Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Well, we know the "plot" for Smuganna this season is that Trainer Steve shows up in DC and whips them back into shape (again), culminating with the 4k run he did on July 4th. There's still no pregnancy. I think that for him it's having to actually work on someone else's schedule, even with all the built in vacations, might be taking its toll on him.

Speaking of vacations, this was posted from Anna's Instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/sq2IV8mAMF/?modal=true

The Smugs fly first class and given he hasn't worked in over a week, don't think he can put this flight (for the entire family who was in AR) on his expense report. So much for living on the cheap and being part of the hoi polloi. This says a lot about who Josh Duggar thinks he is.

They fly a lot. It could be points or several reasons. The fact that they took a picture may be because it's a rare treat.

It may be that they do fly first class, but you'd be surprised who in DC actually flies coach.

Re earlier posts re how many kids Josh and Anna want. Somehow I view Josh and Anna as the type who both don't want too many more, but won't talk to each other about it because it's un-Godly not to want more in their culture. Josh has openly said that 2-3 would be fine if that's what God wills; he said that right when they were getting married but of course had to keep up the usual "as many as God gives us" line that is expected or else Anna's father wouldn't have handed her over. Anna OTOH I think wanted 6-10 kids and even said it after they had Mac, but now I'm thinking with 3 kids under 5, being alone in DC without a gaggle of sister in laws who can help at a moment's notice, not being able to drop off the kids at the Duggar home for free babysitting, and not being able to pop by the car lot to have Josh help for a few hours a day -- she may be re-thinking just how hard it'll be to have 3 more little ones right now. I do think she wants more, but they may only have 1-2 more and be done, or they could be one of those families that has 3, takes a break, has 2-3 more when the first three are 8-10 years old.

In the meantime, if she isn't talking about getting pregnant, I bet Josh is counting his lucky stars and not saying a word about it either. People say that it's hard to maintain a relationship in the bedroom when you have little kids -- you affirmatively have to try to schedule time; I bet they're both just not scheduling time.

I also think Josh likes life in DC (Anna too) -- esp being out from under his father's thumb. Sure he only got the job because of his name and he's back in Arkansas all the time, but at the end of the day -- he goes to his parents' knowing he'll be back in his own home in a week or so. It's possible Josh is feeling financial pressure when he thinks of the future. He isn't well educated but I think he's savvier than any of the other boys. He may realize -- this job/paycheck won't last forever, and if we want to stay in DC I need to save up/keep my eyes open for something that pays similarly or else there's a car lot with my name on it. With that in mind, he may be thinking that it'll be easier to stick around DC financially with just 3 to provide for, rather than 6 or 8 or whatever.

• Love 3

I also think Josh likes life in DC (Anna too) -- esp being out from under his father's thumb. Sure he only got the job because of his name and he's back in Arkansas all the time, but at the end of the day -- he goes to his parents' knowing he'll be back in his own home in a week or so. It's possible Josh is feeling financial pressure when he thinks of the future. He isn't well educated but I think he's savvier than any of the other boys. He may realize -- this job/paycheck won't last forever, and if we want to stay in DC I need to save up/keep my eyes open for something that pays similarly or else there's a car lot with my name on it. With that in mind, he may be thinking that it'll be easier to stick around DC financially with just 3 to provide for, rather than 6 or 8 or whatever.

I was thinking this same thing about them earlier. I feel like they are keeping their mouths shut on any dissenting opinion from the family party line because they know that one this gravy train goes away, life is going to be different. So they are putting up with it in order to preserve their place on the show and their income. But I bet they have behind-the-scenes conversations about what they really want. So they'll keep declaring "As many children as god wants us to have!" and smiling for the cameras. It can be fairly easy to avoid pregnancy if one is attentive to the cycle! The reality is there is only a very short windows for a pregnancy to occur and they could easily be missing it. So, they wouldn't even have to resort to any extraordinary measures, like going and getting birth control (and risk anyone finding out). I know there's laws about these sorts of things, but there are enough unscrupulous people out there for me to believe someone would leak info about Anna if she were taking hormonal birth control.

• Love 1

One of mr friends wrote one of the most influential books on natural family planning. I'm not talking about the little talks you get in a church basement, but someone who is a secular person but against putting chemicals into your body and spent several years studying and writing about the science of the woman's body and doing seminars with women to teach them. She's been welcomed into the communities of the Amish and Mennonites as well as the Orthodox Jewish - two other groups who also practice "as many as God gives us" but also believe that God gave them intelligence. (If the Duggars try for as many as possible the flip side is to space them apart as you like.). If it isn't her book being passed around, it's something like it. After all, there aren't too many families with 19!

• Love 1

The lost air time with Anna and the kids was an attempt to collect an episode check, IMO. Anna had nothing to add, so they made concrete. Big deal.  The kids are growing up and I think Mackynzie resembles Mrs. Kellar. No Duggar looks for her. The little guys are cute too, but I think they might be behavior problems ahead. They seem cranky.

• Love 2

Wow Josh and Anna's little girl likes being clean, doesn't she?

I noticed her almost obsession with that too and Anna was trying to prevent a meltdown you could tell after the cement stuff was done.  I was amazed they did that in the kitchen???  My girlfriend's son loved ice cream cones but in typical fashion he couldn't eat it as fast as it was melting so of course it got on his hands...WOW MAJOR MAJOR MELTDOWN!!!  I said in future how about a spoon and a cup!!  Amazing how kids are just born with this neat freak gene!

But I bet they have behind-the-scenes conversations about what they really want. So they'll keep declaring "As many children as god wants us to have!" and smiling for the cameras.

Agree with this. They both seem pretty tired and worn out -- normal for parents of three little ones who are spaced pretty closely. I imagine the private conversations are along the lines of "Maybe when they're older ... but let's try to wait a bit." I wonder if Smuggar feels pressure to have more pretty quickly, though -- and I imagine if it doesn't happen, they'll worry about speculation that they're using birth control.

• Love 1

It's also possible that there's a health issue. My mother had three that close (without the miscarriage in between) and the doctor told my father in no uncertain terms that a fourth any time soon would kill her.

Josh and Anna aren't in on the compound any more. They likely have excellent benefits, and Anna probably is friendly with women and wives in Josh's office who will tell her where and who is a good doctor. We have plenty of wonderful midwives here in the DC area, but they work in doctors offices and have access to some of the best hospitals in the world. Anna may actually be getting the first real health care of her life.

Doesn't mean it's a big problem, or birth control or anything like that. Just means she is caring for her body so the next baby/babies will be strong and healthy and so will she.

Edited by GEML

It's also possible that there's a health issue. My mother had three that close (without the miscarriage in between) and the doctor told my father in no uncertain terms that a fourth any time soon would kill her.

Josh and Anna aren't in on the compound any more. They likely have excellent benefits, and Anna probably is friendly with women and wives in Josh's office who will tell her where and who is a good doctor. We have plenty of wonderful midwives here in the DC area, but they work in doctors offices and have access to some of the best hospitals in the world. Anna may actually be getting the first real health care of her life.

Doesn't mean it's a big problem, or birth control or anything like that. Just means she is caring for her body so the next baby/babies will be strong and healthy and so will she.

That's certainly a possibility -- that dr's. have told Anna/Josh to wait after 3 quick pregnancies -- however if that's the case, it's definitely something that needs to be kept on the DL from his family. Their view is -- God will protect you no matter what, so go ahead and get pregnant and roll the dice; in some ways they don't "believe" what drs' say because of their belief in God. Michelle trying for babies after Josie and Jubilee kind of proves that. If they were to say to his family -- maybe we'll have more but we're waiting for Anna's blood work to get back to pre pregnancy levels and that's taking time -- I guarantee Michelle and JB would pooh-pooh that fancy DC healthcare and say "what -- we had a child per yr and did fine, y'all are a bunch of sissies."

• Love 2

I feel so bad for those kids, stuck out there with only each other all the time in the middle of nowhere outside DC with no transportation.  No wonder Kenzie wanted to stay in Arkansas!  Anna just seems like the type who would go stir-crazy if her kids went off to school or otherwise had time to themselves.  I noticed in the "Dishin' with the Duggars" flashback that she was all at a loss on her honeymoon because Josh slept later at the Myrtle Beach oceanfront house than she did.  "I didn't know what to do for an hour!"  Um, take a walk on the beach, have a cup of coffee on the balcony, watch the sunrise, read the Bible?  I have never really warmed up to Anna and probably never will, but it looks like we will regularly be treated to scenes of her new life in DC (which could be in Arkansas or anywhere else in the USA).

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 2

That's certainly a possibility -- that dr's. have told Anna/Josh to wait after 3 quick pregnancies -- however if that's the case, it's definitely something that needs to be kept on the DL from his family. Their view is -- God will protect you no matter what, so go ahead and get pregnant and roll the dice; in some ways they don't "believe" what drs' say because of their belief in God. Michelle trying for babies after Josie and Jubilee kind of proves that. If they were to say to his family -- maybe we'll have more but we're waiting for Anna's blood work to get back to pre pregnancy levels and that's taking time -- I guarantee Michelle and JB would pooh-pooh that fancy DC healthcare and say "what -- we had a child per yr and did fine, y'all are a bunch of sissies."

I actually think that Josh could go to Jim Bob and tell him.  I honestly think that these are men who love their wives and would truly be at a loss if anything happened to either of them.  I think Jim Bob was trying to take Michelle to a doctor to tell her something similar, but it was Michelle who completely brushed off the doctor's words.  But could he tell his mother?  Or could Anna say anything?  No way.

I noticed in the "Dishin' with the Duggars" flashback that she was all at a loss on her honeymoon because Josh slept later at the Myrtle Beach oceanfront house than she did. "I didn't know what to do for an hour!" Um, take a walk on the beach, have a cup of coffee on the balcony, watch the sunrise, read the Bible?

I bet she could find use for an extra hour these days.

Edited by RandomX
  • Love 2
I noticed in the "Dishin' with the Duggars" flashback that she was all at a loss on her honeymoon because Josh slept later at the Myrtle Beach oceanfront house than she did. "I didn't know what to do for an hour!" Um, take a walk on the beach, have a cup of coffee on the balcony, watch the sunrise, read the Bible?

The thing is, at this point they hadn't really spent that much time around each other. So she was probably still in that gooey "I want to spend every waking minute with you" phase that us normal women are in during the first few months of dating. My husband and I started long distance and I remember sitting around being bored to tears when I would visit because I'm a much earlier riser. Sure, I could have read or watched tv or played with the dog - but I wanted to spend time with HIM. Sometimes I forget, but these people are so emotionally stunted due to how they were raised, they do everything on a much different timeline.

• Love 1

The thing is, at this point they hadn't really spent that much time around each other. So she was probably still in that gooey "I want to spend every waking minute with you" phase that us normal women are in during the first few months of dating. My husband and I started long distance and I remember sitting around being bored to tears when I would visit because I'm a much earlier riser. Sure, I could have read or watched tv or played with the dog - but I wanted to spend time with HIM. Sometimes I forget, but these people are so emotionally stunted due to how they were raised, they do everything on a much different timeline.

Yes, but...  That wasn't a "waking" minute...  Deal, Anna?

• Love 1

Just re watched their engagement episode. Awkward on so many levels from Anna and her Mom wearing the same top (WTF??) to Josh and Anna not having anything to say after getting engaged except "oh wow" and Josh saying more than once "its half a carat". They sat there like two people who didn't even know each other.

They didn't know each other - they'd been courting and hadn't even been allowed to talk privately or be alone together.

Re NausetGirl: Yes I agree. On top of that, Josh and Anna lived in different states, she in Florida, he is Arkansas. Josh said that they only saw each other twice before he proposed and that they only talked over the phone during the "long months" of courtship. Why didn't Josh hightail it down there and work for Mr. Kellar so HE could be close to Anna and live in their pop up camper in the yard? Or, why couldn't Anna have moved into the Duggar Guest Suite on their property? It's not like she had to go to work or school or anything... so why is a 4 HOUR trip too far for Ben and Jessa? As far as not being in the same state, time involved, it was Josh and Anna who win the "marry a stranger" trophy. I do declare, when he proposed to her in that restaurant, I thought she was going to jump him or need a towel to wipe the drip down her legs...she did an amazing job looking just like a starving for a kiss young woman. So sad to put themselves through that nonsense. A little affection genuinely between two young people who care for each other goes a long way and is a healthy thing.

I'm also so glad that Anna got rid of that "wet look, spit slicked down jeri--curl" hair do. She has thin and fine hair to begin with and it looked awful on her. Her sisters in law, Duggar, sported the same look just like their mama. Glad they switched to the "dry, straighter look". Now to get them to donate their yards and yards of hair to LOCKS OF LOVE, that would truly be a Christian charitable thing to do. I hope Josh reads this blog too....a great organization that would help many women who maye can't grow it back like the Duggar women can. I'll stay tuned and see if they do something truly selfless like that....Any bets?

• Love 3

Oh, Smuggar...

I'm watching one of the "look back" episodes, where they build the basketball court and find out about Josie and the Red Neck water slide (that really needs to be a book title). Anyway, Josh starts bragging that, he wouldn't want to build a house, but he's pretty sure if he contracted it out, he could totes supervise and know if the contractor was lying. (Pause)

God these people are delusional. Joshie, you were a smug, man-child who is the son of a man that took 3 years to build a third of a house and had to have a major corporation finish the job. You have zero credibility.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 3

I actually normally like Anna. I do think she's a great mom.  But "Dishing with the Duggars" this past week and a half, what the hell happened to her? She layered her face with spray tan and thick foundation.  Then used said foundation for lipstick! Scary!

• Love 1
On top of that, Josh and Anna lived in different states, she in Florida, he is Arkansas. Josh said that they only saw each other twice before he proposed and that they only talked over the phone during the "long months" of courtship. Why didn't Josh hightail it down there and work for Mr. Kellar so HE could be close to Anna and live in their pop up camper in the yard? Or, why couldn't Anna have moved into the Duggar Guest Suite on their property? It's not like she had to go to work or school or anything... so why is a 4 HOUR trip too far for Ben and Jessa?

I'll tell you why - because back then they weren't as desperate for new storylines as they are now. 

• Love 3

I also think that Jim Bob didn't think that Ben was sufficiently learning how to support Jessa with what he was doing under "the umbrella of authority" of his own father.  So if he's going to be brought in to be essentially the newest face of the Duggars, he might as well test out if he can cut it or not before they make anything official.

I would have thought that, except that he had to have known about Jill. Yes, it came out of the blue to us, but it was something he knew about a long time. I really think, especially after the rant, that as far as arranged marriages go, Jessa and Ben are saying they really want to get married.

If all the women give their hair to a charity that makes wigs for children that does not charge them then the charity would be so far ahead of the game. But since the Gothard cult believes that keeping their hair long for I don't know what reason????

Mackynzie might be my favorite Duggar. She's adorable and I love how she doesn't like to get messy. (Her reactions to making the paver stone - "mommy, I need a towel. mommy, I need a towel now!" - made me laugh out loud.) Good luck, Mackynzie. You'll probably need it.

• Love 1

Almost every fundamentalist group out there wears long hair.  Many pull it up over or cover it so the hair can only be seen by their husbands, but it's almost always long.  This would include not only Gothard, but also Pentecostals, Amish, quite a few traditional sects of mainstream churches.  The only exceptions that I can think of are Orthodox Judaism, which shaves their head so they can wear wigs because their heads must be covered at all times to anyone except their husbands and this was several different sects way of doing so, and Catholic nuns in very strict orders that still wear the coif do this as well -- the shaving or close cutting so that their heads are covered.  The fact that Gothard has instructions to men saying that they must make allowances for women to take time to do their hair shows that this is about much more than Jim Bob.

But he must like that 80's spiral perm and crunchy bangs, because why on earth would Michelle still be wearing it?  Not even Bill Gothard can be fully responsible for that!  :)

The fact that Gothard has instructions to men saying that they must make allowances for women to take time to do their hair shows that this is about much more than Jim Bob.

I won't argue that, but the reason actually given on the show for why they all have the same hairstyle is because "Daddy likes it that way."  I believe it was Jill who said that.  Might have been any of the older girls, though; they really all did look damn near identical in the ankle-length denim skirt and Ramen hair days.

I won't argue that, but the reason actually given on the show for why they all have the same hairstyle is because "Daddy likes it that way." I believe it was Jill who said that. Might have been any of the older girls, though; they really all did look damn near identical in the ankle-length denim skirt and Ramen hair days.

No matter how many times I read it or hear it, "daddy likes it that way" never loses its creepiness. And ramen hair! I love it!

• Love 8

I can't believe that Jim Bob likes his wife to look awful, outdated and outright frumpy. His daughters could use about a foot or more cut off the bottom of those mops. Sorry, but when it always hangs on top of food when cooking or eating, it's a mop, IMO. Some of the girls have grown their hair longer than ever, that I remember reaching their waists. Michelle, well, we know what we'd like to do with her and a scissor. I recently saw a photo of Michelle before she had a chance to color her hair.. boy, is that woman gray.

• Love 1

No matter how many times I read it or hear it, "daddy likes it that way" never loses its creepiness. And ramen hair! I love it!

Ain't that the truth, gives me the shivers every time I hear it and makes my skin crawl wondering what Daddy is thinking of his own female children!

Ugh, I can't believe I'm going to admit this but Josh and Anna annoy me a lot less than they used to. I still hate the hate group he works for, but if he wasn't trying to legislate his beliefs onto me I wouldn't have a problem with them at all.

Anna is clearly a great mom. Her scenes are natural, unlike Michelle's fake-bonding ones. I hope they don't pop them out assembly line style. I think they both realize the fantasy of "as many as god wants" may not the best thing for their existing family.

I also think moving to DC was the best thing they could have done. Good for Josh to not just tow the family line, live in his grandma's house, work his father's business. I have no illusions that they are some beacon of liberalism, but maybe, just maybe, they're not quite as insane as Boob and Mullet.

• Love 4

I can't believe that Jim Bob likes his wife to look awful, outdated and outright frumpy. His daughters could use about a foot or more cut off the bottom of those mops. Sorry, but when it always hangs on top of food when cooking or eating, it's a mop, IMO. Some of the girls have grown their hair longer than ever, that I remember reaching their waists. Michelle, well, we know what we'd like to do with her and a scissor. I recently saw a photo of Michelle before she had a chance to color her hair.. boy, is that woman gray.

I'm sure to Jim Boob, she doesn't look outdated because she looks just like she looked when he fell in love with her. And she probably keeps up that style to just for him.

• Love 2

I have been observing Josh and Anna since they moved to DC. As time passed, I began to notice a little divide between Josh's household and his parents'. I have been noticing some line of demarcation being drawn in Josh's mind...he seems to be concerned about himself, Anna and their kids and views own family as his priority now. When Jim Bob told them about Jill and Derick "getting the mansion" to live in, I could see Josh's disappointment,, not jealousy, but disappointment in his father showing priority for Jill. I think he felt that he didn't measure up to Dad, and that solidified his "it's you and me, now Anna" attitude. I was glad to see that as separation is a good thing for him. I hope he continues to grow, learn and mature and that he especially encourages (excuse the term) Anna to do the same. Continuing his parents' baby train is nonsense and they need to have a manageable family; one that won't wring Anna out physically and emotionally, and one that wouldn't bankrupt Josh. I guess I'm trying to be optimistic about him. He doesn't seem to be such a 'know it all" like he was when he was younger... I guess we all live and learn in life and he is/will too.

• Love 4

Imo, Josh is toeing the family line but in a different way. He still likes the five minute of fame, and he would be no where without his family name and his parents being major famewhores. He and Anna are the younger version of Jim Bob and Michelle. They actually believe they are celebrities who are making their own mark in the world. And if it is the you and me, now Anna attitude then why is one or more of his sisters helping Anna take care of the kids because she cannot handle the three kids by herself. That does not scream independence to me.

When Anna was making stepping stones with the kiddos, she makes a comment that since they home-school, they can do hands on projects/crafts. She comes across that only home-schooled children have time to do them. Well Anna, that's not so. Not home-schooled kids make crafts at home, school, church, scouts etc. Her & Smuggar come across that they are the first parents to have their kiddos eat healthy (ha ha), go to a library (have they been in one in DC?), buy kids clothing at thrift stores, etc. Too bad Mackynzie can't go to a Christian/church preschool a few mornings a week. She seems like a smart little girl who would enjoy playing with others or (gasp) make a new friend. But who am I kidding, it will never happen. Just hope she wont follow in the footsteps of her older aunts & become an M'slave.

• Love 5

Her & Smuggar come across that they are the first parents to have their kiddos eat healthy

I do seem to recall them talking about eating healthy while they showed her in the kitchen sliding yet another batch of frozen food onto a cookie sheet and into the oven! Josh and Anna will always have to watch their weight and if they are eating out of a box so will those kids.  That turkey dinner was evidence enough of poor eating with a turkey that wasn't even big enough to feed the kids let alone adults, boxed stuffing and boxed potatoes.  The peanut butter is likely the kind full of sugar and salt, jelly full of sugar and put it on white bread and wow, what a healthy lunch!

• Love 1