Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Y’all know how awful I think the Duggars and adjacents  are but that is a sweet video and enjoyed bens humor. Of course we could go on about the caffeine and sugar in hot chocolate. My grands love it too. So far they seem pretty healthy. Two teenagers and a preteen. 

• Love 11
20 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Why is Jessa always posting pictures of Spurgeon wearing nothing but his drawers?  When he turns 18 he’s probably going to be pretty embarrassed to realize that millions of people saw pictures of him in his superhero underpants. 

I think its Jessa way of  showing the viewers he is now potty trained.  I'm sure she heard many a negative comment after the Counting On episode where he told his baby sitting uncles he needed to be changed after pooping in his pants.  There was another picture where he was also wearing just his big boy pants. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Of course we could go on about the caffeine and sugar in hot chocolate. My grands love it too. So far they seem pretty healthy. Two teenagers and a preteen. 

If the rest of Spurgeon's diet is healthy, the occasional hot chocolate or soda pop isn't going to hurt him. I'll reserve my criticism for when he appears to have a mug grafted to his hand like Aunty Jana.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 18
37 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I hear ya. My dad used to let me have the occasional sip of beer when I was a kid, so I'm not clutching my pearls over hot chocolate. 

My grandpa used to give me sips of his rum and coke.  Still my fav drink.  Hot chocolate IS for kids!  This is one thing I won't judge her on.  

• Love 13
On 12/4/2019 at 2:46 AM, GeeGolly said:

I know everyone has a personal preference, but I'm not into having large prints of humans on my walls. Back in the dark ages when professional photographers were not a dime a dozen, we used Olan Mills to take pics of our kids. They used to try and sell me giant canvas prints - each and every time. One time I blurted out, I live with these kids, I don't want giant photos of them on my walls.

Was just going to comment on those gigantic prints on the wall. My mother knew every rule of decorating.....photos do not belong on living room walls, and should never be of the inhabitants of said house. Photos of other people could be lining the walls of hallways, etc. or in small frames on side tables or pianos. Those photo canvasses are atrocious...the kids are cute, but they're right there in the room to see in real time.. Tacky. I blame the Property Brothers for pushing "framing" at Michaels. Or maybe the Gaines...although they would have a stencil that says "family " (all lower case) below the prints. Ugh. Did Jana produce this?

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

My grandpa used to give me sips of his rum and coke.  Still my fav drink.  Hot chocolate IS for kids!  This is one thing I won't judge her on.  

My mom rubbed brandy on my gums while I was teething way way back in the day. 

My mother's favorite drink is ginger ale.  She thought it was no big deal to put a little bit in my son's & niece's bottles or sippy cups as a treat when they were toddlers.  At least my sister got her to water it down some when my last niece came along.  We look back & laugh about it now.  My son swears his love of ginger ale came from this.

Could someone point me in the direction of where I can find Jessa's story or directions on how to make the large pictures of the kids?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

My mother's favorite drink is ginger ale.  She thought it was no big deal to put a little bit in my son's & niece's bottles or sippy cups as a treat when they were toddlers.  At least my sister got her to water it down some when my last niece came along.  We look back & laugh about it now.  My son swears his love of ginger ale came from this.

Could someone point me in the direction of where I can find Jessa's story or directions on how to make the large pictures of the kids?

My babysitter Mrs. Purple when I was 2 would fill a straw with Coke for me (I have memories of this).  She was the reason I have LOVED Coke my entire life.  She also made me snickdoodles which is another lifelong love.   

Of the husbands who are not Duggars, I think Jessa is the luckiest.  Not that I would want to be around him myself because he believes essentially the same things, but he at least SEEMS to let her be her.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Here it is.  She has a YouTube channel, and her videos are posted there, including the one of eating healthier.

• Love 1

Not that Jessa is an instinctive PR person by any stretch of the imagination, but I think she has a much better understanding now of her social media niche and general audience than most of her sisters and their spouses. For all RFP's and Jessa's posturing, they don't know jackshit about who they want to be or who they're reaching. 

• Love 7

I wanna say how much i like Jessa's videos... and then got stuck on DIY videos on Youtube, lol.

Spurgie better not sing that at church.  They will burn him for herrasy!  Secular Christmas carols are a big no no in my church, I can't even imagine trying them there.

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 2

I wonder if he's also learning Away in a Manger? I doubt he has any idea of the difference between manger and nature. He probably uses manger because he's actually seen one. Nature? I don't think he's quite ready for that concept.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Aww, I think that's  cute.

I think we all are guilty of doing the same thing at one time or another.  Substituting a similar sounding word for the correct one in a song.

When I sang the song "This Land is Your Land" in early elementary school I sang the part : "This land is your land, this land is my land, from California to the New York THAILAND. (Instead of Island)

Lots of kids do it, so do lots of grownups.  I'm with you, I think it's cute.  Of course, as a child, I thought the lyrics to Silent Night included the phrase, 'sleep in heavenly peas' and I wondered why Mary would put the Baby Jesus in a bed of vegetables.

Famously misunderstood rock songs:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/excuse-me-while-i-kiss-th_b_167446?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS91cmw_c2E9dCZyY3Q9aiZxPSZlc3JjPXMmc291cmNlPXdlYiZjZD0xJnZlZD0yYWhVS0V3aUI4c3ZZbnFIbUFoVlFycDRLSGZoYUJzRVFGakFBZWdRSUFoQUImdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3Lmh1ZmZwb3N0LmNvbSUyRmVudHJ5JTJGZXhjdXNlLW1lLXdoaWxlLWkta2lzcy10aF9iXzE2NzQ0NiZ1c2c9QU92VmF3MUlObC0tZkpyODBad1ZVQ0VWN3NmSA&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAoE-BrTAQj4REoKgcKZK9PqB9sHp86d_51OB8JU-FvMZaRaIxOGszUL8c9JxdliCFgZkQ6DV3_8DWI6qy0ihEzqwE6rS0CKEBSX8wkcFBnQHHvgx6uNM78bqsq0jQ_dZDily1gZsjYSCJyJ-NmYT28Qm9Q5Qt_WddGWq57tS-hg

• Love 15
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Spurge and Henry doing Bible memorization of the Christmas story. (2 videos)

Actual age appropriate teaching techniques being used with the boys that are teaching them many things beyond the direct idea of being able to retell this story.  It's also very encouraging how relaxed the atmosphere is, but not altogether surprising in this home.   Not something that can be faked with kids this age, it's either organic and pure or it's not.  Sure wish Jill followed her on social media and absorbed some of the broader parenting and educational ideas at work here. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Actual age appropriate teaching techniques being used with the boys that are teaching them many things beyond the direct idea of being able to retell this story.  It's also very encouraging how relaxed the atmosphere is, but not altogether surprising in this home.   Not something that can be faked with kids this age, it's either organic and pure or it's not.  Sure wish Jill followed her on social media and absorbed some of the broader parenting and educational ideas at work here. 

Jill doesn't follow Jessa on social media?  I wonder why not?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zahdii said:

I have no idea whether she does or doesn't.  I simply hope that she would and if nothing else by osmosis begin to bring some of this relaxed, engaged and fun spirit to parenting and educating her boys -- eliciting some genuine expressions of delight beyond the forced wide eyed, open mouth yays.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

remember when the dixie chick came under fire...for a misunderstood verse..something about OHIO stinks...instead of know the High stakes...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Now I'm thinking of "There's a bathroom on the right" and other songs I've listened to hundreds of times.  

Those boys are so cute.  How fortunate they are to be who they are, compared to Izzy and Sam.

Now if Benessa would lighten up on the God stuff...

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Now I'm thinking of "There's a bathroom on the right" and other songs I've listened to hundreds of times.  

Those boys are so cute.  How fortunate they are to be who they are, compared to Izzy and Sam.

Jessa does a much better job with her boys than Jill.  It's like night and day different.  Unfortunately and sadly, they are being brainwashed in religion.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

They won’t lighten up - they are exactly as awful as the others, in a “prettier” package (and mileage varies on that point, too).

• Love 8

Jill’s boys seem cowed and fearful (at least Izzy does) most of the time. Jessa’s boys seem happy and confident. Possibly because they are showered with love and affection.

As for the song lyrics, I thought it was cute too. As a kid I always thought one of Santa’s reindeer was named Nixon....

• LOL 12
  • Love 7
On 12/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, queenanne said:

Are Jessa and/or Bin working on composition and framing?  Or was this just a happy accident?  They look good, very natural.  

Ivy's generic lumpy baby face is resolving into that of a tasty little mite, I bet she will take after Spurgeon.  Has it been discussed before, whether or not that ivy-colored onesie is intentional?

I think Ben has an eye for composition. Michelle once described him as "autistic" because he could draw and stuff. 

• LOL 20

""My Country 'Tis of Thee, Sweet Land of Liver Tea" was heard several times with my Kindergarten students.  They did't know the word "Liberty" yet. Another time a little boy told me his favorite food was his mother's fried chicken and cold slop  (I think he meant coleslaw--I hope!)

• LOL 20
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Oh, she definitely does.  She had the following reply when Jessa posted about how to deal with picky eaters:

"Love the video! Yes, keep introducing foods and even if they used to not like it, they may surprise you and love it later! Also, noticed that keeping healthier snacks visible will make them ask for those snacks more (somewhat "outta sight outta mind")."

• Love 5

Awww, Spurge is adorable on that video as is Henry trying to keep up.  His speech is really improving.

For 35 years, I thought the song "Jungle Love" was "Chug-a-lug."  It was just this past year that I realized my mistake.  I was gobsmacked.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Although I didn't watch the second set of videos, I did watch the first ones. Spurgie definitely was waiting for a reaction from Jessa on a couple of occasions. Once when he forgot a word or phrase and then again when Henry (adorably) dragged his 'stool' over to join in.

While Jessa may be more in tune with her kids, there is a lot she purposely leaves off SM. Jill just lets everything all hang out.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 15
On 12/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Spurge and Henry doing Bible memorization of the Christmas story. (2 videos)

Cute, but why am I reminded of Toddlers and Tiaras when I watchthis.  I can just see Jessa mouthing the words a la Meechelle.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

While Jessa may be more in tune with her kids, there is a lot she purposely leaves off SM. Jill just lets everything all hang out.

I agree. Jessa's kids are dancing bears as much as Jill's are, she just presents a prettier picture.

• Love 20
20 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I've never heard this rule. Both sets of my parents had school pictures of us kids on their living room walls, with snapshot photos in frames down the hall & in the family room, just like most of the people I knew growing up. The gigantic prints are new, but 8x10 framed pictures have always been around.

Yeah I've never been in a house that didn't have pictures of the people living in it in the living room. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 17
On 12/5/2019 at 12:17 PM, drafan said:

Was just going to comment on those gigantic prints on the wall. My mother knew every rule of decorating.....photos do not belong on living room walls, and should never be of the inhabitants of said house. Photos of other people could be lining the walls of hallways, etc. or in small frames on side tables or pianos. Those photo canvasses are atrocious...the kids are cute, but they're right there in the room to see in real time.. Tacky. I blame the Property Brothers for pushing "framing" at Michaels. Or maybe the Gaines...although they would have a stencil that says "family " (all lower case) below the prints. Ugh. Did Jana produce this?

I have two photo canvasses and I love them!  They are from Olan Mills and are high quality and really look like paintings!  Theyare expensive, but I learned how to buy them cheaply.

My sister, who had her kids before I did, told me that she refused the canvas print photo.  About three months later, Olan Mills called her and said they were cleaning out their files and would she like to purchase the photo at a greatly reduced price?  She did.

I did the same thing and low and behold I received the phone call offering the canvas cheaply.  I bought it and several years later, I bought another the same way.

I do agree that family photos shouldn't be plastered all over living room walls, but that's just me.  My upstairs hallway is plastered with them on both sides.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

Oh, she definitely does.  She had the following reply when Jessa posted about how to deal with picky eaters:

"Love the video! Yes, keep introducing foods and even if they used to not like it, they may surprise you and love it later! Also, noticed that keeping healthier snacks visible will make them ask for those snacks more (somewhat "outta sight outta mind")."

Geez, Jill replied like she was a stranger, just another follower & not a sister.   Maybe she could have said "Love the video" & then could have discussed the other parts in person or over the phone, you know like real sisters talk to one another. It's amazing how awkward they all are with another. Aren't they all supposed to be each other's friends?

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, louannems said:

I have two photo canvasses and I love them!  They are from Olan Mills and are high quality and really look like paintings!  Theyare expensive, but I learned how to buy them cheaply.

My sister, who had her kids before I did, told me that she refused the canvas print photo.  About three months later, Olan Mills called her and said they were cleaning out their files and would she like to purchase the photo at a greatly reduced price?  She did.

I did the same thing and low and behold I received the phone call offering the canvas cheaply.  I bought it and several years later, I bought another the same way.

I do agree that family photos shouldn't be plastered all over living room walls, but that's just me.  My upstairs hallway is plastered with them on both sides.

I've never had pictures of people on the walls until quite recently. I love family photos beyond words, but just prefer them in an album. My best high-school friend had three huge portraits,of herself and her two siblings (all at roughly four years of age), done with that fake "oil paint" finish of the mid 1960's. I remember always thinking they were beyond tacky, but would never say a word against them to this day, even though she would probably agree. I suppose it's likely that the technology has improved quite a bit since then. Still, as a sometime artist who has always loved doing portraits, it's always a sore spot for me when I see computerized images pixilated and altered to resemble   paintings. I'm sure the work is lovely to see, but it always seems that for every computer-enhanced print out there, there's an artist who has been unable to find a commission. 

Taking this to the prayer closet as well, though, as it really doesn't belong here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It doesn't appear that Jill spends much time with ANY of her siblings, even Joy. 

I wonder if there's an edict in Duggarville, if the others have drawn away from Jill because things got awkward after she left the show, or if the Dillards have drawn away from the others because things got awkward. Maybe all of the above. 

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It doesn't appear that Jill spends much time with ANY of her siblings, even Joy. 

I know, that is very sad. I think she was more close to her buddy group than the other sister's & theirs. Especially with Joy & James.

• Love 3