Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

On 11/30/2019 at 12:48 AM, Temperance said:

There are a lot of M- names Anna hasn't used yet.

Margaret, Madeline/Madelyn/Madeleine. Molly, Marie, Maria, Melanie, Melissa, Melinda, Martha, Maisie, Marcella, Magnolia, Mia, Mila, Miranda, Miriam, Matilda, Morwenna, Macy, Mabel, Marilyn, Marnie, Maura, Meghan/Megan, etc. 

I know tastes varies and different names appeal to different. I'd probably like the name Maryella if wasn't so similar to other family members' names. I think probably the name is to court favor with both the Duggars (particularly JB) and the public (They named their baby after Grandma Mary! How sweet!) I don't know; the Duggars are such public figures I get the feeling that plays a part when they pick names. Anna seems to dream of getting her family back more on the show (not likely Josh will comeback). Hopefully they just really like the name as well. 

I think JB will always take care of Anna and her kids, because they're his grandchildren and it would look bad if they didn't have a roof over their heads, etc. 

The bolded will be the next 3 girls.  Slightly different pronunciation and all that.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
On 11/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Can anyone identify where they are sitting.  Is that the faux-kitchen/warehouse on the TTH property?

The floor and wall color look similar to the episode when Abbie looked at wedding dresses. I believe the Duggars said it was the guesthouse during the episode.

10886366-6800117-image-a-33_155240452596

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I am completely exhausted just thinking about how Anna had to wrangle her five kids into ugly, itchy sweaters, make them all presentable, feed and change her newborn, do her own hair and makeup and assemble her face into something resembling happiness, and get everyone out the door while Josh sat on the couch eating from the casserole dish that Anna made to bring to the party.  She made her bed and Josh is in it, but at five days post-partum, she's still recovering.  I can't believe she had to go to some stupid photo-op sweater party where her tiny baby was likely passed around by 75+ people, none of whom washed their hands first.  It's just a gross situation all around.

And IMO Anna's just fine with it. She's proving herself to be a fundie Super-mom and Godly wife. I think she'll keep up that pace as long as she's physically capable of it. No laundry room breakdowns for Anna. She's fundie royalty and don't you forget it.

(BTW, I got some insight into what I think is Anna's world view when I read the book I Fired God by Jocelyn Zichterman. She was raised IFB and as a young wife and mother, busted her buns to excel at those roles. She and her husband later broke free. Obviously the details of IFB vs. Gothard will vary but they are both basically separatist patriarchal cults enmeshed in fundie Christian theology.)

• Useful 6
  • Love 18
21 hours ago, Natalie68 said:
On 11/30/2019 at 12:48 AM, Temperance said:

Madeline/Madelyn/Madeleine

The bolded will be the next 3 girls.  Slightly different pronunciation and all that.  

Yep, and if Anna is lucky little MadeLyne, MadaLynne, and MadiLayne will be identical triplets. That's sure to get her & Joshy back on TV.

Edited by Nysha
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I notice in the fourth photo that Meeechelle's sporting a shirt bearing the logo of the family business. 

Yeah, Fleece is definitely Boob’s business. Are these parties on the TV show or is this just more of their forcing everyone except the Dullards to get together? In this case I think Jill should be happy she doesn’t attend.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

So no Jill & Dreck?  Figures.  Very telling.

I think it's time Jessa cuts Spurge's mop top.  It used to be cute curls but lately it's looking like a rat's nest.

He must take after his grandmother!

• LOL 6
On 11/28/2019 at 5:48 AM, BetyBee said:

What a lovely tribute to Grandma Mary and Janarella 😂

Seriously, Mary is a lovely name and can be easily paired with middle names like Ann (would have been lovely) or Beth, Catherine - even Lou. And they already call Meredith "Merry" - for Pete's sake! What is wrong with these people?

I'm sure Mary Ann, Mary Catherine, Mary Beth, etc (hyphenated or as two separate words) were all to Catholic-sounding for them. They don't want Ben, Derrick, or Jeremy to mistake the new baby for a heathen Catholic that needs to be converted to "real" (ie: their particular legalistic Protestant brand of KJV Bible thumping) Christianity.  (Or, gods forbid, a stranger ever make the mistake that they are Catholic.)

And Mariella or Mariela sounded too, you know, ethnic (and Italian/Spanish names might also confuse baby's Catholic-conversion-crusader uncles into thinking baby is Catholic). Lauren is half-Hispanic, but she & Josiah knew if they wanted to use a Spanish name, it would have to be a middle name and not a first name.  They can't have anything too ethnic or too Catholic sounding paired with the name Duggar. 

Maryella sounds like a fine name (except I wouldn't choose it if I had a Meredith, but similar sounding names among siblings doesn't bug the Duggars) but the spelling gets on my nerves when I see it - I'm co-signing with those of y'all who've said it would be much better spelled Mariela/Mariella or Mary Ella/Mary-Ella (although perhaps using two names is a little too close to Catholic sounding, thus the squishing together of the two names into one).  I guess Maryella should just be glad her name isn't spelled too youneekly like Mackynzie.  But of course Anna (and Smugs, if he even cares), had to be extra and couldn't just name the poor child Mary as her first name - Mary Ella Duggar or Mary Hope Duggar and call her only by her first name (Mary).  They could always use Ella or Hope as a middle name for the next girl, since these fools show no signs of slowing down the baby train.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 13

Anna is that certain type of fundie woman who thinks that she gets Godly points for suffering. Sadly there are enough fundie women who truly believe that line of nonsense and admire Anna for suffering through all the indignities.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

And IMO Anna's just fine with it. She's proving herself to be a fundie Super-mom and Godly wife. I think she'll keep up that pace as long as she's physically capable of it. No laundry room breakdowns for Anna. She's fundie royalty and don't you forget it.

(BTW, I got some insight into what I think is Anna's world view when I read the book I Fired God by Jocelyn Zichterman. She was raised IFB and as a young wife and mother, busted her buns to excel at those roles. She and her husband later broke free. Obviously the details of IFB vs. Gothard will vary but they are both basically separatist patriarchal cults enmeshed in fundie Christian theology.)

Gothardism/IBLP was never intended to be it's own religion. It's a religious supplement to any version of Christianity you like. So the Duggars belong to both Gothardism/IBLP and they're IFB. I think most of Gothard's followers were evagelical and most seem to be IFB. 

This book sounds like a good resource. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think it's time Jessa cuts Spurge's mop top.  It used to be cute curls but lately it's looking like a rat's nest.

Not denying Spurge might need a haircut, but in this particular pic I think they were going for an "ugly" hairdo to match the "ugly sweater" theme. A few of the other kids are wearing weird wigs in some of the pictures, and I remember from last year's party pictures that even some of the kidults did some purposely odd/ ugly hair styling.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

As long as everyone agrees to the post-chiffarobe sweet fellowshipping (with lotion, I assume) and you saved enough nickels to send the kids for ice cream, I say bust that chifforobe with impunity, good madam (or sir)!

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Oh my, look at Josie in that picture.

I will give Anna credit that at least her kids look clean and appropriate most of the time. That might change after a few more blessings. 

• Love 10
On 12/3/2019 at 6:21 AM, ginger90 said:

I see that Mullet managed to worm her way into the "Mommies with Baby Girls" pic... I'm sure she even arranged for Josie to coincidentally be right behind her. Her "ugly" sweater is better than anything else she ever wears...she could've won the contest with any of her green puff-sleeved blouses. And big ole dumb Bin is hanging out too.....bet he loves him some girl talk.

Since when are wigs and shower caps part of the ugly sweater stuff? At first I thought they were dressing up as Gramma Mary. It's essentially turned into a fundie Halloween party. Is Jessa wearing her birthin' dress?

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 12/4/2019 at 6:58 PM, drafan said:

I see that Mullet managed to worm her way into the "Mommies with Baby Girls" pic... I'm sure she even arranged for Josie to coincidentally be right behind her. Her "ugly" sweater is better than anything else she ever wears...she could've won the contest with any of her green puff-sleeved blouses. And big ole dumb Bin is hanging out too.....bet he loves him some girl talk.

I can't believe Mechelle isn't holding one of the babies.  I thought she is grandmother extroidinaire & can't get enough of them. You know Kellie Bates would be balancing 2 grandbabies on her lap.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I can't believe Mechelle isn't holding one of the babies.  I thought she is grandmother extroidinaire & can't get enough of them. You know Kellie Bates would be balancing 2 grandbabies on her lap.  

Maybe her missing back muscle was acting up?

• LOL 23
4 hours ago, Portia said:

Josh wishes he was as good-looking at Dom DeLuise.

Dom DeLuise was not actually bad looking at all. And at least a couple of his sons (I get them mixed up), who resembled him very much, were downright hot back in the day. I haven't seen them in anything in years, so can't speak to how they aged.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

AFter the Duggars meet up, admire each other's ugly sweaters and take a few pictures, what do they do? Sit on the couch? Talk about CHRISTmas? Take pee stick inventories?

Also, when a Fundy hangs with family is it still fellowshipping?  

How many words/phrases beyond, season of life, surreal, blessings, walk through, trials, righteously fulfilled, big pregnant, train up, servant's heart, defrauding, sweet friend, God's timing, obedient, do you all think they actually say when they're together?

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm going with YES to your question.   They never say they just get together with  or hang out with anyone, family included. To them it's  always "Fellowshipping" no matter who it is or what it involves.

Most of us would probably say we went or enjoyed Christmas caroling with friends.  The Duggars would say they went caroling & fellowshipped with friends or they fellowshipped with friends by going caroling. 

The Maxwells use "Fellowshipping" alot as well & most of their get togethers involve just their large family.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

AFter the Duggars meet up, admire each other's ugly sweaters and take a few pictures, what do they do? Sit on the couch? Talk about CHRISTmas? Take pee stick inventories?

How many words/phrases beyond, season of life, surreal, blessings, walk through, trials, righteously fulfilled, big pregnant, train up, servant's heart, defrauding, sweet friend, God's timing, obedient, do you all think they actually say when they're together?

They also praise Michelle and tator tot casserole.

• LOL 4