Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

At my heathen Catholic Church anyway, those sorts of positions leading Bible study or youth groups are unpaid. The few positions for lay people that are paid are not anywhere near full-time and the compensation is minimal.

That's exactly what my first thought was!!! I went to the big, downtown church in my town, and we had a huge youth group, but a schoolteacher took the position as a small, one day a week side gig. I've heard of people I went to college with going to seminary to be youth pastors, and I've questioned why they'd need a masters degree in that sort of thing when even large churches see it as a second job for someone. I'm sure at most churches, it is unpaid. They remind me so much of a married couple I know who are sharing a ministry "position" that they barely get paid for, and live off their parents. Why can't Derrick get a JOB and then go to this once a week? Why can't Jill be the sole primary caretaker for her children and have Jana babysit once a week for THIS, instead of helping her every day and then bringing her small children to a college youth group? Derrick AND Jill would have more meaningful experiences to talk about with the kids if they each did something. Get on it, Derrick! There are plenty of jobs that end at five, which still leaves you three hours to get to C3. 

Btw, high school kids may consider your ministry a "profession," but college kids will see right through that BS!

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

. Why can't Derrick get a JOB and then go to this once a week? Why can't Jill be the sole primary caretaker for her children and have Jana babysit once a week for THIS, instead of helping her every day and then bringing her small children to a college youth group? Derrick AND Jill would have more meaningful experiences to talk about with the kids if they each did something. Get on it, Derrick! There are plenty of jobs that end at five, which still leaves you three hours to get to C3. 

Because they're Duggars. Remember, they do things a little bit differently from the rest of us.

• Love 11

I hope they are just using Izzy and Samuel as props for advertising. It would piss me off of those baby boys had to go with them every week to listen to them blather on in the Bible studies (and probably annoy the college kids), and listen to loud music until all hours. They should be in bed at 8!

• Love 5

Does anyone else remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets fired from an office job he doesn't actually work at? ("But i don't actualIy work here. I know, that's what makes this so hard!') Once the college students get sick of the Dullard's bs (and we all know they will) ministry enrollment will drop & the church will be saying 'thanks but no thanks' lol 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Jill doesn't appear to be wearing a second shirt in either of the pictures.  Modesty be damned!

Well, thank goodness for small miracles!  Good for her.  I can't imagine wearing a skin-tight shirt under another shirt after giving birth, what with your body all rearranged, not to mention nursing, and in the southern heat on top of that.  Wonder if she had to get the OK from Heavy D for this fashion-forward thinking?

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I thought wearing "compression" garments/shirts under your clothes was helpful after giving birth?

If you've had a csection you don't want anything tight on the incision area. I wore my maternity pants for a month after my csection because they didn't have waistbands.

• Love 4

Is it me? I think little children like Izzy and Sam just don't belong at a college aged gathering, religious or not. They are VERY young and their idiot parents need to 'volunteer' by themselves. I'm sure Cathy would like to take care of them for a few hours once a week.  Yes, D1 & D2 need to BE HOME IN BED AT 8PM.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

If you've had a csection you don't want anything tight on the incision area. I wore my maternity pants for a month after my csection because they didn't have waistbands.

No, you really don't. I'm still in my 14's and XL undies nearly falling off me despite losing 50#.  My female troubles make anything tight very uncomfortable, so I totally feel for Jill.  She looks so much better. Happier than she's been since she was courting Derick.  As many posters have suggested, she's elated not to be going back to DA.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Is it me? I think little children like Izzy and Sam just don't belong at a college aged gathering, religious or not. They are VERY young and their idiot parents need to 'volunteer' by themselves. I'm sure Cathy would like to take care of them for a few hours once a week.  Yes, D1 & D2 need to BE HOME IN BED AT 8PM.

Sadly, this is most likely the closest that the boys will come to college.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Eh, I don't know. It's not like it's a keg party; something being college aged doesn't automatically mean it's bad for kids. Also, we don't know if Izzy and Sam will be attending every meeting and I honestly doubt they will. (My guess is that Jana will get to know her nephews quite a bit better in the near future). Any exposure to people outside the Duggar household is a good thing for Izzy IMO and a lot of babies will just sleep through anything. If it would be an every night occurence there would be some cause for concern but I doubt that will happen. I can't see the Dullards committing to something like that; it would be too much like actual work.

• Love 4

I wouldn't be surprised if their church had a child care room for these types of events for both the volunteers and the participants.  However, in terms of the photo - it was probably a skit and they were portraying 'family'. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Absolom said:

Cross Church already has a college pastor named Brian Mills.  What Jill and Derick are doing really looks like a volunteer post at most churches.

I agree. 

Maybe they get $50 for their time.  But this is not a adequate paying job for a man with a wife and two children. 

Another joke. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I agree. 

Maybe they get $50 for their time.  But this is not a adequate paying job for a man with a wife and two children. 

Another joke. 

Yep. That will go into the college fund! (sheesh, I could not even type that with a straight face).

Off to the prayer closet I go. Anybody need a ride?

• Love 8

Seriously.

THIS is their big ministry?  People volunteer for these positions and have a family, a job, etc.  Anyone who has gone to church knows that this takes up about 5 hours a week, at most

I'm embarrassed for them. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

DONATION from fans. Or thrifted.

I think he bought it when he was 16 in an attempt to look cool, and when it didn't work it sat in the recesses of his closet for ten years, until now that he needs a "college kid costume."

• Love 9

It will be interesting to see what they do with this on the show. I looked at the web site and "staff" are listed and Derick and Jill are not there (http://crosschurch.com/ministries/fayetteville-college-ministry/27/). Will TLC allow them to pretend that this is their "ministry." Will they treat this as their own alternative to having jobs and taking care of their family?

Cross Church has a lot of ministries If Derick actually finished his education and worked hard, he could get a gig here. I just don't see either of those things happening.

• Love 4

Yeah, that would require actual work. I'm sure Derelict loves his once a week gig at the church, occasional filming with TLC, and a free house to boot. It's worked for them so far. I'm sure he figures why mess with a good thing? 

Plus, this lifestyle gives him much more time to harrass children on twitter. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
forgot to mention the freebie mcmansion
  • Love 20
19 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I thought wearing "compression" garments/shirts under your clothes was helpful after giving birth?

I found it to be helpful. I used compression fabric for a few weeks and was back to normal button/zip shorts at 3 weeks pp. Some people don't like it, but I wouldn't do it any other way. 

• Love 1

I'm going to be furious if they act as if this "ministry" is some kind of all-consuming job substitute.  Volunteering regularly at a house of worship or in the community is a part of everyday life for huge numbers of people of all faiths (or no faith at all!).  I know people with demanding full-time jobs who devote hours each week to one cause or another with no expectation of thanks or recognition.   

• Love 21

As for the picture with them holding the "family" sign, I have a friend who went to a big church where they would take pictures of you and your family with signs like that. She and her daughter got theirs taken with one that said "Love". Maybe it's the same thing. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Portia said:

I'm going to be furious if they act as if this "ministry" is some kind of all-consuming job substitute.  Volunteering regularly at a house of worship or in the community is a part of everyday life for huge numbers of people of all faiths (or no faith at all!).  I know people with demanding full-time jobs who devote hours each week to one cause or another with no expectation of thanks or recognition.   

I'd start stocking up on the wine now because this is exactly what they're gonna claim and do. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

As for the picture with them holding the "family" sign, I have a friend who went to a big church where they would take pictures of you and your family with signs like that. She and her daughter got theirs taken with one that said "Love". Maybe it's the same thing. 

Maybe it's some sort of fundie thing.  I've noticed the Duggar girls use signs in their décor like 'Family' or 'Eat' or 'Faith' and so does Joanna Whatsername from Magnolia.  I really don't need to hang a sign in the kitchen that says 'Eat' or put a sign on the mantel next to photos that says 'Family' and I really don't understand how that contributes to the décor.  I can figure out that the kitchen is for eating and the photos are of family without a sign pointing it out.

• Love 15

Which family is it thad had the "Salt, Lime..." sign in their kitchen? I laughed out loud when I caught a glimpse of that. Excuse me, you idiots, did you mean to enshrine the recipe for margaritas on your wall? 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Portia said:

IDK, some people are kind of slow-witted.  I think my husband would benefit from a big sign in the bathroom that says "SH**!"  He seems to think that's his reading room.

Meh...it's always been my reading room as well. That being said, I do have a couple of signs prominently featuring the word "wine" where one would think the bottles alone might be clue  enough that it was probably going to be an aspect in the use of that space.

Edited to clarify that we are not still talking about the bathroom in the second instance...

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe it's some sort of fundie thing.  I've noticed the Duggar girls use signs in their décor like 'Family' or 'Eat' or 'Faith' and so does Joanna Whatsername from Magnolia.  I really don't need to hang a sign in the kitchen that says 'Eat' or put a sign on the mantel next to photos that says 'Family' and I really don't understand how that contributes to the décor.  I can figure out that the kitchen is for eating and the photos are of family without a sign pointing it out.

It's like a fundie version of Pinterest trends :X

• Love 5

I don't see why Derick can't go to any seminary, even a really conservative one, and become a real pastor! He has a college degree, which already gives him a leg up on Bin. I'm sure seminaries have applicants from all degree programs, not just religion graduates!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Portia said:

IDK, some people are kind of slow-witted.  I think my husband would benefit from a big sign in the bathroom that says "SH**!"  He seems to think that's his reading room.

Mine too!  LOL.  It's his own little library :)

18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I don't see why Derick can't go to any seminary, even a really conservative one, and become a real pastor! He has a college degree, which already gives him a leg up on Bin. I'm sure seminaries have applicants from all degree programs, not just religion graduates!

He probably started losing brain cells the minute he contacted Boob.  What, we expect him to put forth effort?  ;)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I have a friend who added a specific picture to match the room's purpose, a person cooking in the kitchen, a family eating breakfast in the dining room, reading in the family room, etc. The pictures were always small and not a focal point. I found it rather charming. 

I agree that the directives are not necessary.

• Love 4

Fundies are all about "family values" so any piece of decor that brings this message home is like sparkly things to a magpie.  Anything they think magnifies a heterosexual union and a passel of kids shows us all how they are superior to everyone else. 

• Love 16
27 minutes ago, louannems said:

I wonder if the FAMILY sign the Dullards are holding is for married college students with kids.  Maybe they segregate married students from the single ones because married ones have a higher status!

To be fair, in their world, if you're old enough to go to college, you probably already have at least 3 or 4 kids.

• Love 13

I'm going to be so annoyed if they pass this C3 thing off as a "job" on TLC, like someone stated above. I'm sure they will, though. What else will they claim the dullards are doing? Now this will give the leghumpers ammunition.

regular person: "they need to get jobs."

leghumper: "nooooo they have jobs thank u very much Derrick I believe works at a church n Jill is a midwife! So they work! Take several seats!"

RP: "actually, Derrick just runs a one-night a week ministry, and Jill isn't a qualified midwife."

leghumper: "who r u 2 judge Derrick does more for that church that u have ever done n Jill is a midwife I remember when she past her test n she trained for years to be a midwife. Smh so many perfect people on here."

Derrick recently posted a C3 thing on instagram, and Jill replied, saying, "it'll be cooler than the solar eclipse!" Someone asked them if they were going to watch it, and they didn't say anything. Is it possible they are so anti-science that they don't "believe" in the eclipse or some other BS? How would that possibly conflict with their religion?

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm going to be so annoyed if they pass this C3 thing off as a "job" on TLC, like someone stated above. I'm sure they will, though. What else will they claim the dullards are doing? Now this will give the leghumpers ammunition.

regular person: "they need to get jobs."

leghumper: "nooooo they have jobs thank u very much Derrick I believe works at a church n Jill is a midwife! So they work! Take several seats!"

RP: "actually, Derrick just runs a one-night a week ministry, and Jill isn't a qualified midwife."

leghumper: "who r u 2 judge Derrick does more for that church that u have ever done n Jill is a midwife I remember when she past her test n she trained for years to be a midwife. Smh so many perfect people on here."

Derrick recently posted a C3 thing on instagram, and Jill replied, saying, "it'll be cooler than the solar eclipse!" Someone asked them if they were going to watch it, and they didn't say anything. Is it possible they are so anti-science that they don't "believe" in the eclipse or some other BS? How would that possibly conflict with their religion?

Haha! You are quite fluent in "leghumper-ese"...nailed it!

• Love 17