Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)
43 minutes ago, SMama said:

There’s a good probability of other children being there, so that is a big no for Smuggar.

That's what I figured. Even though Michael has no agemate uncles, he must have some friends, right? Eh, probably not. 😥 But yeah, kids in the other bays would still violate the court order.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I hate to even think about it, but I'll bet any "sexy-time" between those two lasts less than a minute.

Unfortunately, I suspect that with his tastes seeming to have strayed more and more to extremes of dominance and depravity, it may mean far longer and more unpleasant sessions before he gets there.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

10 years old.  Sad to think he will be married in 8 years.

With a dad on the sex offender list?  I feel like the M kids will be toxic in their circles.   Which is sad, cause it’s not their fault heir dad is a perv. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

With a dad on the sex offender list?  I feel like the M kids will be toxic in their circles.   Which is sad, cause it’s not their fault heir dad is a perv. 

Never underestimate the Cult's ability for self delusion.  Josh was framed.  Josh is a godly man.  There will be no stank on the M kids because the fundys are too afraid to call a spade a spade, and to admit they have plenty of them in their own houses.  That's how abuse flourishes in these groups.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

That's what I'm thinking the Duggar stock has gone down. Anna may be too worn out to force Michael to marry and I think Josh has always been checked out of the Dad role. JB doesn't have the hold on the family he used too. Jinger moved away and wears pants, Jill's gone her own way. Jessa's kids will probably be the prized grandkids but even so, JB and M don't seem to be into the grandkids much, at least not yet imo. JB's getting older and still has his own to attempt to marry off. Without TLC and with scrutiny from Josh... I see the Duggars being diminished in the cult. Wasn't there rumors the last Duggar wedding was rushed to get it done before Josh was charged? That says to me there will be judgement in their group and JB is already worried it'll effect the rest of the families standing. Josh has done testimonials of his past sins to church elders with had nothing to do with the law, so his behavior is known, I don't think 'Josh is being set up' is going to be easy to sell to anyone who already knew his previous confessions.  Any of the other kids would be a different story. 

Anna and Josh tried their hardest to be JB and M complete with "picking a letter" (as Anna once declared they had to do.) But they're the ones the media won't touch with a ten foot pole, unless it's Anna breaking free.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Wasn't there a break up?  One of the brothers was engaged or courting some out of state girl and she broke up with him.

I wonder if her family got wind of what was going to happen and they said goodbye.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Wasn't there a break up?  One of the brothers was engaged or courting some out of state girl and she broke up with him.

I wonder if her family got wind of what was going to happen and they said goodbye.

Which brother? A Duggar brother or a Keller brother?

The only Duggar brother we know had a break up was Josiah but that was after the first set of scandals.

(edited)
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Which brother? A Duggar brother or a Keller brother?

The only Duggar brother we know had a break up was Josiah but that was after the first set of scandals.

Dugger brother. I bet that’s the one I’m thinking of. Thank you!

Edited by Jeanne222

I think they want to marry off the girls at 18 (got to start birthing them babies!), but haven't most of the boys made it into their 20's?  Heck, if they are following Gothard's rules, aren't they supposed to be able to support a family before they wed?  (And I don't think an allowance or junk job from JB was quite what Gothard had in mind.)

• Love 3

I feel bad for the M & Ms, because of who their dad is and what their dad has done. As far as marriage, having a sex offender for a FIL is a hard choice even in the mainstream world and Josh, whether found guilty or not of these latest crimes, will always be a well(ish) known offender. I actually think the M & Ms will have more prospects in the Fundy world. 

Many children of high profile criminals change their last names and do their best to fade into society unknown and unnoticed. Anna is knee deep into Fundyism and still loves and supports Josh, so I don't think she'd support her kids in disowning their dad.

If Josh does 10 years in prison, Mack, Michael and Marcus will 21, 20 and 18 when Josh is released and Meredith will be 16. Even if the Duggars are old news by then, Josh's release will likely be picked up by the media and the entire Josh family will be plastered in the news.

Maybe there's hope for Mason, Maryella and the newest Mgirl. Mason and Maryella probably will forget their lives w/Josh and Mgirl will only know him through prison visits. It would be a little easier for them to walk away.

• Love 7
On 6/15/2021 at 4:20 PM, Gigi43 said:

What's with the syringes? Are they "flavor injectors " for whatever the food balls are? It looks like a Duggar attempt of a half assed pandemic themed party. 

But Happy Birthday to Michael. I feel really bad for the kids having to live in Josh's shit storms. 

At first glance I thought it was a skateboard drizzled with chocolate sauce. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

It's true and he's going to keep delaying it until he thinks the court will forget about it. 

Yes, it is true. God, I want this thing to move forward. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

This was easily predicted.  If the lawyer is going to earn his fees, then he has to have experts go over every piece of evidence and that isn't done in two weeks.  

Jim Bob is going to be writing a lot of checks.

that is one bright spot. 

6 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

So does this mean he has to stay with the Repers all that time?  

I would think so. Lucky them. Morons! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, Absolom said:

This was easily predicted.  If the lawyer is going to earn his fees, then he has to have experts go over every piece of evidence and that isn't done in two weeks.  

Yeah the article specifically says they're going to have their own expert go over each device, and it could take months. Jim Bob will croak when he gets the bill for all that. Buy used and save the difference! 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 12
  • Love 9

Can the Reber's eventually say they don't want Josh for that long and make him go somewhere else? 

Josh can't go to the TTH. Feb means they'd be stuck with Josh for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They wouldn't be able to have any minor family members over, probably would be obligated to host Anna/kids (with a newborn) or leave them alone in their house which doesn't sound like a sound idea. That's a long time to watch him. The longer he's under those restrictions, the more he may be tempted to break them. Or are they stuck?

• Useful 4
  • Love 12

Why would it matter if two Arkansas law enforcement agencies were involved in the investigation? And why would that need to be stipulated in the arrest warrant?

If the trial gets delayed I hope the Rebers nope out of the deal. Nobody should feel obligated to babysit sex pest as a favor to JB.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Why would it matter if two Arkansas law enforcement agencies were involved in the investigation? And why would that need to be stipulated in the arrest warrant?

I don't understand that, either.  It makes it sound like the involvement of the state agencies somehow contaminated the investigation. 

Needing time for a defense expert to examine the computer evidence seems like a normal reason for a continuance. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

Probably not for the defense expert getting paid by the hour but I'm expected to turn around cell phone cases in 2 weeks, even when I had 25 phones.  It should NOT take the expert months to go through a single computer that probably has a 500 GB hard drive.  Yes, she has to go to the LE office to do her work, but seriously, this is a delay tactic and a money grab.

• Useful 15
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Probably not for the defense expert getting paid by the hour but I'm expected to turn around cell phone cases in 2 weeks, even when I had 25 phones.  It should NOT take the expert months to go through a single computer that probably has a 500 GB hard drive.  Yes, she has to go to the LE office to do her work, but seriously, this is a delay tactic and a money grab.

The judge can still deny the request, or am I mistaken?

• Love 3

No, it shouldn't take until next year, but if they're asking why not ask for six months and then be happy with say three?  My daughter has to use experts and sometimes their time is booked a month or two out.  

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The judge can still deny the request, or am I mistaken?

Yes. I don't know if the judge will believe the "we need more time for discovery" argument. The second argument, though - that the lead defense attorney is dealing with other cases that were delayed because of Covid and are now scheduled for the fall - sounds credible to me. I'm aware of at least one federal civil trial that has been pushed back to January 2022 for similar reasons. That may well persuade the judge to delay the trial until February 2022.

Or, the judge might decide that the federal docket is already dealing with enough Covid-related delays/issues as it is - why add another? 

19 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Yes, she has to go to the LE office to do her work, but seriously, this is a delay tactic and a money grab.

And here I was, thinking that Josh was absolutely worthless - and yet, look how much money he's worth to his attorneys.

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
(edited)

My prediction....If the delay is granted, the Rebers will request release from Josh babysitting duties. Boob has probably already drawn up a list of the next unlucky likely minders. Maybe the judge will split the difference and grant a shorter delay with the trial getting underway in early November. It's a lot to ask of anybody to provide room and board for Pest for eight more months, and this stall tactic is just postponing the inevitable. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Useful 5
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

My prediction....If the delay is granted, the Rebers will request release from Josh babysitting duties. Boob has probably already drawn up a list of the next unlucky likely minders. Maybe the judge will split the difference and grant a shorter delay with the trial getting underway in early November. It's a lot to ask of anybody to provide room and board for Pest for eight more months and this stall tactic is just postponing the inevitable. v 

There is a timing element at play here. The defense said they were booked in court until February. 

I hope that if the judge grants this request the Rebers will say Enough! I'm sure Boob has a Rolodex full of godly friends who would love to house his wrongly accused son. 🙄

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
On 6/17/2021 at 1:11 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think they want to marry off the girls at 18 (got to start birthing them babies!), but haven't most of the boys made it into their 20's?  Heck, if they are following Gothard's rules, aren't they supposed to be able to support a family before they wed?  (And I don't think an allowance or junk job from JB was quite what Gothard had in mind.)

The only Duggar who married at 18 was Justin. (Although Michelle was 17 and JB was 19.)

Joy, Kendra, Lauren, Claire and Ben were 19. 

Josh and Anna were 20. 

Everyone else I didn't name was older when they married.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

It's true and he's going to keep delaying it until he thinks the court will forget about it. 

Yeah that's not going to happen.   They keep track of cases, the Federal Courts aren't his parents who are too lazy to pay attention.   

The request is going to be granted.   This is pretty standard.   I knew it wasn't going in July.  They never go on the first setting in big high profile cases.   Defense needs time to review the evidence and prepare their case.   The prosecution has already done that in the TWO YEARS since they started watching the lot.   Not giving the defense time to review the evidence is an automatic appeal issue.  6 months given the defense team's other cases and the chaos of the court's docket due to the Covid sounds pretty likely.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
13 hours ago, Namaste said:

Does anyone know if it is possible for the prosecution to use the time allowed by the continuance to lay more charges against Josh?

While anything is theoretically possible, it's about as likely as snow in July in Miami. [ETA: and I mean real snow - precipitation - not drugs which have sometimes been given that word as a nickname, lol.]

The US Attorney's Office would have carefully analyzed the evidence against Josh when it was deciding what charges to pursue against him. The current charges reflect what the prosecution believes the evidence supports, and these charges are in the form of a grand jury indictment. Which is an additional process between the prosecutor's analysis and the actual bringing of the criminal charges, involving more people (the grand jurors) looking at the case.

It's not like some prosecutor drew up some criminal charges and filed a case, and then if there's a delay s/he goes back to the office and says, "well, heck, let's look at this evidence again and see if we can add any more counts." In the immortal words of that old commercial, "That's not how this works" in federal prosecutions.

If Josh is found to have committed any other crimes, on other dates and in other circumstances, he can always be charged for those, but it would be in a different criminal case. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 6
  • Love 9

If Josh knows he's guilty, the last thing he wants is a speedy trial, and as others have mentioned lawyers like the billable hours. I'm guessing they will try to postpone the trial for as long as possible.

With that said, Josh is still Josh. He may think he'll get away with this and return home, so he may actually want to speed things up.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Absolom said:

No, it shouldn't take until next year, but if they're asking why not ask for six months and then be happy with say three?  My daughter has to use experts and sometimes their time is booked a month or two out.  

Agreed.  I've had continuances happen on both sides and once it was delayed because I had a 3 week vacation to Europe planned during the trial date.  I think 6 months is crazy but 3 months is acceptable.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

t's not like some prosecutor drew up some criminal charges and filed a case, and then if there's a delay s/he goes back to the office and says, "well, heck, let's look at this evidence again and see if we can add any more counts." In the immortal words of that old commercial, "That's not how this works" in federal prosecutions.

But that is what happened in the college admissions scandal.   They had the big raid where everyone got arrested (and Lori Loughlin got to fly back from Canada and turn herself in).   Then there was a round of plea deals.   Some took them.   Those who didn't got hit with more charges.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

But that is what happened in the college admissions scandal.   They had the big raid where everyone got arrested (and Lori Loughlin got to fly back from Canada and turn herself in).   Then there was a round of plea deals.   Some took them.   Those who didn't got hit with more charges.  

Were they hit with more charges or did they lose the opportunity to have some charges dropped?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5