Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Is it bad that I think Jessa/Jeremy..and Ben/Jinger are a better match? 

I'd love to see who would win in the narcissism race between Jessa and Jeremy...while Ben has said he wouldn't mind living in a city and I don't think he'd ever talk down to Jinger.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'd love to see who would win in the narcissism race between Jessa and Jeremy...while Ben has said he wouldn't mind living in a city and I don't think he'd ever talk down to Jinger.

Ben & Jinger I could see together, Jeremy and Jessa would be a match made in hell. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Ben and Jinger would never have made it to a city, because he'd still be working for her dad. He had the same life, no matter which sister he picked. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Ben and Jinger would never have made it to a city, because he'd still be working for her dad. He had the same life, no matter which sister he picked. 

True. I do think he'd be spared the diaper mountain with Jinger, but overall, his existence would be the same. I loathe Jeremy more than any of these people, but to his credit, I don't think he'd tolerate Jessa's disgustingness. And to be fair, that's on Ben, too, since he lived in the house and apparently didn't do anything to clean it up either. What filthy creatures. 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Zella said:

True. I do think he'd be spared the diaper mountain with Jinger, but overall, his existence would be the same. I loathe Jeremy more than any of these people, but to his credit, I don't think he'd tolerate Jessa's disgustingness. And to be fair, that's on Ben, too, since he lived in the house and apparently didn't do anything to clean it up either. What filthy creatures. 

That diaper mountain is something I will never understand. 

The dust and the dirty stove- okay you got busy, need to clean up (but I wouldn’t dare take a photo), but a DIAPER MOUNTAIN? Throw the diaper in the trash! Do they not take out their trash daily or every other day? I’m a single woman living alone and I take out the cat litter trash daily and the big trash every 2-3days. Why would you think that was something to take a photo of???

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

I bet Jessa thought that diaper mountain was something people would find relatable. But because she was raised in that less than clean big house she misjudged that one.

IMO there’s a big difference between “less than clean”(like dust or dirty floors) and human/animal waste just laying about!!

I grew up in a home with adults in diapers (my sister still wears diapers full time and my grandfather did at the end of his life)- I probably had as much experience with that as Jessa did growing up. It would never occur to me to leave the diaper on the table. You wrap it in a plastic bag, tie that up, throw it in the big trash- and take the big trash out EOD (or when it’s full).  

Basic infant care is something Jessa should know like the back of her hand. I legit wonder how they wash their hands seeing someone of their habits (shudder). 

• Love 18

Well yea there is a difference in not clean and filthy but (for example) even hoarders don't start that way, it's a slippery slope from really messy to filth. The Duggar kids were raised to be lazy on top of it. Compare the Duggar daughter's homes to those of the daughters-in-law, big difference there.

I can't stand Jessa and I think she just got really lazy. Why else post that picture? She had to honestly think people would relate or tell her that "you are so busy it's ok".  But that's just me as I'm scrubbing tile grout today and did you know that oven cleaner works really well on getting grout brighter?

• Useful 7
  • Love 10
38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The dust and the dirty stove- okay you got busy, need to clean up (but I wouldn’t dare take a photo), but a DIAPER MOUNTAIN? Throw the diaper in the trash! Do they not take out their trash daily or every other day? I’m a single woman living alone and I take out the cat litter trash daily and the big trash every 2-3days. Why would you think that was something to take a photo of???

It really shook me too! I'm not going to say I'm a marvelous housekeeper, but yeah there is a huge difference between being a little messy and that. 

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I still think about those diapers. It was the weirdest thing. The only "reason" I can think of is that she was trying to be relatable, and she figured normal people only use diaper genies to get rid of diapers, since in the TTH they just threw diapers in the regular trash (for the sake of argument, I'm giving the Duggars the benefit of the doubt on that). So when her diaper genie broke(? or ran out of bags?), she figured she had to wait until she had a working genie again, because that's what normal people do.

I swear, the Duggars are aliens in human suits trying to pass. It's the only explanation.

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

So their weenie roast with smores was in broad daylight?  You'd think they would at least wait til the sun went down and temps cooled off a bit.  But then, they do things differently

The kids probably get hungry earlier than sundown and it's likely pushing bedtime by the time dusk falls.

Well for normal people.  I don't know how much Jessa is on Duggar time.  Ben might tend toward a schedule.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 9

There’s messy, there’s dirty, and then there’s feces on your dresser. There may be a slope from messy to dirty, but that next stage isn’t a natural progression. It’s disgusting beyond belief and it’s a health hazard. I do not know what the environment in the TTH must have been like, for her to think that that’s normal, or not a big deal, or even something that would ever happen at all in anyone else’s house. *shudders* And it does leave me wondering also if she washes her hands after diaper changes, or if she’s just too busy to fuss over “tiny details” like that. 🙄

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I've always read about Jessa's "mound of diapers" but had never seen a picture.  So I just googled it and wow!  For anyone else who hasn't see it, here's an article that highlights a post Jessa made about her messy house when her boys were very little .  The pictures are amazing(ly bad)!

https://www.littlethings.com/jessa-duggar-mommy-shamed-gross-home/5

Yep that's been engrained in my brain ever since I first saw that. Scarred me even more than watching Cats. :S 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

There's a large spectrum of housekeeping and everyone has a different threshold of what they can tolerate. I tolerate messiness easier than dirtiness, but I can peacefully go to bed with a sink full of dirty dishes. I've even changed peepee diapers in the living room on occasion and waited until I was going into the kitchen, rather than making a specific trip, to throw it away. But I can promise you all, every diaper changed in a day was in the trash sooner rather than later and not a one was left out until the next day (or even hour).

What makes Mt Diaper even worse is they all slept in that room, night after night, next to a growing pile of dirty diapers. Ben didn't throw them away. Jessa didn't throw them away. Shit, even Spurgie was old enough to throw them away. To me that indicates it was a normal thing, not a one time "my Diaper Genie was broken" thing.

And aren't Diaper Genies used to seal up offensive diapers? So the alternative to not having access to one is disposing of diapers right away.

• Love 21

I remember the whole diaper mountain thing back when it happened, but I don't know the details.  Did Jessa or Ben actually address it or was it more of a thing that people just noticed in one of their boring videos?  I just don't understand how anyone could logically justify creating a pile of rotting smelly used diapers anywhere besides a garbage bin.

• Love 2
Just now, BigBingerBro said:

I remember the whole diaper mountain thing back when it happened, but I don't know the details.  Did Jessa or Ben actually address it or was it more of a thing that people just noticed in one of their boring videos?  I just don't understand how anyone could logically justify creating a pile of rotting smelly used diapers anywhere besides a garbage bin.

Jessa took a photo of the diaper mound and shared it to Instagram, to DISPLAY to us that it occurred. Along with a grimy stove and dusty table top. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
Just now, BigBingerBro said:

Jessa posted a bunch of pictures of her dirty house under the guise of taking care of babies, housework can wait. The pictures included Mt Diaper, a spare bed piled, like covered, with unfolded clothes, and dust, stove and/or sink grime, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a large spectrum of housekeeping and everyone has a different threshold of what they can tolerate. I tolerate messiness easier than dirtiness, but I can peacefully go to bed with a sink full of dirty dishes. I've even changed peepee diapers in the living room on occasion and waited until I was going into the kitchen, rather than making a specific trip, to throw it away. But I can promise you all, every diaper changed in a day was in the trash sooner rather than later and not a one was left out until the next day (or even hour).

What makes Mt Diaper even worse is they all slept in that room, night after night, next to a growing pile of dirty diapers. Ben didn't throw them away. Jessa didn't throw them away. Shit, even Spurgie was old enough to throw them away. To me that indicates it was a normal thing, not a one time "my Diaper Genie was broken" thing.

And aren't Diaper Genies used to seal up offensive diapers? So the alternative to not having access to one is disposing of diapers right away.

Since Ben is alleged to be a germphobe, and sticking with the "Jessa tries--and fails--to be relatable because she's an alien" idea, I wonder if those diapers were in the trash and she pulled them out for the picture. Better A bit less horrific in some ways, so much worse in others.

You know what was even worse than the dirty diaper mountain to me? The spit up on the bed that they just covered up in a towel and kept sleeping on it. If they had just done that because it was the middle of the night and who the hell wants to change sheets at 3 am, cool. But apparently the spit up had been there for a couple of days and they just covered it and kept sleeping on it.

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, lascuba said:

You know what was even worse than the dirty diaper mountain to me? The spit up on the bed that they just covered up in a towel and kept sleeping on it. If they had just done that because it was the middle of the night and who the hell wants to change sheets at 3 am, cool. But apparently the spit up had been there for a couple of days and they just covered it and kept sleeping on it.

This is what I think is the most disgusting thing of all that she posted. I get that she may be too busy with the baby to change her sheets, but what the hell was Ben doing? You can't tell me he's incapable of stripping and making a bed. As for the diapers, babies go through 8-12 diapers a day so what's on the top of the dresser represents about a day and or two. I don't quite see the logic, since if they're changing the baby on the bed why not put a lined waste basket in they, but it's not near as gross as the bed.

• Love 9

Ugh, I forgot about the spit-up on the bed. I remember a couple of times when my kids had spit-up in their crib and I put them back to bed at the other end of the crib in the middle of the night. But first thing in the morning I stripped the crib and wiped down the mattress.

The mattress on the bed may be worse than the Birthing Couch.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Nysha said:

This is what I think is the most disgusting thing of all that she posted. I get that she may be too busy with the baby to change her sheets, but what the hell was Ben doing? You can't tell me he's incapable of stripping and making a bed. As for the diapers, babies go through 8-12 diapers a day so what's on the top of the dresser represents about a day and or two. I don't quite see the logic, since if they're changing the baby on the bed why not put a lined waste basket in they, but it's not near as gross as the bed.

This is what gets me about Ben and why I have far less sympathy for him than many other do, because if Ben is that germphobic, then the onus is on him to keep things to his cleanliness standard.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

This is what gets me about Ben and why I have far less sympathy for him than many other do, because if Ben is that germphobic, then the onus is on him to keep things to his cleanliness standard.

I think Ben's phobia with germs is more about other's bodily fluids and spoiled food, than it is about a dirty house. I get diapers have pee and poop in them, but when all wrapped up, the germs are contained, so to speak.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa posted a bunch of pictures of her dirty house under the guise of taking care of babies, housework can wait. The pictures included Mt Diaper, a spare bed piled, like covered, with unfolded clothes, and dust, stove and/or sink grime, etc.

Don't forget the vomit-stained sheets on her bed.  Oops--other people remembered before I did!

Edited by CalicoKitty
added more info
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It is important to note that only Jessa posted a picture of filth at the level of a diaper pile. None of the others have done anything to that level. Now I don't expect that from any of the DILs or even Jinger. Jill has posted messes but not to the degree of being unsanitary. I'm thinking of that guest room that Izzy has used for naps I believe. 

I think the Duggars are a special brand of fundie, and in this case Jessa's a special brand of Duggar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

Jessa's post claimed that the dozen or so diapers in the pile were 12 hours worth.  She did have two kids in diapers at the time, but, as I recall, they all looked to be newborn sized diapers, not the toddler size that Spurgeon would've used.  I find it hard to believe that she changed the newborn hourly for 12 hours straight to build that pile.

Of course, there's also the fact that she admitted to sleeping on sheets with baby's spit-up on them for days, that the dusty end table she pictured had not been dusted in 6 months and that it had been weeks since she had cleaned the top of the stove.  But, not to worry, they were going to be having houseguests that weekend so she was going to clean it all up before they arrived.

It was pretty clear from the entire fiasco that Jessa is a slob and has no idea that her housekeeping is well below the standards of most people.  If you cannot dust but once every 6 months, and only then because company is coming; it is not your kids keeping you from it.  

Jessa obviously posted that stuff because she thought it was the norm for other young mothers.  No, it isn't.  My mother was no great shakes at cleaning the house; but we didn't have dirty diapers piled everywhere.  My youngest sister was born post-Pampers and pre-Diaper Genie.  There was a dedicated waste can with a liner and a lid in her bedroom for diapers that was emptied usually daily.  My mother would've clobbered us had we left a dirty diaper anywhere but in the designated container.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
25 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Jessa's post claimed that the dozen or so diapers in the pile were 12 hours worth.  She did have two kids in diapers at the time, but, as I recall, they all looked to be newborn sized diapers, not the toddler size that Spurgeon would've used.  I find it hard to believe that she changed the newborn hourly for 12 hours straight to build that pile.

Of course, there's also the fact that she admitted to sleeping on sheets with baby's spit-up on them for days, that the dusty end table she pictured had not been dusted in 6 months and that it had been weeks since she had cleaned the top of the stove.  But, not to worry, they were going to be having houseguests that weekend so she was going to clean it all up before they arrived.

It was pretty clear from the entire fiasco that Jessa is a slob and has no idea that her housekeeping is well below the standards of most people.  If you cannot dust but once every 6 months, and only then because company is coming; it is not your kids keeping you from it.  

Jessa obviously posted that stuff because she thought it was the norm for other young mothers.  No, it isn't.  My mother was no great shakes at cleaning the house; but we didn't have dirty diapers piled everywhere.  My youngest sister was born post-Pampers and pre-Diaper Genie.  There was a dedicated waste can with a liner and a lid in her bedroom for diapers that was emptied usually daily.  My mother would've clobbered us had we left a dirty diaper anywhere but in the designated container.

And I am so old my mother scrubbed my cloth diapers in a bathtub on a washboard!  Imagine if our delicate flower Jessa was faced with that?

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I am a terrible housekeeper (would never keep dirty diapers around, however). The difference is, I would NEVER take pictures of my messy house and share them with millions of strangers (or even my close friends).

I'm guessing your definition of terrible housekeeping is much closer to everyone else's definition. Jessa's definition is a tad off the mark.

I'm no Susie Homemaker, but its rare for my house to be a complete failure all at once. I may get lazy with the dusting, but the bathrooms are likely clean, or at least the toilets. I may have dishes in the sink but I've likely vacuumed and swept the floors in the last week. I may have unfolded clothes, but likely only a laundry basket full (and maybe some still in the dryer - on repeat).

To me the pictures Jessa showed are what a house would look like when a family has been fighting a flu for a month or something.

• Love 11

I like a clean enough house.  Doesn't mean I always get there all the time. Lately when my anxiety is high, I feel the need to wipe something, and since my anxiety is high most of the time, I am a wiping maniac.  I got a new steamer, so wiping and steaming.  Better than eating and drinking!  True story - years ago  when our kids went to a preschool,  I was friendly with some of the other mothers with kids the ages of mine.  One of them was very wealthy and lived in a fabulous house with fabulous furniture.  Whenever we went there for the kids to play I was always a bit uncomfortable feeling like I or the kids would mess something up.  The friend couldn't have been more gracious and friendly and happy to have us.  But still. Another mother had one of those houses where you stepped over a pile of laundry - house clean, but with a lot of kids and what goes along with that.  I loved going there.  So comfortable.  She was also gracious and friendly. the kids never noticed a difference.  

• Love 7