Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Don't they call Meredith "Dithy?" Sure, that name won't last after she's 10, but for now, they're okay.

eta: Did Anna really say she wasn't going to use Mary? If she did, I missed it!

It was in the IG comments under one post. Said it was too close to Meredith. 

That being said if they are pronouncing it like Mariella rather than Mary-Ella, sure why not. Knowing the Duggars they are saying Mary-Ella and planning on calling her Ella. 

I would say Anna is kicking herself for choosing the M theme but nah. She enjoys the attention. 

• Love 9

Given she's lost a child twice in the last few months, she should really stop having babies. She's getting overwhelmed and I don't think she's going to get the help that Michelle did from the church ladies. Although, Mackenzie (wrong spelling!) is old enough to have Meredith and Mason for her buddies while Michael takes over Marcus's care.

• Love 4

There are a lot of M- names Anna hasn't used yet.

Margaret, Madeline/Madelyn/Madeleine. Molly, Marie, Maria, Melanie, Melissa, Melinda, Martha, Maisie, Marcella, Magnolia, Mia, Mila, Miranda, Miriam, Matilda, Morwenna, Macy, Mabel, Marilyn, Marnie, Maura, Meghan/Megan, etc. 

I know tastes varies and different names appeal to different. I'd probably like the name Maryella if wasn't so similar to other family members' names. I think probably the name is to court favor with both the Duggars (particularly JB) and the public (They named their baby after Grandma Mary! How sweet!) I don't know; the Duggars are such public figures I get the feeling that plays a part when they pick names. Anna seems to dream of getting her family back more on the show (not likely Josh will comeback). Hopefully they just really like the name as well. 

I think JB will always take care of Anna and her kids, because they're his grandchildren and it would look bad if they didn't have a roof over their heads, etc. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

There are a lot of M- names Anna hasn't used yet.

Margaret, Madeline/Madelyn/Madeleine. Molly, Marie, Maria, Melanie, Melissa, Melinda, Martha, Maisie, Marcella, Magnolia, Mia, Mila, Miranda, Miriam, Matilda, Morwenna, Macy, Mabel, Marilyn, Marnie, Maura, Meghan/Megan, etc. 

You forgot "Madison".

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
On 11/29/2019 at 1:11 PM, ginger90 said:

Anna looks wiped out in that picture,  understandably.  I read somewhere that it was a quick labor and delivery (I guess things speed up when it's #6.)  I can't imagine having to sit there while they read through that long chain of blessings.   Hope she had a thick cushion to sit on.  

• Love 9

At least Anna is reasonably literate and keeps the emojis and hashtags to a minimum. I hope she has the sense to stop the baby production line though. If Josh thinks he's getting back on TV because he has a pile of kids, he's nuts. That train left the station a long time ago. 

That room looks like something in a local restaurant where the portions are big and and the prices are low. It's a far cry from the glamorous life in DC. Anna may not care, but I bet Josh does. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I am baffled by her assertion that naming her daughter Mary would be replacing Grandma Mary.

Don't you name children after someone to honor the namesake rather than replace them? I get concerns about confusion over same names/child having own identity when naming after someone but does anyone actually feel like the person is being replaced? 

I think it’s different when someone has passed while someone is pregnant with their future namesake. The grief is still fresh, and some people in the family may be looking to fill the void that that person left, which can be a lot of pressure on the namesake. I’ve heard stories of family members being mad at women for being pregnant with the wrong gender after a loved one has passed because they were supposed to carry on that legacy. Maryella benefits from being part of a large crop of great grandchildren all born around the same time though. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 11/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, Heathen said:

My first thought was, will she unjustly accuse Tom Robinson. 

The name wouldn't be so bad if it were broken into two names. Mary Ella is meh. Mariella is okay. Maryella is bad. 

You mean the Tom who was helping with the chifferobe?

My hairdresser’s baby is Marielle.  I always that that was pretty. 

All of the Smuggar kids look like Pa Keller. Even the girls.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I know I’m late to the party, but my theory about the visit to the car yard by Homeland Security is that the car yard was an unwitting recipient of chop shop cars or something. The lack of any real investigation of any Duggar suggests they are not persons of interest. And Anna deleting pictures of the girl and turning comments off is understandable considering how much online abuse they would’ve been receiving. 

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

I know I’m late to the party, but my theory about the visit to the car yard by Homeland Security is that the car yard was an unwitting recipient of chop shop cars or something. The lack of any real investigation of any Duggar suggests they are not persons of interest. And Anna deleting pictures of the girl and turning comments off is understandable considering how much online abuse they would’ve been receiving. 

That's what I think too. They might have been scammed by someone and the cars have been taken away as evidence (or something like that). They might be victim of their own naivety.  Or they neglected to check if things were all ok. That would explain Jim Bob being mad at Josh (if that's true). They also could've lost money because of this.  

Edited by Future Cat Lady
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, zenme said:

You mean the Tom who was helping with the chifferobe?

My hairdresser’s baby is Marielle.  I always that that was pretty. 

All of the Smuggar kids look like Pa Keller. Even the girls.

I think the reference was to Tom Robinson, the character falsely accused of rape by a woman named Mayella in To Kill a Mockingbird.

If you're wondering why I knew that, maybe the fact that I named my new puppy Scout would be a clue.

• Love 24
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think the reference was to Tom Robinson, the character falsely accused of rape by a woman named Mayella in To Kill a Mockingbird.

If you're wondering why I knew that, maybe the fact that I named my new puppy Scout would be a clue.

The reference is to Tom Robinson of TKaM. Mayella Ewell lured him into her cabin by offering him a nickel for breaking up a chifforobe. 

Three years ago, I named a trio of kittens I trapped (they went to another foster) Jem Finch, Scout Finch, and Dill Harris. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

The reference is to Tom Robinson of TKaM. Mayella Ewell lured him into her cabin by offering him a nickel for breaking up a chifforobe. 

Three years ago, I named a trio of kittens I trapped (they went to another foster) Jem Finch, Scout Finch, and Dill Harris. 

Love it! I might personally have gone with something like Zaphod, Zarniwoop, and Slartibartfast, but yours could be a close second! LOL

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

They might have been scammed by someone and the cars have been taken away as evidence (or something like that). They might be victim of their own naivety.  Or they neglected to check if things were all ok.

If that is what it's all about, I think JBoob knew exactly what was happening. He's as shady as they come.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I know I’m late to the party, but my theory about the visit to the car yard by Homeland Security is that the car yard was an unwitting recipient of chop shop cars or something. The lack of any real investigation of any Duggar suggests they are not persons of interest. 

How do we know they're not really being investigated?

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

That's what I think too. They might have been scammed by someone and the cars have been taken away as evidence (or something like that). They might be victim of their own naivety.  Or they neglected to check if things were all ok. That would explain Jim Bob being mad at Josh (if that's true). They also could've lost money because of this.  

They could have gotten caught up in some kind of widespread criminal operation. But I don't buy "naivety" in the context of Duggars buying used cars. JB has been a car dealer all his working life and I think his dad was in the business before him. He's such a control freak I can't see him letting one of his sons make hinky deals out of naivety although I suppose it might happen. More "stupidity" and "greed" than "naiveity."  I'm in this camp:

5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

If that is what it's all about, I think JBoob knew exactly what was happening. He's as shady as they come.

Yep. I think it was @Zella who has a family background in NW Arkansas, and mentioned that someone (her dad?) always said that you should never get between Jim Bob Duggar and a dollar.

Over the last few years, at least once on SM, we saw JB and a few of the Howlers (or whatever we call them now they're adults), out of state and heading home, having bought several vehicles wholesale on their trip. I think maybe they visited the Kellers or Bateses or some such fundie friends, along the way. I think that's how the Duggar used car biz works, no matter which one of them may technically own or operate a specific used car lot.

13 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

How do we know that they are being investgated?

The truth is that we know nothing besides the visit from Homeland security. The rest is all speculation.

^^That is also true. It's all gone very quiet and we may never hear another peep about it. I have to say, the idea of JB sweating out a federal investigation does not fill my cold old heart with sadness. Heh.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

How do we know that they are being investgated?

The truth is that we know nothing besides the visit from Homeland security. The rest is all speculation.

Personally, I think a visit from Homeland Security, complete with warrant and apparent seizure of property is fairly convincing evidence that some aspect of the Duggar family's undertakings is being investigated.  Maybe they are not the subjects of the investigation, but, if that were the case, I would expect HS would've said so when they confirmed the raid.

As far as the Duggars perhaps receiving stolen or otherwise criminally altered vehicles without their knowledge; that seems a lot less likely than that they themselves are suspected of criminal activity. Presuming their activities do not present imminent risk of harm to anyone, the feds are going to take their time and build a solid case before anyone gets arrested.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Personally, I think a visit from Homeland Security, complete with warrant and apparent seizure of property is fairly convincing evidence that some aspect of the Duggar family's undertakings is being investigated.  Maybe they are not the subjects of the investigation, but, if that were the case, I would expect HS would've said so when they confirmed the raid.

As far as the Duggars perhaps receiving stolen or otherwise criminally altered vehicles without their knowledge; that seems a lot less likely than that they themselves are suspected of criminal activity. Presuming their activities do not present imminent risk of harm to anyone, the feds are going to take their time and build a solid case before anyone gets arrested.

As far as I know, all that’s been confirmed by Homeland Security is that they visited the car yard and spoke to people. No confirmation of warrants, raids or seizures. It’s also highly likely law enforcement would enforce a search warrant on a target’s residence and business simultaneously, raiding just the business alerts the target they’re being investigated and gives them an opportunity to destroy evidence kept at home. I doubt all the car yard’s business records are kept onsite in that small hut.

• Love 4

It would be interesting to know where the car lot's inventory went.  Did the feds take the cars or have the Duggs driven them to a hidden location?    

I wonder how it works if the Feds seized the cars.  The car lot is the Duggs livelihood (or at least this lot is Smugs livelihood.) If most of the inventory was seized, then that means the Duggs had to put out a lot of bucks to replenish their inventory. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

As far as I know, all that’s been confirmed by Homeland Security is that they visited the car yard and spoke to people. No confirmation of warrants, raids or seizures.

Correct. But for whatever reason, the car lot empty and closed.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

It would be interesting to know where the car lot's inventory went.  Did the feds take the cars or have the Duggs driven them to a hidden location?    

I wonder how it works if the Feds seized the cars.  The car lot is the Duggs livelihood (or at least this lot is Smugs livelihood.) If most of the inventory was seized, then that means the Duggs had to put out a lot of bucks to replenish their inventory. 

Isn't the car lot in question the one that is now permanently closed?

Personally, I think that all of the kids except Jinger and Jill are dependent upon JB for their income and the car lots, while ostensibly their livelihood,  were not necessarily profitable and Smugs income from Daddy isn't based on the car lot income.

• Love 16