Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

They're talking about the candy video on reddit, and somebody called Jessa "Agressa SewageWald." they are pretty pissed with her and have concluded that she  definitely did blanket train her kids. Also, they liken blanket training to electric fencing collars for dogs, with the difference being that most people don't try to get their dogs to approach the fence, but in blanket training you actively entice your child to leave the blanket. SMDH

Actually, there was a psychological experiment that was conducted many years back called the Marshmallow test, intended to examine the ability to delay gratification. The candy challenge is actually fairly similar to this. The difference between that and the candy challenge is that the kids had the option of eating that marshmallow, or they could wait and get a second one. Whereas in the candy challenge it appears they have to wait to eat the candy until the parent or whoever came back. 

That being said, the boys (especially Henry) looked particularly tired. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I've seen the Candy Challenge with mainstream folks. Some fail miserably, some touch, some bring it to their mouth and put it back and some know they're being filmed (Henry might have). The biggest difference between the Seewald boys and the other videos I've seen was the boys flat affect. In other videos you could almost feel the tension and anticipation of the kids waiting for the adult to return. Henry showed a little and then went straight for the candy when his aunt returned. But with Spurgie - nothing.

What’s the boys’ bedroom situation at their house? They have their own room? I’m just thinking about how their options are to play in that tiny living room, or backyard next to highway with no fence, or at The Big House with a million people. It sounds exhausting.

And I can imagine if Spurge is building a block tower and Ivy comes and knocks it down, he is expected to accommodate Ivy and play with her rather than have time to himself to play.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

What’s the boys’ bedroom situation at their house? They have their own room? I’m just thinking about how their options are to play in that tiny living room, or backyard next to highway with no fence, or at The Big House with a million people. It sounds exhausting.

And I can imagine if Spurge is building a block tower and Ivy comes and knocks it down, he is expected to accommodate Ivy and play with her rather than have time to himself to play.

The boys' bedroom has a queen mattress on the floor for Spurge, a toddler bed for Henry and office space for Ben. Its devoid of cheerfulness.

14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The boys' bedroom has a queen mattress on the floor for Spurge, a toddler bed for Henry and office space for Ben. Its devoid of cheerfulness.

This entire family is devoid of cheerfulness. They try to fake it for the camera, but they fail miserably.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
On 7/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, Temperance said:

That being said I think Lauren is the next one to announce a pregnancy. 

On 7/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Lauren’s face did look fuller in those baby shower photos. 

It's not her face I thought was fuller when I saw that photo.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Announcement coming soon 🙄

Screenshot_20200729-151451_Instagram.thumb.jpg.23db35d6f79ca80c466be9aa21f42551.jpg

Jessa does look pregnant here. Swing dresses are so comfortable and breezy but they can make even the thinnest woman look pregnant, but it’s not the dress. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jessa does look pregnant here. Swing dresses are so comfortable and breezy but they can make even the thinnest woman look pregnant, but it’s not the dress. 

Your right. The ass and hip area look larger than Jessa's normal.

• Love 5

Jessa loves to screw with people, and that photo is the perfect one to get the utero-obsessive tongues wagging.   She knows how she looks.  I say it's a deliberate fake-out and she enjoys every vindictive minute of it.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

Jessa loves to screw with people, and that photo is the perfect one to get the utero-obsessive tongues wagging.   She knows how she looks.  I say it's a deliberate fake-out and she enjoys every vindictive minute of it.  

Ouch....she really burned us.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:32 AM, GeeGolly said:

I've seen the Candy Challenge with mainstream folks. Some fail miserably, some touch, some bring it to their mouth and put it back and some know they're being filmed (Henry might have). The biggest difference between the Seewald boys and the other videos I've seen was the boys flat affect. In other videos you could almost feel the tension and anticipation of the kids waiting for the adult to return. Henry showed a little and then went straight for the candy when his aunt returned. But with Spurgie - nothing.

The flat affect is exactly what bothered me. Just sitting, there, waiting, no reaction at all. It especially bugged me with Henry, because what toddler just sits there? No screen, no toys, no coloring books, just waiting for someone to show up. Those kids are not ok.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Candy challenge. Please. What's wrong with people who do that to kids? What the hell is the point? -- Do this random arbitrary thing that I order you to do. Meaningless bullshit designed to create slaves of the Reich.

This is the Duggars all right. This is what comes of "adults" having no fucking lives. And that "good boy" when the "adult" returns. Exactly like they're frigging dogs. 

And, oh, about how bored and tired and confused you already are and how you have no affect when crap like this is going on, Spurge and Henry? Welcome to the rest of your lives. This is the kind of "activity" and the kind of human this family produces and that it intends to produce. 

I despise these people. They are so full of shit.....Utterly brainless. And they love to show their brainlessness off for the camera. 

Except I believe that this is mainstream youtube game, not a fundie invention. 

• Love 7

This is the kind of thing that hogties kids in an emergency. the more obedient they are, the less likely they will be able to take initiative if something tragic happens, because their parents have beaten it out of them. I can't tell you how sad and angry this makes me!

• Love 24
(edited)

The first time I saw this "Candy Challenge" was Tori Roloff doing it with Jackson. I didn't understand the point, just seemed stupid. @Churchhoney, I couldn't have spoken any better than you did on both your posts!

I don't think Jessa is pregnant, I think it's just the swing dress and if she wore it while pregnant, it's probably stretched to the limit. She didn't look pregnant to me in the picture of Ivy in the swing. I'm sure she'll prove me wrong though.

Edited by Madtown
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it is, too. But I think pretty much the same of anybody who would do it!....

.I do  think it's probably a bit more disgusting for these people, since, unlike others, they're likely not even to treat it as a game or be lighthearted about it, as I expect a lot of the other boobs who are doing it would be. ... Plus, I'm quite sure the Duggs are likely to respond in some kind of rather negative way  or other if a kid eats the candy, which I'd say is pernicious. And I do expect that a fair number of non-fundie-nuts who "play" this stupidity don't rub the kids' noses in it when they eat it. So at least with others it may be possible for the kid not to take the "lesson" that the Duggs here are obviously trying to reinforce. 

I don't think this is a "game'" that anybody should "play" with young children. Because you're essentially trying to torture them to see what they'll do. And that's not what kids should get from the adults in their lives, as far as I'm concerned.  in my opinion that's just very obnoxious behavior on the part of adults in any case.

And kids are not toys for adults to make fun of or exhibit as trophies attesting to their own power on social media, as the Duggs are obviously trying to do here, whether they realize that or not. 

But I consider it especially noxious when it's done by people like these who obviously expect that the kids are "trained," like dogs, to question nothing.

Meanwhile, the Dugg  "adults" are enjoying the power they're feeling. Their enjoyment of it is clear from their demeanor, seems to me. To me, they radiate almost a giddiness that they sort of try to keep under wraps. They're enjoying their power and their pride that they can show on video how much they've cowed these kids. Because they've been conditioned to imagine that that's the right thing to do, when it so is not. 

I expect people based it on that marshmallow test that's been used to gauge children's self control......But there nobody says "Good boy" to the kid who doesn't eat the marshmallow.  As I understand it, that's supposed to be a gauge of the kid's inner resources and, maybe, stage of development. 

But it seemed obvious to me that the way the Duggars were doing it made it instead a test of the kids' unquestioning acceptance of the adult's power to totally push them around for no reason. Huge difference, to my mind.

And worse, to me, because I'm pretty sure the Duggars don't even have the concept of a kid having significant inner resources. They believe in nothing but the power of unquestioning obedience because that's the world they're in . 

So, yes, in my opinion, everybody who "plays" this "game" with a kid is a thoughtless idiot, and likely a little bit mean into the bargain. (And if that should end up meaning that three quarters of the world's adults are thoughtless idiots, I can't say I'd be particularly surprised...)  

But the results of the way the Duggs play it, to me, are likely to be even more pernicious than with many other people, because with them, for both the children and the "adults," it reinforces an already very pernicious and, to my mind, dangerous worldview and pattern of behavior. 

I was just thinking about the marshmallow test. The way it works, you tell the child to go for a specified amount of time without eating the marshmallow, and if they don't eat, they get a second marshmallow. It was meant to test will power and the ability to delay gratification for future rewards. I recently read an article where the study was redone, this time with a much larger sample size and adjusting for things like household income. It turned out that the kids who couldn't hold out for the second marshmallow were often from families that suffered from food insecurity, and therefore, because a promise of future food couldn't be trusted, they ate what was available in the moment.

What do the results of the candy challenge mean regarding the Duggars? I'm certainly no social scientist, but it's pretty striking that the challenge was just to sit there for an indeterminate amount of time and not eat the candy, no reward promised. Clearly, they're being raised in an environment where obedience for the sake of obedience--even for the most inconsequential things--is mandated. We already knew that, of course, but I'm actually a bit surprised at how GOOD the Duggars are at this. I really would not have expected a child Henry's age to manage it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 7/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Blanket training did cross my mind when I watched it. 

I mentioned blanket training in my comment on the YT video.  I just checked and Jessa has deleted my comment.  

• LOL 12
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

It turned out that the kids who couldn't hold out for the second marshmallow were often from families that suffered from food insecurity, and therefore, because a promise of future food couldn't be trusted, they ate what was available in the moment.

I suppose it could be argued that the reason they were food insecurity In the first place is because those people cannot defer gratification well enough to long term plan, setting up a vicious cycle of instant gratification. Kind of like paying four times what something is worth from rent it store because you get the item right then, or buying automobiles from Duggar motors. I also point out this kind of test has been done with actual money, and not food, and has shown similar results.

Of course, we don’t know how long the Duggar boys had gone between a meal, either. Also, I’m not sure about the overall way the concept of snacking is modeled to the boys. It seems like in the early days of the family it was catch as catch can in regards to food.  No real set meal times, scraps of food, no real circadian rhythm. Bah, I’m tired of it and how bad parents L&P are. Mother of the year, my ass 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it is, too. But I think pretty much the same of anybody who would do it!....

.I do  think it's probably a bit more disgusting for these people, since, unlike others, they're likely not even to treat it as a game or be lighthearted about it, as I expect a lot of the other boobs who are doing it would be. ... Plus, I'm quite sure the Duggs are likely to respond in some kind of rather negative way  or other if a kid eats the candy, which I'd say is pernicious. And I do expect that a fair number of non-fundie-nuts who "play" this stupidity don't rub the kids' noses in it when they eat it. So at least with others it may be possible for the kid not to take the "lesson" that the Duggs here are obviously trying to reinforce. 

I don't think this is a "game'" that anybody should "play" with young children. Because you're essentially trying to torture them to see what they'll do. And that's not what kids should get from the adults in their lives, as far as I'm concerned.  in my opinion that's just very obnoxious behavior on the part of adults in any case.

And kids are not toys for adults to make fun of or exhibit as trophies attesting to their own power on social media, as the Duggs are obviously trying to do here, whether they realize that or not. 

But I consider it especially noxious when it's done by people like these who obviously expect that the kids are "trained," like dogs, to question nothing.

Meanwhile, the Dugg  "adults" are enjoying the power they're feeling. Their enjoyment of it is clear from their demeanor, seems to me. To me, they radiate almost a giddiness that they sort of try to keep under wraps. They're enjoying their power and their pride that they can show on video how much they've cowed these kids. Because they've been conditioned to imagine that that's the right thing to do, when it so is not. 

I expect people based it on that marshmallow test that's been used to gauge children's self control......But there nobody says "Good boy" to the kid who doesn't eat the marshmallow.  As I understand it, that's supposed to be a gauge of the kid's inner resources and, maybe, stage of development. 

But it seemed obvious to me that the way the Duggars were doing it made it instead a test of the kids' unquestioning acceptance of the adult's power to totally push them around for no reason. Huge difference, to my mind.

And worse, to me, because I'm pretty sure the Duggars don't even have the concept of a kid having significant inner resources. They believe in nothing but the power of unquestioning obedience because that's the world they're in . 

So, yes, in my opinion, everybody who "plays" this "game" with a kid is a thoughtless idiot, and likely a little bit mean into the bargain. (And if that should end up meaning that three quarters of the world's adults are thoughtless idiots, I can't say I'd be particularly surprised...)  

But the results of the way the Duggs play it, to me, are likely to be even more pernicious than with many other people, because with them, for both the children and the "adults," it reinforces an already very pernicious and, to my mind, dangerous worldview and pattern of behavior. 

Would Jessa have uploaded the video if one or both HAD eaten the candy?

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I found the article I mentioned earlier: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/06/marshmallow-test/561779/

6 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Would Jessa have uploaded the video if one or both HAD eaten the candy?

I would think she would, just because I think the point of this challenge among non-crazies is too laugh at how quickly some of the kids fail. Jessa knows that, so no matter what the results, she would have posted it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I mentioned blanket training in my comment on the YT video.  I just checked and Jessa has deleted my comment.  

I’ve asked joy before, too, and no response. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Long, drawn out video about the Seewalds in 2019. I lasted maybe 3 minutes.

She's a Gothard girl all right. She's just as obsessed with curls and ringlets as he is.....

Talk about your subliminal influence. 

Maybe she got her love of ducklips and swaybacks from him, too. She's got one of those shots in book #1, so, you know, hurray for consistency.

And, Jessa, how many people do you think actually need instruction to go into an app and click on a bunch of pictures? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

She has a picture of Henry in the bathtub - with poop.

I...choose to believe that you're lying. I don't think you're a dishonest person, I just really don't want to believe you.

• LOL 19
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

What is it with Jessa and shit? Diaper Mountain. Shit in the tub. Actually, don't answer that question. LOL

Haha, she's excrement. She shits where she eats. That's just for starters. 😁

• LOL 11
10 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I suppose it could be argued that the reason they were food insecurity In the first place is because those people cannot defer gratification well enough to long term plan, setting up a vicious cycle of instant gratification. Kind of like paying four times what something is worth from rent it store because you get the item right then, or buying automobiles from Duggar motors. I also point out this kind of test has been done with actual money, and not food, and has shown similar results.

Of course, we don’t know how long the Duggar boys had gone between a meal, either. Also, I’m not sure about the overall way the concept of snacking is modeled to the boys. It seems like in the early days of the family it was catch as catch can in regards to food.  No real set meal times, scraps of food, no real circadian rhythm. Bah, I’m tired of it and how bad parents L&P are. Mother of the year, my ass 

I think that the Duggars are obsessed with candy. Ben and Jessa may not have a lot of candy in their hh (because of Ben), but the TTH is stuffed to the rafters with candy. It wouldn't surprise me if the kids could hold out, because they know that there will be more candy soon.

I think it's one of the few "fun" things that they're allowed (no friends, no sports, no physical affection, no decent food, no alcohol -- for the adults, etc.). I think it's the older Duggar kids who were traumatized by food insecurity. There is plenty of (gross) food at the TTH now. I also think that in a few years the Gen 2 Duggars are going to get their own taste of food insecurity (after these ill-conceived families have grown even larger with no means of support and the show has ended).

• Love 16
On 8/1/2020 at 12:07 AM, GeeGolly said:

She has a picture of Henry in the bathtub - with poop.

Spurgeon wetting him self when he’s potty training also a highlight of 2019 WTF! Imagine showing that to him in the future, never mind the whole world. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lucy711 said:

If Jessa isn't pregnant, that is just a really unflattering dress.  I thought she was supposed to be the "fashionable" one?

She's never been fashionable. Jinger was the style maven.

• Love 8