Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Molestation would be a state issue, but I think posting images on the internet would be federal.  Please God don't let that be happening.

This is fascinating but its a weird rumor to come out of the blue.

• Like 11

Oh, it's definitely child labor. Mack already has a ton of same-aged aunts to play with over at the TTH. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

I don't see it as trafficking.  I see it as Anna has too many children to take care of and she found a "mother's helper".  That is usually a tween girl who comes and distracts children while the mom can do chores or cook dinner.  I've never heard of a "live-in" at that age.  Very odd, but not necessarily criminal.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

14 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:
14 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

So Emily's father Will was the co-founder of Courageous Men of the Word with Dwain Swanson. 

http://courageousmenoftheword.com/

Nice to know that irony is not dead, though, right? argh. 

2 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

I don't see it as trafficking.  I see it as Anna has too many children to take care of and she found a "mother's helper".  That is usually a tween girl who comes and distracts children while the mom can do chores or cook dinner.  I've never heard of a "live-in" at that age.  Very odd, but not necessarily criminal.  

Of course it used to happen all the time....for centuries....prior to 1910 or so ....

Good lord. 

Obviously this is why we need the patriarchy keeping the wimmins and gurlz in their place. Somebody has to take care of all those blessings. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

It's criminal if something happened to Emily. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Bewitched said:

Transporting a person, a child at that, to a situation where they work for you, with no means of escape, and no control over anything is human trafficking. It takes many forms, but is still exploitation. Some sites are saying it was only financial exploitation of a minor. I hope that’s true.

• Like 20
  • Sad 2

Anna clearly didn't have enough daughters in a row to be sister-moms and the Duggars weren't willing to lend out the aunts quite yet. 

Remember that the J'Slaves and Joy were flying to help Anna out quite often while Josh was in DC. And that was when Anna only had 3. I imagine Anna got a wee bit too used to "help" and someone with similar beliefs was willing to farm out their child. For whatever reasons. It seems strange a fundie family would give up the only daughter and at such a young age too.

• Like 5
  • Sad 8

Agreed with everyone noting that molestation on its own is not federal, so if the FBI came to visit, something much worse happened. For the sake of any potential victims, I really hope whatever it was was financial.

Also agreed with whomever noted that an FBI raid is not subtle. My dad still talks about when the FBI came to Huntsville, AR, back in the 90s. (This is Madison County, where the Forsyths live.) He said there were black SUVs and stern-looking dudes in suits swarming the place, and they didn't care who saw them and they definitely took their time. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I do wonder if FBI raids in the SM age aren’t handled differently now...any big blatant effort is likely to end up on SM and be a risk for a potential lawsuit?

10 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It seems strange a fundie family would give up the only daughter and at such a young age too.

Suspicious in the extreme, I’d say. 

3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

hese people are truly vile. Every one of them. 

Amen. 

I do wonder if FBI raids in the SM age aren’t handled differently now...any big blatant effort is likely to end up on SM and be a risk for a potential lawsuit?

FWIW the FBI can investigate without an actual ‘raid’.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I do wonder if FBI raids in the SM age aren’t handled differently now...any big blatant effort is likely to end up on SM and be a risk for a potential lawsuit?

The raid I talked about happened less than three years ago. If a raid happens, the person/corporation has been watched and investigated for a while and the FBI has more than enough to nail them. The raid is normally the final “gotcha” to make their case. Make no mistake- if the feds come and raid your home, it’s about 99% certain that you’re going to prison. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 5

7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Nice to think that a super-godly homeschooling family is a-ok with handing one of its pre-teen children off to work at another homeschool, basically. 

These people are truly vile. Every one of them. 

Not to mention the fact that she got send to live with a guy who molested his younger sisters.

• Like 8
  • Sad 11

2 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

The raid I talked about happened less than three years ago. If a raid happens, the person/corporation has been watched and investigated for a while and the FBI has more than enough to nail them. The raid is normally the final “gotcha” to make their case. Make no mistake- if the feds come and raid your home, it’s about 99% certain that you’re going to prison. 

Yeah I've read federal cases are usually pretty open and shut, and that's why they have such a high success rate in court. They don't waste time on arresting you and charging you unless they know they have a lot of evidence against you. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 5

9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm beyond mind-boggled. Even if this FBI raid is rumor, who the hell sends their 11 year-old daughter to live in the home of a known child molester? Jesus Christ, what is wrong with these people? 

Apparently a "Courageous Man of the Word" does, according to reports here. Since her father is nutso Dwain S's partner. 

Very courageous of him, farming out young children to take the strain off his family and help support somebody else's, isn't it? 

School? What's that? She's training to be a meek mother of multitudes, I suppose. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Sad 22

4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Apparently a "Courageous Man of the Word" does, according to reports here. 

Very courageous of him, isn't it? 

Very ballsy, anyway.

I’m reminded of some Arkansas state rep who, a few years ago, basically adopted and then ‘rehomed’ a little girl to a new family after having her awhile. I can’t remember the name but it reeked of trafficking. I believe the Duggars supported him politically, too.

edit Justin Harris

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Very ballsy, anyway.

I’m reminded of some Arkansas state rep who, a few years ago, basically adopted and then ‘rehomed’ a little girl to a new family after having her awhile. I can’t remember the name but it reeked of trafficking. I believe the Duggars supported him politically, too.

edit Justin Harris

Yes, that was a huge scandal--I remember that!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She's a "helper."

Sad. She should be in school not being used as slave labor and possible sex toy for that bastard. WTF is wrong with these people??

• Like 16
  • Sad 3

45 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

So Emily's father Will was the co-founder of Courageous Men of the Word with Dwain Swanson. 

http://courageousmenoftheword.com/

His wife Angela is Michelle's cousin. 

As @Sew Sumi said she was a "helper". She's been with the Smuggars for over a year now. 

Also makes you realize how small these circles really are when Lauren's dad is hanging out with Meech's cousins. 

No, Will is Michelle's nephew.  I've posted this before. Will (Emily's father) is the son of Michelle's sister Pamela. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Just now, Zella said:

Yes, that was a huge scandal--I remember that!

Thank God I’m not the only one. I’m pretty sure I read about it on this forum. It is getting off topic so I will not say more, only that this kind of thing is rare, but also happens more than you would expect and is devastating. 

I’m really hoping Jim Bob just used car lots for money laundering, or tried to rip off the Bahamas for $20,000 worth of fuel. That would be bad enough. 

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Not likely.  Illinois politicians are sometimes the subject of FBI raids ( political corruption).  They dont hide their presence at all. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Temperance said:

No, Will is Michelle's nephew.  I've posted this before. Will (Emily's father) is the son of Michelle's sister Pamela. 

Thanks for correcting! I should have checked closer. It makes you wonder how members of Meech's family ended up fundie too. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm beyond mind-boggled. Even if this FBI raid is rumor, who the hell sends their 11 year-old daughter to live in the home of a known child molester? Jesus Christ, what is wrong with these people? 

Could be why Jim Bob and Michelle aren't sending any of their' s over to help Anna!

Once stung, twice shy!

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

6 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Could be why Jim Bob and Michelle aren't sending any of their' s over to help Anna!

Once stung, twice shy!

But they're okay sending someone else's kid?

I think it's more that they need the younger girls to help run their own household. Jana can't do everything and the boys do nothing.

Edited by Future Cat Lady · Reason: missing a letter
  • Like 16
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Anna has scrubbed all mentions of Cousin Emily from her IG. 

This just gets stranger and stranger.

Who is Cousin Emily? I don't use IG.

I should have waited and read the entire thread before posting. I'm beyond shocked that anyone would let their young daughter live with Josh, let alone as a "helper" aka house servant. 

I thought homeschooling had to be done, or at least supervised, by the child's parents or legal guardians in Arkansas. If so, that may be what initially tripped them up. And, if raising Anna's children and cleaning her house took precedent over her schooling, that would probably come under child exploitation/trafficking. Plus, if she's there with her parents' permission, they're going to get nailed, too.

If this is what is happening, I bet the Duggars and the Gothard cult scream religious persecution and family harassment.  

Edited by Nysha · Reason: Just needed to read to answer my question.
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Cousin Emily is the granddaughter of one of Michelle's sisters. She's been with the Smuggars as a "helper". If you go far back in this thread you'd probably see a lot of pictures of Emily and Mack together. 

Dear god. Imagine if this was a rumor like Benessa in the church at their wedding...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 2

I think child molesters should be stripped naked, staked out in the middle of a desert, and painted with blood and gravy.

• Like 18

I’m terrified that it’s true something has happened to Emily. I wouldn’t disbelieve it for a second. Her parents are the scum of the earth to send her to live in Josh’s household of all people. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 8

9 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Apparently Anna has turned off comments on her SM accounts, which seems suspicious IMO.  I hope it’s not true, for the sake of Anna and the children.  I can’t imagine being hugely pregnant + 5 other children and having to deal with something like this.  It would be tragic.

Shades of when Meredith was born and the previous scandal broke at the same time. What terrible timing if Anna is due to give birth soon. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, awaken said:

Shades of when Meredith was born and the previous scandal broke at the same time. What terrible timing if Anna is due to give birth soon. 

I think she's due just about any day now. 

• Sad 4

40 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I should have waited and read the entire thread before posting. I'm beyond shocked that anyone would let their young daughter live with Josh, let alone as a "helper" aka house servant. 

I thought homeschooling had to be done, or at least supervised, by the child's parents or legal guardians in Arkansas. If so, that may be what initially tripped them up. And, if raising Anna's children and cleaning her house took precedent over her schooling, that would probably come under child exploitation/trafficking. Plus, if she's there with her parents' permission, they're going to get nailed, too.

If this is what is happening, I bet the Duggars and the Gothard cult scream religious persecution and family harassment.  

In current law, an Arkansas homeschool has to be "provided by" a parent or a legal guardian....I've been looking at that since the law was amended in 2017 but I haven't asked a lawyer.....However, I have a feeling that word just means that you set up some place where your kid will get something that you're calling a home-provided school.....

Their law is still called one of the loosest in the country, including by strong homeschooling advocates, and I haven't noticed any discussions or articles online about any issues or challenges that would have resulted in those words being defined in court. 

Out of my ignorance, though, I do get the feeling that you can "provide" pretty much anything and it's okay as long as you attest to "providing" it......I think the law's intended to very strongly protect parents' rights to see their children raised in any way they want.....

I assume Cousin Emily's family lives in Arkansas also? If they lived in another state, there might be issues you could raise based on whatever that state's laws were .... But I assume that's not the case? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I believe Emily's family lives out of state.

Any idea what's going on with them that they'd send a child away like that? To be a "helper"? A child......

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Any idea what's going on with them that they'd send a child away like that? To be a "helper"? A child......

They probably sold her. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Ingratiating themselves with their more famous kin?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It's sad these kids get swept under the rug. 

Unfortunately, children are human chattel, just like women. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 12

1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ingratiating themselves with their more famous kin?

You have to wonder, don't you.....

Jill R'll probably ship a few of hers down there next .... As long as Anna doesn't insist on a better class of servants, of course....

• Sad 2

Emily's popped up on Counting On...not prominently, but in the background in storylines involving the whole family. I remember first seeing Emily in one of Jill's pics/videos, perhaps several months to a year or so ago?

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

5 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

If she was transported across state lines to be some kind of house slave I start to see why CPS would be called in.

The Mann Act anyone?

• Like 8
  • Useful 1