Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Not taking anything from Jessica, but there's no way she got the full wattage.  The two men were barely holding her upright, and she didn't react typically.  Usually people look like they're having a grand mal seizure.

I don't like to see anyone being hurt unnecessarily, but I definitely believe these people should experience the effect, and at the proper wattage, before they're given the right to tase at will.

She wrote in the comments that it was only 2 seconds so maybe that’s why. I was accidentally tased once. I didn’t fall down, but I let a sound out of me that I didn’t know I could make. Some people just don’t react the same as being tased or maced. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Libby96 said:

Good for Jessa for choosing a quality program for her children, but why are Jill and Jessa "homeschooling" when their kids are barely three (is Spurgie even 3 yet)?  Why can't you just read to your kid, converse with them, have some quality toys around, let them color and draw, maybe practice letters and wordplay if they are interested?  Kids that age learn by playing and doing.  A lot of formal instruction is not needed.  In fact, it can be counterproductive.

I'm guessing that's the way it was done in the TTH, to keep the little kids busy during "school time."

6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Damn, Jessica is a straight up badass. 

Let's see one of the Duggar boys take a shock from a taser and remain standing...

She was being held up. I find it interesting she’s sharing the video clip. I have a copy of DH getting tazed  when he was in training. They were under strict instructions not to distribute over social media.  

Good for her! 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm guessing that's the way it was done in the TTH, to keep the little kids busy during "school time."

Ha! I read your comment before reading the quote and thought you were referring to being tased for two seconds. It sounded plausible to me, and I had a good laugh so thanks.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

She was being held up. I find it interesting she’s sharing the video clip. I have a copy of DH getting tazed  when he was in training. They were under strict instructions not to distribute over social media.  

Good for her! 

They're barely holding onto her arms.  I don't think she would have shared the video if she were tased properly.

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Foretaste?

And google says it's actually a word!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

I went on a couple of those ATI approved 'Journey to the Heart' brainwashings back in the day when I was a teenager...

I don't like to talk about it too much. What I went through being a lesbian teenager in that culture was a living hell. It was drilled into my head that my life and afterlife would both be full of agony, suffering, and misery. I was told I would literally be repeatedly murdered daily in hell for being gay...

I got hooked on a Soap Opera called Santa Barbara and would visit my non-religious aunt on weekends under the guise of having a job and we'd watch all the weekly eps she had taped every Saturday. Then she would give me cash to make it seem like I was paid for a job. I learned about life watching that soap. And when I was banished . . . that aunt and her husband took me in, paid for my education, and accepted me. 

I think Jessa genuinely loves her kids enough to let them be kids. I really do. And I think her motherly instinct, just based on what I've seen, is strong enough for her to fight for her kids if the church tried to turn on them. I think she would leave with them and not remove them from her life. At least, my heart is determined to believe it based on how nurturing she is with her kids.

I'm so sorry that you suffered during your childhood, and am glad you made it out.  I'm sending you the biggest internet hug you could ever imagine.  Your aunt and uncle were lifesavers, and I wish every child could have someone like them in their lives.  I'm sending them a big hug, too, although I suspect that they'd just pass it on to you because they recognized what your parents couldn't:  that you were more worthy of love, affection, and respect than any cult.

Gothard is an evil man who created a cult purely for his own benefit.  He could wrap himself up in the trappings of his false religion and live a life of wealth while preying on the young girls of his followers.  He picked out passages of the Bible to back up his 'teachings', and created from his own sick imagination the principals and rules that his believers should follow.  It worked out pretty good for him.  Until recently, he got a lot of money, respect, and undeserved adulation from his people.  He's still doing pretty well, although I bet he's pissed that so many people now pretend they 'follow the message, not the man'.

Ma and Pa Duggar are like him in some respects.  They picked and chose Bible verses and formed beliefs not backed up by fact or logic.  They found that by forcing their older children to parent the younger children they had more time to play around and even got a TV show out of it.  When their piss poor handling of Joshgate came to light, they lost a lot of the perks they once had, but they still have enough devotees to give them some comfort and keep them hoping that they will overcome their current PR difficulties and find a way to get back on top again.

It's no wonder that Jessa is such an accomplished Cafeteria Christian.  She's just doing what she saw her parents and Gothard doing.

• Love 22
19 hours ago, Libby96 said:

Good for Jessa for choosing a quality program for her children, but why are Jill and Jessa "homeschooling" when their kids are barely three (is Spurgie even 3 yet)?  Why can't you just read to your kid, converse with them, have some quality toys around, let them color and draw, maybe practice letters and wordplay if they are interested?  Kids that age learn by playing and doing.  A lot of formal instruction is not needed.  In fact, it can be counterproductive.

Plus Jill has Izzy expecting a bag of treats like gummy bears when he finishes something.  He'll be expecting treats after every lesson.  Not a good  thing.  I realize treats work for some things like potty training & at times you have to indulge in bribes but I think Izzy will grow up thinking this is part of "school" if she continues. 

• Love 8

Just when I say something positive about Jessa and her choice of homeschool methods, she posts a "Look At Me"  post when Jinger just had a baby.

I don't think Jessa is deliberately trying to be mean but you can see how damaged she is...she HAS to attract attention to herself.  So insecure.  Guess that what happens when you are simply a number out of 19 kids. 

Not to mention, she lacks self awareness and social skills.  It looks petty and competitive.  Her siblings and Ben must get sick of that attitude. 

• Love 22
41 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

This was especially effective if they didn't realize it until they were dipping the last bit into a bowl or cup and realized there was none left for them. "Jesus must have taken your portion as punishment for this or that." I got so tired of hearing "Jesus took it." 

While I didn't grow up "fundie", I did grow up with a religiously fanatical mother that would do things like this.  I developed a milk allergy at 9, thankfully I grew out of it, but had to go to friend's birthday parties and sit there while the kids ate ice cream and I couldn't have any.  Instead of my mother either letting them know I had an allergy or even just dropping me off with something like a fruitcicle and tell them I couldn't have ice cream, my mother would tell me that God has given me this challenge and my suffering will make me a better person.  That this is what God wants.  Screw you mother!

On August 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Foretaste?

For some reason, I saw Foretaste and yet read Foreskin and then realized Foretaste and I'll be in the prayer closet with the wine.

On August 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM, Mollie said:

Well, this is what we have come to expect from Jessa, isn't it?  Her sister has a baby and Jessa makes that event all about Jessa:  Hey, look at me!  See how my baby looked two years ago!  I had a baby before Jinger did!  I taught Jinger parenting skills and let her practice on my baby!

Remember when Jessa posted 100 additional pictures from her wedding (nine months earlier) on the weekend of cousin Amy's wedding?  I do.

Jessa is incapable of letting someone else be the center of attention.

Is she trying to be Me'chelle?  Just like Me'chelle's behavior at each of her daughter's wedding getting in the way and wanting all the attention on her.  Jessa needs to wake up and realize she's becoming her mother.

29 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Just when I say something positive about Jessa and her choice of homeschool methods, she posts a "Look At Me"  post when Jinger just had a baby.

I don't think Jessa is deliberately trying to be mean but you can see how damaged she is...she HAS to attract attention to herself.  So insecure.  Guess that what happens when you are simply a number out of 19 kids. 

Not to mention, she lacks self awareness and social skills.  It looks petty and competitive.  Her siblings and Ben must get sick of that attitude. 

Yes!  So well said @Marigold.  She totally comes off as petty, competitive and barely any social skills above Jilly Bean.

Also @IntoTheMystic You are an amazingly strong person to have gone through that and come from all of that.  Your strength just inspires me and makes me in awe of you.

• Love 15
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Are those grimy crib mattresses leaning on the wall in the corner of the room?

They look crib sized and it looks like the wooden headboard of a crib behind them.  Maybe Henry’s crib was in their room initially and they took it down to move it to the other bedroom?  Of course, that means Henry didn’t have a usable bed to sleep in the night before, no wonder he’s crabby.

2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Grumpy, sleepy Henry is adorable!

Also, why is Ben wearing a dress shirt? I thought his main job was washing toilets for JB?

Maybe Derick's First Day of Law School Suit inspired him? 

• Love 7

I did LOL at Henry's "Not yet." Honestly, I'd probably say the same thing if I was groggy and in the process of waking up.

It looks like Henry's hair is starting to curl a little bit, although not to the same degree as Spurge.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Madtown said:

Cranky Henry not wanting to wake up. He also apparently doesn't sleep in a crib...

I really hope Jessa was joking about Henry having a late night last night. Just because she grew up on Duggar Time and stayed up until Late O'Clock for her entire life, I hope she realizes that kids need to be on a sleep schedule. I know the boys take naps, but that doesn't make up for lost sleep at night.

I don't know how Co-Sleeping works except for the part where everyone sleeps together in the same bed. Do the kids go to bed at a decent hour, the parents stay up later and then join the kid(s) in bed? 

Edited by Bridget
10 hours ago, Nysha said:

Also, why is Ben wearing a dress shirt? I thought his main job was washing toilets for JB?

The TLC plotline from one episode that will not die.  I keep hoping it will RIP.

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, Absolom said:

The TLC plotline from one episode that will not die.  I keep hoping it will RIP.

Me too!  We don't really know what Ben does in the daytime.  He could have a real J.O.B.  Well, just maybe.  Or is taking classes.  He does seem to like his clothes.  A little bit like Jeremy, eh.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Bridget said:

I really hope Jessa was joking about Henry having a late night last night. Just because she grew up on Duggar Time and stayed up until Late O'Clock for her entire life, I hope she realizes that kids need to be on a sleep schedule. I know the boys take naps, but that doesn't make up for lost sleep at night.

I don't know how Co-Sleeping works except for the part where everyone sleeps together in the same bed. Do the kids go to bed at a decent hour, the parents stay up later and then join the kid(s) in bed? 

In the comments of her post, Jessa said during the night Henry got into bed with them.  Jessa and Ben had gotten up and Henry was still asleep in their bed.  I do like the way Ben gently rubbed his back.  I may not agree with their fundamentalist beliefs but they do seem to be gentle and loving with their sons. And truly enjoy them. 

• Love 19
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

Jessa has talked about Ben going to work in the past.  It is entirely possible that he does have a part time job somewhere that requires him to wear nicer clothing. It isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that he has some sort of entry level office job- he did get an associate's degree a couple of years ago.  And that his employer was not on board with cameras being present at their place of business, so it is simply not mentioned. I'm sure they get the shooting schedule ahead of time and he can arrange his shifts accordingly. I really think Jessa is shrewd enough to realize that they need as much money coming in as possible.  Even on the off chance that Jim Bob does not control the money from the show, the number of married couples and adult single Duggars that would get some sort of compensation is growing, so each couple's chunk of the TLC pie is really not that big.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 16
17 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

So true.  She's never had to get up with an alarm clock, when it's still dark out, shower, fix that hair, get dressed, and drive to some crap (or even a good) job!  WTH do you know what Mondays are like, in the real heathen world?

Henry is so cute.  

• Love 17
27 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

So true.  She's never had to get up with an alarm clock, when it's still dark out, shower, fix that hair, get dressed, and drive to some crap (or even a good) job!  WTH do you know what Mondays are like, in the real heathen world?

Henry is so cute.  

The day to day routine is what most of us start learning starting with preschool or kindergarten.  I can't imagine a life where you have NEVER had to consistently pull yourself together and function no matter how you feel.  Part of me thinks that would be a luxury, but even though it can be a pain sometimes, I don't know that I would trade.  JB and his bride have done an excellent job making sure their offspring are incapable of functioning in the real adult world.

• Love 16

Seriously though, how much money do Jessa and Ben need to support themselves and their sons?  Do they pay rent?  Or are they just expected to pay for the property taxes on their house?  Even if the cost of living in Arkansas is relatively low, you would need at least $30,000 a year to support 4 people, and I think that is a low estimate.  They do seem to go out and travel a lot.  I realize that some outings are on the TLC dime, but even so, bringing up a family is not cheap.

And speaking of cheap, Jim Bob is famous for being a huge cheapskate.  I just can't see him willingly supporting or supplementing any or all of his 7 (soon to be 8) married kids and their spouses and children.  He still has 11 kids at home to support.  I know he has money stashed away, but supporting his mega family plus 8 other households just does not add up. My guess is that he does charge the married kids rent on their homes.  

The only kid I can see him grudgingly helping is Josh, because he pretty much has no options.  Cheap as he is, I doubt Jim Bob would let any of his kids starve.

Honestly, I really think Ben has some sort of job.  I just can't see how they could manage otherwise.

• Love 1
On 8/11/2018 at 9:14 AM, IntoTheMystic said:

I went on a couple of those ATI approved 'Journey to the Heart' brainwashings back in the day when I was a teenager. I think they might have been called something different. I don't really remember. My parents, for reasons I will never know, bought into Gothard and Quiverfull and ATI. The majority of my extended family, while religious, never took it to that level of crazy. I've always maintained that if my parents had read L. Ron Hubbard first they would have raised me in Scientology. If they'd met Jim Jones before Gothard . . . we'd all be dead. THAT is what I think of Quiverfull and IBLP/ATI. They're cults to me just like Jim Jones and Scientology. (Sorry if there are Scientology folk here.)

I don't like to talk about it too much. What I went through being a lesbian teenager in that culture was a living hell. It was drilled into my head that my life and afterlife would both be full of agony, suffering, and misery. I was told I would literally be repeatedly murdered daily in hell for being gay. Going back to that in my mind tends to make me want to gnaw open my wrists and take a hot bath. 

I will say this about Jessa. I love that Spurgeon the Sturgeon is talking about Peter Rabbit. If she was fully committed to ATI and IBLP and Gothard's teachings, she would not be wasting time with Peter Rabbit. Stuff like that is considered worldly and full of hidden messages from Satan and bad people and demons. Gothard railed against Disney and Saturday cartoons with an iron fist. Anything that didn't have a message about God was deemed unfit. Cartoons encouraged kids to believe in 'fantasy' and 'witchcraft' and higher powers than God himself like Ninja Turtles and Transformers and Inspector Gadget. We were told that all of that stuff, anything that made kids feel hero worship or even just enjoy freakin' Fred Flintstone, took away from God's word. We didn't have a television. I got hooked on a Soap Opera called Santa Barbara and would visit my non-religious aunt on weekends under the guise of having a job and we'd watch all the weekly eps she had taped every Saturday. Then she would give me cash to make it seem like I was paid for a job. I learned about life watching that soap. And when I was banished . . . that aunt and her husband took me in, paid for my education, and accepted me. 

I think Jessa genuinely loves her kids enough to let them be kids. I really do. And I think her motherly instinct, just based on what I've seen, is strong enough for her to fight for her kids if the church tried to turn on them. I think she would leave with them and not remove them from her life. At least, my heart is determined to believe it based on how nurturing she is with her kids.

I just wanted to offer some virtual hugs and thank you for sharing your story with us. It's really brave and I'm so glad your aunt and her husband were a soft place for you to land. 

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Seriously though, how much money do Jessa and Ben need to support themselves and their sons?  Do they pay rent?  Or are they just expected to pay for the property taxes on their house? 

They own the house so no they don't pay rent and I expect they pay the property tax.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I wonder if they got paid for making that appearance at the camp, a few weeks ago. 

I'm sure they did. Duggars get love offerings, they don't give them.

• Love 15