Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Anna is that certain type of fundie woman who thinks that she gets Godly points for suffering. Sadly there are enough fundie women who truly believe that line of nonsense and admire Anna for suffering through all the indignities.

• Like 7
  • Sad 11

9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

And IMO Anna's just fine with it. She's proving herself to be a fundie Super-mom and Godly wife. I think she'll keep up that pace as long as she's physically capable of it. No laundry room breakdowns for Anna. She's fundie royalty and don't you forget it.

(BTW, I got some insight into what I think is Anna's world view when I read the book I Fired God by Jocelyn Zichterman. She was raised IFB and as a young wife and mother, busted her buns to excel at those roles. She and her husband later broke free. Obviously the details of IFB vs. Gothard will vary but they are both basically separatist patriarchal cults enmeshed in fundie Christian theology.)

Gothardism/IBLP was never intended to be it's own religion. It's a religious supplement to any version of Christianity you like. So the Duggars belong to both Gothardism/IBLP and they're IFB. I think most of Gothard's followers were evagelical and most seem to be IFB. 

This book sounds like a good resource. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

11 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think it's time Jessa cuts Spurge's mop top.  It used to be cute curls but lately it's looking like a rat's nest.

Not denying Spurge might need a haircut, but in this particular pic I think they were going for an "ugly" hairdo to match the "ugly sweater" theme. A few of the other kids are wearing weird wigs in some of the pictures, and I remember from last year's party pictures that even some of the kidults did some purposely odd/ ugly hair styling.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

Is it safe to admit here that I sometimes lure Mr. Portia up to the bedroom under the pretense of needing him to bust up a chiffarobe?

• Laugh 14

As long as everyone agrees to the post-chiffarobe sweet fellowshipping (with lotion, I assume) and you saved enough nickels to send the kids for ice cream, I say bust that chifforobe with impunity, good madam (or sir)!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 16

1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

And Jinger doesn’t cut it as an influencer in LA. 

Or as a blond, in my opinion. I think she is much prettier as a brunette.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:21 AM, ginger90 said:

Nice hi-res picture of the baby this time around!  Clearly someone heard my complaint about the prior blurry family photos, lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Oh my, look at Josie in that picture.

I will give Anna credit that at least her kids look clean and appropriate most of the time. That might change after a few more blessings. 

• Like 10

On 12/3/2019 at 6:21 AM, ginger90 said:

I see that Mullet managed to worm her way into the "Mommies with Baby Girls" pic... I'm sure she even arranged for Josie to coincidentally be right behind her. Her "ugly" sweater is better than anything else she ever wears...she could've won the contest with any of her green puff-sleeved blouses. And big ole dumb Bin is hanging out too.....bet he loves him some girl talk.

Since when are wigs and shower caps part of the ugly sweater stuff? At first I thought they were dressing up as Gramma Mary. It's essentially turned into a fundie Halloween party. Is Jessa wearing her birthin' dress?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 10

I don't see Josiah and Lauren and baby Bella.  I do hope that Josiah is not having to carry Lauren around the house as she recovers from exhausting all-night feeding sessions.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

On 12/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, drafan said:

I see that Mullet managed to worm her way into the "Mommies with Baby Girls" pic... I'm sure she even arranged for Josie to coincidentally be right behind her. Her "ugly" sweater is better than anything else she ever wears...she could've won the contest with any of her green puff-sleeved blouses. And big ole dumb Bin is hanging out too.....bet he loves him some girl talk.

I can't believe Mechelle isn't holding one of the babies.  I thought she is grandmother extroidinaire & can't get enough of them. You know Kellie Bates would be balancing 2 grandbabies on her lap.  

• Like 12
  • Laugh 3

5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't believe Mechelle isn't holding one of the babies.  I thought she is grandmother extroidinaire & can't get enough of them. You know Kellie Bates would be balancing 2 grandbabies on her lap.  

Maybe her missing back muscle was acting up?

• Laugh 23

I don't mind the name Maryella because they are just emphasising that she's named for Mary.  Spelling doesn't matter that much.

Also, Josh looks like Dom Deloise.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

Also, Josh looks like Dom Deloise.

Josh wishes he was as good-looking at Dom DeLuise.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 22

On 12/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, ginger90 said:

Jessa in the wig reminds me of Liv Ullmann somehow, but Liv Ullmann never had hair like that.
Kendra reminds me of a cube. 

4 hours ago, Portia said:

Josh wishes he was as good-looking at Dom DeLuise.

Dom DeLuise was not actually bad looking at all. And at least a couple of his sons (I get them mixed up), who resembled him very much, were downright hot back in the day. I haven't seen them in anything in years, so can't speak to how they aged.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

AFter the Duggars meet up, admire each other's ugly sweaters and take a few pictures, what do they do? Sit on the couch? Talk about CHRISTmas? Take pee stick inventories?

Also, when a Fundy hangs with family is it still fellowshipping?  

How many words/phrases beyond, season of life, surreal, blessings, walk through, trials, righteously fulfilled, big pregnant, train up, servant's heart, defrauding, sweet friend, God's timing, obedient, do you all think they actually say when they're together?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 15
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm going with YES to your question.   They never say they just get together with  or hang out with anyone, family included. To them it's  always "Fellowshipping" no matter who it is or what it involves.

Most of us would probably say we went or enjoyed Christmas caroling with friends.  The Duggars would say they went caroling & fellowshipped with friends or they fellowshipped with friends by going caroling. 

The Maxwells use "Fellowshipping" alot as well & most of their get togethers involve just their large family.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

AFter the Duggars meet up, admire each other's ugly sweaters and take a few pictures, what do they do? Sit on the couch? Talk about CHRISTmas? Take pee stick inventories?

How many words/phrases beyond, season of life, surreal, blessings, walk through, trials, righteously fulfilled, big pregnant, train up, servant's heart, defrauding, sweet friend, God's timing, obedient, do you all think they actually say when they're together?

They also praise Michelle and tator tot casserole.

• Laugh 4

3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

They also praise Michelle and tator tot casserole.

A recipe for Crock Pot Tator Tot Casserole was on my Facebook feed this morning and all I could think about was Michelle having the girls make 6-7 batches for Sunday dinner.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Michelle was there? Somehow this makes no sense to me.

It makes total sense to me.

1. Josh is her forever favorite child, followed by Miracle Josie.
  2. Anna was the Prince's chosen Princess, and has been loyal, quiet, and faithful during all Josh's fall from grace, etc.
  3. Meech would move heaven and earth to get her beloved Crown Prince Josh back on teevee. And keep her own face there too.

So if there's a photo opp to showcase the marvelous godly happy little Prince Duggar family? You can bet the rent that Meech will be there to be sure there's the Official Duggar Family stamp of approval. "See? These are Duggar kids. Disgrace? What disgrace? Nonsense! Satan just tried to mess with us but we're okay now! Just another happy bunch of cute Duggars who should be on your teevee as often as possible!"

• Like 18
  • Laugh 1

15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think they also throw a lot of mean, catty barbs at each other under the guise of "good natured" teasing and have a grand time trashing whoever didn't show up.

• Like 16

The Duggars believe in the sins of the father abomination. Then that means the M kids will forever carry Volderjosh’s plethora of sins? I think it’s abhorrent just to contemplate such a thing. But the Duggars are such paragons of virtue and no way would they deviate from their faith just because the golden 💩 got caught. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 12/6/2019 at 4:15 AM, Barb23 said:

I have never once thought that Kelly Bates is any more into her children and grandchildren, or a better mother, than Michelle Duggar. The Bateses are just Duggars in more aesthetic packaging. 

• Like 21

4 hours ago, SMama said:

The Duggars believe in the sins of the father abomination. Then that means the M kids will forever carry Volderjosh’s plethora of sins? I think it’s abhorrent just to contemplate such a thing. But the Duggars are such paragons of virtue and no way would they deviate from their faith just because the golden 💩 got caught. 

No, that doesn’t count because Josh repented and Jesus washed his sins away. He’s as innocent as a newborn lamb now. Plus, it wasn’t really his fault because Satan set a trap for him. The “sins of the father” thing only applies to non-believers like atheists and Catholics.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

No, that doesn’t count because Josh repented and Jesus washed his sins away. He’s as innocent as a newborn lamb now. Plus, it wasn’t really his fault because Satan set a trap for him. The “sins of the father” thing only applies to non-believers like atheists and Catholics.

And adopted kids, apparently. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

6 hours ago, Heathen said:

I have never once thought that Kelly Bates is any more into her children and grandchildren, or a better mother, than Michelle Duggar. The Bateses are just Duggars in more aesthetic packaging. 

I actually think the Bates kids and parents have a more “real” relationship. The kids know each other, hang out without being at their compound and regularly visit each other. Kelli also seems to know more about her kids and their “servants hearts”. 

The beliefs are the same and the package is nicer, I think it’s because they are better looking and have real relationships.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

The beliefs are the same and the package is nicer, I think it’s because they are better looking and have real relationships.

not sure the relationships are any more real, but the Bates kids' interactions with each other seem so much less awkward than that of the duggar kids.

• Like 12

Having an oldest son who is a child molester will make family interactions more awkward. I think the Bates family appears to enjoy each other's company more because they don't have that hanging over all of their family interactions.

Edited by irisheyes
  • Like 22
  • Useful 2

There's a saying "You're only as sick as your secrets." I think the molestation was worse than admitted and that secret has poisoned relationships for the older Duggars, especially with each other. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Nysha said:

There's a saying "You're only as sick as your secrets." I think the molestation was worse than admitted and that secret has poisoned relationships for the older Duggars, especially with each other. 

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of guilt and resentment among the older kids about who knew what and who did or didn't tell, even if it is just internal guilt and anger directed at themselves. And that's a shame, really, since the only person who is at fault is Josh (and Jim Bob and Michelle for not protecting their other children.)

I could be mistaken, but didn't it come out that Jill is the one who told on Josh about him molesting one of the other siblings? I know they claimed that Josh confessed on his own, but I don't buy that for a minute. 

• Like 18

Yes, Zella. There seems to be a bit of confusion about the Josh discovery. One time it was said that Josh, HIMSELF, came to his parents a confessed...THEN another version was that Jill walked in on him and a victim and ran to tell their parents. Quite different versions. I believe he was discovered...just like the Ashley Madison thing. He was discovered...not confessed.

• Like 22

#bananacurls

baby isn’t in pink and no giant head bow . I like it. Also also all the kids seem actually happy and clean. Unlike the Rod kids who look half starved and terrified and dirty. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 1