Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

49 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am curious as to where the Duggars park, and how they handle the walk to the stadium.  I can't imagine them doing a dry tailgate.  How do they handle Josh walking by scantily-clad coeds shotgunning beers?  Do they get to the stadium early to try to bypass the tailgaters?  Do they arrive late as to avoid them?  Do they pay for the expensive parking as to avoid the riffraff?

I was thinking along the same lines. Do they put a Cone of Silence around their seats? What if there were a couple of tight tank top wearing coeds sitting in the rows  around them? Do the J'Howlers constantly get "Nikied" & have to stare at their feet the entire game?  What about the foul language?  How do they deal with the totally plastered fans?  

On the other side, do the Duggars try to save the evil  sinners? Do they pass out the Jesus tracts?  Does Mechelle suggest to the scantily clad ladies to cover up? 

• Like 17
  • Laugh 1

On 9/23/2019 at 5:35 AM, floridamom said:

There's Laura DeMaise again sticking her nose in this family's life. They never explained why this grown woman seems to live with them and seems to be overly interested in Jana. Just weird IMO. Laura really needs to speak up for herself, if she's allowed to, and state why she's with this family.

Especially since, early this year, she went on social media and explained how she'd had very little to do with them, ever, and has even less to do with them now. 

And ever since, she's been lurking somewhere in half their family photographs. Not to mention running public events of which Jed is the putative director. 

Something is very very very very very unusual about this woman's life. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 20

5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Think of it as a football team with a university. The coach is probably the highest paid person working there. 

But the athletes work for free.

We're still a plantation culture, unfortunately.

The south did rise again. As the NCAA. 

• Like 10
  • Laugh 7
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I was thinking along the same lines. Do they put a Cone of Silence around their seats? What if there were a couple of tight tank top wearing coeds sitting in the rows  around them? Do the J'Howlers constantly get "Nikied" & have to stare at their feet the entire game?  What about the foul language?  How do they deal with the totally plastered fans?  

On the other side, do the Duggars try to save the evil  sinners? Do they pass out the Jesus tracts?  Does Mechelle suggest to the scantily clad ladies to cover up? 

I think it would be enlightening if someone who is among the thousands at those games, notices the Duggar group and reports on how they behave. I believe the whole "Nike!" thing was. if not totally made-for-TV, certainly embellished for TV.

The Duggars live in the South. It's hot and humid for many months of the year, and so many people wear tank tops and shorts, or equivalently revealing clothing, in public, that they'd need to put blindfolds on the kids every time they leave the TTH, if they were serious about "guiding their eyes" or whatever they call their so-called purity measures.

Especially at a college football game in the early fall in Arkansas. Plenty of lovely young women with thighs to die for, displaying them no doubt to great advantage in shorts along with lovely tops showing collarbones, shoulders, and even cleavage. And don't doubt, plenty of those nice young women are Southern Baptists. 

So yeah, I call bullshit on that whole "we're keeping ourselves and our kids safe from the impure influences of the modern world by averting our/their eyes" thing. Not at a Razorbacks game, they're not.

• Like 24

28 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I think it would be enlightening if someone who is among the thousands at those games, notices the Duggar group and reports on how they behave. I believe the whole "Nike!" thing was. if not totally made-for-TV, certainly embellished for TV.

The Duggars live in the South. It's hot and humid for many months of the year, and so many people wear tank tops and shorts, or equivalently revealing clothing, in public, that they'd need to put blindfolds on the kids every time they leave the TTH, if they were serious about "guiding their eyes" or whatever they call their so-called purity measures.

Especially at a college football game in the early fall in Arkansas. Plenty of lovely young women with thighs to die for, displaying them no doubt to great advantage in shorts along with lovely tops showing collarbones, shoulders, and even cleavage. And don't doubt, plenty of those nice young women are Southern Baptists. 

So yeah, I call bullshit on that whole "we're keeping ourselves and our kids safe from the impure influences of the modern world by averting our/their eyes" thing. Not at a Razorbacks game, they're not.

Well, this is father who "treated" his young-adult kids and dates to a fucking-from-the-rear demonstration on a mini-golf course -- on television....

And a pair of parents who weren't actually much bothered by a teenage son's serial molestation of their own young daughters and others....But very upset that non-Duggar-worshiping people knowing about the incident might threaten JB's  and M's accumulation of power, fame and cash. 

So there's a whole lot of precedent for similar hypocrisies in the clan, I'd say. This one is mild and just par for the course, really.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 15
  • Sad 9

I looked on the Razorback Stadium website, and couldn't find if there is a designated 'family zone' which would be free of alcohol (some stadiums have those areas).  It would make sense that they would want to sit there, if available.

I am delighted that U of Arkansas paid the visiting team, San Jose State University, $1.5 million to come play.  Arkansas expected to beat up SJSU, but instead, lost to them 31-24.  SJSU plays in the Mountain West Conference, not a powerhouse conference, but still, it does include BYU and the Air Force Academy, among other colleges.

SJSU has played in 15 'revenue' games since 2010, going 0-14 until the win against Arkansas.  They have generated $10.4 million, which has gone into their sports budget.  I love the humiliation Arkansas has to feel. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 11

9 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

I looked on the Razorback Stadium website, and couldn't find if there is a designated 'family zone' which would be free of alcohol (some stadiums have those areas).  It would make sense that they would want to sit there, if available.

I am delighted that U of Arkansas paid the visiting team, San Jose State University, $1.5 million to come play.  Arkansas expected to beat up SJSU, but instead, lost to them 31-24.  SJSU plays in the Mountain West Conference, not a powerhouse conference, but still, it does include BYU and the Air Force Academy, among other colleges.

SJSU has played in 15 'revenue' games since 2010, going 0-14 until the win against Arkansas.  They have generated $10.4 million, which has gone into their sports budget.  I love the humiliation Arkansas has to feel. 

That is right up there with my favorite upset of all time--App State traveling up to Ann Arbor back in 2007.  They just did the same to UNC back on Saturday.  I love it when my two least favorite schools lose in spectacular fashion.  

College stadiums have just been able to serve alcohol by the NCAA in the last year or two.  The Razorbacks have probably not gotten around to designing any family sections yet.  If the Duggars do have some type of season tickets, then they will be sitting nowhere near the students.  The pictures posted of the game show them near the 50-yard line which is normally the area for alumni and other season ticket holders.  I don't know if Arkansas is anything like my school where the alumni can drink the students under the table.  The Duggs are probably watching the game with other sedate fans.

• Like 4

I’d forgotten that it’s only recently that college stadiums have allowed alcohol sales. We were at Vandy when visiting Georgia was upset. We were surrounded by very drunk Georgia students/alums who had done lots of pre-game drinking on the bus ride down. Fun to needle them - they were good sports about it!

• Like 3

I bet the Duggars think that people at the football games are thrilled to see them and sit close to them, as they’re such “big celebrities” (in their minds).  When Boob goes he probably brings pictures of his family to autograph and pass out, and hopes people ask to take pictures with them.  I can just picture him arrogantly walking to his seat, imagining everyone around him is in awe of his presence.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

Prior to TLC I think it was easy for the Duggars to play the Nike game, because they barely left the compound. Prior to TLC is was easy for the Duggars to say sports were off limits because they had no money to attend games. Prior to TLC it was easy to say they limited and monitored the internet because they had two or three PCs among the entire bunch.

Now they mix with the masses at sports games and local and non-local themes parks. Now each kid has access to laptops and iPhones. Much easier to follow their self-imposed, self-sacrificing rules when they didn't have the means to do otherwise.

Now they ignore all the things they touted and go on they merry way. I guess they found a new way of "doing things differently".

• Like 23

9 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Especially since, early this year, she went on social media and explained how she'd had very little to do with them, ever, and has even less to do with them now. 

And ever since, she's been lurking somewhere in half their family photographs. Not to mention running public events of which Jed is the putative director. 

Something is very very very very very unusual about this woman's life. 

Someone over on the "Lonely Js Club" thread pointed out that Laura works for Embassy Media, a fundie PR business and speculated that she's their media coach.

• Like 2
  • Useful 10

Just now, Albanyguy said:

Someone over on the "Lonely Js Club" thread pointed out that Laura works for Embassy Media, a fundie PR business and speculated that she's their media coach.

Yep. Just saw that, too. Makes sense, I guess, since they'd want somebody who shared their exact idiocy  beliefs. And there probably aren't that many Gothardite media "experts" around.....

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 5

I think she quit Embassy a couple of years ago, around the time she was seen with the Duggars all the time.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think she quit Embassy a couple of years ago, around the time she was seen with the Duggars all the time.

She may have quit the organization per se, but still practices her techniques for the Duggars. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

We're still a plantation culture, unfortunately.

The south did rise again. As the NCAA. 

Thanks for the food for thought. I avoid sports at all cost, but this seems like a topic worthy of more investigation! 

7 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

Wow. I had  no idea they paid visiting teams to come and play. 

yeah, I’m really curious how they deal with all the drinking, shorts, and tank tops that must be all around them at games.  Terrible influence for the #littleduggars!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

23 minutes ago, awaken said:

Thanks for the food for thought. I avoid sports at all cost, but this seems like a topic worthy of more investigation! 

Oh, it is, unfortunately....

Don't get me started! 😱

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Yes indeed, I am sure being young and married to Joshua Duggar has been nothing but laughs.  Anna's insistence that her marriage is heaven on earth is truly pathetic.

• Like 15
  • Sad 16

Anna looks so different now from this wedding picture! And her miscarriage is in heaven too. I have to laugh at her calling Josh’s issues a walk through shadows of sorrow. I wonder if they ever had an honest conversation about any of it. Somehow I doubt it.

• Like 16
  • Sad 8

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yes indeed, I am sure being young and married to Joshua Duggar has been nothing but laughs.  Anna's insistence that her marriage is heaven on earth is truly pathetic.

I don't mind her mention of her miscarriage, but the marriage part??? Yikes! I would not be celebrating being married to that slug. 

2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Anna looks so different now from this wedding picture! And her miscarriage is in heaven too. I have to laugh at her calling Josh’s issues a walk through shadows of sorrow. I wonder if they ever had an honest conversation about any of it. Somehow I doubt it.

Of course they haven't. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

What would be the point?  He knows that unless he files for divorce and flees the country, she'll be right there, acting as if everything is fine and regularly producing babies until she hits menopause and the baby factory closes. 

I can't stand Josh, but I can't stand Anna either.   Her husband's scandals didn't stop the baby train, and now she's trying to claw her way back up to the status she once held (or at least thought she held) as the one to be envied by the rest of the fundie community.

• Like 15
  • Sad 8

47 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

What would be the point?  He knows that unless he files for divorce and flees the country, she'll be right there, acting as if everything is fine and regularly producing babies until she hits menopause and the baby factory closes. 

I can't stand Josh, but I can't stand Anna either.   Her husband's scandals didn't stop the baby train, and now she's trying to claw her way back up to the status she once held (or at least thought she held) as the one to be envied by the rest of the fundie community.

I do feel badly for Anna.  She’s a product of her upbringing and is totally brainwashed.  I’m not sure she would divorce him even if she knew he was molesting his own daughters.

• Sad 18

9 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I do feel badly for Anna.  She’s a product of her upbringing and is totally brainwashed.  I’m not sure she would divorce him even if she knew he was molesting his own daughters.

Sadly, I don't think she would either. I feel badly for those kids. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

Looking at that picture is so sad. Josh has doubled in size and after all of those pregnancies Anna is no longer young and sweet natured. (They should have just stuck with their “hand sex”. 

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Looking at that picture is so sad. Josh has doubled in size and after all of those pregnancies Anna is no longer young and sweet natured. (They should have just stuck with their “hand sex”. 

The hand sex has to be more satisfying to Anna than Josh fitting his LEGO into her LEGO for 2 minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 9

Anna said in the "First Grandduggar" special that she and Smuggar had both gained a lot of weight since they were married. It's clear to me that Smuggar gained weight after marriage because for the first time in his life, he had enough to eat. He was downright scrawny in the first specials. I don't think he's ever gotten over his pre-marriage nutritional deprivation. 

Before anyone starts in that Smuggar is a child molester and should be drawn and quartered, my statement is NOT excusing his actions. 

• Like 23

On 9/27/2019 at 8:15 PM, PradaKitty said:

What saddens me isn't his weight gain, but the knowledge of what a deeply dysfunctional person he is. It's not just that he cheated -- the woman he paid to have sex with reported that he was very violent with her. He has serious issues and almost certainly has not received actual professional help. I honestly do worry about his daughters the older they get. Look at Toby Willis, who systematically raped all of his daughters.

• Like 3
  • Sad 14

13 hours ago, becca3891 said:

What saddens me isn't his weight gain, but the knowledge of what a deeply dysfunctional person he is. It's not just that he cheated -- the woman he paid to have sex with reported that he was very violent with her. He has serious issues and almost certainly has not received actual professional help. I honestly do worry about his daughters the older they get. Look at Toby Willis, who systematically raped all of his daughters.

And I don't think we will ever know if he is rough with Anna. She will never tell. 

Ugh, that Toby Willis case made me sick. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, becca3891 said:

the woman he paid to have sex with reported that he was very violent with her.

He did a decent job of proving he wasn't with that woman when she said. Her story is suspect based on evidence.

That said, I'm sure he did cheat with someone, and was a lousy lay.

• Like 10

I don't think he cheated, but I do think he's a lousy, selfish lay. I also worry about his daughters because he's lost the power and prestige he once had as the Golden Duggar Child. It would be easy to get that back through his daughters who would have no protection. I'm not sure Anna Duggar would abandon him to save them. According to Jessica, Brenda Willis knew that her husband had molested the girls and obviously knew that he was physically abusive, but she never exposed him and did nothing to protect them until she spoke out.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 11

He publicly confessed to cheating.  I doubt he'd have done that if he hadn't.

• Like 19
  • Useful 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:27 PM, Heathen said:

Anna said in the "First Grandduggar" special that she and Smuggar had both gained a lot of weight since they were married. It's clear to me that Smuggar gained weight after marriage because for the first time in his life, he had enough to eat. He was downright scrawny in the first specials. I don't think he's ever gotten over his pre-marriage nutritional deprivation. 

Before anyone starts in that Smuggar is a child molester and should be drawn and quartered, my statement is NOT excusing his actions. 

Anna was pretty scrawny herself early on.  I’m sure part, if not most, of her weight gain was leftover pregnancy weight.  I also suspect that Anna is a decent cook.

• Like 8

Josh’s initial apology mentioned viewing porn, and satan building a fortress....... he then changed it to admitting to being a hypocrite, and cheating on his wife, omitting  the above.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Josh’s initial apology mentioned viewing porn, and satan building a fortress....... he then changed it to admitting to being a hypocrite, and cheating on his wife, omitting  the above.

He edited that letter two or three times before he settled on the final result. Thank goodness for the internet, catching all of his changes.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

He did a decent job of proving he wasn't with that woman when she said. Her story is suspect based on evidence.

That said, I'm sure he did cheat with someone, and was a lousy lay.

Where did you see that? I just did some digging and all I found was that she agreed to drop her lawsuit. That doesn't at all mean that it didn't happen; just that proving violence during an initially consensual encounter is very difficult. It rings true to me -- when his alternate social media accounts were found, he was obsessed with a variety of porn stars including the one who alleges he paid her for sex.

But either way, we know that he preyed upon his sisters when he was just a few years away from being a legal adult. I sincerely hope that he's not as disturbed as Toby Willis. I always strongly suspected Toby was physically abusive; I could see it in his eyes, but never had I imagined the full extent of his monstrosity.

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

13 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Anna was pretty scrawny herself early on.  I’m sure part, if not most, of her weight gain was leftover pregnancy weight.  I also suspect that Anna is a decent cook.

I don't know if she is a good cook, but she cooks high calorie fat foods. What is that dish she likes to make? Chikitini? 

9 hours ago, becca3891 said:

But either way, we know that he preyed upon his sisters when he was just a few years away from being a legal adult. I sincerely hope that he's not as disturbed as Toby Willis. I always strongly suspected Toby was physically abusive; I could see it in his eyes, but never had I imagined the full extent of his monstrosity.

Looking back, his eyes looked dark. I gave him the benefit of any doubt because of what happened to his family. I live in Illinois so I remember when the story happened. I felt sorry for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't know if she is a good cook, but she cooks high calorie fat foods. What is that dish she likes to make? Chikitini? 

Chickenetti.  It contains canned cream of chicken soup and a pound of Velveeta.  Enough said.

Here's a link to Anna's recipe:

https://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2010/03/anna-duggars-chicken-etti-recipe.html

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

Anna's insistence that her marriage is heaven on earth is truly pathetic.

Her husband's scandals didn't stop the baby train, and now she's trying to claw her way back up to the status she once held (or at least thought she held) as the one to be envied by the rest of the fundie community.

It is absolutely pathetic.  Where is your pride, woman?  The entire country knows what a scumbag you're married to.  I know just staying quiet on social media, or saying a very understated "Happy Anniversary", would be a sin to these fools and an option that wouldn't even cross her mind.  I truly believe she thinks with time, everyone will forget.  It's something just to move past.  And if she continues with the social media portrayal of the "perfect" fundie family, she will eventually regain her status.  And with the leg-humpers, I imagine this is true.  Taking everything at face value, the fundie masses will rejoice in his rehabilitation!  He's probably held up as an inspiration in the community.  And she as the perfect example of a Godly wife.   

Although, I often think Anna doesn't believe any of the accusations are true and the community would also think it's just the unjust persecution of a man because of his strong religious beliefs.  

Are Toby and Brenda Willis still married?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Are Toby and Brenda Willis still married?

As far as I can tell, although it's hopefully a non-issue, as he's serving 40 years. Brenda did distance herself from him in her public statement by calling him "Toby Willis" rather than "my husband," although a PR person may have coached her.

I have mixed feelings about Brenda. To a point, she was a victim of their patriarchal lifestyle and may possibly have been abused herself, but this quote is quite damning. Yet another instance of a child, one who was so sheltered she wouldn't have even had the knowledge to make it up, not being believed. I think Brenda chose to look the other way because divorce in their world is unthinkable.

Jessica wrote that, at the age of 9, she began to question her father’s behavior after her mother brought forward her own suspicions. She said her mother asked her some general questions, which she responded to with head nods, and she remembers hearing her mother raising her voice at her father for the first time in her life. However, the abuse continued.

“I didn’t understand that my father simply denied any wrongdoing and became more secretive and dangerous from then on,” she added.

• Sad 21

8 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

As far as I can tell, although it's hopefully a non-issue, as he's serving 40 years. Brenda did distance herself from him in her public statement by calling him "Toby Willis" rather than "my husband," although a PR person may have coached her.

I have mixed feelings about Brenda. To a point, she was a victim of their patriarchal lifestyle and may possibly have been abused herself, but this quote is quite damning. Yet another instance of a child, one who was so sheltered she wouldn't have even had the knowledge to make it up, not being believed. I think Brenda chose to look the other way because divorce in their world is unthinkable.

Jessica wrote that, at the age of 9, she began to question her father’s behavior after her mother brought forward her own suspicions. She said her mother asked her some general questions, which she responded to with head nods, and she remembers hearing her mother raising her voice at her father for the first time in her life. However, the abuse continued.

“I didn’t understand that my father simply denied any wrongdoing and became more secretive and dangerous from then on,” she added.

How terribly sad. Its that way in so many religions and societies that frown so heavily on divorce and the man being the "headship". Things need to change for those countless victims. Victimized as a child, you could be victimized as an adult. It bodes poorly for the kids if Josh does anything. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Just my opinion but the first episode we will get to see Smuggs in will be grandma's funeral then TLC will show him in each episode afterwards more and more until the final episode of the season which will be all about Smuggs the redemption episode. 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 8

As I've noted before, showing Smuggar might be the death knell of the show. I imagine that easily 1/3 of their viewership are hate-watchers. Lose them, and the ratings slip well below a million. That would probably be enough to get them canned.

• Like 14

On 10/3/2019 at 1:11 AM, becca3891 said:

Where did you see that? I just did some digging and all I found was that she agreed to drop her lawsuit. That doesn't at all mean that it didn't happen; just that proving violence during an initially consensual encounter is very difficult. It rings true to me -- when his alternate social media accounts were found, he was obsessed with a variety of porn stars including the one who alleges he paid her for sex.

There's plenty on the topic (I searched "Josh Duggar Danica Dillon alibi"), although these aren't great sources, they might be as good as this type of a story gets:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/news/a53278/porn-star-danica-dillon-drops-duggar-rough-sex-lawsuit/

But according to TMZ, she's now confirmed she falsified her account — Josh's lawyers had been about to file paperwork of their own "conclusively proving" Josh's alibi, TMZ explains; previous reports had also cast doubt on the timing of her allegations (given that Josh, logistically, couldn't have been in the places she claimed he was during their sex sessions, both in an intimate and more general geographical context).

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

9 minutes ago, dariafan said:

When is this child due?

Anna is pregnant again?  This seems to be a yearly production!  How many is that now?

• Like 2