Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Ben apparently blocked me on Twitter, although all I might have done was like a post opposing his POV. I was able to search him on my burner account. He's been tweeting up a storm about the evils of the prosperity gospel.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Cute.

As I listen to the music playing(knew the songs), I can only imagine what Jessa and Ben think of it. They probably tune it out or think it's the devil's music..lol

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Readalot said:

They must have a new or a TLC provided publicist who is doing a great job of dumping old news - Henry speech delay (saw it on the show so it was months ago), Abbie with the hyperemesis gravidarum (she went to the Bahamas so it was months ago).  I don’t trust anything that is released during their show season - these people are getting better at publicity. I think it’s all for show and to keep their names in the media. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ben apparently blocked me on Twitter, although all I might have done was like a post opposing his POV. I was able to search him on my burner account. He's been tweeting up a storm about the evils of the prosperity gospel.

I wonder how Jeremy feels about that. Doesn't Jer's current guru preach prosperity?

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
On 11/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, Sew Sumi said:

741A9EF8-AA16-4906-9D4F-19354D626214.png

• Love 2
On 11/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, wondering what Jeremy thinks of his BIL’s views, as he seems to be all about the prosperity!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Those donuts look miles better than Dunkin’ Donuts. And probably cost $5 each.

It's $1 for a glazed donut, $1.50 for a classic donut and $2 for a special donuts. Many of the donuts you will want to try will likely run you around $2 if you get them individually.

A quick Google got me the above sentance so not too much money at all!

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I've not eaten at that Hurts Donuts, but the one I did eat at--the donuts were good, but they were a little too elaborate for my taste and some of the people with me noted the same thing. The donuts were more pimped out than I prefer my donuts to be. 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, louannems said:

It's $1 for a glazed donut, $1.50 for a classic donut and $2 for a special donuts. Many of the donuts you will want to try will likely run you around $2 if you get them individually.

A quick Google got me the above sentance so not too much money at all!

Wow that’s cheap.  Here dunkin costs more than that. Of course I don’t remember last time I ate donuts period. 

2 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

Just watched the episode and it dawned on me, the “gender guessing party” was Blehssa smugly taunting everyone that she won’t tell the gender. What a bitch, there’s bitchy and then just a bitch. Who throws a party to taunt your family that “I know something you don’t know”. These morons really do have the emotional maturity of a child. She really enjoyed that attention, I don’t know who I dislike more, her or Lauren. 

Jessa's party went on way too long and was utterly boring. Those of us who watch have seen way too many of these stupid gender reveal parties and I'm always thinking, who cares?  It's a boy or it's a girl, NBD.  Especially after the first or second.  I can't believe any of the Duggar siblings care at this point.  It's just a contrived fill in the TV time nonsense.

• Love 23
22 hours ago, Nysha said:

Doesn't Jer's current guru preach prosperity?

No. MacArthur also preaches against the prosperity gospel. 

However -- he does like money and status and hangs around with people who give off that aura and tacitly insinuates (at least) that somehow the societal success and domination he and his buddies radiate (or at least hope to radiate) is connected to their faith....So .... 

It's complicated. 

Historically, prosperity Gospel mainly sprang up in America as a way to draw the poor and downtrodden into the church. In a few cases through history, it seems to have been preached in good faith by somebody who (naively, but honestly...) seemed to believe that God would reward you on earth for embracing faith. ..... Of course, for most of those preaching it, it's just been a) a way to draw crowds and b) a way to get those crowds to fork over money in hopes of gaining some kind of blessings by doing it. 

Meanwhile, you have a different -- but still money- and status-focused -- set of people (of the MacArthur type, the Vision Forum type, and plenty of others) who seem to actually believe they've succeeded in worldly terms because of their faith -- but they don't openly preach that or make that promise to others (in large part because they like being the only ones to get the benefit -- so they tend to feel that God chooses whom to bless in this way and that there's not a lot anybody can do about it if God decides not to make you one of the chosen group -- It's kind of mean-girls view of religion, in other words.)

These people may believe it more as a class thing than anything else, although they generally don't admit this, probably not even to themselves--

First, because ideas like that do sort of come down from the Puritans and some other old-time Protestants who believed that earthly wealth was a sign that you were one of God's favorites and that you were pleasing him... So it has a traditional place in some Christian theology.

And, second, because the Puritans and their ilk largely became the white northern-European upper-crust of the United States and had that social position -- and its accompanying power, pomp and money -- all to themselves for many many years ..... and some modern church people, especially those who are Calvinists like the Puritans, like to feel that the upper-crustiness is something they've inherited. 

So....wealth....Christianity....very very complicated.

And what people preach doesn't necessarily seem to reflect the personal principles and ideas on which they base their actual actions and attitudes. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 17
7 minutes ago, not you again said:

I never listen to their videos, but hasn't Jessa posted Spurg rattling off bible verses he can't possibly understand?  Where's the speech delay there?

Henry has the delay not Spurge.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

However -- he does like money and status and hangs around with people who give off that aura and tacitly insinuates (at least) that somehow the societal success and domination he and his buddies radiate (or at least hope to radiate) is connected to their faith....So .... 

This is why I thought he preached prosperity. Instead, he just believes and lives it.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Nysha said:

This is why I thought he preached prosperity. Instead, he just believes and lives it.

Exactly! 

Do as I say, not as I do! ....Very virtuous, moral and ethical attitude! Jesus must be so proud. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

If you believe in and preach the prosperity gospel, then you are saying that ANYONE can be rich if they do the right things, believe the right way, and do the right things.  

The Duggar's love prosperity and believe wholeheartedly they are entitled to be rich, but they don't seem to think anyone else deserves the worldly riches they enjoy.  They are SPECIAL.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

No. MacArthur also preaches against the prosperity gospel. 

It's complicated. 

Historically, prosperity Gospel mainly sprang up in America as a way to draw the poor and downtrodden into the church. In a few cases through history, it seems to have been preached in good faith by somebody who (naively, but honestly...) seemed to believe that God would reward you on earth for embracing faith. ..... Of course, for most of those preaching it, it's just been a) a way to draw crowds and b) a way to get those crowds to fork over money in hopes of gaining some kind of blessings by doing it. 

Meanwhile, you have a different -- but still money- and status-focused -- set of people (of the MacArthur type, the Vision Forum type, and plenty of others) who seem to actually believe they've succeeded in worldly terms because of their faith -- but they don't openly preach that or make that promise to others (in large part because they like being the only ones to get the benefit -- so they tend to feel that God chooses whom to bless in this way and that there's not a lot anybody can do about it if God decides not to make you one of the chosen group -- It's kind of mean-girls view of religion, in other words.)

These people may believe it more as a class thing than anything else, although they generally don't admit this, probably not even to themselves--

First, because ideas like that do sort of come down from the Puritans and some other old-time Protestants who believed that earthly wealth was a sign that you were one of God's favorites and that you were pleasing him... So it has a traditional place in some Christian theology.

And, second, because the Puritans and their ilk largely became the white northern-European upper-crust of the United States and had that social position -- and its accompanying power, pomp and money -- all to themselves for many many years ..... and some modern church people, especially those who are Calvinists like the Puritans, like to feel that the upper-crustiness is something they've inherited. 

So....wealth....Christianity....very very complicated.

And what people preach doesn't necessarily seem to reflect the personal principles and ideas on which they base their actual actions and attitudes. 

Did they completely gloss over the parts of the Bible that speak up how difficult it is for a rich man to get into heaven?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Did they completely gloss over the parts of the Bible that speak up how difficult it is for a rich man to get into heaven?

seems like it ... 

But, you know, the Bible does have lots of stuff about people being favored of God and so on, too. And there's probably nothing you can build a case for using biblical quotations that you can't also argue against using another quotation that's in there somewhere. 

Plus, when you're rich you never think you are. ... And you definitely never think you're one of those rich people. I'm sure that fact plays a role, too. 

• Love 9

So, the reveal, but not reveal party was just for the Duggar side? Does Ben's side of the family not count for anything? I understand they don't seem to be filmed anymore. This shows me just how staged-for-tv all of this really is. I also believe that they all knew that she was having a girl. This 'suspense' thing is just for the show.

I also would like to know specifically, just how is having baby after baby a blessing from God? If God wants to bless someone in their life, he doesn't take a 'baby head count' before deciding to do so. I have only 2 children and know that God has directed my life at certain times when things seemed impossible. How do they explain that? I also have a shorter hairdo and wear pants and shorts. Duggars, please explain.

• Love 17

I too have always thought it was staged to make a show. It is not a documentary. How many retakes so they have to get to be sure everyone does/says things in the right order.   Scripted reality. Maybe not every word but the ideas and the scenes.  Fake. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Those parts are in the 4 Gospels and not in the Letters of Paul.  The Bible has a lot if books, you can't expect a Duggar or Bin to actually read the first 4 books of the New Testament.   There's not enough time in a day for that.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I too have always thought it was staged to make a show. It is not a documentary. How many retakes so they have to get to be sure everyone does/says things in the right order.   Scripted reality. Maybe not every word but the ideas and the scenes.  Fake. 

Most reality shows are pretty fake, though. Although I do think this seems to be more staged than in years past.

If anything, the early specials (i.e., back when Jackson, etc. were born) seemed more like documentaries than a true reality show.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Most reality shows are pretty fake, though. Although I do think this seems to be more staged than in years past.

If anything, the early specials (i.e., back when Jackson, etc. were born) seemed more like documentaries than a true reality show.

I agree the early episodes were very uneventful. Just a day in the life of a backwards family. My interest in the family stayed because it seemed unreal that this family proudly touted raising their children in a oppressive way.

• Love 11
On 11/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Churchhoney said:

seems like it ... 

But, you know, the Bible does have lots of stuff about people being favored of God and so on, too. And there's probably nothing you can build a case for using biblical quotations that you can't also argue against using another quotation that's in there somewhere. 

Plus, when you're rich you never think you are. ... And you definitely never think you're one of those rich people. I'm sure that fact plays a role, too. 

True, although they seem to skip over all the Bible passages that talk about the wealthy and not in a positive light. There's the one about how hard it is for the wealthy to get into Heaven and 1 Timothy 6:7-10 about money being the root of all evil. Its pretty convenient how they skip all over that. Then again they skip over most of Jesus's sayings too. So many times I wonder if any of them have actually read the Bible. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

About that deck.....they needed to have it inspected by the COUNTY building inspector. Someone should call the county building department and check it out.

Those boys broke into an exterior wall of that house....no permit?

I was thinking the same thing.  I work for county government and people don't realize how many types of minor construction require a permit.  Since it's a Duggar, though, they probably know, but don't care.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Permits are for heathens.  The godly Duggars don't bother with those pesky details.

Not just the Duggars, my non-church-going husband cut through the roof of our house to turn an alcove into a bedroom and wired in the lights, electrical sockets, and ran a line to the breaker box without ever getting a permit. It's amazing what you can get away with when your closest neighbor is a mile away.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

That deck project was filmed for the whole country to see. They needed to follow county building code rules and POST the permit for that project. TLC should have shown the permit for a second or two to let the viewing public know that they did it legally. Where is their fine if they did not?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

That deck project was filmed for the whole country to see. They needed to follow county building code rules and POST the permit for that project. TLC should have shown the permit for a second or two to let the viewing public know that they did it legally. Where is their fine if they did not?

Wasn't Jed2020 involved in this because that's a great look for someone who's running for office. 

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Wasn't Jed2020 involved in this because that's a great look for someone who's running for office. 

Evidently a lot of politicians think rules don't apply to them, so what'shisname fits right in.

Edited by Chicklet
He's a generic Duggar to me, they all look alike and I can't tell them apart.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7