Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I would bet that there is some measure of natural family planning or at least natural ovulation awareness going on in that house. Kudos to them if so! Have kids but don't feel the need to pump them out at breakneck speed.

• Love 1

As radical as they are, I am hoping Smugs has been befriending some coworkers at FRC and that they are smacking some sense into him regarding having a boatload of kids.

I would hope so. I don't think JoshAnna will have more than six, which is a small number for their belief system. If they have another boy after Marcus that will cinch it even further because they won't have built in M'Slaves to run the house for them. 

• Love 1

Wow, that's interesting that they felt the need to make that  statement on their website.

That's a website site run by two fans, but they are sometimes privy to little nuggets of info that the Duggars give them to leak.

Supposedly the two fans went to the wedding and actually asked Anna if she was expecting.

That's not tacky at all.... but thanks for assuaging all of our curiosities, mildly invasive fans...

• Love 4

I would be irritated as all heck if I was constantly asked if I was pregnant, or when the next baby was coming.  But they created this life by speaking up, in the public, that this is the way to go and this is the way God shows His blessings to them.  So they get the constant questions and everyone looks at her belly.   That can't be fun.

I get asked that question enough by my small-ish group of friends & acquaintances (which is super fun when I actually am, but don't care to announce yet), I would be so irritated if complete strangers were doing it. But, agreed that if you're going to make your family's primary marketing strategy that you don't use birth control, you have to be prepared for it.

When I was newly married (this has a connection to Josh & Anna, I promise), I had all sorts of ideas about things I was going to do because my mom had always done them. Of course I'm going to cook great meals, of course I'm going to bake bread like she always did, of course other things not related to food... and then real life set in, and I realized those things are hard and kind of annoying sometimes, and developing those habits takes time, and not all of them are really me. So, I kind of wonder if the same might be happening for Josh & Anna and/or future married Duggars. It sounds great to say "We're going to let God control our fertility like our parents did!" and so on, but then you do it and you have 3 kids under 3 and you're like "This blows. Whose dumb idea was this?".

Of course, this is why parents make clear that their kids need to make their own decisions about things, something that JB & M say they do but I'm skeptical.

• Love 5
(edited)

Smuggar and Anna were standing right behind the tea party loser for the Republican nomination for Senate in Mississippi. Saw this on the news tonight. They were both standing there looking like a couple of bobble heads as the candidate made a speech. She was wearing an orange maternity top, though it's impossible to say if she's preggars. Guess part of his job is to be photographed with the most conservative politicos.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 2

Josh's Tea Party buddy (he, Mullet and Boob campaigned for him in MS the week before Jill's wedding) is protesting the validity of the election. Apparently, MS is an open primary state and he's claiming that the opponent, the Senate incumbent, got Democrats to request Republican ballots to vote for the guy. Uhm dude, that's how open primaries work. You'd think that being a state senator, making laws for his state, he'd know that.

Sore loser. Keep up the good work Duggars! Their record when openly supporting candidates is 0 - a whole lot.

Makes you wonder if Michelle is starting to get irritated that there is no "M" tribute to her, yet. You know it's coming. 

Remember when Joshie promised Meredith Viera that they'd use her name? I think Mullet's head would explode if there was a little Meredith before a little Michelle. 

I'm guessing little Meredith - or, if they follow the Mackynzie naming style, Meredyth/Merydith - won't happen now that Vieira is no longer hosting the Today Show and they can't get publicity out of her allegience to them. 

I was grossed out majorly when Meredith told them she'd send them a good baby present if they named Mack "Meredith," but if they named her "Mary" they got nothing.  Maybe she just didn't know that Mary was the baby's great-grandmother's name, but given how much time she spent up the Duggars' asses, I find it hard to believe that she never met Mrs. Duggar. 

Really, I wish they WOULD name one of them Mary.  God knows if anyone deserves it, it's her.  Maybe Mary Michelle...having to share a name with the mother-in-law would send Michelle through the roof.  I'd love to see her try to pretend to be enthusiastic while seething.  (I always enjoy seeing Michelle do that.  Maybe I'm a mean person.  Don't really care.)

I expected nothing less from a Duggar-supported candidate than not knowing how elections and democracy actually work, and whining that it's a bad system when it doesn't go their way.  That's Duggar behavior to a tee.

• Love 5

I am under the opinion that Josh's job consists of public appearances.   Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but let's just all be realistic about it.  I just hope Josh and Anna are stashing their extra money as a future nest egg for when they have a zillion children and no income.  Fame is fleeting.  Celebrity spokesman lose their status at the drop of a hat once they quit doing whatever it is that makes them famous. 19 kids and counting won't last forever.

One thing that has been bothering me:  Josh and Anna were renting this first house up North. They painted that extra room (the Jim Bob and Michelle romantic getaway room) and installed cabinets. Wonder how the landlord felt about that?

• Love 1

Makes you wonder if Michelle is starting to get irritated that there is no "M" tribute to her, yet. You know it's coming. 

I wonder if she thinks that all the "M" names are a tribute to her?!

• Love 3

Here's a link showing them there. I didn't bother to play the video; I've already seen portions of the speech. You don't have to play the video to see Josh behind the candidate's left shoulder.

Ugh. There was never a more appropriate nickname for a person than Smuggar.

• Love 5

Really, I wish they WOULD name one of them Mary.  God knows if anyone deserves it, it's her.  Maybe Mary Michelle...having to share a name with the mother-in-law would send Michelle through the roof.  I'd love to see her try to pretend to be enthusiastic while seething.  (I always enjoy seeing Michelle do that.  Maybe I'm a mean person.  Don't really care.)

Hi All - 

I have been reading the Duggar forums for years over at TWOP and have never commented - But for this one I had to - LOL

Mary Michele is my mothers name. Not two names that always go together, so when I saw this comment it made me laugh a little bit. However, my mother hates the name Mary and goes by her middle name Michele or Missy. (my grandmother, who's name was also Mary did not care for it either, but hated her middle name Florence even more - LOL) My grandfather wanted to name my mother after my grandmother so she said fine, but we are not calling her Mary - They actually called her Micky for the first year of her life, but she had two maiden aunts who could never remember her name and would call her "the little Missy" and Missy just kind of stuck - 

(edited)

Welcome LuckyMommy! Hopefully you feel free to post here without the ever watchful eye of TWOP mods around ready to pounce on any unsuspecting poster for no reason. 

Everyone here is very chill, which is nice and rare for a forum about this show. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 3

I am under the opinion that Josh's job consists of public appearances.   Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but let's just all be realistic about it.  I just hope Josh and Anna are stashing their extra money as a future nest egg for when they have a zillion children and no income.  Fame is fleeting.  Celebrity spokesman lose their status at the drop of a hat once they quit doing whatever it is that makes them famous. 19 kids and counting won't last forever.

One thing that has been bothering me:  Josh and Anna were renting this first house up North. They painted that extra room (the Jim Bob and Michelle romantic getaway room) and installed cabinets. Wonder how the landlord felt about that?

What exactly is Josh's title again?

Well, we don't technically know what Josh does or doesn't do on a daily basis; it just seems from what they put up in public, that it involves a lot more "appearances" and vacation time, than actual work. Of course it might appear the same way for most of us, nobody cares about social media posts like "Just spent 8 hours working on paperwork", so most people don't post those things... I'm somewhat hesitant to say that he does nothing based on the little we know. It's fair to say he absolutely got the job for his name over any potential skills, but he could very well be doing work behind the scenes that they don't bother to share with us.

.... and back to the fascinating job of a housewife, like cleaning up my kitchen. #glamorous

• Love 1

Josh's Tea Party buddy (he, Mullet and Boob campaigned for him in MS the week before Jill's wedding) is protesting the validity of the election. Apparently, MS is an open primary state and he's claiming that the opponent, the Senate incumbent, got Democrats to request Republican ballots to vote for the guy. Uhm dude, that's how open primaries work. You'd think that being a state senator, making laws for his state, he'd know that.

Sore loser. Keep up the good work Duggars! Their record when openly supporting candidates is 0 - a whole lot.

I'm convinced that the majority of today's politicians failed civics. They get even the most basic of things wrong.

• Love 2

Does anyone really care if Anna pops out another GrandDuggar? That's old news. Now, the Dill pregnancy announcement will be the new thing. 

I don't care about any of their expecting/ "gender reveal" announcements, To tell the truth-I'm bored to death with them. yawn.

• Love 1

There is a family picture from Dill's wedding and Anna looks great! Very slim actually.  I think her boobs have grown because of multiple pregnancies and years of nursing and maybe she just can't fit into the smaller shirts she owns so she continues to wear maternity.  Those maternity cut shirts plus any bit of paunch (or even a heavy lunch) can make you look 3 months pregnant. 

She also probably can't ditch maternity wear because she's ever hopeful for another blessing.  I have four kids, the only reason #3 and #4 got any fanfare was because they were twins.  Make the announcement on your website, don't bring in NBC for it.

I can't stand defending Anna, but whoever asked her at the wedding if she was pregnant was beyond tacky.  The only good way to ask a woman if she's pregnant is if she's crowning, IMO

Also, I tend to lean Libertarian and conservative for some things, but if I was a smart politician, I would see Josh Duggar, or hell any Duggar, heading towards my campaign and put out a restraining order.  These people have the opposite effect on a political campaign.  Which is not necessarily bad, but from the politician's standpoint, definitely :-p

• Love 3

Saw pics of TLC filming them in DC today. Anna was in her wedding shoes and her outfit didn't flatter her like the higher waisted bridesmaid dress did. I have a feeling there IS an announcement in the offing. Otherwise, what IS there to film (we see them at a monument with Rotan and at a farmer's market with the "kiddos" and more crew). Boooooring!

I don't like the tea party promoting politicians, only policies.   And the Duggar concerns are not the tea party concerns.  If I was a candidate, I'd request they vamoose and not campaign for me, or make clear abortion is settled by SCOTUS for many years now.  All you can do is play at the edges, or prosecute murder at 9 months like the doc in NewYork.  I do think Anna is pg, and she went on and on about wanting to be pregnant when the youngest was still an infant.

I remember people always asking when I was going to have a baby.  I never did.   I finally started asking why they thought it was their business or simply saying it was rude of them to ask.  I got really tired of it.  And I've never weighed even 100 lbs, so it wasn't because I was pudgy, it was just that they thought I ought to have some kids.

• Love 5

Anna has said before that single women NEED a career, whereas she has a marriage -- i.e. she has a purpose and a paycheck. Good for her I guess. In the real world a woman who took that attitude (and there are some that do) would be open to single woman bragging about their freedom and all their boyfriends and wild nights. Heck a rude "friend" who has that married lady attitude because she has been married for a year and has a baby said something to me about "you do want to get married and settle down" in a pointed, judgy tone as I was talking about maybe applying for a job that requires a ton of travel and I shot back "I could be traveling the nation for a year or two, do I want to give that up to wash baby bottles right now, not really." It shut her up -- as it would for many -- though I guess in the Duggar world it would be reason for punishment, retreats etc.

• Love 3

In a round about way, she has a job in the dog and pony show by poping out the kiddies as much as possible, look at her husband while he talks like he is God, go along with the stupid storylines, and she and the hubby gets a paycheck from TLC.

(edited)

I like Josh and Anna's house and the way it's laid out and decorated. I really like the fact that their childlren are not all crammed into one room the way the Duggar parents have always done, no matter where they lived. I might be in the minority here, but I find Josh and Anna more likeable and also to be better parents than Michelle and Jim Bob. They're more relaxed and hands-on. It was a nice smile from Marcus, and amazing to see how big he's already gotten. Josh is smug, agreed, but I don't think he's nearly as full of himself as Jim Bob is. And Anna is by far a much better mom than probably Michelle ever was, even prior to her nervous breakdown.

Anna doesn't look pregnant to me. Just maybe a little leftover belly from having 3 kids in close succession. Living far away from their built in help might slow down their goal to have as many children as the Lord gives them. Having to do it all of their own has probably been a big eye-opener for them. BTW, does anyone know if they bought that house or are they renting it? And what town is it in...I remember the realtor told them they'd have an hour commute. 

Better parents?  I think it's way too early to say that yet.  They only have 3 kids as of now - and from what I've heard are in vastly-improved financial circumstances compared to what JB and M had at the same point.  In general, unless something significant occurs, people tend to be the same kind of parents as their parents were.  Remember I said - in general.

Edited by NausetGirl

Smug is a younger version of JimBoob. He thinks he is a big shot in D.C., and people hang on his every word. Anna thinks she is a celebrity in D.C. The poor girl believes her husband is making a difference, but in reality, he is making a bigger ass of himself. I also would not go to these two for parenting advice.

Smuggar must be thrilled by the Supreme Court's "Hobby Lobby" decision exempting some private companies from covering birth control in their health insurance plans. More blessings for everyone--especially poor working women.

• Love 2

Smuggar must be thrilled by the Supreme Court's "Hobby Lobby" decision exempting some private companies from covering birth control in their health insurance plans. More blessings for everyone--especially poor working women.

Hobby Lobby will cover all FDA-approved birth control methods, including oral contraceptives, except Plan B, Next Choice, and Ella (which are "morning after"-type pills), and IUDs, because those are all potentially abortifacient. 

• Love 3

If you want to discuss something political but cannot tie it directly to the Duggars and their extended family, please take the conversation elsewhere. 

Thanks.

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing. I do not understand why the Duggars pretend Josh works so hard. He only got the job because of his family's name and not because of his hard work ethics.