Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

but I think he did get his associates (two year) degree from community college.

Found this:

On May 16, 2015, Ben graduated from National Park College with an associate's degree in political science. After graduating, Ben began studying with the intention of going to seminary.

• Useful 4

I really think that, if his circumstances had been different, Bin would have actually made something of himself.  On their honeymoon in Europe, Bin showed a lot of interest in what he was seeing and experiencing (Jessa, not so much).  I think he is actually pretty intelligent, but he has made a life choice (early marriage and family) that will hold him back.  I really feel sorry for him.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 20

I'm not a fan of the name Fern because I knew a girl named Fern and I didn't like her. It's really awful that an experience with someone with a particular name can affect the way you feel about the name years later.

What surprises me is the middle name. The first three kids all had a name with a story behind it - Spurgeon's first name, Henry's middle name, Ivy's middle name - but I have never heard of the name Elliana before. It's very pretty, but as far as I know they can't do the "we were reading about Lady Jane Gray who was Protestant..." thing they did about Ivy Jane.

I'm willing to cut Ben some slack. My husband was grossed out by pregnancy and childbirth, and quite frankly I wanted his focus to be on supporting me rather than watching the baby's birth when it got time to push.

I'm wondering if what we are interpreting as Ben's lack of interest in Jessa when she (or anyone else) is recording stuff is actually a lack of interest in being recording. He didn't grow up with a camera in his face all the time, and maybe he's just over it. He may be happy the show is cancelled, and would just prefer it if his life weren't be recording and posted online. He and Jessa could have reached an agreement whereby she can record and post whatever he wants but he doesn't have to be an active participant when she is recording.

• Useful 7
  • Love 13
(edited)

Sorry if this is a repost of something already said (probably is). But it just occurred to me that I hadn't looked up Elliana.

Turns out it means more than I realized. But I have still no idea what it means to them! (And I expect this either has no particular meaning to them. Or, if it does, it's something they wouldn't explain publicly....)

'Origin and Meaning

'The name Elliana is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "my God has answered."'

So apparently little Fern is God's answer. .... Wonder what the question was? 

Maybe God said, "Of course it'd be better to go to the hospital after all these near misses and scares, you dunderheads!" 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

He graduated from community college, where he seems to have taken mostly business courses and political science. That was the graduation where the Duggars sat in the front row and the Seewalds had to sit behind them. 

After a break of about a year or so, he enrolled in a four-year program at Moody Bible Institute's online division, where he seems to have worked steadily toward a bachelor's degree, which he earned in, I think, spring 2020. (coulda been 2019, but I'm pretty sure it was actually last year)

Anyway, he was enrolled in one of their bachelor's that prepares you for the ministry. Can't remember whether it was their integrated ministry studies program or one of the bible study or theology ones. But he went straight through and graduated in a reasonable amount of time.

So he's earned a respectable associate's degree and a respectable bachelor's degree and completed both in a total of six or seven years. In other words, pretty much right on schedule when your associate's degree doesn't really include any classes that are relevant to the bachelor's degree you get later.  

I don't know why we're kept so unaware of this. But I sort of assume it's because the Duggars utterly despise education.

I don't care whether JB and Michelle post about Ben's accomplishments or not, but it's telling to me that Jessa didn't post much of anything regarding this, especially considering she posts a lot on social media. It's a big contrast from Jill who will mention Derick's law training and studying from time to time.

While most of the Duggars don't seem to go out of their way to help or care for other people in need, I feel like Jessa more than any other Duggar is the most egocentric. 

• Love 22
28 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't care whether JB and Michelle post about Ben's accomplishments or not, but it's telling to me that Jessa didn't post much of anything regarding this, especially considering she posts a lot on social media. It's a big contrast from Jill who will mention Derick's law training and studying from time to time.

While most of the Duggars don't seem to go out of their way to help or care for other people in need, I feel like Jessa more than any other Duggar is the most egocentric. 

Right, not sharing Bin’s huge accomplishment is truly bizarre. 

• Love 18
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Right, not sharing Bin’s huge accomplishment is truly bizarre. 

She might have shared it but by not appearing proud of him and not making a bigger deal of his degrees, Jessa comes off as insecure. It just seems that she feels when good things happen to others, it takes away from her. Mean girl behavior. Of course she has no accomplishments other than having babies non-stop.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 15

I know we've talked about the possibility of Ben requesting Jessa not post things about his achievements. But I don't remember if we had any evidence to support that or if it was all just supposition based on the sheer weirdness of it all. I just remember finding it an interesting twist if true. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Why would Ben ask her not to post? Was he not happy that he finished school? Nobody else in his wife's family or even his has a degree. Maybe he knew Jessa didn't consider it a big deal and that had to annoy him, it would me.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know we've talked about the possibility of Ben requesting Jessa not post things about his achievements. But I don't remember if we had any evidence to support that or if it was all just supposition based on the sheer weirdness of it all. I just remember finding it an interesting twist if true. 

His mom posted about him graduating. I can’t imagine she would have done so if Bin hadn’t wanted that.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

His mom posted about him graduating. I can’t imagine she would have done so if Bin hadn’t wanted that.

Yeah I think the conversation was premised on the idea that it was specifically about Jessa posting, not other people. I could honestly see it being a bit of both with them. "I'm not posting about your stupid graduation!" "Well that's great because I don't want you to post about it!" 

I just sort of see nothing as too petty for really passive-aggressive people, and I think they're both passive-aggressive in spades. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7

I think Jessa doesn't have a clue about social convention, even by fundie standards. She posted about Ben's graduation when it was his commencement, but she doesn't convey any interest in Ben at any other time on social media. I think she has no clue as to how others would interpret what she posts, or does not post. Hence Diaper Mountain. Hence Ivy eating or drinking in the refrigerator. 

I also think Jessa is drawn to religion because of the structure and the fact that it has rules that are laid out for her - more so than finding any real spirituality. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Found the one I referred to: (edited to add another post)

A6DA87C8-46D8-4E36-99C2-38764772A835.jpeg

93964DD1-DFA0-40A3-ADED-9FECAB62A1D1.jpeg

Based on Jessa's choice of home decor -- giant photos of her and Bin kissing on both the bedroom and the living room walls -- I propose that the online nature of Bin's second degree may explain why she posted about his associate's degree but not about his bachelor's degree. 

With the associate's degree, JESSA could be there in real life! And get video and photos of HERSELF AND BIN KISSING!!! (just like JB and M on a miniature gold course or the like...) But then, when bachelor's degree happened during Covid, and the ceremony was virtual....Well, no chance for pictures of JESSA KISSING BIN while he's in his cap and gown! 

So, really, why would she post anything when she doesn't have a kissing picture to post?? Seriously!

Either that or between 2015 when he got the first degree and 2020 when he got the second, her enthusiasm for him has dropped off to the point that ....eh....why bother? After all, on social media, all the ladies wanta see pics of the cute children and Spurgie doing his performing-seal impressions. Not the boring old husband! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Found the one I referred to: (edited to add another post)

A6DA87C8-46D8-4E36-99C2-38764772A835.jpeg

93964DD1-DFA0-40A3-ADED-9FECAB62A1D1.jpeg

That was from his community college graduation that took place years ago. Jessa has yet to acknowledge Ben’s online four year degree.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I agree. Jessa grew up in a household where individual accomplishments weren't celebrated because there weren't any. The Duggar kids were an indistinguishable lump whose sole purpose was to provide the backdrop for their parents' political, financial and religious ambitions. I can believe Jessa genuinely has no clue as to why milestones like graduations would be a big deal. She can't even be bothered to wrap her kids' birthday presents, ffs. 

I wonder if Jim Bob downplayed the value of a real education, in addition to claiming people who go to school will become atheists and victims of transgender assailants in bathrooms. None of the Duggar kids graduated from college. I wonder if it's a financial thing or something else. I don't think Jed has any real shot in politics without a college degree, as his personality isn't attractive enough to compensate for the lack of education.

If Ben is so educated, it doesn't really show. He comes across as a shadow in the background on the show and on Instagram videos. Maybe that's Jessa's doing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Boob claimed college was a waste of money. I think he's cheap and too much of a narcissist to give his kids the chance to surpass him. Education gives you options. He wants the horde dependent and ignorant. 

Exactly. Imagine how intimidated he would be of an educated spawn. 

Derreck is no great catch, but I am really glad he got that law degree.  I guess having an accountant degree didn’t really earn him a lot of favors at Casa Duggar. 

• Love 21
19 hours ago, Chicklet said:

She might have shared it but by not appearing proud of him and not making a bigger deal of his degrees, Jessa comes off as insecure. It just seems that she feels when good things happen to others, it takes away from her. Mean girl behavior. Of course she has no accomplishments other than having babies non-stop.

It's so weird because if you compare this to Jill's response to Derrick's graduation it's like day and night. Jill clearly is proud of what Derrick has accomplished.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

It's so weird because if you compare this to Jill's response to Derrick's graduation it's like day and night. Jill clearly is proud of what Derrick has accomplished.

Taking my reply to the Jill thread.

I still think Jessa keeps Ben's life on the down low for two reasons. One is, she can't handle the negative responses. And two, as far as his job, she doesn't want haters contacting his church and having it picked up by the media.

The Duggars made signs and celebrated everything back in the day. Even when family returned from a short trip. I'm guessing they celebrated Ben's graduation, but Jessa didn't post.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, SMama said:

That was from his community college graduation that took place years ago. Jessa has yet to acknowledge Ben’s online four year degree.

Yes, I am aware of that, thanks.

• Love 1

Jessa posted about Ben completing his four year degree in May 2020. It's part of a longer 25th birthday message. I have no idea why he was a 2021 graduate rather than 2020 or why Jessa didn't highlight it in a separate post.  He may have had to complete additional coursework.  Here's the relevant paragraph:  

"I love your love for learning. You see education as a way of life, not something that stopped once you wrapped up your 4-year degree. You’re an enthusiastic about gaining knowledge, always reading and researching a broad array of subjects and sharing what you’re learning with me. I love this! You’ve gotten me hooked on Audible! I’ll admit, I do copy a lot of titles from your booklist, and I like absorbing the same things so we can discuss and give feedback to one another. It’s almost like we have our own little book club!"   https://www.instagram.com/p/CAZHougA_Sw/

• Useful 15
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, birkenstock said:

always reading and researching a broad array of subjects and sharing what you’re learning with me

Ok who's the ghost writer here. There is no freaking way Jessa knows the word "array" or enjoys having what Bin knows shared with her because she knows the KJB and that's all she needs.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 16
On 7/25/2021 at 3:38 PM, Churchhoney said:

Turns out it means more than I realized. But I have still no idea what it means to them! (And I expect this either has no particular meaning to them. Or, if it does, it's something they wouldn't explain publicly....)

'Origin and Meaning

'The name Elliana is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "my God has answered."'

So apparently little Fern is God's answer. .... Wonder what the question was? 

I thought Jessa posted that Elliana was a reference to their prior miscarriage and their gratitude for their "rainbow baby"?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, zenme said:

I know this sounds insensitive, but honestly, I think they just liked the name and it fit the narrative. For example, just read Hildegard means “battle stronghold.” Had she chosen that name, she’d have said, “We chose Hildegard because after our miscarriage we were battling to be strong.” What if Elliana meant “chicken of the sea”? Then would she say, “We love tuna and tuna sustained us in our first year of marriage? 
I can’t stand bullshit.

I agree. Let's say there was a name Jessa hated that was specifically designated to honor rainbow babies. Would she have used it? No, she wouldn't. I think she only caved on "Spurgeon" during her brief attempt at being a dutiful Fundie wife. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, zenme said:

We chose Hildegard because after our miscarriage we were battling to be strong.”

Hildegard! Whoa, you gave me major bosom buddies flashbacks!

i’d like to tape Jessa’s Eyes open clockwork Orange style and force her watch every episode. Derrick, too.

C553BADC-526E-4D66-B6E0-945656F81109.jpeg

• LOL 19
2 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Hildegard! Whoa, you gave me major bosom buddies flashbacks!

i’d like to tape Jessa’s Eyes open clockwork Orange style and force her watch every episode. Derrick, too.

C553BADC-526E-4D66-B6E0-945656F81109.jpeg

Aww. And Buffy! 
Tom Hanks before he was “Tom Hanks.” 
Yes! It would blow Derick’s mind!

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, zenme said:

Aww. And Buffy! 
Tom Hanks before he was “Tom Hanks.” 
Yes! It would blow Derick’s mind!

Ironically, it is very inoffensive Even by today’s standards.  Not as anti-LGBTQ as you would think for something so dated.

And yes, Ben would’ve worn a dress and pretended to be a woman to get close to Jessa for dating purposes! 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Ok who's the ghost writer here. There is no freaking way Jessa knows the word "array" or enjoys having what Bin knows shared with her because she knows the KJB and that's all she needs.

And his wide array of subjects likely consists of reading various theologians. I doubt he strays from Calvinism, so not a wide array of anything. 

• Love 13
(edited)
12 hours ago, graefin said:

I thought Jessa posted that Elliana was a reference to their prior miscarriage and their gratitude for their "rainbow baby"?

She may well have! I don't look at their social media and I missed it on here. 

So I guess in that case God's answer is -- I still want you to have a ton more children! Keep going! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, birkenstock said:

Jessa posted about Ben completing his four year degree in May 2020. It's part of a longer 25th birthday message. I have no idea why he was a 2021 graduate rather than 2020 or why Jessa didn't highlight it in a separate post.  He may have had to complete additional coursework.  Here's the relevant paragraph:  

"I love your love for learning. You see education as a way of life, not something that stopped once you wrapped up your 4-year degree. You’re an enthusiastic about gaining knowledge, always reading and researching a broad array of subjects and sharing what you’re learning with me. I love this! You’ve gotten me hooked on Audible! I’ll admit, I do copy a lot of titles from your booklist, and I like absorbing the same things so we can discuss and give feedback to one another. It’s almost like we have our own little book club!"   https://www.instagram.com/p/CAZHougA_Sw/

Maybe Ben walked in the 2021 ceremonies because the 2020 ceremonies were canceled for his school?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Maybe Ben walked in the 2021 ceremonies because the 2020 ceremonies were canceled for his school?

Did they actually walk for either year? I thought it was done remotely.

Jessa must have made enough YouTube money to get them through July. I wonder what is up next?

• Camping with a Newborn
  • Diaper Mountain Number 2 (💩😁
  • Spurgie Makes Lunch
  • Boys' Day/Girls' Day
  • LOL 12

Ivy and her new bestie Fern napping together.

I just see Ivy as a sister mom in training for Fern. I expect the 2 girls being the focus from now on. After all they are besties for life.

Spurgie will be off playing with insects. Henry will be eating veggies in the garden and digging in the fridge for chicken nuggets. 

Triscuit crumbs everywhere…

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa must have made enough YouTube money to get them through July.

I was bored this morning so I did a little googling on monetizing youtube videos.

The pay rate is between $0.10 - $0.30 per 1000 thousand views with an average of $0.18 per 1K views. The pay rate can vary between video to video. So if they were paid $0.25 for video A there's no guarantee they be paid that same rate for video B.

Then I did a quick tally of Jessa's youtube views for the year and calculated how much they could possibly be earning.

Month          Views          $0.10          $0.18          $0.30

Jan                 618K           $62            $111           $185

Feb                 844K           $84            $152           $253

Mar                287K            $29            $52             $86

Apr                 802K            $80           $144            $240

May                137K            $14            $25              $41

Jun                  1346K          $135          $242            $403

Jul                   6017K           $602         $1083           $1805

Totals                                   $1006       $1809           $3013

Avg                                       $144         $258             $430

So Jessa is probably bringing in more money than Bin. She'll really have to up her game and make every month like this July or better to make a living off it. Because between $144 - $430 per month won't go far in supporting a family of six.

• Useful 17
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I was bored this morning so I did a little googling on monetizing youtube videos.

The pay rate is between $0.10 - $0.30 per 1000 thousand views with an average of $0.18 per 1K views. The pay rate can vary between video to video. So if they were paid $0.25 for video A there's no guarantee they be paid that same rate for video B.

Then I did a quick tally of Jessa's youtube views for the year and calculated how much they could possibly be earning.

Month          Views          $0.10          $0.18          $0.30

Jan                 618K           $62            $111           $185

Feb                 844K           $84            $152           $253

Mar                287K            $29            $52             $86

Apr                 802K            $80           $144            $240

May                137K            $14            $25              $41

Jun                  1346K          $135          $242            $403

Jul                   6017K           $602         $1083           $1805

Totals                                   $1006       $1809           $3013

Avg                                       $144         $258             $430

So Jessa is probably bringing in more money than Bin. She'll really have to up her game and make every month like this July or better to make a living off it. Because between $144 - $430 per month won't go far in supporting a family of six.

That is so interesting and helpful! I'm not sure she can pull off another month like July, without giving birth again. 

I have a couple of other questions about YouTube, which you may or may not know the answers. When calculating views, do they count repeat views from one person? Or is a view, a view, a view, and they all count? And could the content creator view their own video and will it count?

• Useful 6
  • Love 1