Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

In theory, Ben is the head of the household and could decide to pull away from JB and the Duggar of it all if he had the gumption.  That's the THEORY.

If Ben’s job is part of Duggar Enterprises, it’s unlikely to happen. But at the same time, he could try to get a job outside of the compound. The real question is why he doesn’t.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

If Ben’s job is part of Duggar Enterprises, it’s unlikely to happen. But at the same time, he could try to get a job outside of the compound. The real question is why he doesn’t.

Not to defend Ben's apparent lack of drive, but I wonder if he and the family in general are too famous/notorious to have W-2 jobs in that area. Obviously, the family's insistence on just not working for others is the primary factor, but--and I'd love for someone familiar with the area to comment--maybe there's a concern about the attention they'd get from the general public and/or coworkers if they were to get jobs, both from haters and fans. They should suck it up and get over it if they really wanted out from under JB's thumb, but it would be a significant hurdle, I imagine. 

Back when Jill and Derick were first married, someone claiming to work at Walmart alongside Derick said that they were given stern warnings from management about discussing the show and the Duggars. That story always stuck with me, because I imagine that if they want to stay in that area of Arkansas (or that part of the country in general?), stuff like that is always going to be an issue when the interact with new people. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Not to defend Ben's apparent lack of drive, but I wonder if he and the family in general are too famous/notorious to have W-2 jobs in that area. Obviously, the family's insistence on just not working for others is the primary factor, but--and I'd love for someone familiar with the area to comment--maybe there's a concern about the attention they'd get from the general public and/or coworkers if they were to get jobs, both from haters and fans. They should suck it up and get over it if they really wanted out from under JB's thumb, but it would be a significant hurdle, I imagine. 

Back when Jill and Derick were first married, someone claiming to work at Walmart alongside Derick said that they were given stern warnings from management about discussing the show and the Duggars. That story always stuck with me, because I imagine that if they want to stay in that area of Arkansas (or that part of the country in general?), stuff like that is always going to be an issue when the interact with new people. 

I would buy that more if they legitimately lived in a small town here. But it's a metro area of over 500,000 people, some of whom are like minded and many of whom don't care about the Duggars or the show. I don't think anything is stopping him from working but his own laziness. 

Edited to add: Walmart HQ is also notoriously strict about everything, from clocking in to sick days. Everybody I've ever talked to said it could be quite draconian. I think that requirement says more about the culture at WM HQ than it does how many people were asking Derick questions on the job. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 6
  • Love 11
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

I would buy that more if they legitimately lived in a small town here. But it's a metro area of over 500,000 people, some of whom are like minded and many of whom don't care about the Duggars or the show. I don't think anything is stopping him from working but his own laziness. 

Edited to add: Walmart HQ is also notoriously strict about everything, from clocking in to sick days. Everybody I've ever talked to said it could be quite draconian. I think that requirement says more about the culture at WM HQ than it does how many people were asking Derick questions on the job. 

Thank you. The Duggars' small town yokel shtick make me think that they do live in some stereotypical small town. 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Thank you. The Duggars' small town yokel shtick make me think that they do live in some stereotypical small town. 

As someone who does live in a small town in a rural county in Arkansas, that really pisses me off about them. I hate to sound like a broken record because I've bitched about this before, but Michelle trying to pretend like they didn't live near a Wal Mart when there are over a dozen of them near where they live and the company headquarters are only 20 minutes from them sends me into a seething rage every time I think about it. 

• Love 23

It sounds like the Duggars have been left alone for the most part. I mean, their dirty little secret about Josh was apparently common knowledge but no one went to the media until Michelle's robocalls.

Bin could probably work at any job there and not be hassled in real life. Online might be a different story. But even then companies would know to differentiate between actual issues and just outright trolling. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It sounds like the Duggars have been left alone for the most part. I mean, their dirty little secret about Josh was apparently common knowledge but no one went to the media until Michelle's robocalls.

Bin could probably work at any job there and not be hassled in real life. Online might be a different story. But even then companies would know to differentiate between actual issues and just outright trolling. 

Yes I lived in Fayetteville when the robocalls happened, and it really angered people. Fayetteville is like Arkansas's Austin. Fayetteville also has a rather sizeable population of people from across the US and the world who are students at the U of A--I found it unusual to meet someone from Arkansas, actually--and they had no clue who the Duggars were until that happened. So they brought a lot of negative attention in themselves in that moment, and I'm not surprised someone in the know leapt on the opportunity. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5

The brothers do have a car lot, so they come in contact with the community. JD is some sort of play sheriff. Amy and her hubby both have businesses. And a few of the Bates, including in-laws, have real jobs in TN.

I think the only one who wouldn't be able to work a typical 9 - 5er is Josh.

• Love 6

I'd love to know how many calls JD actually responds to as a constable in a yearly basis. Most people where they live would have no reason to call the constable over actual law enforcement since help is right there. In my experience, constables are only really active in rural counties like mine where the cops can take an hour to show up versus the constable ten to fifteen minutes away. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Josh is probably the only one who can’t have a regular 9 to 5 job in the community and will most likely be supported by JB all his life. Funny thing is, when Josh had an instagram, the main targets of his vitriol were people who depended on welfare to support their families. 😬

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Jessa keeps playing that Ben does have a job, so maybe he actually is at JB’s beck and call all the time? It wouldn’t surprise me, it doesn’t seem easy to get out from under JB’s thumb.

I think Ben is totally clueless and he’s doing what he’s told (by JB and Jessa). Unfortunately, Jessa is clueless, too, and JB is genuinely shrewd, it’s like his one actual skill.

• Love 11

When Ben and Jessa married, Ben was still a kid. Shortly after, 19 Kids became Jill and Jessa Counting On. I'm sure he got caught up in the filming and 'stardom' of it all.

Counting On has been on a slow decline ever since and Ben isn't a kid anymore. I'm thinking Jessa wants it both ways, she wants a husband who works (just so she can say so), but really wants a husband who is always around.

Jessa is so caught up with her public persona and embarrassment of her abnormal childhood that she lies and manipulates everything. If they can financially survive with Ben being a part-time handyman and tutor, Jessa should just own it. However, I think Jessa is limited in what she truly knows about how the real world works, so if we snark on something, she 'changes' it.

Anyway, I'm guessing if Ben hated his 'jobs' he'd find something else, but I think Jessa and Ben see only a reason to hide it, not change it.

• Love 11

I don't think Ben has much say in what goes on in his life. The house and kids are Jessa's domain and everything else is subject to Jim Bob's desire to maintain their audience and perfect christian family image. Yes, he's a grown man and supposedly the authority for his family, but he's also a brainwashed kid who went from being under his parent's thumb to being under Jim Bob's. Their cult doesn't encourage kids to grow up and become independent, in fact, it punishes and shames them for even wanting to be their own man/woman. 

Even if Ben wanted to become an actual adult who provides for his family instead of relying on his father-in-law, he'd have an almost impossible time. He's uneducated, immature, and has no real work experience as an adult. While there is no shame in working in retail or fast food for minimum wage, it doesn't pay enough to support a wife and three kids. Not to mention the fact that Jessa would either make his life a living hell or pack up the kids and move to the TTH until he came to his senses.

• Love 10

I find myself surprised that Ben didn't just finish up school in an education major and then legitimately set up as the teacher for the SOTDRT.  It's a real job that would keep him isolated where JB and Jessa could keep his leash tight and it's a job that NEEDS doing in that family.  And it would be a great "F U internetz" move as well.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I find myself surprised that Ben didn't just finish up school in an education major and then legitimately set up as the teacher for the SOTDRT.  It's a real job that would keep him isolated where JB and Jessa could keep his leash tight and it's a job that NEEDS doing in that family.  And it would be a great "F U internetz" move as well.

I wonder what Ben really does. I know we speculate that he is a gofer for JB, but, we really don't know.  Will be interesting when we find out one day.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Has Ben ever said he was interested in teaching? Getting a four year degree would be a lot of time, money and effort for a job with little to no pay. And they're running out of kids. I'm guessing the next generation doesn't have the funds to pay Ben.

This pandemic may hurry the demise of Counting On. It'll be interesting to see if Ben all of a sudden has a 'real' job.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It always strikes me as telling that the Duggars revere JB's mother Mary as such a Godly influence. Happy Birthday Ivy! I think Jessa is likely pregnant with #4, but this is speculation on my part. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Darling child, how are you ONE already with no stitches or broken bones?

Just wanted to add, stitches or broken bones by accidents - not abuse. Like by toddling on a rickety chair.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Have they enrolled her in ballet already or is this some sort of Insta-thing?  (the tutu)

Definitely an insta-thing.  My friend used to make a killing off of homemade tutus because moms of little girls would buy them in several different colors for Facebook/Instagram photo shoots. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 5/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, VioletWitch said:

Josh is probably the only one who can’t have a regular 9 to 5 job in the community and will most likely be supported by JB all his life. Funny thing is, when Josh had an instagram, the main targets of his vitriol were people who depended on welfare to support their families. 😬

Pot meet kettle 🤣

• Love 5
7 hours ago, awaken said:

I’m sure ivy will enjoy seeing these birthday wishes on Instagram!  

Train 'em early.

By the time she can read a birthday message for herself, she'll think it's 100-percent normal to have all your birthday wishes written and published to prove something to strangers online....and not to get any that are actually sent personally for you.  

It's what people who definitely aren't tv families do. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Definitely an insta-thing.  My friend used to make a killing off of homemade tutus because moms of little girls would buy them in several different colors for Facebook/Instagram photo shoots. 

My daughter was never a "girly girl", and resisted wearing dresses all the time she was growing up. She has been dressing her daughter in mostly gender-neutral clothing since she was born. But my granddaughter has definitely inherited my love for shiny, sparkly things, ribbons, and lace. When she was about Ivy's age here, she spotted a sparkly pink tutu in a baby consignment store, and HAD to have it. She's never happier, at 25 months, than when she's dressed in something princess-ey, with bangles, beads, and her tiara, and admires herself in reflective surfaces. 

I know that a lot of parents do actually buy these things in all sorts of colors for photo shoots, but there's also every chance that Ivy just really does love to get to wear them, so I can't fault Jessa for having one, or a few, in her wardrobe.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My daughter was never a "girly girl", and resisted wearing dresses all the time she was growing up. She has been dressing her daughter in mostly gender-neutral clothing since she was born. But my granddaughter has definitely inherited my love for shiny, sparkly things, ribbons, and lace. When she was about Ivy's age here, she spotted a sparkly pink tutu in a baby consignment store, and HAD to have it. She's never happier, at 25 months, than when she's dressed in something princess-ey, with bangles, beads, and her tiara, and admires herself in reflective surfaces. 

I know that a lot of parents do actually buy these things in all sorts of colors for photo shoots, but there's also every chance that Ivy just really does love to get to wear them, so I can't fault Jessa for having one, or a few, in her wardrobe.

I know more than a couple of little girls who have tutus that they wear regularly.  My niece, who did, in fact, take dance classes, had a 'dress up' box that included tutus and superhero costumes and cowgirl stuff and firefighter gear.  She sometimes wore all of it at once.  I don't have any problem with Ivy wearing the occasional tutu, especially as she grows and expresses her own preferences.  If she likes it, she should wear it, IMO.  Within reason, of course.

• Love 10

I have a girl, 2 years old. Hate those tutus.

She rarely weard dresses because she is always running, jumping, climbing, and all of that is easier in leggings

I acctualy don't find Ivy very cute, but who knows what future brings. Felicity was cute as a baby, now not so much. The tables turn

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I acctualy don't find Ivy very cute, but who knows what future brings. Felicity was cute as a baby, now not so much. The tables turn

It's interesting, because oftentimes features that look cartoonish on babies make for really good looking adults. Ivy has sort of a creepy, possessed doll look about her now, but I think she'll be really pretty as she grows up. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

The pizza sauce/tomato sauce even though jarred counts for a bit of vegetable.  It would be better if she worked with the kids on adding some fresh vegetables, but it beats some of the other Duggar family meals.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Totally said:

Yeast, flour, salt and water.

So simple, I don’t know why these stay at home Mum’s don’t make their own pizza dough.

These are the Duggar daughters we are talking about. These are the same people who buy used shoes for their kids, think educating their kids is unnecessary, want to tell everyone how they can live their lives because they know best, and think Tater Tot casserole is good food. They avoid all work.

This is also Jessa who "cooked" the paperwork that came with the oven because she never opened it.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Totally said:

Yeast, flour, salt and water.

So simple, I don’t know why these stay at home Mum’s don’t make their own pizza dough.

Do you mean Duggar moms? Fundy moms?

I was a stay at home mom for 10 years. Never did I make homemade dough for anything, or even contemplate it. Now I'm a semi-retired woman in the middle of a pandemic, seeing homemade everything posts all over SM, and still no dough.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Now I'm a semi-retired woman in the middle of a pandemic, seeing homemade everything posts all over SM, and still no dough.

I got a no-knead dough recipe for you! It's so easy you just mix it up and slap it into the fridge til you need it. Yummy too.

Baking is chemistry (needs to be accurate) but once you try it a few times, it's easy and you want to do more. There in lies the slippery slope.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe

• Useful 1
  • Love 7