Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Chris Knight

The Seewalds: Benessa and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Name...and Henry & Ivy

30 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I had forgotten just how tight her shirts were.

Screenshot_20190119-195313.jpg

Jill was the worst when it came to those skintight shirts. I've never seen her in a top smaller than an XL, when not pregnant. 

Screenshot_20190119-182329_Google.thumb.jpg.b2cc28029567bbc63557280b79cfb125.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jill was the worst when it came to those skintight shirts. I've never seen her in a top smaller than an XL, when not pregnant. 

Screenshot_20190119-182329_Google.thumb.jpg.b2cc28029567bbc63557280b79cfb125.jpg

I think Jill looks fine. Like a “normal” 3rd trimester pregnant woman to me. 

Jessa’s top looks like she could’ve gone up a size. I guess people wouldn’t find their pregnancy looks so strange if they didn’t harp on “modesty” every moment they are not gestating. 

• Like 24

4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I had forgotten just how tight her shirts were.

Screenshot_20190119-195313.jpg

NIKE! 

Seriously how is that considered modest? We can see everything!

jill looks fine to me though her top was clearly not skin tight unlike Jessa. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Like 14

I remember that picture! They were in an airport, headed off to one of those Southern Women shows at which she appeared. I recall they canceled the last one which never should have been scheduled, two weeks from Spurge's due date.

• Like 2

And that picture of Jessa is the gray sweater was taken in the living room. She must have brought out a full length mirror and placed it on her couch, to get that picture. Just as intentional as Jeremy's and Jinger's photos, she just doesn't have eye for photo composition.

• Like 7

Is that a recent photo? I checked her IG account today and it's not among the recent posts. 

Edited to add: I found it. It's part of a collage she posted in January 2017 when she was pregnant with Henry: 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

Lol. Apparently she’s too lazy to take new pics for this baby?

or it’s gotten old?

Baby bump still to small I guess

3 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

I see skin under that shirt - between her skirt and black bra.  Harlot!

For the Fundy world she might as well be doing a Demi Moore or Kim Kardashian naked bump picture.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

For the Fundy world she might as well be doing a Demi Moore or Kim Kardashian naked bump picture.

Well, it was rammed into their heads constantly as kids that THAT, and THAT ALONE, is woman's glory and entire worth on earth. And once that baby starts suckling you forget its name and hand it over to a seven-year-old to raise and educate. You spend your childhood and youth counting out some woman's fertility cycles on the fridge door and I guess these various neuroses and eccentricities of the Duggarling women are what you get.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 16

59 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

or it’s gotten old?

Jessa hasn’t reposted this, or posted any bump flaunting pics, since the recent pregnancy announcement. Someone pulled it up and posted it here, I think in connection with the discussion of her crazy unmodest pregnancy wardrobe.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

or it’s gotten old?

Probably a combination of both.  And also, it wouldn't surprise me if there aren't as many pictures of Henry as there are of Spurge.  Most parents have lots of pictures and videos documenting the pregnancy and milestones for their first child; the others, not so much. 

51 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Jessa hasn’t reposted this, or posted any bump flaunting pics, since the recent pregnancy announcement. Someone pulled it up and posted it here, I think in connection with the discussion of her crazy unmodest pregnancy wardrobe.

It was a 36 week bump comparison. Since she's nowhere near 36 weeks with this one, the point is really moot.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

or it’s gotten old?

I think people are just posting old photos again here.  Please identify a new photo versus an old one it gets confusing for some of us. 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jessa’s top looks like she could’ve gone up a size. I guess people wouldn’t find their pregnancy looks so strange if they didn’t harp on “modesty” every moment they are not gestating. 

I personally just think Jessa's is worse because it's such a light color. If she wore a shirt like that in black, I don't think it would have looked quite that terrible. It's just so, so tight in addition to being a light color, while Jill's is just tight, but not quite a solid obnoxious (IMO) because it's darker. They both look terrible though!

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I personally just think Jessa's is worse because it's such a light color. If she wore a shirt like that in black, I don't think it would have looked quite that terrible. It's just so, so tight in addition to being a light color, while Jill's is just tight, but not quite a solid obnoxious (IMO) because it's darker. They both look terrible though!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Jessa is only 3 months pregnant. Probably another month before she does a bump photo shoot.

Jessa said she's due in late spring, so end of June.  That would put her at 4 months.  Soon, she will be posing with Ben standing behind her, hand possessively on her belly, or posing sideways in the mirror, back arched, hand on her belly.  Or the pose I really hate: husband making heart hands over the fetus.

• Like 15

40 minutes ago, louannems said:

Jessa said she's due in late spring, so end of June.  That would put her at 4 months.  Soon, she will be posing with Ben standing behind her, hand possessively on her belly, or posing sideways in the mirror, back arched, hand on her belly.  Or the pose I really hate: husband making heart hands over the fetus.

If she is due in late june she is more than halfway through ( 20+ weeks) and more than likely has a good size bump already considering it is her third pregnancy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I find it hard to really label either of these (or, really, most of the Duggar photos) as actually "terrible". With the exception of maybe some of Jill's completely clueless compositions, I find most Duggar photos firmly in the "meh" category. I mean, I see pregnant women out and about dressed similarly on a fairly regular basis, and while those fashions are not what I would have worn back in the day, mostly because the big, billowy maternity clothes were still the thing, I don't actually stop in my tracks to bother thinking about how they look to me.

I remember my daughter, when she was  about 7 months pregnant, coming over for dinner once with a skin tight dress which I didn't think was very flattering, but she had just found the dress and obviously found it a boost to her self-confidence at that point, where she was too far along to use flowy tops sand cardigans as camouflage, and just show off the "bump" with flair and pride. And why not? I'd never think of criticizing her for it, anyway.

At any rate, I think an adjective such as "terrible" should be reserved for looks which are just way beyond the pale or truly disturbing in some way rather than a bit of a fashion faux pas. I'm pretty sure any one of us here has stepped out in something somewhere along the line, which would be labelled as "terrible" by someone who didn't particularly like us to start with.

3 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

If she is due in late june she is more than halfway through ( 20+ weeks) and more than likely has a good size bump already considering it is her third pregnancy.

My third pregnancy was actually the one in which I carried the baby basically sitting somewhere in  the vicinity of my tailbone the entire time. Whereas with my first, people were asking me, anxiously,  when I was due by the time I was in my sixth month, I could get away with a swingy A-line dress and barely look pregnant pretty much into my eighth month with my third. She might just be carrying differently.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I find it hard to really label either of these (or, really, most of the Duggar photos) as actually "terrible". With the exception of maybe some of Jill's completely clueless compositions, I find most Duggar photos firmly in the "meh" category. I mean, I see pregnant women out and about dressed similarly on a fairly regular basis, and while those fashions are not what I would have worn back in the day, mostly because the big, billowy maternity clothes were still the thing, I don't actually stop in my tracks to bother thinking about how they look to me.

I remember my daughter, when she was  about 7 months pregnant, coming over for dinner once with a skin tight dress which I didn't think was very flattering, but she had just found the dress and obviously found it a boost to her self-confidence at that point, where she was too far along to use flowy tops sand cardigans as camouflage, and just show off the "bump" with flair and pride. And why not? I'd never think of criticizing her for it, anyway.

At any rate, I think an adjective such as "terrible" should be reserved for looks which are just way beyond the pale or truly disturbing in some way rather than a bit of a fashion faux pas. I'm pretty sure any one of us here has stepped out in something somewhere along the line, which would be labelled as "terrible" by someone who didn't particularly like us to start with.

My third pregnancy was actually the one in which I carried the baby basically sitting somewhere in  the vicinity of my tailbone the entire time. Whereas with my first, people were asking me, anxiously,  when I was due by the time I was in my sixth month, I could get away with a swingy A-line dress and barely look pregnant pretty much into my eighth month with my third. She might just be carrying differently.

Sorry, didn't mean to be mean! I actually don't dislike Jessa, and while I do dislike Jill, I feel bad for her too. I was writing in a hurry and just said the first word that came to my mind. I don't think either look is flattering, but I would never want them to think they're ugly. And I just happen to come to a family where if my mom could see the outline of your body, the outfit was "skin tight," so I would never, ever, ever, ever wear something this tight, and would be braced to hear about how awful I looked the second I saw my mom. Wearing skin tight clothes isn't taboo to everyone though, and sorry if I didn't use the right words!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be mean! I actually don't dislike Jessa, and while I do dislike Jill, I feel bad for her too. I was writing in a hurry and just said the first word that came to my mind. I don't think either look is flattering, but I would never want them to think they're ugly. And I just happen to come to a family where if my mom could see the outline of your body, the outfit was "skin tight," so I would never, ever, ever, ever wear something this tight, and would be braced to hear about how awful I looked the second I saw my mom. Wearing skin tight clothes isn't taboo to everyone though, and sorry if I didn't use the right words!

No big deal...it's just that I see that so often, here and elsewhere, where people get so critical of every little thing connected with someone they don't like, while managing to remain blind to more or less exactly the same kinds of things when it comes to friends or people they agree with. And as much as I love to snark on the Duggars with the best of you lot, sometimes it just strikes me that there's a bit more of a double standard there than there strictly should be.

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

No big deal...it's just that I see that so often, here and elsewhere, where people get so critical of every little thing connected with someone they don't like, while managing to remain blind to more or less exactly the same kinds of things when it comes to friends or people they agree with. And as much as I love to snark on the Duggars with the best of you lot, sometimes it just strikes me that there's a bit more of a double standard there than there strictly should be.

Oh, I completely agree! I hate the look in general, though, even if my best friend wore it. I think skin tight clothes shouldn't be worn ever while pregnant unless they are a dark color and/or thicker fabric. I think thin cotton fabric in a light color over any pregnant woman would not be flattering. But I agree with you that sometimes people go too far with picking on every little thing, when plenty of other people do those things in society!

FWIW if they want to wear skin tight clothes during maternity, I think something like this looks very classy! It's in a Nordstrom ad, so it's obviously expensive, but it's a well made, structured dress in a thicker fabric, and IMO looks acceptable, even though just as tight. 

IMG_8895.PNG

FWIW if they want to wear skin tight clothes during maternity, I think something like this looks very classy! It's in a Nordstrom ad, so it's obviously expensive, but it's a well made, structured dress in a thicker fabric, and IMO looks acceptable, even though just as tight. 

IMG_8895.PNG

IMG_8895.PNG

4 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think people are just posting old photos again here.  Please identify a new photo versus an old one it gets confusing for some of us. 

You're right, I should have. 😊

This was from People™ magazine on  August 13, 2015

Screenshot_20190120-203601.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket

10 hours ago, Normades said:

I know many may disagree with me, but personally, I don't want to see pregnant belly buttons popping out.  I wore nice maternity clothes and there were some that accentuated my bump, but I never wore anything skin tight or with thin fabric.  I think you can show off your body if  you're feeling pretty and sexy without being tacky.  The Duggars will never get a handle on that.

I agree. But it's probably a stretch to ask any child of Jim Bob Duggar to not be tacky!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 14

20 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Here's my take on Duggarling inconsistencies and hypocrisies, especially when it comes to the hot-button issue -- sexuality, in all its facets.

Their minds have been warped and utterly blinded by the life they've led and by the near-insane parents who've raised them and the further training-in-lies they've received from being in the Gothard cult and then living out nearly their whole lives on UNreality television. They don't know what they're doing. They're acting out all kinds of shit related to the stuff that they've been forced to repress their whole lives and all the many many many many many many many lies they've been directed and forced to swallow and to tell, and when you're doing that logic and consistency have no sway at all! 

They've spent their whole lives in an unnatural horror-shit-show that's completely dominated by lies lies lies lies lies. And despite having lived in a hideous environment with parents who don't have a single clue how to love or care for their kids, they've been brainwashed into swallowing the idea that it was, in fact, the ideal environment and that they're more rational, healthy, educated and prepared for a great adulthood than anyone else in the world. In fact, all they are are a pile of people who are completely programmed to embrace and believe a giant giant pile of their  own and their parents' lies. 

I was raised in some shit that was very similar in the bad ways (though quite different in detail and culture) and when I got out I did every damn thing backwards and upside down and contrary wise and totally contrary to what I claimed to be doing for YEARS.....

And I was like that despite probably having an IQ twice that of the Duggars, getting out on purpose, craving education and getting as much of it as I could, becoming a devotee of counseling and therapy and getting a bunch of it, reading everything I could find about how to heal and get past such a mess, going to 12-step groups, going far away from the family and living away from them while making many actual friends in the real world....and having been smart enough to see through the home-fires bullshit from the time I was a tiny child.....AND YET....although I always saw a lot of the truth and fought against it my whole life, I still emerged as a victim of the brainwashing and gaslighting who was nutso in the extreme, neurotic as hell and inconsistent as all get out and highly confused about everything in my life for many years.

And this was the result for somebody very very smart and very very strong. The Duggarlings, by contrast, all appear to me to be pretty weak and dull by nature. AND they're almost all still living right in the stew of falsity they grew up in AND their livelihood has depended on buying the bullshit their parents are selling. (about every topic under the sun, but especially about sexuality and how women should behave...)

Now obviously this is all the lens I'm looking through. But what I know from my real-life experience is that every time I've thought I was looking at a situation similar to the one I was raised in, it's eventually turned out that, yes, it was. And I know firsthand what a mess such a situation can make of your mind and your behavior. How stuff you'd repressed and didn't even know about can come out in your behavior in ways that seem normal to you at the time and then horrify you later when you've moved forward and can see more clearly.... 

The difference between me and most of the Duggars, though, is that they'll most likely never figure things out. They'll go right on taking photos of their pregnant selves in skintight garments and duck lips while firmly and sincerely believing that they're the most modest dressers on the planet. .... And they'll do this not because they're bad people and conscious hypocrites but because the life of lies they've lived since birth has made them into giant unconscious liars themselves -- especially about anything related to sexuality. And because they're not bright or unhappy or brave enough to realize what messes they are and go away and find help for their condition. 

I just don't believe they can be judged by normal standards, unfortunately. 

That statement is truer than true.

I'm guessing though that even the Duggars have a concrete understanding of the word opposite. They've been calling out Nike since the could talk. Their parents and belief system have pounded into their heads that that when not covered "properly" the female body is ogled with sexual desires. I believe Jessa knows when she's not dressing modest. Whether she uses pregnancy as her Get Out Of Hell card or not, I think she is very aware.

• Like 21

My take on "immodest" maternity clothes has always been that they don't see pregnant bodies as sexual, so as long as they don't show cleavage or thighs, they're modest by default. That coupled with just being cheap, and we get them squeezing into and stretching out too small tops. I don't it's anything more complicated than that. 

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That statement is truer than true.

I'm guessing though that even the Duggars have a concrete understanding of the word opposite. They've been calling out Nike since the could talk. Their parents and belief system have pounded into their heads that that when not covered "properly" the female body is ogled with sexual desires. I believe Jessa knows when she's not dressing modest. Whether she uses pregnancy as her Get Out Of Hell card or not, I think she is very aware.

For me, the question is how far into her brain she allows the thought to enter. "These are tight, revealing clothes." Yeah, I'm sure she gets that. Just like she gets that she has two legs and the sky is sometimes blue. And I expect that, as you imply, she does get a little wicked thrill out of it! Although she may suppress that high so quickly she's not fully aware of it .... A high is a high, though! 

But what I consider doubtful is that the mindset she's carried out of her childhood enables her to take the next step -- which you do when you're not just aware of something but have enough sense of context and possible contradictions and questioning of things to want to figure out why you're doing something, what the ethics of it are, whether it fits in with the bigger picture you have of life, whether it's consistent with the things you say you believe. 

To ask, for example -- "Could wearing tight clothes when I'm a married pregnant woman birthing babies for Jesus be just as dangerously immodest as wearing them when I'm not a married pregnant woman?" "Could it be hypocritical to condone wearing tight revealing clothes sometimes but not other times?" "Is posting photos of myself in this tight outfit appropriate since I'm always telling women that God requires them to dress modestly?" "Why do I feel that I can and should wear tight clothes now when during the rest of my life I only feel right wearing three or four tents, one on top of the other?" 

Obviously those are the questions people ask about her tight-shirt photos. But my guess is that she doesn't ask those questions. Because her whole upbringing militates against asking any questions. Especially when things are going your way. And especially when they're related to sexuality.

And if she doesn't ask the questions, what kind of awareness does she really have? And since she never talks to anybody but Duggars or Duggar sycophants, she'll never even run into anyone who asks her to connect more of the dots. 

• Like 16

47 minutes ago, lascuba said:

My take on "immodest" maternity clothes has always been that they don't see pregnant bodies as sexual, so as long as they don't show cleavage or thighs, they're modest by default. That coupled with just being cheap, and we get them squeezing into and stretching out too small tops. I don't it's anything more complicated than that. 

This is about the way I read it as well...The modesty goes out of the window because, a) they are entitled to flaunt the fact that they are gestating the next soldier in the army for Christ, b) they don't actually NEED to keep a careful eye on staying slim because it's not gonna happen anyway, so c) they are not going to be attractive at any time in the immediate future, therefore d) they don't need to worry about those pesky eye-traps...plus, possibly, they just don't bother with a lot of maternity clothes in any case, but just wear what they can stretch over themselves. They probably don't even really think their own husbands are going to be attracted to them, but still have to stay joyfully available even when they are "big pregnant" because whether or not their headships actually find them attractive, they still need those sandwiches, and you don't want them to end up down at the local diner, so to speak. I imagine that sex during pregnancy is seen as far more of another chore that must be done than anything else since it's not for procreation and can't be a lot of fun because they see themselves as unattractive.

• Like 9

When I was pregnant,  I was more apt to wear tight tops because otherwise I just looked fat. A bump-hugging shirt made the distinction for me.

The Duggar girls look like most pregnant women their age to me. Even their long hair is pretty typical, since many young women I know let their hair grow during pregnancy because hormones and prenatal vitamins make the hair thicker and grow faster.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

I wore fitted maternity clothes the whole time ( and yoga pants- well I am a yoga teacher lol) I wore a fitted maternity mini dress to my shower! I thought i looked great. Anything flowy made me look morbidly obese and I would feel terrible about myself . So skin tight it was. It was more flattering.

The duggar girls look horrible not because they are pregnant or wearing skin tight clothes, it is because they dress terribly. Nothing fits properly, you can tell when someone who is pregnant is just wearing regular clothes. As a result they look sloppy and unkempt. Jessa's shirt looks horrible because it probably isn't a maternity shirt and is too small. They also have zero fashion sense.

It boggles my mind that they don't at least get decent secondhand maternity clothes. People will just give it away once they are done with it- you can find really nice stuff too at Goodwill or Facebook marketplace. Considering they will spend a ton of time pregnant they should make the investment. They are just lazy and it shows.

I believe that people should wear what makes them feel the most comfortable and confident. I can well imagine that, as a Yoga instructor, you have a lovely, lithe and strong figure, and that being able to highlight the strengths in it would make you feel much better than dressing in a tent. I also doubt very much that even if you DID dress in loose and flowy maternity clothing you would look anything near morbidly obese, garden-variety obese, or even particularly overweight, just that the extra visual bulk would make you feel as though you did and thus you might tend to feel a little self-conscious, as though someone might judge you.

I do think you make good points about their clothing just not fitting particularly well in general, and that very likely there's a bit of congenital Duggar laziness involved in it, but I still don't think they look "horrible" to the extent that if they were just random people on the street the sight of them would make me stop in anything like a mind-boggled way at the state of their wardrobe. Lots of people don't have a great sense of fashion, or particularly care about it, but in general that doesn't necessarily say anything about their worth otherwise.

I do realize we are talking about the Duggars, and there is a lot of judgement aimed toward them for a whole lot of things which we DO know about them, and for which they probably deserve some judgement. Maybe it's just me, but there's just still something which makes me a bit uncomfortable in stating unambiguously that they simply look horrible. They just don't look as though fashion means that much to them is all. Well within parameters of normality, though.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, queenanne said:

Just because I understand and stipulate that every human being passing me on the street possesses a pubic bone, for example, does not mean I want to be forced to contemplate everyone’s by a visual aid...

^^THANK YOU for that. 

• Like 10

I know that people are excited about their new baby but ...

... all sonograms look the same. And by baby #3 it's likely that no one except your family really cares. But thanks for sharing, Jessa.

• Like 22

On 1/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, farmgal4 said:

Ben looks 🔥 in that pic!

I don't understand what this means. Is he fiery? Or does that mean he's hot?  

Please excuse an old lady who knows nothing about these things. 

1 hour ago, Talky Tina said:

I don't understand what this means. Is he fiery? Or does that mean he's hot?  

Please excuse an old lady who knows nothing about these things. 

Hot as in datable?