. One of the posts that we saw earlier asked if Derick was in the States for Christmas, and he said "for now." Jill hated DA, and really fell apart away from the TTH. If Derick keeps his "heart for missions" dangling over the family, JB might pony up some money to keep him happy and keep him local. I don't think that JB HAS that kind of money, but he might be ponying up something. Maybe he and Cathy are splitting the tuition and Derick's "job" covers living expenses?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that JB may be funding some of this -- I know it's unlikely given his disdain for higher education, and Derick failing to work at the family business, but I think it's possible. One of the posts that we saw earlier asked if Derick was in the States for Christmas, and he said "for now." Jill hated DA, and really fell apart away from the TTH. If Derick keeps his "heart for missions" dangling over the family, JB might pony up some money to keep him happy and keep him local. I don't think that JB HAS that kind of money, but he might be ponying up something. Maybe he and Cathy are splitting the tuition and Derick's "job" covers living expenses?

Derick doesn’t have a job. I don’t think he’s even pretending to be working now that he’s in law school. 

I really don’t see JB giving him that money, for a number of reasons. First, I don’t doubt he loves Jill, but I don’t think he’s so sentimental that he’d give Derick $30k a year just to keep her stateside. He’s way too cheap, and I think he also really believes that as the family headship Derick gets to choose the family’s course. If that means going to DA, JB would expect Jill to suck it up and go with him. Second, it would set a terrible precedent. If JB pays for Derick’s schooling, what’s to stop Ben and Jeremy and whoever else comes along from expecting he’ll pay for theirs? If he refused, it could cause serious strife in the family, and remember that JB’s world depends on his kids and their spouses keeping their mouths shut about all the family dirty laundry — he can’t afford serious strife. Finally, Derick has publicly been a huge asshole about TLC and the show. I think if JB were giving him thousands of dollars a year, he would expect Derick to stop biting the hand that feeds him.

• Love 22

I'm not sure the books he recommended are particularly meaningful for them. I mean he said they were, but he also talked about weighing 400 pounds. Dave Ramsey (according to reviews) is a Christian financial planner, who mainly talks about paying off debts and not incuring big debts. (Ramsey writes alot about Jesus, but you skip those parts if you want.) Actually interestingly, Mr. Ramsey is against higher education if it means going into debt. (If you can pay for it, then that's different. )

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

In reference to the last posted picture: 

Sam gets to play with Grandma and Izzy gets...coasters. Doesn’t Grandma have any toys or didn’t they allow the boys to travel with any? 

A good grandma always has toys. 😊 (or at least crayons and paper)

• Love 13

Derick is an ass. That first line (and the paragraph it leads to) was designed to be nothing more than clickbait.

Also, neither he nor Jill can write worth a damn. Do they offer remedial writing classes in law school?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 21
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I really don’t see JB giving him that money, for a number of reasons. First, I don’t doubt he loves Jill, but I don’t think he’s so sentimental that he’d give Derick $30k a year just to keep her stateside. He’s way too cheap, and I think he also really believes that as the family headship Derick gets to choose the family’s course. If that means going to DA, JB would expect Jill to suck it up and go with him.

I think you may be underestimating the Duggars' basic "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrisy. Jim Bob pays lip service to the idea that every wife is bound to obey her husband, but in reality, I think he expects all of his adult children (sons, daughters and in-laws) to stay securely under his control. If Derick insisted on returning to DA and Jill wanted to remain behind in Arkansas, I don't think Jim Bob would have a problem with that. Jill, Yaay and Sam could move back into the TTH, Jana could take over raising the kids and Jill could spend her days happily sitting around doing nothing. It wouldn't cost Jim Bob that much, compared to the cost of maintaining them in a home of their own. Michelle wouldn't care; she's so checked out these days that she'd barely notice they were there.

The only problem would be explaining it to the public, but they could spin it as a big sacrifice on Jill's part: "Jill wants desperately to be at Derick's side, helping him with his mission, but the Lord has laid it on her heart that she needs to stay behind and keep the children here where they're safe from danger.  But she will be with Derick in spirit and our thoughts and prayers are with him and we look forward to the day when we'll all be together again." The leghumpers would swallow that, hook, line and sinker, and shower Jill with praise like they always do.

• Love 21
8 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

It made my heart happy you used the word sundries. The convenient store on the college campus I went to had The Sundry or The Sundry Store (I don’t remember which) and I have since loved that word.

Ah! I just looked back it is @mynextmistake! As I was reading Sam’s latest journal entry, I was thinking what puts it over the top is the word choice. Like calling the slide an egress. So clever!

• Love 16
17 hours ago, Trillium said:

Editing because DDD buried the lede. He rambled about his obesity and subsequent weight loss only to be all “lolz, jk guys, but listen as I impart my vast wisdom on you”

Wait what? Was this mentioned before, that Derick weighed close to 400lbs???  I did click on the link and he claims to have lost over 250 in just three months. To do this he’d have to create a nearly 10,000 calorie per day deficit. I honestly don’t think it’s physically possible. If you’re going to make shit up, at least keep it realistic.

From his blog:

Some of you may not know this, but 7 years ago I weighed nearly 400 pounds.  The day was New Years Eve, 2011, and I knew I needed to discipline myself to lose 250 pounds and lose it fast!  I didn’t know how I was going to do it nor how I would stay focused, but I was determined that it was going to happen, and nothing could stop me.  It was all set… I would wake up each morning at 3AM, super motivated, before my daily 4-hour weight workout that would warm me up for a 19-mile jog.  

Exercise was important, but I’m pretty sure diet was the key. An important factor was drinking a glass of orange juice that had been organically hand-squeezed the way a blog I read said to hand-squeeze it, but it also had to be the kind infused with glacier water that had locked in the right blend of purified nutrients since the ice age.  With this carefully-balanced plan, I could be successful.  I even surprised myself when I saw that nearly 100 pounds had just melted away in the first month!  I ended-up ahead of schedule, dropping 251 pounds in just 3 months!

Yeah...no. Not only would he be dead from that kind of a transformation, he doesn't have enough loose skin OR the money for that type of surgery to support his claim. Does he think we're idiots? Wait...don't answer that. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The full blog post:

The Key to Keeping Your 2019 Resolutions

Jan 1, 2019 | Life Matters | 1 

In the spirit of the New Year, I’d like to share a personal story about New Year’s resolutions.  

If this story sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is.  There’s a lot of talk this time of year about making resolutions.  Whether you intend to make a physical, financial, spiritual, or some other resolution, it’s important to have a game-plan for success. Just before heading off to serve in Nepal, in January 2012 a leader at my orientation shared some wise advice that has helped me roadmap various goals since then.  

You may have even heard this before, but this leader shared the importance of having S.M.A.R.T. goals.

Specific.  As the old adage goes… if you aim for nothing, you’re sure to hit it every time.  So be sure you know specifically what you’re shooting for in 2019.

Measurable.  How are you supposed to know whether you’ve reached your goal if you have not defined it within measurable bounds?!  Plus, if you’re a visual person like myself, it’s always motivating when I can chart out my progress toward a particular goal.  I always think back to elementary school, when I would watch the United Way progress thermometer fill up as our school worked toward our giving goal.  

Achievable.  Having an achievable goal is the key to avoiding discouragement, especially early on in your journey.  if our goals are unrealistic, we can get discouraged when we make it harder on ourselves to actually follow-through.  Like my hypothetical story above, if you were to oversleep your 3AM wakeup goal and subsequently cut short your 19-mile run because you weren’t able to fulfill your 4-hour weight room session, then you’re probably going to find it even harder to do the next day.  If you’re like me, when you skip a day, it can be even more tempting to justify falling more off track, saying something like “well… I already screwed up yesterday, what’s another day going to hurt?”  Knowing your own limits and setting achievable goals can help avoid this hang-up and keep you from getting discouraged along the way.         

Relevant.  Be sure to set goals that are consistent with your overall life plan.  This may seem obvious, but many times we fail to see the big picture.  Know what your overall, long-term goals are (think decades out).  Then reverse-engineer what your smaller goals are, so that they’re in-line with what you want to accomplish.  For example, if you want to own your own business, what are you doing now to build your skills and achieve that end.  Our daily activities should be in line with our higher-level vision for where we want to be in the future.  

Time-sensitive.  Procrastination is what we’re trying to guard against here.  Having goals that are both measurable and time-sensitive gives yourself rules, which you can use to judge whether you’re successful or not.    

If you’re looking for some helpful resources to get you motivated, here are two that really encouraged our family in 2018 and that are sure to get you off on the right foot in 2019: 1) Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University and book, “The Total Money Makeover,” and 2) Dr. Henry Cloud’s “Boundaries” book.

As always, keep everything in perspective and realize that nothing ultimately matters anyway unless it’s done for the one true God.  Colossians 3:23-24 says “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” 

Quoting myself because I feel the post may have been missed.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Regarding how derelict is paying for school, how would he even get a loan? He's got no income that we know of. Don't you sort of have to have some income in order to get a loan? 

Maybe they still have a decent credit history after having both TLC money and missionary money for a while. They don't seem to be particularly extravagant as Duggarlings go, so they may well have decent credit at this point. If that's true some private lenders would give them an education loan for post-college work without requiring them to have current employment -- And Cathy might cosign, too -- I think she's pretty supportive of Der's mission to save the world for conservative Christianity....and I'm among those who think that his law-school ambitions are all about that. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Regarding how derelict is paying for school, how would he even get a loan? He's got no income that we know of. Don't you sort of have to have some income in order to get a loan? 

If it is for education, then getting a loan is very easy.  He won't have to pay anything back until a year after his classes end.  All he has to do is show that he has registered for classes in order to apply for student loans.  He even gets to decide how much he wants to borrow, and can borrow money to live on.  The loan company pays the school and the school gives Derick the remaining money to use as he sees fit.  When I was in graduate school, I took out extra money my last semester to pay for needed car repairs, and I know of pharmacy school students who would take out enough money in loans to pay rent for the school year.  

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If it is for education, then getting a loan is very easy.  He won't have to pay anything back until a year after his classes end.  All he has to do is show that he has registered for classes in order to apply for student loans.  He even gets to decide how much he wants to borrow, and can borrow money to live on.  The loan company pays the school and the school gives Derick the remaining money to use as he sees fit.  When I was in graduate school, I took out extra money my last semester to pay for needed car repairs, and I know of pharmacy school students who would take out enough money in loans to pay rent for the school year.  

Yes. @QuinnInND Graduate students can take out loans for tuition as well as living expenses. No income or credit required.  If you use federal loans only- you can only take out the “cost of attendance” which is tutition, books and living- meaning you aren’t in poverty but aren’t living the high life either. Even in the middle of Chicago IL I was able to pay rent/utilities and eat on student loans. My Mom would treat me to manicures and things like that. Back in MY day (class of 2010, middle of the market crash!!) people also took out private loans to live on in the summer while they did public interest work that didn’t pay. (I’m so glad I didn’t do that!)

Derrick can most certainly be living on law school loans. 

• Love 15
14 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Derick doesn’t have a job. I don’t think he’s even pretending to be working now that he’s in law school. 

I really don’t see JB giving him that money, for a number of reasons. First, I don’t doubt he loves Jill, but I don’t think he’s so sentimental that he’d give Derick $30k a year just to keep her stateside. He’s way too cheap, and I think he also really believes that as the family headship Derick gets to choose the family’s course. If that means going to DA, JB would expect Jill to suck it up and go with him. Second, it would set a terrible precedent. If JB pays for Derick’s schooling, what’s to stop Ben and Jeremy and whoever else comes along from expecting he’ll pay for theirs? If he refused, it could cause serious strife in the family, and remember that JB’s world depends on his kids and their spouses keeping their mouths shut about all the family dirty laundry — he can’t afford serious strife. Finally, Derick has publicly been a huge asshole about TLC and the show. I think if JB were giving him thousands of dollars a year, he would expect Derick to stop biting the hand that feeds him.

I agree with this. I can actually see Boob sneakily giving JILL money, but not Derick. I definitely see him slipping her a hundred dollar bill while at the TTH, giving her meal or grocery gift cards, or buying things like clothes or toys for the boys. I just think Boob hates Derick too much at this point to give him anything, but he'd have to sneakily give to Jill because of their beliefs that all money must be handled by the headship. Also, I'm sure if Jill legitimately needed something (her vacuum cleaner broke, etc), I could see Boob showing up with the cheapest model, or handing her fifty bucks. I can see Cathy doing this too. Derick would come home and not even notice that they have a different vacuum cleaner, so he might never know about the extra money. I feel like JB is sympathetic enough to Jill to secretly help her out, but I also see these handouts stopping after Derick graduates. 

20 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Okay, that’s taking arrogant asshattery to a whole new level, even for him.

Scrawny people have no damned business even pretending to have a clue what obesity is like, especially not to make some half-assed point I can’t even be bothered to try to follow.

One thing is for certain: a two-bit 20-something unemployed failed famewhore is in no position to be handing out advice about ANYTHING.

This burns me up!!! We KNOW the crap diet that Derick eats, so we know he just got handed a lucky metabolism, that he's never had to work one day to maintain. It makes me mad to think that he thinks he could relate to the majority of us, who eat decently but still have to watch our weight! Hopefully karma gets him. One of my best friends used to have a skinny boyfriend like him, and he bullied her for being "fat" at a size two! He would say, "I can eat whatever I want because of my metabolism, but you need the salad." Now, guess who's got a belly? And guess who can't take a joke on Facebook about his new figure? Hehehe. Karma is real!

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

He also could be having his education paid for by a law firm or other business that wants to employ him after he graduates. A friend of mine had her B.S. in nursing paid for by agreeing to work for a local hospital for a few years after her graduation.  

Except there’s a huge shortage of nurses and a surplus of lawyers in many places?

Besides, with all the hardworking, non-idiots who would never slam their employers on Twitter out there, why would any company see anything in Derrick worth gambling that kind of money on?

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 20
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Not a student loan. They know those things can never go away and are pretty generous with what they offer. When my husband was still in the Army he took a few courses---the Army paid for them so we had no out of pocket expenses---and the letters and offers he got were insane! 

• Love 2

We have many Master's level interns at my agency who have cost of living loans included in their school loans. I cringe every time I see them with a take-out coffee thinking, they're going to be paying off that $2.00 for the next 20 years. That $2.00 coffee will cost $20.00 or more before all is said and done.

Paying off school loans as an entry level lawyer with half a dozen kids or so is not going to be easy.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not for law school. People with law degrees are almost literally a dime a dozen. I can't imagine there's anything so Super Sparklepony special about Derick that would cause a law firm to pay for his law school education. 

Yep. For years now, US law schools have been pumping out many more newly minted J.D.s (the Juris Doctor degree, not the Duggar son) than there's a market for. I have a huge respect for the law, and enormous contempt for the law school situation right now. Just a bit of time on Google will turn up blogs, books, and articles about the glut of law school graduates, many of whom are struggling financially, while carrying huge student debt that they incurred to get their law degrees. The hard cold facts are that the only law school students with good prospects for landing decent well-paid jobs as lawyers, are attending the handful of top-tier law schools and doing well there. 

Yep. It's quite a system. Nobody cares about your credit rating for student loans. If you're accepted to the school, you can borrow an amazing amount of money to cover tuition, fees, books, living expenses, whatever. The thing is, as @Loves2Dance mentioned, student loans are forever. They are *not* dischargeable in bankruptcy. It's a win for the school, because tuition and fees are non-refundable. It's a win for the lender because - the loan is for.ever. and ever. It could be a big "lose" for the student/debtor if she doesn't get the degree or her post-degree employment doesn't pay enough so that she can repay the student debt without hardship. 

I've probably mentioned this book before: Don't Go To Law School Unless - by a law professor. As I said, this is a subject I feel strongly about.

As to Derick, it's possible he will graduate and get hired to do work he wants to do. I wouldn't bet on it myself, but as I said, it's possible. 

And the lenders will go after social security income for unpaid debt into retirement.

• Love 6

I still have to wonder if Dreck tantrumed and hissy-fitted his way to a Boob/TLC payout.

Der's bitchfest with TLC and Boob coincided w/the timeline he would need to apply to law school. He could have taken a scorched earth approach with Boob and threatened to reveal the Duggar family dirt if Jill didn't get her payout for all her 'volunteer' years on TLC. This would also explain why Dreck appears to be persona non grata at the TTH while Jill is still apparently welcome.

Now I half expect to see a 'we're one big happy family' photo with Boob and Dreck to deflect any rumors in 3, 2, 1.

• Love 9

If Derick had not wasted over ten grand last year on that ridiculous program, then maybe i might believe that Jill's TLC money was paying for his first year of law school.  As it stands, I think he is subsidizing law school with student loans.  I also would not be surprised if Jill and the boys are not on WIC or even SNAP.  There is no way that they can afford two small kids on whatever income their website draws in.  They probably don't make enough money on a monthly basis to pay for the diapers.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If Derick had not wasted over ten grand last year on that ridiculous program, then maybe i might believe that Jill's TLC money was paying for his first year of law school.  As it stands, I think he is subsidizing law school with student loans.  I also would not be surprised if Jill and the boys are not on WIC or even SNAP.  There is no way that they can afford two small kids on whatever income their website draws in.  They probably don't make enough money on a monthly basis to pay for the diapers.

I wonder if Jill’s TLC money is gone?

Granted, they don’t live extravagantly like the Vuolos, but there’s money coming in from somewhere.

My theory is that both Derick and Dan have money in trust from their father’s estate. Dan bought his house around the time that Derick was planning to go to law school, so maybe they both were able to draw from it at that time.

Cathy would have made sure that her children were well taken care of especially since she’s remarried.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, lulu69 said:

I still have to wonder if Dreck tantrumed and hissy-fitted his way to a Boob/TLC payout.

Der's bitchfest with TLC and Boob coincided w/the timeline he would need to apply to law school. He could have taken a scorched earth approach with Boob and threatened to reveal the Duggar family dirt if Jill didn't get her payout for all her 'volunteer' years on TLC. This would also explain why Dreck appears to be persona non grata at the TTH while Jill is still apparently welcome.

Now I half expect to see a 'we're one big happy family' photo with Boob and Dreck to deflect any rumors in 3, 2, 1.

If he did that ( though I doubt it), I would kind of love it. Jill had a horrible childhood. I feel like all those kids deserve payment from the show. 

I can't wait for someone to write a tell all. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Interesting point about the timeline. I don't know when the deadline was for the application to law school, but certainly Derick had to spend time getting his undergraduate transcripts sent over, studying for the LSAT, etc. The point is that he thought of law school while he was right in the middle of his missionary program.

In early 2011, my husband and I had a couple of setbacks: He couldn't have kids, and I was let go from my job due to reduction in force (a school district). My husband was also finishing up his master's, so we decided to go back to get our PhDs. It was too late to apply for fall 2011 enrollment, so we applied for fall 2012. But in the meantime, we had to do something during that interim year, so I did contract work and my husband worked at Caribou Coffee. So I wonder if Derick was planning to go to law school all along and the missionary gig was an interim step?

Edited by madpsych78
Bringin' the story back around and making a point
  • Love 5

I would not be surprised if Derick got a chunk of change from his Dad’s passing.  Other then moving out of the pool house, he’s never acted like he’s been short on $$$.  Even traveling in Nepal before he hooked up with the Duggar’s wouldn’t have been cheap.  Law school may drain what’s left, but it wouldn’t surprise me if both Derick and Dan got high 5 to 6 figures from life insurance policies.

• Love 7

I thought going into debt was against the Gothard rules.  Didn't Derelict have to swear to JB before he was allowed to court Jill that he would never even use a credit card, much less accumulate tens of thousands in student loans? 

• Love 7