Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

As much as Jim Bob and Mechelle follow a terrible twisting of a faith, there are cheaters and molesters in all walks of life. While I can see part of it maybe being his upbringing, I mostly blame Josh for his disgusting actions. Because you don't have to be a member of a wackadoo splinter of Christianity to be a child molester or adulterer. You just have to be an asshole.

I agree with your POV 100 percent. We have free will and moral compasses as adults, and people who live their lives blaming their problems or failures on the sins or foibles of their fathers are fooling themselves.

However...(ha!)... when people choose to raise children in a vacuum of their choosing -- demonizing or excluding normal human curiosity or healthy emotional outlets, for example -- some, but not all, offspring will be damaged for the rest of their entire lives.

To heal, these people will need to first acknowledge their belief system/upbringing was flawed and wrong (very hard to do!) and then actively work on getting out of their mindsets.

IOW, these adult "kids" have to be willing to work hard to change how they've thought and lived their entire lives. But they need a viable (to them) incentive. What woukd be Josh Duggar's incentive to break away, to become an independent thinker?

I cannot bear Josh Duggar; and his intolerance and hatefulness toward others, as a CAREER!, sickens me. But I do recognize that his incestuous emotional and financial ties to dad and mom are superhard to overcome. Maybe impossible.

What is Anna supposed to do now? She is in Hell, I am sure.

• Love 5
And I can't wait until women he's encountered via the site start talking and talking....

Boy, I don't know if I'd ever want to admit I hooked up with him if I were one of them.  Hopefully anybody he tried to apply his fundie charm to took one look and ran in the other direction.  

Damn - ole Josh is just the gift that keeps on giving.

• Love 5

The only good thing is that there are no children involved. 

This is all adults, right?

Assuming this is true, what a piece of shit. 

I was raised a Fundamentalist and it wouldn't surprise me if Anna did leave. THIS is not acceptable unless you are a complete lunatic and I don't think Anna or her parents are that crazy. 

Adultery is not taken lightly by most people (including fundamentalists). The molestation case was years ago so they are getting by on "he is forgiven" crap.  This?  Josh is in big trouble with his fundie friends now. 

Not a fan of Mechelle and Jim Bob but I think they are FURIOUS at this garbage. No one wants their son to be involved in this with a decent wife and four little kids. 

Not to mention they can never rehab their image now or their pocketbook. 

The churches I went to practice Biblical shunning.  Josh needs to be shunned.  I have seen people shunned for adultery. 

• Love 11

If Josh did manage to hook up with someone wouldn't it be a great risk that this person would know who he was and leak it to the press?

Why wouldn't he use a prepaid visa to pay for the services or at least not use his real name? He is such a dumbass.

I have no idea how this Ashely Madison website works though.

• Love 1

I also have a $20/mo membership to Weight Watchers online that I haven't cancelled yet and haven't followed recently, because you know, I'm gonna start the program again tomorrow/next week/etc.

I have the six Audible credits saved up to buy that italian course I keep saying I'm going to do and I keep buying random books because you can only save six at a time.

• Love 5

Ok, so I know Anna's dad is a big guy in Gothardland, but is there any possibility that he might be so outraged at what his son-in-law has put his daughter though that he'd actually encourage Anna to divorce Josh? I know they don't believe in divorce, but maybe her dad would be so upset by what Josh has done to his little girl that he'd think this was some special case where divorce would be justified? I mean, these religious fanatics often think that the rules apply to everyone but themselves, so maybe he'd be upset enough to decide the rules didn't apply in Anna's situation. Yes, it'd be hypocrisy but it would also be amazing if someone from her family would encourage Anna to leave him. I know she has no education and no way to support herself long-term, but she's way luckier than many women in similar situations because she has some reality TV exposure - surely she can do some interviews, write a tell-all, and maybe even get her own reality show to support her while she gets some sort of education/career going and sues Josh for child support (and alimony, if Arkansas is a state where she'd be given alimony).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 1

Ok, so I know Anna's dad is a big guy in Gothardland, but is there any possibility that he might be so outraged at what his son-in-law has put his daughter though that he'd actually encourage Anna to divorce Josh? I know they don't believe in divorce, but maybe her dad would be so upset by what Josh has done to his little girl that he'd think this was some special case where divorce would be justified? I mean, these religious fanatics often think that the rules apply to everyone but themselves, so maybe he'd be upset enough to decide the rules didn't apply in Anna's situation. Yes, it'd be hypocrisy but it would also be amazing if someone from her family would encourage Anna to leave him. I know she has no education and no way to support herself, but she's way luckier than many women in similar situations because she has some reality TV exposure - surely she can do some interviews, write a tell-all, and maybe even get her own reality show to support her while she gets some sort of education/career going and sues Josh for child support (and alimony, if Arkansas is a state where she'd be given alimony).

Makes me wonder if the Duggars are isolating Anna from her family.

Hopefully someone gets a decent attorney on the phone for Anna. The Duggar brand earned millions and she is entitled to a piece of that now soured pie. Plus, alimony and child support for 4 children.

• Love 8

This would be unbelievably delicious. If it didn't make me want to vomit. But the fall out is going to be like my birthday, the Fourth of July and Christmas, all wrapped up in one joyous, loud explosion!

• Love 14

People is finally reporting this 

http://www.people.com/article/josh-duggar-ashley-madison-account-cheating-molestation-scandal

Pertinent info: 

Duggar's family has been struggling to move on after the cancellation of their hit TLC show 19 Kids and Counting in the wake of his initial scandal. And now, a source who has worked with the family says the latest allegations will likely only cement the network's decision to end their relationship with the Duggars.

"It was pretty improbable that there were going to be any specials on any of the Duggars anyway," the source tells PEOPLE. "But now, with this, there's virtually no chance. It's basically just over now."

A rep for the Duggars did not immediately respond to calls for comment.

• Love 11

The only good thing is that there are no children involved.

This is all adults, right?

Assuming this is true, what a piece of shit.

I was raised a Fundamentalist and it wouldn't surprise me if Anna did leave. THIS is not acceptable unless you are a complete lunatic and I don't think Anna or her parents are that crazy.

Adultery is not taken lightly by most people (including fundamentalists). The molestation case was years ago so they are getting by on "he is forgiven" crap. This? Josh is in big trouble with his fundie friends now.

Not a fan of Mechelle and Jim Bob but I think they are FURIOUS at this garbage. No one wants their son to be involved in this with a decent wife and four little kids.

Not to mention they can never rehab their image now or their pocketbook.

The churches I went to practice Biblical shunning. Josh needs to be shunned. I have seen people shunned for adultery.

In Gothardism, adultery is not a reason to end a marriage, and if for some reason the marriage does end (at the action of a non-Gothard spouse), the Gothardist spouse is not to marry again. No remarriage after divorce. Period. I posted on a 19KAC threat a month or so ago about my friend who was marrying again after her husband cheated on her. Gothardites got to the couple the *night before the wedding* and talked them out of marrying. She has shared this righteousness -- "my story" -- in IBLP publications. She will not attend marriage-after-divorce weddings and will not do wedding work for such couples. The first thing she asks a potential wedding client is whether they've been divorced.

Anna is stuck with this mindest.

Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Love 4

Where are the Kellers? Does JD have enough seats in his plane to take Anna and the kids to them?

The longer Josh takes to make a statement, the more the report seems true. Even 'the allegations are false, I have nothing further to say at this time'.

• Love 1

So does this mean no special with Jill and Jessa that was planned? That upcoming therapy show, or whatever it was? If so, I'd be contemplating murder were I either of them. Josh better sleep with one eye open.

Agreed with the above poster, no statement from Smugs is bad. Maybe first thing tomorrow morning would be okay, but clock's ticking for a graceful denial.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

Ok, so I know Anna's dad is a big guy in Gothardland, but is there any possibility that he might be so outraged at what his son-in-law has put his daughter though that he'd actually encourage Anna to divorce Josh? I know they don't believe in divorce, but maybe her dad would be so upset by what Josh has done to his little girl that he'd think this was some special case where divorce would be justified?

I was never involved in Gothard so I can't speak for that group.

BUT, fundamentalists allow divorce under certain circumstances. Adultery is one.

AND, while divorce might be very drastic, Anna is allowed to walk out. 

Again, Don't know Gothard but the fundamentalist Baptist churches I went to always had some single mothers. My parents were separated, not divorced. 

I really think Josh might be shunned and Anna might leave. Cheating is really a HUGE rule to break. There are always those crazies in every religion that stay no matter what horrible thing a man does but I don't know if Anna is that crazy. 

Depending how the religious beliefs work exactly, Josh might get a visit from church elders who are going to confront his sin. I hope so!

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1

Is Josh really THIS dumb??

I mean I guess I know the answer. When he got the job in DC, he should have breathed a sigh of relief knowing he "got away" with the molestation -- nothing came out in the employer's background check etc. But then he should have gone to DC knowing that it is pretty common to dig up dirt on anyone whose politics you don't like; people don't like his families "conservative" -- no abortions ever, all LGBT people are pedophiles -- kind of politics PLUS he and his family are C list public figures. He had to know that people wouldn't like that he got a 150k job with a hate group while having no education/credentials to speak of -- and thus they'd be gunning for him to make him look bad -- whether that meant exposing the molestation or anything else he did.

So given that background why the eff does he sign up on Ashley Madison?? No matter what assurances they give you, in this day and age, what website is secure and totally hacker proof. Heck - if Sony, Anthem, and the federal government can be hit by hackers -- he didn't think some random affairs website could ever be hit?? If he was so desperate for sex, weren't there other ways to get it?? People have been having affairs since the dawn of time -- they picked up women in different places; they didn't sign up on an internet service using their real name and a credit card that could be tracked back to them in 2 seconds by anyone with a grudge.

Maybe it's just simple arrogance (combined with stupidity). He sure as heck came across as an arrogant little piss-ant in the Kids and Moving special, which happened pretty much in the midst of the molestation mess. If he could come across then as arrogant, haughty and apparently convinced that the world was his oyster and his dark secrets would never come to light, it seems as if he could make the same arrogant assumptions at any other time. Not least when getting the FRC job may have inflated his ego even more.

• Love 8

Where are the Kellers? Does JD have enough seats in his plane to take Anna and the kids to them?

The longer Josh takes to make a statement, the more the report seems true. Even 'the allegations are false, I have nothing further to say at this time'.

JD wouldn't help Anna and the kids escape the Duggars. JD is a spoiled brat who gets to play dress up each day (I'm a pilot today, daddy. Tomorrow I get to play police officer!). He'll tow family line as he has benefited the most from the fruits.

Hopefully she is on the phone right now with her siblings that are out of the cult -- maybe the one that had the baby out of wedlock.

• Love 4

In Gothardism, adultery is not a reason to end a marriage, and if for some reason the marriage does end (at the action of a non-Gothard spouse), the Gothardist spouse is not to marry again. No remarriage after divorce. Period. I posted on a 19KAC threat a month or so ago about my friend who was marrying again after her husband cheated on her. Gothardites got to the couple the *night before the wedding* and talked them out of marrying. She has shared this righteousness -- "my story" -- in IBLP publications. She will not attend marriage-after-divorce weddings and will not do wedding work for such couples. The first thing she asks a potential wedding client is whether they've been divorced.

I think Josh really wanted to go to university at UofA and be a college guy who had plenty of girlfriends/sex.

His sub-par education at SODRT and parents' cult's dislike for higher education meant that this wasn't going to happen. Some guys (and girls) need to have those "Me Years" where they are finding out who they are and what they like through education, parties, experimentation, dating (and maybe random hook-ups), and other fun stuff before they are ready to commit to a life & family with another person. Had it been expected or even just acceptable for Josh to go have something close to the average away-from home college experience (or heck, even some more common life experiences that the average teen/young adult in the U.S. has), I think he would have been better prepared to make a commitment to Anna or anyone else to make a life & family together.

Please note that I am NOT excusing him, though. He's an adult and at any point could have said that he wasn't happy only having one sex partner forever, manned up, and filed for divorce before he cheated (or tried to cheat). He also could have quit his job at the FRC if he knew he didn't want to abide by so-called "family values."

• Love 8

Yup - no actual education plus getting away with molesting your sisters and another girl and being featured on a television show?  Yup, I bet it never even crossed his pea brain that he'd ever get caught, he probably thought he was invincible.  

• Love 9

I think Mechelle and Jim Bob might kick Josh out for preservation of their own self and the remaining kids in the home. Josh is a bowling ball pulling them under. I bet they push him overboard real fast.

Jim Bob might be a jerk etc but he is a shrewd business man.  Joshie cost them their TV show.  Now this crap? Josh might be out on his ass. 

• Love 3

I think Mechelle and Jim Bob might kick Josh out for preservation of their own self and the remaining kids in the home. Josh is a bowling ball pulling them under. I bet they push him overboard real fast.

Jim Bob might be a jerk etc but he is a shrewd business man. Joshie cost them their TV show. Now this crap? Josh might be out on his ass.

I can actually imagine Jim Bob wanting to punch Joshua for this. The family was so very close to repairing their brand and their relationship with TLC.
  • Love 9

So does this mean no special with Jill and Jessa that was planned? That upcoming therapy show, or whatever it was? If so, I'd be contemplating murder were I either of them. Josh better sleep with one eye open.

The girls insist that they suffered no harm and have completely forgiven Josh for molesting them.  However, I think this is right - Josh killing their television career is probably a hanging offense in their eyes.  How sad.  They value money over everything else.

Edited by MonicaM
  • Love 6

I think Mecelle and Jim Bob were STUNNED at how fast they lost  their show and their status.

They won't make the same mistake twice. Bye bye Josh! 

Money talks and Josh is a cheater. 

• Love 9

Yes, but I think it's also relevant to note that up until the security breach last month Ashley Madison was widely known as a safe spot for spouses who wanted to step out for some sexy time. So while he may look like a raging idiot tonight (I mean, even more than usual), I think he and a lot of other users probably felt very assured in the moment that their privacy was going to be protected and something like this would never ever go down. 

I can't imagine how many people are absolutely shitting themselves tonight waiting for the shoe to drop on them, too. It won't be nearly as spectacular as this - so for that they should send Josh some fruit baskets and cookies - but, yeah. He won't be alone for long.

• Love 8

Josh never got any pussy from Ashley Madison.  There are only a few women on there and they had lots of options.  

The "guaranteed affair" is a money back offer, not an actual promise of sex. 

Anna Duggar needs to for once in her sad life get some fucking self-respect.

Josh didn't try and cheat because Anna was bad in bed.  He tried to cheat because he is Josh Duggar, a complete and total self-serving asshole.  

I strongly suspect that Josh never cheated, even though he was desperate for some side pussy.  He comes across as a creep/douchebag on both sites.  

• Love 17

Yes, but I think it's also relevant to note that up until the security breach last month Ashley Madison was widely known as a safe spot for spouses who wanted to step out for some sexy time. So while he may look like a raging idiot tonight (I mean, even more than usual), I think he and a lot of other users probably felt very assured in the moment that their privacy was going to be protected and something like this would never ever go down. 

I can't imagine how many people are absolutely shitting themselves tonight waiting for the shoe to drop on them, too. It won't be nearly as spectacular as this - so for that they should send Josh some fruit baskets and cookies - but, yeah. He won't be alone for long.

It seems like a bunch of people who signed up on AM used their own email addresses and/or credit card details, so Josh wasn't the only one stupid enough to do that.

I did laugh a bit at the guy who said he signed up using his work email, but couldn't access the service because it was blocked by his workplace. Heh.

• Love 2

Jim Bob might be a jerk etc but he is a shrewd business man.  Joshie cost them their TV show.  Now this crap? Josh might be out on his ass. 

Josh should have been removed from the home when he was a teen. There is no point in removing him now, it's done. If JB sets Josh adrift, Josh's only way to make money is to whistle blow as much as he can for $. He has to be careful with the lawsuit pending though so that limits his threat.

• Love 7

Weren't there reports he was hanging out in strip clubs?

If he really wanted to further his education there are many free online courses available. No parent was hanging over his shoulder watching his every move once they were in DC. Instead he used the internet to set up dating profiles and spew bigotry.

• Love 14

Josh never got any pussy from Ashley Madison.  There are only a few women on there and they had lots of options.  

The "guaranteed affair" is a money back offer, not an actual promise of sex. 

Anna Duggar needs to for once in her sad life get some fucking self-respect.

Josh didn't try and cheat because Anna was bad in bed.  He tried to cheat because he is Josh Duggar, a complete and total self-serving asshole.  

I strongly suspect that Josh never cheated, even though he was desperate for some side pussy.  He comes across as a creep/douchebag on both sites.  

I've been wondering if there extra-charge guaranteed option was actually the companies way of outsourcing to 'escorts'.

• Love 7

I think that now a tell-all book is not unlikely and that it will be written by Our Joshie. There's nothing left to lose (maybe?), and he'd make some money he'll likely need.

I should probably instead say it will be "written" by him.

• Love 10

Let's look at the one silver lining to this from the Duggars' perspective: at least Josh was soliciting women, not men.

My office husband, who I spent a lot more time with than I did with my husband for a while there, is gay. My husband was never really threatened by him, but he did feel a little weird that there was someone I shared jokes with that he didn't know.  

Note to our modalicious moddies: love and respect you all. <3

The next days ahead might be tough. But please know, I appreciate all of you -- frenchtoast, bigskygirl, Bella, aethera, MuuMuuChainSmoker, BigDogDave -- yeah. You are supercalifragelisticexpealodocious! :D

Im no self-appointed spokesperson, but Im guessing lots of posters will agree. :)

Seriously? I get paid for my day job and I end up a lot of the time itching to swell up, turn green and throw cars around. I don't know how you guys manage it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 8

I'm gratified no major media will eve re go near the Duggars again.

Conspiracy theory: the Duggars planted the info themselves, so it would blow up in the media, they could prove it false somehow, then rightly get sympathy, attention, and a new show. That darn liberal media! But them, they're not that shrewd.

• Love 2

Josh Duggar had paid account with Ashley Madison

Ah, people like this never fail to disappoint me - aka I know you are all shady bastards hiding shady behavior. It's just a matter of when that knowledge goes public.

To quote once again a comment I stole from Jezebel (in my profile but I cannot remember who I got it from!!):

Newton’s Law of Hypocrisy: The greater the sanctimony, the greater likelihood of skeletons in the closet.

• Love 18

I've been wondering if there extra-charge guaranteed option was actually the companies way of outsourcing to 'escorts'.

I used to think that until I saw that the "guarantee" was for someone who paid $250 - not enough to cover such a service.  I strongly suspect that most of the guys who buy that package get a lot of AM employees using fake accounts egging them on, and when they run out of credits, instead of demanding their money back, they just buy more because that woman was "close" to sleeping with them.  My guess is that AM counts on men's embarrassment at "striking out" for rarely demanding their money back.  

• Love 13

I'm gratified no major media will eve re go near the Duggars again.

Conspiracy theory: the Duggars planted the info themselves, so it would blow up in the media, they could prove it false somehow, then rightly get sympathy, attention, and a new show. That darn liberal media! But them, they're not that shrewd.

Duggar Studios and their $52 in donations hacked Ashley Madison.
  • Love 8

I think Josh is a sex addict, like David Duchovny. I think all the business of sweeping his troubles under the rug only encouraged him, as he thought he was above getting caught. 

But I really hope this all doesn't end in a really bad way, like suicide. There are so many people taking their lives every day. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially Anna and the kids.  

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 8

In the Yahoo news feed today was an article claiming JB and Meeshelle are backing away from Joshie already (this was before the AM news broke) because every time they are seen with him the whole thing blows up again.

I hope Anna's parents will take her and the kids in.

But she failed at being a wife, don't you know?  Somehow at least half of this is her fault.

• Love 2

Thank you for this answer. So does this mean that in Gothardism a woman could hypothetically end up with several children yet not be allowed to remarry yet she's expected to not work outside of the home? And since we know she likely wouldn't have the education or skills to support herself even if she could work out of the home, that seems exceptionally cruel to forbid the one way a woman can live away from her parents - with a husband supporting her. It seems like it leaves no option for the woman (aside from everyone hoping she'll be awarded a decent amount of child support/alimony, etc).

I have a (non-Gothardite) friend whose husband has repeatedly cheated on her. They have 4 kids. He has a good job. She didn't go to school past high school and has been a stay-at-home mom for the past 16 years (she has little, if any, work history outside of the home). We live in a state that sometimes will grant temporary alimony, but not long-term. She final,y got fed up with it & they went to see a lawyer. The lawyer told her they'd have to sell their house or she'd have to buy out his share (or vis-a-versa). She has no income, so she can't buy him out. He said she likely would not get even temporary alimony. She's entitled to child support, but it wouldn't be enough to cover the mortgage and utilities, let alone food, her portion of childcare (since she'd have to find a job...and she'd be lucky to get anything above minimum wage), etc. She couldn't afford to rent an apartment in the excellent school district we live in now or a similar one. She essentially came to the conclusion that she had to *forgive* her husband and make it work or else she'd be putting herself and kids in a position that would be terrible financially, educationally, etc. Our state is also TERRIBLE at enforcing child support and punishing/jailing/garnishing pay checks of deadbeat dads and she was afraid he might not pay - and she'd end up with months or more of no child support at all. So she forgave him. Then she found out he's having an affair again. Basically they're now living in the same house but avoiding each other aside from co-parenting. They are more like roommates who share kids. She's miserable. But she can't afford to leave him. She's working part-time in food service and struggling to save up some kind of money to have as her own so she can leave him and carve out a life for herself with a small nest egg to get started. By then, probably half or more of her kids will be adults.

I'd imagine the situation for a Gothard woman who is divorced but unable to remarry would be the same if not worse (depending on the state where they lived). No education to speak of and no work experience outside of the home, etc. The only option women seem to have is to be a wife & SAHM, it seems like the easy fix would be to marry them off to someone else? What do these women do, particularly if they live in states where getting more than temporary alimony isn't common, there isn't a great deal of paid-off community property, and child support enforcement is lax? (I'm not saying it should be another man's job to support someone like Anna and her kids, but it seems like since marriage is a woman's only way in their culture to have a life independent from her parents, what do they suggest as a way for a woman to house/feed herself and kids?)

• Love 7