Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

If a person is too lazy or simply doesn't want to make mashed potatoes, baked potatoes are even easier and taste much better than instant potatoes. And definitely, when guests are involved, if there is a choice between baked or instant, I would go with baked.

Edited by starfire
  • Love 3

I would like to know why on episodes where Anna cooks a dinner, she has to wait till last minute to go to store with kiddos in tow to buy dinner items. Wouldn't it make more sense to go to store in evening by herself (leaving Snugger to watch kiddos)? I know that doesn't make for exciting TV & most of episodes are producer driven. Then she makes comment she doesn't know how or has never cooked a turkey before & had to call her mom for help. Really Anna? She acted like it was a total mystery to her. I thought since she came from a larger sized family she helped with cooking but she may have been a Jessa with no skills. But roasting a turkey isn't rocket science. I guess shes never roasted a chicken either. Very easy, tastes better & is healthier than the frozen chicken items shes used to. Then the family gushes over how great the meal was (remember the gray green bean casserolle?) But since they're used to processed convenience food, it was a feast to them.

• Love 1
won't argue that, but the reason actually given on the show for why they all have the same hairstyle is because "Daddy likes it that way."  I believe it was Jill who said that.  Might have been any of the older girls, though; they really all did look damn near identical in the ankle-length denim skirt and Ramen hair days.

I didn't think they were saying JB liked it long, necessarily, but that he specifically liked the Ramen style (thank you for that description, it's perfect!). 

I thought it went something like "I like long hair, my sisters like long hair, our dad likes long hair," but I could be misremembering and she was actually talking about the stupid perms.  Either way I think it's damn weird for girls to take their father's preference into their hairstyle.

• Love 1

And again, nearly all fundamentalist groups control how women wear their hair. I'm just pleased that Anna has cut hers to a sort of long length and keeps it stylishly done for their world (and did so even before DC.).

• Love 2

Not all women (or men) can even grow their hair super-long. Some of it is in the genes. My won't grow longer than a few inches below my shoulders, no matter how long I don't cut it. It just starts breaking off instead of continuing to grow. 

Anna's hair does look better than many of the Duggar girls' hair, I agree. 

Because they have to find an over the top way to reveal it to everyone. They are the Duggars after all.  I think they wanted to know, Flyingdi, but wanted to find out with the rest of the family.

That's very much in vogue, at least in the South where I live. My daughter is a cake decorator and does plenty of "gender reveal" cakes. At least half the time, the expectant parents are in the dark themselves; they give her a sealed envelope containing the sex of the baby so they can be surprised along with everyone else at the cake cutting.

You know, to each his/her own, but the whole gender reveal thing just seems juvenile or something to me. If you want to know the sex of your baby, ask during the ultrasound and they will tell you if they can. If not, ask the medical personnel not to tell. Simple. All the cakes and parties and sealed envelopes, and lists of people who can know and can't know... Why? Of course, I'm sure Jill, being a Duggar, will have some sort of Gender Reveal Extravaganza! I'll go be grumpy by myself now.

Edited by Libby96
  • Love 10

I can see doing a gender reveal thing for your first child-not a whole party, but maybe a cake or an opening of the envelope or something at the baby shower-but even after your first baby it seems sort of repetitive. Especially when your family has done half a million gender reveals.

• Love 1

I'm certainly no fan of the reveal gimmicks . . . I didn't even find out the sex of my kids. I was just pointing out that it's a "thing" for the expectant parents to wait and find out the gender along with the extended family or whoever's at the gender reveal extravaganza. My impression is that people don't usually do a huge party, but of course the pictures are a big whoop-de-doo on social media (because otherwise OMG it hasn't really happened!).  

I don't get gender reveal parties, or first year parties with smash cakes, but, well, they do seem to be very popular with at least a few subsets of people today, and as things go, they are harmless. I'm just glad I'm old enough that I'm not part of that mix.

• Love 3

The gender reveal thing has always seemed like a pro-life thing. It's like having a grand display of a fetuses gender embodies it with more personhood and makes it more concrete. I had never heard of gender reveal parties until it became a "thing" all my SBC (southern Baptists convention) friends got into.

• Love 2

I was watching the episode where Anna just had Marcus and they traveled to the Bates on their way to DC. Everyone was really excited to see baby Marcus.  Jim Bob was even rocking him in the rocking chair.  I never saw MEchelle hold him- not once.  For someone that pretends to love babies so much, she shows no interest in those grandchildren.  I find it strange.  I know that each and every time I brought a baby to my parents house, my mother would immediately take them out of my arms and pretty much not let go until I had to go.  

Plus, I think MEchelle was jealous that Anna got the little baby shower and she got no attention.  

• Love 3

Everyone I know, in every region of the country, who is of baby-producing age, has made at least a facebook announcement, if not something more elaborate for their baby's gender. Frankly, I'd be more surprised about someone not announcing their baby's gender than any of these elaborate announcements. I sort of go back and forth between the line of hey, new life is always exciting, propagation of the species, a big deal for the parents, and nobody likes a grump anyway, and the line of can we all get a grip please.

Josh and Anna's idiotic baby gender reveals with Jim and that church (what?) and all that were totally ridiculous but I'd bet it was TLC-driven and I never quite can tell if those are things that Josh and Anna actually get a choice about.

The gender reveal thing has always seemed like a pro-life thing. It's like having a grand display of a fetuses gender embodies it with more personhood and makes it more concrete. I had never heard of gender reveal parties until it became a "thing" all my SBC (southern Baptists convention) friends got into.

I look at gender reveal parties like prom proposals and push presents—emerging status-symbol customs that give people another excuse to brag and one-up each other, with retailers who benefit from the existence of these new "traditions" hyping the idea that they're an essential part of life. I would blame the rise of social media and Youtube usage with a dash of celebrity worship (I first heard of gender reveal parties from reading magazines like People/US Weekly) more than any particular political/social movement.

Josh and Anna's kids do seem well behaved. Good for them if they do have a secret pact/deal not to limit the size of their family to less-than-supersized levels.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 6

You know, to each his/her own, but the whole gender reveal thing just seems juvenile or something to me. If you want to know the sex of your baby, ask during the ultrasound and they will tell you if they can. If not, ask the medical personnel not to tell. Simple. All the cakes and parties and sealed envelopes, and lists of people who can know and can't know... Why? Of course, I'm sure Jill, being a Duggar, will have some sort of Gender Reveal Extravaganza! I'll go be grumpy by myself now.

I have to believe that some people just have a lot more free time than others.

Everyone I know, in every region of the country, who is of baby-producing age, has made at least a facebook announcement, if not something more elaborate for their baby's gender. Frankly, I'd be more surprised about someone not announcing their baby's gender than any of these elaborate announcements. I sort of go back and forth between the line of hey, new life is always exciting, propagation of the species, a big deal for the parents, and nobody likes a grump anyway, and the line of can we all get a grip please.

Josh and Anna's idiotic baby gender reveals with Jim and that church (what?) and all that were totally ridiculous but I'd bet it was TLC-driven and I never quite can tell if those are things that Josh and Anna actually get a choice about.

I can assure you that not everyone of baby-producing age does this; in fact, quite a few are  not even on FB! It really has not taken over all of the population, even though it often seems that way to me.

I look at gender reveal parties like prom proposals and push presents—emerging status-symbol customs that give people another excuse to brag and one-up each other, with retailers who benefit from the existence of these new "traditions" hyping the idea that they're an essential part of life. I would blame the rise of social media and Youtube usage with a dash of celebrity worship (I first heard of gender reveal parties from reading magazines like People/US Weekly) more than any particular political/social movement.

Josh and Anna's kids do seem well behaved. Good for them if they do have a secret pact/deal not to limit the size of their family to less-than-supersized levels.

I am happy to announce that no one I know has ever mentioned a "push present!" And do women still get presents if they have C-sections? Because you know Hollywood women these days don't do vaginal births:)

I wonder if the Duggars are allowed to use YouTube? It seems like at least the older ones are all over the internet.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2

I think gender reveals are Pinterest driven. Personally? If I ever have a baby, I'm not telling the gender for the first 6 months. Just because.

We purposely refused to find out what we were having until our baby was born. Partly because we felt the surprise and anticipation would help get us through the stress of labor, and partly because it drove my mother INSANE.

:)

Mrs QF ended up having to have a c-section, and it was fun to banter with the doctor and nurses about old wives tales and gender; it helped reduce a lot of our stress at being in in OR, etc. And it made it that much more exciting to hear a baby crying and the doctor yelling "It's a boy!" at the top of her lungs. 

Having said all that, I'm 33 and jewish and know a ton of people who did gender reveals or talked up their baby's gender on FB. 

• Love 1

Push present - a heinous new trend where husbands will give wives a gift for "pushing" the baby out. If that's part of a happy marriage for both of you, more power to you, but it, like everything else, seems to be creating expectations where there really ought be none.

• Love 6

The "gender reveals" give me a good laugh.  The child won't reveal their gender for years after birth.  So I get an extra laugh at gender reveal parties.  I call it the modern narcissism born of the failed self-esteem movement where everyone got a medal whether their team won or not.  So many things in life become another look at meeeee moment. 

At the first Duggar "gender" reveal I thought it was because they didn't want to say the word sex. 

• Love 9

I thought the baby was the present you received after you stopped pushing? Silly me.

My thoughts exactly! I guess I have heard of the dad giving a gift to the mom after the birth of the baby, which I guess if that is how you want to spend your money when you have a brand new life to support, that's your business. But calling it a "push present?" Sort of junior high and gross all at the same time.

• Love 9

The "gender reveals" give me a good laugh.  The child won't reveal their gender for years after birth.  So I get an extra laugh at gender reveal parties.  I call it the modern narcissism born of the failed self-esteem movement where everyone got a medal whether their team won or not.  So many things in life become another look at meeeee moment. 

At the first Duggar "gender" reveal I thought it was because they didn't want to say the word sex. 

Extremely well-said!

My thoughts exactly! I guess I have heard of the dad giving a gift to the mom after the birth of the baby, which I guess if that is how you want to spend your money when you have a brand new life to support, that's your business. But calling it a "push present?" Sort of junior high and gross all at the same time.

And I've heard those presents are often high-end jewelry. Way to put yourself in debt as you're bringing a new child into the world.

• Love 2

yeah, I'll grant that I wouldn't have minded a gift, like a Caribbean vacation or something, after pushing for 2 1/2 hours to bring my first child into the world, but I sort of figured them's the breaks, being that my husband was at the time working 60+ hours a week, I figured that pretty much put us even.

ETA - and yes, I know that 2 1/2 hours is relatively normal and/or low for a first pregnancy. My BF pushed for 4 hours to bring her large-headed first child into the world. That just hadn't happened yet when I was birthing my first and I didn't really ever bother to research at the time and was sort of blindsided by this whole "pushing" thing. :)

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 3

Push present - a heinous new trend where husbands will give wives a gift for "pushing" the baby out. If that's part of a happy marriage for both of you, more power to you, but it, like everything else, seems to be creating expectations where there really ought be none.

Ugh. I wonder how long it'll be before there are registries in case friends, family, fans, or whoever want to also give a "push present."

• Love 3

I have never been to a gender reveal party before or to any elaborate revealings at all. Usually its a phone call from excited friend or relative to let me know their having a boy or a girl. They chose to do it by phone because they are just so excited they want to call each of their friends and/or relatives. That and they get to say it more then once because their so excited. I don't think any of them could have waited long enough to get everyone together or have a 'reveal'. Its always as soon as they get home from the doctor from finding out because they were just so excited.  

The closest I ever had to more excitement way to find out was with my brother and his wife who planned to wait until their baby was born to be surprise. They changed their minds when they couldn't stop arguing over baby names.  For some reason they both thought it was a girl and had their own name picked out and neither one of them would budge. They literally argued for months, if you called over there and there was a sudden coldness from who ever answered the phone, you knew they just had another fight. Or at family dinners the only words they would speak to each to each other was the name they chosen for their daughter. Each would constantly refer to their unborn baby by the name they chose. I never seen anything like it before. My brother was always so laid back I figured he wouldn't care what name his wife picked. But no he had his choice and he wasn't changing his mind. They finally had an ultrasound and learned it was boy. Oddly enough they were able to agree on a boy name very quickly. I do sometimes wonder how it would have ended if it had been a girl. Would they have gone to sudden death? Who ever got to the birth certificate first? Would the birth certificate have the name repeatedly crossed out and changed? Or would the poor little girl had to of learn to answer to both names? They have no plans on having anymore kids, I'll probably never know. 

• Love 2

I have been so far behind on the happenings of the Duggars and now that I finally have a DVR, I'm catching up on old episodes when TLC airs them. Forgive me for being late in the game and rehashing old conversations! I recently watched Josh and Anna's move to D.C., although I missed the 2nd parter when the family says good-bye. I was so ticked off with Jim Bob for holding up Josh's move by spending an extra night at the Bates. Poor Josh and Anna! That was so rude and even though JB apologized over the phone, he didn't even sound a bit guilty or sincere about it. Was he for reals, or did the show tell him to stay behind an extra day at the Bates for added drama? Still, the nerve of him! And when the Bates first extended the invite for the Duggars to stay the night, and JB said yes---I didn't think that was his decision to make. It should've been Josh's because he was on a time crunch and the move was for him. He should've been consulted. I felt bad for him when he was trying to leave the next morning, but JB could barely get his eyes opened and all he could do was say, "I'll pray for you." No care in the world! I wonder what Josh was really thinking and was he cursing up a storm in his head. The first thing that came to my mind when they arrived at the new house was, I hope they have toilet paper in the house because everything else is back in TN! I admit, though, I liked seeing them make the last leg of the trip on their own because times like these draws husband/wife closer together and gels them more together as a family.

I never thought much of Anna, but she has been growing on me. She is sharper than I thought. I gained even more respect for her in this episode when she said she had to learn to live away from her family when she got married and now he just gonna have to learn to live without his. Boy, was I rooting for her to be finally away from the rest of the clan, and for her and Josh to really be their own family entity. I agree with all the posters who say this move will be good for them. I look forward to seeing how they change from being in D.C. I felt Josh really got burned by JB during the move and wonder if that changed things for him towards his dad.

• Love 3

Regarding the move, I know reality shows are staged, but that was one of the few instances where I think Boob, the family and the producers were in on the showing up a day late deal, but Josh and Anna weren't. Their reactions seemed genuine, not staged, and I swear I saw Josh was about to say the word "fuck" and caught himself last minute.

Overall I think there was no need to bring the entire family to DC. The little kids ended up being a pain and getting in the way of everyone else. They should have taken the older boys, older girls and maybe Jer and Jed, but that's it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Also, while most people, with obvious reason, find what Josh does problematic, it is a real job in the way that JB probably doesn't understand, or, more likely, even looks down upon because Josh has to answer to a boss (even sometimes a woman) and adhere to schedues that he doesn't control. I think part of that was a power play - yeah, you think you're leaving, but you still answer to me. I still don't think that JB wants his children to "be in politics" the way Josh is, he'd rather them run for office, and thus increase the influence of the family.

Josh is cashing in on his name, yes, but he's doing to line his own pockets and build his own career, not to strengthen JB's. I don't think they (JB and Michelle saw that possibility coming). So the moving incident was a straight up power play. Down to the tossed off, "I'll pray for you." Think about how often have you heard a Duggar parent say that to as child? It's not often. That's because in Fundy speak it is often (though not always) code for, "you are wrong and I'll pray that you come to see that I'm right."

My theory, anyway! :)

• Love 5
Josh is cashing in on his name, yes, but he's doing to line his own pockets and build his own career, not to strengthen JB's. I don't think they (JB and Michelle saw that possibility coming). So the moving incident was a straight up power play. Down to the tossed off, "I'll pray for you." Think about how often have you heard a Duggar parent say that to as child? It's not often. That's because in Fundy speak it is often (though not always) code for, "you are wrong and I'll pray that you come to see that I'm right."

I agree except I think it comes from jealousy, JimBob like Michelle can't handle any of his kids upstaging him at all. He only made it as far as a one term state congressman while his son was handed a job in DC. 

• Love 1

There is a major difference between getting a job with your own skills, education, and work ethics. Josh should be thankful to his parents because without them there will be a snowball chance in you know where of him getting this type of job. His only career (if you can call it that) was pretending to own a car lot and be a minor famewhore star on TLC. He is a very small fish in a very large pond. I really wonder if the organization he works for takes him seriously because his only skill he has is his last name.

And speaking of the move, I am sure Josh was happy to get the free labor. He also has no room to talk about how he treats others. He considers his own children to be investments and does not mind the filming of his wife delivering his investments on national television to make a few bucks and for ratings. He probably runs late and expects other to wait on him because of Duggar time. It probably was another bad storyline. If Josh wanted his stuff to get there on time, he should have open his wallet and pay someone to do it. I do not feel sorry for him or Anna.

I'm not saying I feel sorry for anyone. But it's also true that if Josh had been born into an even somewhat reasonable but still deeply religious family he could have had the education to see how far he could have gone on his own. It's possible he never could never have made it as far as he had without his parents fecundity fame, but I think it's just as likely that he could have found a way into DC given half a serious chance. But we will never know, because he was never given that.

When Anna was making stepping stones with the kiddos, she makes a comment that since they home-school, they can do hands on projects/crafts. She comes across that only home-schooled children have time to do them. Well Anna, that's not so. Not home-schooled kids make crafts at home, school, church, scouts etc.

It always gets me when the Duggars perpetuate that line. "Homeschooling is so much better, because we can get done with our work so fast, and then go play!" I don't understand why they continue to think that's a good thing. You have the opportunity to spend more time learning, but choose not to and embrace your own ignorance? You treat education as a chore that you need to just "get through", like vacuuming?

• Love 4

And not that every child had this, but my son's school had a trained art teacher, a kiln, professional supplies and a dark room for old style photography - things like that. His education went WAAAY beyond crafting with me, which we did in addition to his public schooling.

I love that people homeschool when it's the best choice for that child and parent. But please don't tell me how public schools are failing children when you've not gone to one and have never sent your kids.

• Love 5

I went to a private school and we hardly went on any field trips or did any art classes. When we did do art, it was in high school and it was pathetic-not even taught by a real art teacher.

However, I know that a lot of schools are well-rounded and do those things, and good for them.

I think home-schooling is a great thing if you're *actually* teaching your kids the material. However, that doesn't mean it's the only option out there.

Random observation, but I'm surprised that when we see the Duggars do craft projects they show the kids working on the bare kitchen or dining room table. I remember when I was little my mom hosted a play group and we did tons of crafts, and she would literally cover every square inch of our kitchen in newspaper. I'm guessing Michelle figures there's always a J'Slave to clean up any spilled paint or glue....

• Love 1

Random observation, but I'm surprised that when we see the Duggars do craft projects they show the kids working on the bare kitchen or dining room table. I remember when I was little my mom hosted a play group and we did tons of crafts, and she would literally cover every square inch of our kitchen in newspaper. I'm guessing Michelle figures there's always a J'Slave to clean up any spilled paint or glue....

After feet and butts have been on the tables and counters, do they even care?

• Love 5
It always gets me when the Duggars perpetuate that line. "Homeschooling is so much better, because we can get done with our work so fast, and then go play!" I don't understand why they continue to think that's a good thing. You have the opportunity to spend more time learning, but choose not to and embrace your own ignorance? You treat education as a chore that you need to just "get through", like vacuuming?

I'm a homeschooler and I have said sort of similar things before. But for me, it's not that school is a chore. I, personally, feel that the amount of time kids spend in school these days is excessive, and many of them end up becoming bored, burnt out, etc. So because I only have 3 kids and we can cover what we need to in a shorter period of time, my kids have a lot more time to play. And I just personally believe play is a HUGE part of growth and learning and I want my kids to have a lot of free time. But, of course, that isn't going to be everyone's mindset and that's cool. I have no idea if that is what Anna meant, but if so I can totally see where she's coming from.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 3

The talk about school, work, and play makes me laugh a little because my oldest is 5 and we started home school kindergarten with her this year. When I was explaining to her what this would mean, her only priority was still having lots of time to play. On the first day, I was all set to start school at 8:30, and she was all set to play with her Legos at 8:30 and kept telling me that I told her she would have lots of time to play. We have adjusted expectations and now mostly do school in the afternoon, but really, she's 5... she has her whole life to sit in a desk. That's the beauty of home schooling, if my kids want to spend 4 hours outside riding their bikes and playing soccer, they can since we can accomplish kindergarten in about an hour and a half a day. I would guess that's probably what the Duggars mean by finishing their work in a short amount of time - which is much easier with home schooling, my other option for school is 5 full days a week - then they can spend a lot more time playing which is more fun and in my opinion very beneficial.

As for Anna's comment about doing projects with her kids - she has a point that when home schooling, if a kid develops an interest in a subject, they can focus on it in a way that the kid wouldn't be able to in a public school and in some cases, be more hands-on with it than they can in a classroom setting. Seems like she loses a point for sanctimony though, and while I think home schooling is great, I'm soooo over the sanctimony.

• Love 2

Again, not all public schools did this, but my son's school factored in play as an important part of their day. In addition to the playground they had excellent physical education, and games worked into the curriculum so playing was part of learning. They did art and music and put on plays. They had an excellent library which gave them time to explore and took multiple field trips and brought in public speakers. They dressed up in character costumes and had spirit week with a theme for the day.

And this was just K-8. Once he got to HS it was even more.

Again, I think it's great to homeschool if that is the best choice for you and your children. For others, private school is the right place. But I do really wish that Anna, who has only been TOLD BY THE MEDIA what public schools are like would stop repeating the mantra that her way is better. Because it isn't - not in the abstract. She is only speaking for herself. Stop telling us that our children can't do things when we so clearly CAN.

• Love 6

Just caught the episode when the trainer shows up "unexpectedly" of course!  LOL  Anna prepared more food for that breakfast for 3 small children and Josh than she did for the Thanksgiving feast which had to feed 20 more family members?!  24 biscuits and was that turkey bacon at least being slid into the oven?  What would she do without cooking sheets to cook all that boxed food?    

Steve said Josh has put on 20-25lbs since he saw him last but he is not the only one.  Anna is overweight and the kids are on the heavy side already.  They are cute cute cute but their little cherubic faces look like they have been blown up like balloons.  Those kids need to be running around that yard.    

I think the food served by the film's catering company would be heaps more palatable.  Anna's looked like a "FREE when you stay all night"  buffet breakfast gone real bad!  LOL

Edited by jodo

Maybe if the Duggar kiddos had gone to a brick & mortar school, they would not revolve around "Duggar time". They would have had to follow the class schedule, be at school at 9 etc. I'm sure it was a shock to Josh he had to be at work at 9, eat lunch at noon & had to work (also a novelty for him) till 5 when at the car lot he could use Duggar time & come & go as he pleased. I'm sure there are many home schoolers that follow a school schedule but I think allowing the child to play when he wants (I'm all for play) school is an afterthought (the Duggars). This is in no way preparing them for the real world where time matters, most importantly at a job. But we know the Duggars don't live in the real world.

• Love 4

I don't think being on "Duggar Time" is necessarily entirely a result of whatever their school setup is, but more just an indicator of how they think they're special snowflakes and no one should really mind if they're late. They really just don't think it's a big deal. "Hey, we have 19 kids! Of course we're going to be late". Like they should get a pass. When, in reality. having that many kids should ensure they get ready on time - they have so many more helpers than most people.

Our school time is very scheduled, but I know others who just do it whenever. And they're still on time to appointments, meetings with people, etc. Why? Because they're not fucking RUDE. 

• Love 12