Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Call of the Wild

I first went "awww" at the ASPCA ad, then "yaay" with the cat! 

I'm happy with the episode. I was afraid we would be left hanging to speculate who did the crime. A little sad at what became of Naz but it wasn't a surprise. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, stagmania said:

I absolutely loved Stone's closing argument. That was a great showcase for John Turturro and the standout moment of the finale (and possibly the entire series) for me.

I was somewhere between a shrug and an eyeroll for most of the rest.

John Turturro absolutely killed it with that scene and the scene where he has the outbreak.

Really enjoyed this episode and thought they finished strong, outside of the inane Chandra storyline.  Naz really destroyed his family with this and I can't say I sympathized with the attitude he gave his mother at the end considering he said in court that he didn't know if he killed Andrea or not.  He needs to make it right with them but I doubt that will happen.  His best bet would be to leave the state and move on with his life.

LOL with the cat at the end.

• Love 9

Super disappointed with the anti-climatic ending of this show. Chandra was assassinated as a character, Naz is a loser drug addict and I'm supposed to believe that Jon Turturro is living in torture over a cat?? I guess endings are nearly impossible to get right. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I loved the final scene! 

Are we supposed to not like Chandra? I found her annoying,especially in this last episode. She was too green and naive. I loved how she gained confidence throughout the series -- but something went awry before she called Naz to the stand.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

I can't be the only one who let out a cheer at the final shot?

You were not.  I was watching the ending and I thought, why is the camera just focusing on that, and then the final scene, and the music was perfect.  I LOVE that song.

• Love 10

I guess tying things up somewhat neatly was their way of defying genre conventions? For whatever genre this show was supposed to fit into. 

11th-hour boyfriend that no one knew she had? Okay then. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, PetuniaP said:

Naz is a loser drug addict and I'm supposed to believe that Jon Turturro is living in torture over a cat?? I guess endings are nearly impossible to get right. 

I thought perhaps since his eczema came back, he might as well live with the cat.

Kudos to those who speculated it would be the financial planner.

• Love 17

So the kitty ends up the big winner! Yay!

The rest of it was not unexpected. Stone really delivered in his closing argument and JT was magnificent. (The tears in his eyes...that's acting.) Naz has a tough road ahead of him. That last image of him by the bridge was heartbreaking; there was no way he was coming out of this unscathed. Even though Michael K. Williams is always a joy to watch, Freddy is still a bit of an enigma for me.

Helen's "let's go get him" attitude in the diner was a bit forced but I guess it was better than the alternative. Glad to see that Box actually had a conscience. Chandra's lapses in judgement were ridiculous. The kiss was one thing but delivering vagina drugs...come on.

Finally, kudos to those who called the Financial Planner (Ray?) as the killer. His "evilness" was a bit over-the-top. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 18

While my husband was focused on the various outcomes for the people, I was focused mainly on whether the cat would be saved...and I let out a joyous shriek when the cat walked through the room. Overall, it was an interesting series with a somewhat satisfying ending, though still too many loose ends and unrealistic actions.

• Love 12

I loved this show and the final episode.  Box was so focused on retirement, he didn't even do his job.  The DA was so focused on getting a win, she didn't really give a shit.  And here is Stone, who usually doesn't even give closing arguments, gave the closing argument to end all arguments.  "We put a kid in Rikers and say, survive that."  

I think the cat represents Naz, or the cat is justice.  Stone is a lawyer who'd do anything to save his client, even if he breaks out in hives.

Also, he was breaking out in hives when the cat wasn't even there, so what was that about?  Maybe Stone realized the cat wasn't causing his allergies.  

And the point about the boyfriend reminds me of the Central Park Five.  In that real case it was some random person who actually did the crime, someone the police never even investigated.  So that wasn't so much of a stretch to me.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 12

I have absolutely no problem with what Chandra did for and with Naz. Wait. I do have a problem with a real person doing that but I found it completely believable for the character and perfectly fine writing. There are a legion of stories involving people doing goofy things for prisoners and getting into totally self-injuring relationships with them.  

I don't think the last episode could have been better. Meow and out.

• Love 14

Wait, what? Ok, I missed something. The guy in the bowling alley / probable killer was the financial planner? I thought we'd never seen him before, so that actor didn't register for me. But why didn't he recognize Box? Or was it Stone who went to talk to him? 

Ah well.

They did a good job of manipulating the tension at the end. Is Freddy finally going to make a pass at Naz? Is Freddy going to have him killed on his way out? When the prison gates open, will Naz accidentally walk in front of a bus? Of course, like the entire anvil-cat, it was all very manipulative, but still. They did have me worried on both fronts.

The trial stuff continued to be ungainly and implausible.

Chandra, just ugh.

• Love 7

Something about the trial stuff this episode felt wrong. Actually several things felt wrong. The judge's interaction with the jury and the decision not to retry. This is only based on TV laws shows and a couple of college classes. Maybe I'm not used to "happy endings" on this kind of show, but I have a hard time thinking things would go down like this in real life. It was just this episode that stood out to me. Anyone in the legal system?

• Love 3

I actually loved the end. 
I was on the edge the entire time Naz was checking out of Hotel Rikers. I seriously expected him to get shanked. Though considering this show never went for the jugular (well, you know what I mean) for shock value, I should've known better. 
I guess Naz was a Freddy project and I liked that. It really did go against the grain of what I was expecting. When that disc ended up on Stone's door, it was a confirmation for me that Freddy knew Naz didn't do it. He talked earlier in the episode about all the people who come into Rikers with the same "not guilty" story. He had seen it all there. He may not be a "good guy" but he knows the system and tried to make it work on behalf of Naz. 

I think Mom does doubt Naz's innocence but was trying hard to believe in him. That family is so broken, I really hope that they do move far, far away and are able to pull the pieces back together. Which brings me to Naz, smoking the heroine. This is a dark path and since we won't be having a "follow-up" with him, I like to imagine that this is something that he is able to address before it becomes his permanent downfall. 

The reveal of the financial planner being more than just hired help wasn't shocking but shows the epic failure of the investigation (or lack of). I am glad Box couldn't shake this case and dug a bit deeper. His conversation with Helen pissed him off, as much as it did me. The end for this part of the story was so satisfying. 
John Turturro was phenomenal. I have always liked him but never followed him to closely career-wise. That'll change after this. Enough good things can't be said about Riz Ahmed, too. 
The cat...ha. I wasn't super invested but did let out an "Awww" when I saw the kitty stroll by. It's like Stone and Naz both ended living in their own personal hells. 

ETA: I missed the first 30 minutes, going to re-watch the west coast showing, but Chandra delivered drugs to Naz? WAIT?! WHAT???? Someone please explain. 

Edited by The Hound Lives
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

My husband had a different take. Stress caused the eczema to come back. It went away when he had the cat, so maybe the cat helped de-stress him. Maybe now that he has the cat back it will help.

I agree with this. It wasn't the cat that was the issue. He may certainly be allergic but I think that the stress of this case, especially once Chandra was removed as lead counsel, his outbreaks became more aggressive. This could have been his issue all along, when it comes to the type of clients he takes. The low pressure, plead out clients are routine. His body revolts under excessive pressures. Shitty spot to be in but completely feasible. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Even though Michael K. Williams is always a joy to watch, Freddy is still a bit of an enigma for me.

Oh, it's more than a bit of an enigma for me.  He never stopped talking in riddles, and if there was supposed to be symbolism in the "I've got a unicorn" monologue that was supposed to clarify his motivations, it went clear over my head.  He got himself an innocent pet, turned the little unicorn into a hoodlum and a drug addict, and then... tried to set his prized pet free by sending the DVD to Box.  What did Freddy get out of all this?  

• Like 1
  • Love 21

Man, I avoid that ASPCA commerial on TV when I can so them sneaking it in the show might be the most annoying thing they have done.

I binged this show today so I wasn't involved in previous discussions.  I think that's for the best because once I did start reading them, the glaring fact that they never addressed the lack of blood on him was pretty annoying. 

Chandra kissing him and bringing him drugs felt kind of sudden.  People do stupid things for prisoners but with all the time they had, I wish they had spent more time developing his relationship with her and less time with Freddy (as much as I enjoy MKW.) It would have been different had she been around from the beginning and saw the innocent lamb he was when he came in like Stone did but she wasn't.  I felt the connection between Stone and Naz but not between Naz and Chandra.

UK version spoilers below:

Spoiler

From what I understand, this same thing happened in the UK version except the inappropriate relationship was the initial lawyer.  Maybe it played better there. I get why you'd want John Turturro but that change undermined doing the same twist, IMO.

Overall, though, I do like the balance this finale achieved between despair and hope.  Despair because Naz is hooked on drugs and is definitely not the same guy who went into jail.  Despair because he only achieved a mistrial and even if they do arrest the financial planner, that likely won't completely exonerate him. They'll remember he was accused of murder and may not pay attention to who that is specifically.  But hope because the DA and cop are going after the financial planner.  Hope because of that darn cat.  

• Love 10

Loved it.  I was so relived Nas was let go.  I buy Chandra's naïveté or stupidity.  I hated it while it was happening but it didn't feel contrived. I had a feeling from way back that Box would have second thoughts and I was right.

The only thing I still have a hard time swallowing was Freddy's benevolence.  And exactly how did he get to have access to the Nas/Chandra kiss?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Man, I avoid that ASPCA commerial on TV when I can so them sneaking it in the show might be the most annoying thing they have done.

IKR??? I was like, "HBO, I am PAYING you to avoid this sort of thing!"

I liked the semi-resolution we got with this ending - I think the story that was told was the one they wanted to tell. I hope (*fingers crossed*) they don't decide to do a second season, because I think the 'somewhat' loose ends (Do they ever get the 'real' killer? What happens to Naz and his family? What does Chandra do now? (Okay, I admit, I know no one is thinking about that) Does Stone ever get the eczema resolved? What's Sarah MacLachlan doing these days?) leave this in the right place, at least for me.

I'm satisfied. The show was visually arresting, the story was fascinating and painful, and the questions I still have...I can live with them being unanswered. The cat has a home. Stone has a heart. All is well.

• Love 17
41 minutes ago, benteen said:

Chandra turned out to be an awful lawyer.  I can't even explain the shit she did for Naz...it literally made no sense to me.

Yeah they really didn't even try to show her motivations.  She didn't get where she did by being reckless like that.

Naz had an excuse for changing, because it was a response to Rikers.  But what was her excuse?

I was ready to shut it off when she reached down to retrieve the pills.  But if they declared a mistrial because of her behavior, that would have been kind of a copout.  Actually, the hung jury is kind of a copout too.  It would have been better to see the DA tell the judge they have new evidence.  In fact as officer of the court, she kind of has that obligation.  But she would have let them sentence Naz if not for the hung jury.

One of Weiss' closing statements was that only Naz's blood and semen were found in that townhouse.  But in fact, Box told the financial advisor his semen would be found there.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, scrb said:

One of Weiss' closing statements was that only Naz's blood and semen were found in that townhouse.  But in fact, Box told the financial advisor his semen would be found there.

That was Box bluffing. He knew full well only Naz's semen was found. But since he knew the financial advisor had been in that bed at one point or another, he knew he could fool the financial advisor into believing his semen was there, which would make the financial advisor nervous enough to reveal something by his reaction. And he did--nothing that could be used in a courtroom, but enough to confirm Box in his suspicions that he was the culprit.

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, LJonEarth said:

Something about the trial stuff this episode felt wrong... It was just this episode that stood out to me. Anyone in the legal system?

I felt the trial stuff was "off" in the seventh episode as well. There were no objections yelled, from either side, at statements that any decent lawyer would object to. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, scrb said:

Yeah they really didn't even try to show her motivations.  She didn't get where she did by being reckless like that. Naz had an excuse for changing, because it was a response to Rikers.  But what was her excuse?

They did have a line about her breaking up with her boyfriend and then showed her downing multiple drinks until Stone cut her off. At first I thought they were setting her up to sleep with Stone but it was clearly meant to show she was in a vulnerable place to connect with Naz.  But it was still weak.  So weak.

Actually, the hung jury is kind of a copout too.  It would have been better to see the DA tell the judge they have new evidence.  In fact as officer of the court, she kind of has that obligation.  But she would have let them sentence Naz if not for the hung jury.

I do wonder what the obligation would be here, though.  Would discovery apply after both teams have rested?  Weiss was right, they did have more on Naz.  Why didn't Box give this information to the defense if he cared so much about it?  He wasn't an officer of the court any longer.  He didn't have an obligation to go to the DA only.  The hung jury was a little strange to me because the defense put together such an awful case.  Hell.  Even Naz got on the stand and couldn't swear by his innocence.

I think he was bluffing.

I felt the trial stuff was "off" in the seventh episode as well. There were no objections yelled, from either side, at statements that any decent lawyer would object to. 

No.  In fact, I laughed in this episode because the person who eventually objected wasn't a lawyer. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Dogberry said:

Oh, it's more than a bit of an enigma for me.  He never stopped talking in riddles, and if there was supposed to be symbolism in the "I've got a unicorn" monologue that was supposed to clarify his motivations, it went clear over my head.  He got himself an innocent pet, turned the little unicorn into a hoodlum and a drug addict, and then... tried to set his prized pet free by sending the DVD to Box.  What did Freddy get out of all this?  

I've just decided Freddy was high a lot. That way I don't have to question his motives or his talks.

Glad the cat was saved. JT was excellent, as were the actors playing Naz's family. 

Naz is hot. Too bad he didn't learn one of the most important lessons of being a successful drug dealer....don't get hooked on your own product. 

Also.... the Chandra character is an idiot.

That's all.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8

Loved Trevor/Bodie on the stand, pleading the 5th amendment, getting advice from the judge.  Also loved "Isn't that heresy?" -- "heresy" is how I spelled "hearsay" in the 5th grade spelling bee -- "sit down, Pam". 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't recognize the financial planner from before -- I thought it was a different guy! 

The photos Box showed Helen -- were they photos of Ray at Andrea's apartment on the night of?  It was so dark I couldn't tell.  So we DO know the killer?  Sorta?  Can Ray say he was there but Andrea was already dead?  Will Ray take a plea?  Will Glenn Headley represent him?  

I thought the envelope at Stone's door was going to be the evidence that Box collected.  Color me surprised that Freddy knew it was sufficient to ask for a mistrial, even though it would mean he'd lose his unicorn.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, PetuniaP said:

Super disappointed with the anti-climatic ending of this show. ... I guess endings are nearly impossible to get right. 

I thought this ending was near perfect. We saw Naz freed -- but still wrestling with his new self that develop while he was at Rikers. Stone went back to his "regular" legal jobs (I would have liked to have seen some reconciliation w/ his son). And we got the sense that the real killer would be brought to justice. Plus -- Stone kept the cat!

• Love 13

I was left feeling oddly empty. I am glad Naz was not killed in jail and glad it ended with a hung jury but he becomes a drug addict and Chandra is ruined. I suppose it is ultimately a sad ending. 

I am glad it is not a documentary. 

• Love 5

What in the actual everything of anything thought putting Naz on the stand was a good idea?! When you've actually established enough doubt, and all you have to do is close strong?

I really liked the judge though. He was no nonsense and glib. 

Really nice how Box decided at the last minute to actually do his job. 

I really can't say what this show is about. Upon reflection of the show, I just can't buy that Naz criminaled up so fast in jail. He's got a neck tattoo now? It's like irrelevant to him. I can't imagine being so blase about your literal life. We never saw anything in the series to indicate this seemingly fatalistic streak in Naz that was also seemingly instantaneous. I wish that was addressed more.

It didn't seem like the DA even believed herself in the closing argument.

I did like that we didn't know much about the jury. They were just there. 

I wasn't expecting that result, but I think it's fair.

Calling total bs on the deer head though.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, benteen said:

Naz really destroyed his family with this and I can't say I sympathized with the attitude he gave his mother at the end considering he said in court that he didn't know if he killed Andrea or not. 

I'm not sure how he destroyed his family for a crime he likely didn't commit. This was the flaw in the show for not focusing on the family. 

2 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Helen's "let's go get him" attitude in the diner was a bit forced but I guess it was better than the alternative. Glad to see that Box actually had a conscience. 

I don't understand why they wouldn't have just done that from the beginning because it's their literal job. In the first episode, Box said, "what am I missing?" Well, you're 30+ on the force, I would assume you wouldn't overlook obvious discrepancies and actually work. 

I liked the semi-resolution we got with this ending - I think the story that was told was the one they wanted to tell. 

I honestly and sincerely don't know what the story was they wanted to tell. The story to me was the family and Naz and Freddy. When Naz was released it looked like his brother had issues. For like 3 seconds. 

Chandra turned out to be an awful lawyer.  I can't even explain the shit she did for Naz...it literally made no sense to me.

Yeah they really didn't even try to show her motivations.  She didn't get where she did by being reckless like that.

I have no idea what her motivation was either. 

I'm just not seeing how Naz transitioned to tatted up crack smoking ex con. The show should have focused more on that. The courtroom was largely wasteful for me. I'm glad the cat is ok.

Naz just got so apathetic so fast. I just don't get it.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm just not seeing how Naz transitioned to tatted up crack smoking ex con. The show should have focused more on that. The courtroom was largely wasteful for me. I'm glad the cat is ok.

I'm struggling with some of this too. I get how it could all happen. I get in a general sense someone either ending up that way playing the part to survive or by just giving up. I think I was just to focused on the mystery to really see this transition. Perhaps upon rewatch it will be clearer.

• Love 1

I was on the edge the entire time Naz was checking out of Hotel Rikers. I seriously expected him to get shanked. Though considering this show never went for the jugular (well, you know what I mean) for shock value, I should've known better.

The only thing I still have a hard time swallowing was Freddy's benevolence.

I was so worried that Freddy was going to cut Naz's jugular with that razor after seeing whatever was on that tape. What did he see? I don't think it was the kiss. If it was Chandra passing drugs to Naz, did I miss the payoff for Freddy's discovery? My heart sank when Chandra decided to put Naz on the stand. Yikes.

I really liked the judge though. He was no nonsense and glib. 

I just noticed that the judge is the creepy killer from True Detective S1.

It didn't seem like the DA even believed herself in the closing argument.

She was thinking about Naz's innocence after Box showed her the real killer and walked out of the courtroom, but she couldn't change her case in closing. Maybe she was trying to get a hung jury.

Overall this ep was great to watch. No dull moments. I had no idea the financial guy was the killer. I wonder why Box would help Stone to get a mistrial but not point him in the direction of the real killer. Naz's last scene was so sad. They used the piano music from "The Door in the Floor," an awesome movie that indicates but doesn't show the sad ending in the book.  Based on that I'm guessing Naz won't fare well. But yay for the adorable cat! That last shot put a big smile on my face.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2