Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's a horrible case and I've actually avoided the coverage as much as possible. 

i would recommend avoidance as well - it is horrible.

Trigger warnings all over this one. DO NOT search to read about it, very disturbing.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Is she allowed to go anywhere alone? 

With 7 kids she probably always has at least 3 or 4 with her all the time. Plus it probably wouldn’t occur to her to go anywhere alone. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
15 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

With 7 kids she probably always has at least 3 or 4 with her all the time. Plus it probably wouldn’t occur to her to go anywhere alone. 

Well by alone, I mean without another adult. An "accountability partner." Even though she's a married woman. 

• Like 2

Any of Anna's oldest 3 would be old enough to be an accountabily person in Duggar world. JB pointed out on the show he took a child with him on errands for that purpose if Meech wasn't going with him. James, etc weren't much older than Kynzie and Michael when they were courtship chaperones.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Ass, yes. But nothing like a guy who wins most of his cases. 

I wonder how many cases he has won? I think Gelfand goes after the cases he knows that he will lose because of the appeals he knows that he will get the most money.

2 minutes ago, ChristmasCandy said:

I wonder how many cases he has won? I think Gelfand goes after the cases he knows that he will lose because of the appeals he knows that he will get the most money.

I remember reading his bio, and it bragged about cases won. Of course, it's entirely possible that he loses more than he wins. I have no clue how he gets paid if there's an appeal. In this case, I guess JB keeps him on retainer, so there's that.

• Like 1

He didn't take this on contingency.  He is getting paid by the hour.   Appeals especially a multi issue one like this takes A LOT OF HOURS.   Its not the 20 minute arguing time only he is paid for.  Its researching and writing the brief, then preparing to argue. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
47 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He didn't take this on contingency.  He is getting paid by the hour.   Appeals especially a multi issue one like this takes A LOT OF HOURS.   Its not the 20 minute arguing time only he is paid for.  Its researching and writing the brief, then preparing to argue. 

And his hourly rate for phone calls from Boob are probably double the normal rate.

• LOL 14
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

A post on FJ reminded me that today (still 3/3 on the left coast) is FF's 35th birthday. Can't believe that fucker is rapidly approaching middle age! 

Should we bake FF a cake with a file in it so he can saw his way out of prison? Because that's the only way he will get out of prison.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

A post on FJ reminded me that today (still 3/3 on the left coast) is FF's 35th birthday. Can't believe that fucker is rapidly approaching middle age! 

He will be rapidly approaching senior citzen status by the time he gets out.   YAAAAY.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Only 35?  He looked like he was at least 40 during his trial. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
13 hours ago, ChristmasCandy said:

Should we bake FF a cake with a file in it so he can saw his way out of prison? Because that's the only way he will get out of prison.

That would require him to actually do something physical.  He’s too lazy to file away the bars himself.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 15

On the tikkity tok historyinsixtie is doing a series on the wedding.  Barf.  My question is , we just saw Jim boob have to borrow a shirt from Gil Bates.   But we saw where the clothes were all hung for the wedding.  So what happened to his shirt ??

If I am understanding the situation correctly (and I may not be), Josh hasn't had any time added to his sentence. But, once he started prison/jail, he started earning credits for good/compliant behavior, allowing him to potentially serve only 85% of his sentence.

As of right now, he has lost at least some of those credits, meaning that now he will be serving 85% of his sentence plus ten days in jail.

Not that he's ever listened to me, but I would recommend that he spend those added ten days in one of the many vocational training programs offered at the prison. He's going to need those job skills.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, quarks said:

If I am understanding the situation correctly (and I may not be), Josh hasn't had any time added to his sentence. But, once he started prison/jail, he started earning credits for good/compliant behavior, allowing him to potentially serve only 85% of his sentence.

As of right now, he has lost at least some of those credits, meaning that now he will be serving 85% of his sentence plus ten days in jail.

Not that he's ever listened to me, but I would recommend that he spend those added ten days in one of the many vocational training programs offered at the prison. He's going to need those job skills.

But his listed  release date is 10 odd years from the time of his incarceration. His full sentence is 12 years. The revised release date added those ten days onto the 2032 release date. 

Am I missing something? It's quite possible. 😀

Point 1) Josh is in prison not jail.  Jail is local city or county.  State time is in prison and federal time is in prison.  Jail is usually time of one year and under.  

Point 2) Yes, the estimated or projected release time was the calculation of 85% of the sentence so supposing he followed all the rules for duration of the sentence.  Josh did get credit for his time in the county jail awaiting transfer.  So far he has lost ten days of the 15% reduction for good behavior.  That's with him being in prison for less than a year.  

Do we really think he can manage to behave for the remainder of his sentence?

In addition to the ten days, he's in the SHU with all of those restrictions and could have other things like a fine or loss of personal property because of the cell phone.  

• Like 13

I read somewhere that cell phones run around $1500 and have to be brought in by corrupt guards since all visitors are searched. Did Anna really give someone that kind of money in hopes of...what exactly? 

It just makes her seem all that much more deluded. 

• Like 8

If Josh really did end up with a cellphone, I wouldn't think any Duggar would have helped with that. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh has a secret bank account or credit card or two. He likely knows some sweet guy friends on the outside that would help him out for a little cash.

And who knows, maybe Miss Balls had something to do with it. Maybe she set him up, just for the story.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If Josh really did end up with a cellphone, I wouldn't think any Duggar would have helped with that.

I'm not so sure. Anna displayed defiant - even fierce - denial of the facts in her conduct during and after the trial. She may still believe that her JoshUa is innocent, and all that prison nonsense is just Satan and The World beating up on a good Christian man. Depending on her mindset, I could see her handing somebody the cash to set up her beloved with a cell phone so he could talk to her more often than the evil federal government would otherwise allow.  Not saying that she did it, not 100% sure it even happened. But given that the story got as far as The Sun (yeah, a low bar), the lack of denials from anywhere in Duggarland suggests that yes, Josh did that, and he did get that punishment. 

I could sort of see JB doing it as well. IMO he holds the federal government in contempt (as shown by his conduct on the witness stand in FF's case). He's probably heard tales of corruption in the federal prison system, including guards being bribed, "the inmates run the show," etc. He may have thought, hey, I can spare a little cash to make life easier for my son, so let's pay some eejit low-wage guard to get a phone in to him. What I think JB would NOT have understood, is the pecking order inside a prison. Sure, they could find a guard to pay off. But. In order to get away with that kind of sh*t, Josh would need a solid reputation inside, with the other inmates. If he didn't have that, someone would give him up.

I doubt that anyone explained to Josh the unwritten rules of life inside a prison, and I doubt that he would naturally conduct himself in a way that would earn trust from the others doing time in there. Like, you do NOT chat (especially not one-on-one) with the prison staff. You may just be talking about how the Dodgers' season is going but you're likely to be perceived as a snitch, currying favor by passing along information. I think that somewhere upthread I mentioned the advice offered by a man who served time for white collar crime and now advises people facing prison time, on how to navigate that. He's Justin Paperny, on YouTube as White Collar Advice. I don't remember all the deets, but he's clear that you need to walk very carefully and keep your mouth shut when you enter prison. Don't think our boy Josh is cut from that cloth. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 9

It wasn't just that Josh had a cellphone.   I think if it had been found in his cell during a search it would have been one thing.   Bad but maybe a corrupt guard could be bribed to overlook.   It's that dumb ass Josh was OPENLY using his phone.  No one can overlook that or downplay it.    Like Dude, at least LOOK like you are trying to follow the Rules.

What is going to keep getting Josh in trouble in prison is that he still hasn't figured out the Rules apply to him.   He is so used to doing whatever he wanted as the Chosen One that he doesn't get he can't do that anymore.   

They can't really add to his prison sentence without due process.   He can lose good time credits but he can't do more than the 12 years without another conviction.   However, he keeps flouting the prison rules that CAN lead to more charges.   So if Anna wants to whip up the baby factory again when he gets out, she needs to convince him to straighten up and fly right.   Or her eggs will be long past their use by date when he gets out.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It is possible to add a year to his sentence for having a cell phone.  Yes, the prison has to go through the process, but possessing a cell phone in prison is a federal crime.  

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 8
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It is possible to add a year to his sentence for having a cell phone.  Yes, the prison has to go through the process, but possessing a cell phone in prison is a federal crime.  

I  could see them not going to these lengths for a first infraction but they are most definitely going to be keeping track.  And we all know Josh is never in a million years going to follow the rules.  Sooner or later he'll screw up again.  And again.  

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Whatever the infraction, I think it's also possible that Josh and anyone else who may have been involved just figured that losing credits for good behavior wouldn't matter given the possibility that his conviction will be overturned. 

(Someone is paying for this appeals process and Josh is going along with it, so they presumably have more confidence that the appeals process will work in Josh's favor than I do. )

Or, this being Josh, he just didn't worry about any potential consequences - which matches his earlier behavior, making that the most likely explanation.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Maybe Josh doesn't really want to get out....he would then have to live according to the family's beliefs which we all know he does not abide by. Maybe he's just not that in to Anna and isn't too bothered to be away from her. More freedom in prison for him. Just a few thoughts.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
46 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Maybe Josh doesn't really want to get out....he would then have to live according to the family's beliefs which we all know he does not abide by. Maybe he's just not that in to Anna and isn't too bothered to be away from her. More freedom in prison for him. Just a few thoughts.

Honestly, that thought crossed my mind.  He has limited responsibilities.  No one pulling on him literally or figuratively, unless, well, it's prison.  If he gets "institutionalized" he might just coast along and serve his time and maybe for him it is easier.  Time will tell.

• Like 4