Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I never read the Bible.

was Jesus married?

Not in the Bible.  However, the Bible doesn't really cover his personal life as an adult.  He travels around preaching, he has apostles and disciples who follow him.  It's not a romance novel.

In other words, people interpret the lack of discussion of a wife and family as an indication that Jesus had neither, but, the Bible isn't telling that story anyway because whether he was married or not is not relevant to the message, IMO.

• Love 23
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Not in the Bible.  However, the Bible doesn't really cover his personal life as an adult.  He travels around preaching, he has apostles and disciples who follow him.  It's not a romance novel.

In other words, people interpret the lack of discussion of a wife and family as an indication that Jesus had neither, but, the Bible isn't telling that story anyway because whether he was married or not is not relevant to the message, IMO.

Well it might impact the Catholic Church’s insistence on unmarried priests if Jesus himself managed it. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It bothers me more on the level of there being that number of people who find the Duggars inspiring enough to follow than the Duggars making some money off it, to be honest. That's the bigger problem.

And such is the nature of about 1/3 of the country. 😢

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

It sucks, but if Babe and Jinger can grift their way into semi-wealthy circles, expensive house, free education, and minimal effort degree, I don’t have a problem with Jessa using this method to support her family.  She’s nowhere near Vuolo levels for me. 

But isn’t it wrong for the woman to support the household? What about her headship?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

But isn’t it wrong for the woman to support the household? What about her headship?

No, Gothard actually encourages women to have home-based businesses that they can work on while taking care of their family and even have the kids pitch in on.  That's why so many of the women are involved in schemes like Citrus and Lemons, Lulu Lemon and such.  So, I imagine Jessa considers the online grifting to be her little home-based business and Bin is still the big strong man who goes off to work each day. 

Also, all of the Duggar women have ostensibly earned more money than their husbands since they are the ones who had the TV show.  Of course, their husbands undoubtedly pocketed the checks and perhaps in Derrick's case, wouldn't allow Jill to continue filming; but there's really no doubt that at least 3 out of 4 married daughters have at one time or another outearned their husbands.  Not sure about Joy and maybe Jill when Derrick was at WalMart.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think the OP was referring to the paragraphs underneath, where Jessa gives us parenting advice.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure she is saying anything different than most of us would have when observing children of that age, so eager to help, but still so clumsy. I can't see that as any sort of holier than though lecturing. It's not as though she was trying to tell us that she was the first person in the history of parenthood to have made that observation, only that it was a cool sort of stage in their lives.

• Love 12

I thought the whole post was rather nice. He seemed happy to help and she thanked him. Its nice that he’s learning to do laundry—children need to learn life skills, and I don’t see that he’s taking the job from his parents. It’s likely something his uncles never had to try. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jessa comes off as a know-it-all TO ME. MMV, obviously.

Yeah, she kind of does.

But since I come off as about 10x that much of a know-it-all on a very regular basis (hourly?), I can't really complain about Jessa's little paragraph.....

And she is right to think that a lot of times adults push kids aside when it'd be very little trouble and give a much better long-term outcome if we just let them "help" a bit when they're little and still actually want to....I'm glad she knows that, really. 

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

She's not lecturing but how in the heck is all of that shoved in the dryer going to dry. No way it could have gotten clean in the washer.

Well, this is a household where dirty diapers get stacked onto the dresser and only discarded when the pile reaches a height of about two feet.......

So, you know, standards may be a little different.... 😀

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Rescue Mama said:

I just read it and I still don't see any lecturing. 

Please know that I'm not defending anyone in this family. 

I’m going to defend Jessa and Ben’s parenting.  They appear to be good parents.  They have children who seem to be happy, content and healthy.  Her verbal exchange with Spurgeon almost melted my icy-cold heart:  

“Thank you, Spurgie.”  “You’re welcome, Mommy.” 💘🥰

• Love 20
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Spurgie is such a bad name.

Why in the hell Bin wouldn't just name him Charles Spurgeon Seewald -- which seems like a perfectly good name and would have given him a good first name--  is completely beyond me. 

I suppose it had something to do with an ambition to name the kid after two big "Christian heroes" not merely one (I'm more religious than you are. I'm more religious than you! I'm more religious because I get Chapel Ration and name my kid after two holy guys!  I'm more religious than you!)

I can't even remember who the other guy is any more. But I suppose being determined to name the poor child after two people meant he only had room for one of CS's names....and, of course, "Charles" wouldn't make the point. So it had to be "Spurgeon" and the hell with the depressing consequences in Spurge's future. 

It's not as if Bin thought he was in danger of having only one son so he'd have to slap all his heroes' names on the one kid. Despite being mildly preferable to some of the other in-laws, Bin was just thoughtless and stupid on this point. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Elliott would've been nice. You can't even make a halfway decent nickname out of Spurgeon.

Yes, Spurgeon is truly a horrible name, but I always thought Spur would work as a nickname.  It would be in the same style as Rock Hudson, and Tab Hunter.

Edited by Suzn
Duh! Stupid mistake.
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

My mostly indoor kitty kills and eats flies.  Yecch!  

Charles Spurgeon Seewald would have been perfect.  Charlie, Chip, Chas, etc.  Spurgie is just all kinds of wrong, and I feel sorry for him with that terrible name.  

Lucky!  Mine sniffed a fly body and walked away.  

I like your nickname suggestions!  Lucky Spurge won't go to public school and have to climb out of trashcans daily.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I like your nickname suggestions!  Lucky Spurge won't go to public school and have to climb out of trashcans daily.

On the other hand, the trashcan experience would probably be good on-the-job training for the day he takes over his father's role in the Duggar business empire. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 18
54 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Lucky Spurge won't go to public school and have to climb out of trashcans daily.

How sad is it that this beautiful child's name is so awful that saying he's lucky he won't go to public school can be our thought.😩

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Why in the hell Bin wouldn't just name him Charles Spurgeon Seewald -- which seems like a perfectly good name and would have given him a good first name--  is completely beyond me. 

I suppose it had something to do with an ambition to name the kid after two big "Christian heroes" not merely one (I'm more religious than you are. I'm more religious than you! I'm more religious because I get Chapel Ration and name my kid after two holy guys!  I'm more religious than you!)

I can't even remember who the other guy is any more. But I suppose being determined to name the poor child after two people meant he only had room for one of CS's names....and, of course, "Charles" wouldn't make the point. So it had to be "Spurgeon" and the hell with the depressing consequences in Spurge's future. 

It's not as if Bin thought he was in danger of having only one son so he'd have to slap all his heroes' names on the one kid. Despite being mildly preferable to some of the other in-laws, Bin was just thoughtless and stupid on this point. 

Jim Elliot 

Elliot with one t

Two last names

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I'm glad to see Spurg doing laundry, which in Gothard is "wimmins" work. My kids love helping with the laundry. And those are pretty fancy machines Jessa has there.  

His sister isn't old enough yet. I'm sure that once she is she'll be taking over. 

• Love 4
On 9/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, xwordfanatik said:

My mostly indoor kitty kills and eats flies.  Yecch!  

Charles Spurgeon Seewald would have been perfect.  Charlie, Chip, Chas, etc.  Spurgie is just all kinds of wrong, and I feel sorry for him with that terrible name.  

Extra source of protein!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, Madtown said:

I wouldn't touch that blanket that ended up on the floor knowing how Jessa cleans. Plus Sprugeon stood on it with his probably not so clean feet.

There's no way I'd ever put something in the dryer that has fallen on the floor while transferring it from the washer, no matter how clean the floor is.   (My sister does that now and then and it drives me crazy.)  But then I'm a nutty germaphobe. 😋

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2019 at 6:28 PM, Gemma Violet said:

There's no way I'd ever put something in the dryer that has fallen on the floor while transferring it from the washer, no matter how clean the floor is.   (My sister does that now and then and it drives me crazy.)  But then I'm a nutty germaphobe. 😋

LOL...yeah, I have to agree that's a bit into the nutty end of the spectrum! But to each their own 🙂

• Love 4

I put dropped washed clothes into the dryer - but I shake it out first, just in case there's dirty hair, pet hair or a bug on the floor. I would not however, put that sheet that Spurgie ground into the floor with his Duggar feet.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4