Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

I am super picky about produce so I only do pickup at Byerly’s (one of our local posh grocery stores) and only because I can leave detailed instructions of what I require. I would never order produce unseen from Walmart. 

Thanks!!!  I am not sure I trust the fruit/veggies to someone else.  The other stuff sure but fresh?  I just don't know.  

• Love 6

I dislike grocery shopping - it's endless. Take just a can of tuna for instance - take it off the shelf and put it in the cart, take it out of the cart and put it on the conveyor belt, put it in the bag, put the bag in the cart, roll the cart to the car, put the bag in the in car, drive home, bring the bag in the house and put the can of tuna in the cupboard. Then order a pizza.

I could never order from a grocery store because not only am I picky about produce, I'm also picky about meats. I also check dates on perishables like dairy, frozen foods and even longer-shelf life products like breads and cereals.

Jessa has toed the company line of being very careful with spending and has exploited living a humble lifestyle. I think ordering from Walmart goes against what Jessa and her family have touted. It's not like they said, we're tight for money and need to cut costs to make ends meet. They bragged that they always paid cash, never carried a debt and were thrifty. So, yeah, I can see snarking on her for this.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

And I adore grocery shopping. I look forward to it every week. Granted, I have no children and Husband is not allowed to accompany me... and I love ❤️ to cook. Yes, I’m weird. 

Oh my. Why aren't we BFFs living next door to each other? I'm sure I have a skill I could trade you for feeding me, my husband and son who lives at home. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

And I adore grocery shopping. I look forward to it every week. Granted, I have no children and Husband is not allowed to accompany me... and I love ❤️ to cook. Yes, I’m weird. 

I'm the same way...And I go grocery shopping probably five times a week because I just seem to be incapable of planning ahead. I got into that way of doing things when we were stationed in Scotland, and our house had just a tiny little under-the-counter fridge, so I'd go into "town" (the main street) pretty much every day and stop at the butcher's, the baker's, the greengrocer's, the fishmonger's, etc ,to see what they had that looked good that day. And I probably wasted way less food than I do now, because I bought what I needed for that day rather than stocking up on stuff then forgetting about it, or deciding to do something else, etc, until dragging it out of the depths of the fridge two weeks (or possibly months) later. I just do a lot better relying on inspiration rather than long-term planning.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my. Why aren't we BFFs living next door to each other? I'm sure I have a skill I could trade you for feeding me, my husband and son who lives at home. 

I would shop, cook and feed all of you. Gladly. Clean my house for me? Vacuum, dust, wash floors? We got a deal!

4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm the same way...And I go grocery shopping probably five times a week because I just seem to be incapable of planning ahead. I got into that way of doing things when we were stationed in Scotland, and our house had just a tiny little under-the-counter fridge, so I'd go into "town" (the main street) pretty much every day and stop at the butcher's, the baker's, the greengrocer's, the fishmonger's, etc ,to see what they had that looked good that day. And I probably wasted way less food than I do now, because I bought what I needed for that day rather than stocking up on stuff then forgetting about it, or deciding to do something else, etc, until dragging it out of the depths of the fridge two weeks (or possibly months) later. I just do a lot better relying on inspiration rather than long-term planning.

I shop and cook for the week on Sundays. Best habit ever! Saves me a lot of stress during the week!

• Love 8

I can understand why people want to get their shopping done before they drive down & pick it up.  I may have done that in the 80's when I had a full-time job, and also had a toddler/young child to tote around.  Nowadays, as a retiree, I like to pick out my own produce, because that's usually the bulk of my purchases.  I'm also a bit leery of getting exactly what I specified on my list, if someone else is doing the picking and packing.  It's a nice option for busy lives.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I'm the same way! I love going to the store but I can understand why the pick-up option would appeal to those who prefer the convenience.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

I like grocery shopping too! I’m childfree and not partnered. I do enjoy delivery services (more in the winter) because I don’t want to carry all that or deal with the bad weather after work. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm the same way...And I go grocery shopping probably five times a week because I just seem to be incapable of planning ahead.

Wow I grocery shop 3x a month (two main trips and one fill in for produce as needed), and I’m always satisfied with what I have in my fridge. I do wonder how often the Seewalds grocery shop and if they meal plan. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Thanks!!!  I am not sure I trust the fruit/veggies to someone else.  The other stuff sure but fresh?  I just don't know.  

I’ve been surprised at how good the produce generally is when I have someone else pick it out. (Using Stop & Shop’s Peapod.) The one thing that really irritates me— it has happened twice— is getting a gallon of milk only a few days from its expiration date. I mainly use the service when I want to stock up on heavy/bulky pantry staple items though, and pick out the fresh stuff myself.

On topic: although I do sometimes have Peapod bring me cans of soup, I do not use them to make cream of glop casserole like the Duggars. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm with you! I have a Walmart directly across the street from my apartment (a nice Walmart at that!) so it's super easy to go there almost daily and grab what I need quickly. I feel so spoiled! I can't imagine not having that convenience now. 

3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

When I lived in St. Paul proper I was just blocks away from the original Kowalski’s. (The other posh local grocery chain in the Twin Cities) It’s a smaller store and it was so easy to stop on the way home buy just what I needed. I call it my year of shopping like a European. I LOATHE shopping in general but I make an exception for groceries and Target. 

• Love 2

I love grocery shopping. However, about a month ago,they totally rearranged the store I've shopped at for the last 20 plus years. I used to be able to speed shop; now it's a puzzle to solve each week. It'll make sense one of these days. 😁

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I love grocery shopping. However, about a month ago,they totally rearranged the store I've shopped at for the last 20 plus years. I used to be able to speed shop; now it's a puzzle to solve each week. It'll make sense one of these days. 😁

They recently did this to the store nearest my house. They have chips in three separate aisles. Knowing where the chips are is critical 

• Love 24
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Grocery stores are always puzzles to me.  No matter how well I know the store, I am running up and down and back and forth and around and around the store.  I swear I turn ADD everytime I enter a store.  So, my husband has long been the grocery shopper.  For over 30 years now, he is a pro at keeping our pantry and fridge and freezer full of anticipated staples that he most always finds on sale. He is the king of loss leaders and has no problem going to several different stores over the month to get the good deals.  I cook from these items and make a list of needed extra ingredients.

I'm retired now, but for many years, I did a big cooking session every Sunday.  Something in my crockpot, something in the oven, and something in my large skillet or wok.  We'd happily microwave leftovers all work week.

If my husband predeces me, I will definitely be ordering in groceries. I already order most everything else.  I have no problem at all with Jessa picking up her groceries and I only wonder why she just doesn't have them delivered to the house.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I’ve been surprised at how good the produce generally is when I have someone else pick it out. (Using Stop & Shop’s Peapod.) The one thing that really irritates me— it has happened twice— is getting a gallon of milk only a few days from its expiration date. I mainly use the service when I want to stock up on heavy/bulky pantry staple items though, and pick out the fresh stuff myself.

On topic: although I do sometimes have Peapod bring me cans of soup, I do not use them to make cream of glop casserole like the Duggars. 

That is great to know!  I was bummed that I can only use instacart for this.  I called Vons because I was having issues with their site and it was because they don't do this in my area.  Then quit offering it!  Instacart requires a membership or at least that is what it looked like so I am not getting stuff delivered anytime soon from Vons.  I will look at Ralphs.  Sometimes it would just be easier to have stuff just show up at my house.  Bristol Farms is opening sometime soon near me so I will check that out.  I am really looking forward to the Target opening.  Super close to my house.  

• Love 1
On 17/01/2019 at 1:14 AM, Christina87 said:

Shadrach? What kind of name is that? Meshach? Who has a name like that? Shadrach? Meshach? Abednego-o-o-o-oh!

Shadrach and Meshach, Abednego, lived in Judah a long time ago...

Hahaha anyone else do It's Cool in the Furnace?

Meshach Taylor? Have you never seen a Mannequin movie?

17 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Did you succumb to the British dishwashing method: washing stuff in a plastic tub that sits inside the kitchen sink?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

Meshach Taylor? Have you never seen a Mannequin movie?

Hollywood Montrose!

Hollywood Montrose Seewald would be a nice, sophisticated name for Jessa to pick.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, Christina87 said:

Shadrach? What kind of name is that? Meshach? Who has a name like that? Shadrach? Meshach? Abednego-o-o-o-oh!

Shadrach and Meshach, Abednego, lived in Judah a long time ago...

Hahaha anyone else do It's Cool in the Furnace?

Goodness, yes. Those songs still go through my head, and that was 30+ years ago! (Well it's cool [ch-ch-ch, ch-ch-ch, ch-ch-ch] in the furnace, man. . . )

Jessa and Ben could choose one of the pre-Nebuchadnezzar names for those 3 dudes: Hananiah, Mishael, or Azariah. Come to think of it, why did *they* have to use their new names and Daniel got to stay Daniel and not Belteshazzar?

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, LilJen said:

Goodness, yes. Those songs still go through my head, and that was 30+ years ago! (Well it's cool [ch-ch-ch, ch-ch-ch, ch-ch-ch] in the furnace, man. . . )

Jessa and Ben could choose one of the pre-Nebuchadnezzar names for those 3 dudes: Hananiah, Mishael, or Azariah. Come to think of it, why did *they* have to use their new names and Daniel got to stay Daniel and not Belteshazzar?

Ahhhh like Mishael Morgan from Y&R! Anyone else watch?

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

having vaginal penile intercourse, where by the woman is not peri or post menopausal could be SURPRISED a pregnancy occurred.

Thems some awful big words fer ya to spect a Dugger to unnerstan.

• Love 13

Some grocery stores move things around all the time to make you spend more time there. Really- they will move items from aisle to aisle. It's maddening

I dont hate on Jessa one bit for doing the groceries that way. I have one baby and do it all the time. I dont want to drag her through the store. Two toddlers and being pregnant...no side eye here

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Puffin said:

Have you guys seen the video where they announced their expecting? Ben said he was surprised lol how surprised can you be when you don't use contraception!

https://www.tlcme.com/jessa-and-bens-big-news-5524699?sf205693890&sf205739829=1

Somewhere along the way in the board re-org I forgot to add Counting On to my followed content so I've been playing MAJOR catch up on these threads but.........This is the big one, Abbie I'd expect news about.   Lauren maybe although I wonder about those two sometimes.  Jill or Joy I wouldn't have been surprised; I would think they're stupid but I wouldn't be shocked.  But I really thought Jessa and Ben would stop or hold off for awhile.  Despite all their large family/adopting talk they can't be completely ignorant to the realities of money, work (both actual job and raising 3 kids work) and especially the size of their house.  If they have a boy I expect to see them stuff bunk beds in the second bedroom; if they have a girl they're (eventually) screwed in terms of space.  But to the above from Puffin - I wonder if maybe, just maybe they were using the rhythm method, avoiding sex in the middle of her cycle and other "natural" BC.  That straddles the line between the evil medical contraception and keeping the family size manageable; to me it's not a stretch to believe that Ben could think they were effectively managing potential pregnancies that way but all it takes is an overly fertile lady or a miscount on cycle days and, well........surprise!

We thought "Duggar Time" was bad?  This could be an interesting season but if TLC doesn't start catching the show up to actual events they'll be covering the birth of this latest blessing about the time the kid has his/her 16th birthday party.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Puffin said:

Have you guys seen the video where they announced their expecting? Ben said he was surprised lol how surprised can you be when you don't use contraception!

https://www.tlcme.com/jessa-and-bens-big-news-5524699?sf205693890&sf205739829=1

These people lack basic common sense especially when it comes to pregnancy. When most, if not all,  have proclaimed they are leaving it up to God to decide the number of children they will have & not preventing pregnancy  from happening, they are all shocked when it does (& so quickly.)  IIRC,  weren't  Kendra's parents surprised when Joken announced Kendra's pregnancy so soon after the wedding?  And Kendra herself was a honeymoon baby or close to it. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 17
21 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

These people lack basic common sense especially when it comes to pregnancy. When most, if not all,  have proclaimed they are leaving it up to God to decide the number of children they will have & not preventing pregnancy  from happening, they are all shocked when it does (& so quickly.)  IIRC,  weren't  Kendra's parents surprised when Joken announced Kendra's pregnancy so soon after the wedding?  And Kendra herself was a honeymoon baby or close to it. 

I wonder if that's some weird way of showing humility.  Are they saying "Wow!  I'm so surprised and flattered that god blessed us with another baby?"  If they said, "I'm pregnant, but duh biology."  it would be ungodly.  They really have a warped view of the world.  They want to give god glory for creating people, but don't want to use the brain god gave them to think for themselves  or learn anything.  

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Normades said:

I wonder if that's some weird way of showing humility.  Are they saying "Wow!  I'm so surprised and flattered that god blessed us with another baby?"  If they said, "I'm pregnant, but duh biology."  it would be ungodly.  They really have a warped view of the world.  They want to give god glory for creating people, but don't want to use the brain god gave them to think for themselves  or learn anything.  

That's cause God gave us our manparts and ladyparts to use and use and use and use and use and use and use until they nearly fall off or out (for His greater Glory). (Just ask Jim Bob.)

But he gave us brains to TRICK US into THINKING FOR OURSELVES -- and thus dooming ourselves to HELL -- instead of JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS, from God and his godly surrogates here on the planet -- the MEN IN CHARGE, the way we're supposed to. (Just ask Jim Bob.)

Gee .... that doesn't sound at all like a scheme that ancient strongmen dreamed up and then imposed by force on everybody else for millennia, does it? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 20
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, kokapetl said:

Did you succumb to the British dishwashing method: washing stuff in a plastic tub that sits inside the kitchen sink?

Haha! I never have, but my mom does - we lived in England until I was 10 years old - , and I was actually just thinking that when we redo our kitchen (which will probably happen within the next year or so), I think I will get a nice, big single sink so that I CAN do my dishes that way if I choose ( though the dishwasher gets most of them anyway), that way I can have a small area that won't take much water to fill up if I just want to rinse a few things, and still have a large single sink that I can soak oversize items in if I need to. Seems that will give more flexibility as to how I can use it. It actually makes a lot of sense.

• Love 8

I'm slightly late regarding the Walmart Grocery Pickup!   I don't fault them for using it.  I've been using it every week  since my local store started it.  Occasionally I still go into the store if I want to actually look at something like fruit or veg.  If you allow them to do substitutions, you can often come out ahead by getting a larger size or two of something similar.  If you don't want what they subbed, you can just decline it.  Also, in my area they have had a "refer a friend or family member and get $10 off" promo going for years.  I'm sure the entire Duggar kingdom has cashed in on that promo!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Normades said:

I actually hadn’t thought of this. This crowd is obsessed with fertility but squeamish about sex, so announcing “yup I’m pregnant cause I have SEX (even with my husband)” would be unbecoming of a fundie Lady. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Barb23 said:

If I remember correctly, Kendra was pre-marriage conception. Oops!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jessa's expecting again? Time to go from the boxy, no shape clothing to the way too small, clingy shirts again. 

Maybe she'll be more 'modest' in her maternity wardrobe this time. She really looked awful previously.

Don't forget the ass crack-showing skirts. 

I'm still astonished at what "modern modest" Jessa wore while filming her early stages of labor with Spurgeon. That skirt couldn't have been any closer to her skin if it were sprayed on. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Don't forget the ass crack-showing skirts. 

I'm still astonished at what "modern modest" Jessa wore while filming her early stages of labor with Spurgeon. That skirt couldn't have been any closer to her skin if it were sprayed on. 

I remember it as as ass-crack showing, extra clingy, bright purple dress.  Hideous.  I felt embarrassed for Jessa.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Jessa's expecting again? Time to go from the boxy, no shape clothing to the way too small, clingy shirts again. 

Maybe she'll be more 'modest' in her maternity wardrobe this time. She really looked awful previously.

I'm really, really hoping her competitive side will kick in and she'll try to outdo Jinger, wearing tasteful outfits meant for maternity. That's our only hope!!!

• Love 12