Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I can't tell what the picture above the couch is of, but this is the first time I have ever seen any type of art in a fundie home.  No gigantic sign stating: JESUS!  FAMILY!  LOVE!  JOY!! BARN!! LIVING ROOM!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, louannems said:

I can't tell what the picture above the couch is of, but this is the first time I have ever seen any type of art in a fundie home.  No gigantic sign stating: JESUS!  FAMILY!  LOVE!  JOY!! BARN!! LIVING ROOM!

Part of it:

09CE7FEA-EC59-49BD-9F3F-84AC235FC732.jpeg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'm sure it's something Jesusy. 

I'm not sure. I think there's a possibility it's not. .... I'm don't know that Vision Forum went with the "no art" thing like the Gothardites and a lot of others.

They seemed to see themselves more as a sophisticated group that was savvy about Western culture, including art (and even science), and didn't just write off things that weren't explicitly Jesus-y. LIke in VIsion Forum remnant Geoff Botkin's stuff, they seem to set themselves up as religious cultural interpreters that actually kind of revere a lot of cultural stuff and discriminate (and of course twist in their own fashion)  but don't just reject ...

They're pretty heavily into promoting the white man's culture as a good thing, beyond just what's blatantly Christian. ANd they definitely look down on a lot of stuff as lowbrow and tacky. .(Here's a Botkin thing --  https://westernconservatory.com/products/the-worldview-of-the-creative-mind

Wouldn't surprise me if the Seewalds go with this and have some typical European-western-culture-type art on their walls, includng some that isn't explicitly religious. Considering how he used to write in his blogs, Mike fancies himself a cultured intellectual in that way, I think....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That looks like a Kirkland’s special. Or it’s a knock off of Oak Alley.  It’s very popular here since that plantation is right up River Road.  

5747B799-F8B9-4068-AE7D-681EDAD0B061.jpeg

I was also thinking it could be a painting of “Jesus on the Road to Emmaus”. My grandparents had it in their living room above their couch. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I was also thinking it could be a painting of “Jesus on the Road to Emmaus”. My grandparents had it in their living room above their couch. 

Mine too!  Memories!  😁

also the fake brass door knocker that says "But as for me and my house we will serve the lord" Joshua 24:15

common with evangelical homes - haven't seen one on a married duggar house because we all can see they worship the money, mama and daddy most of all

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

For my brand of Christianity, Thomas Kincaid is too secular.  We are mandated to have a picture of the Last Supper in the kitchen/dining room, and the rest of our art can be found here https://www.leafletonline.com/religious-statues-and-decor/wall-art-all

I'm Catholic and know no one who has art like that in their home. Luckily in my country we can have all the secular art we want and have no required pictures. 

Ivy is a real cutie and I like that her clothes aren't particularly girly. 

Edited by Dirndl
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Dirndl said:

I'm Catholic and know no one who has art like that in their home. Luckily in my country we can have all the secular art we want and have no required pictures. 

Ivy is a real cutie and I like that her clothes aren't particularly girly. 

I'm Catholic, too, and agree that most of us have regular secular art in our homes, but my grandparents certainly had the classic 'Head of Christ' picture on the living room wall as well as a massive reproduction of Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper' in the dining room.  Both far better works of art than stupid Bible quotes and Thomas Kincaide crap.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

'm Catholic, too, and agree that most of us have regular secular art in our homes, but my grandparents certainly had the classic 'Head of Christ' picture on the living room wall as well as a massive reproduction of Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper' in the dining room.  Both far better works of art than stupid Bible quotes and Thomas Kincaide crap.

Every Catholic grandma I know had that art, including mine.

The head wraps are the "thing" now,  the trend doesnt seem to be going away.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'm Catholic, too, and agree that most of us have regular secular art in our homes, but my grandparents certainly had the classic 'Head of Christ' picture on the living room wall as well as a massive reproduction of Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper' in the dining room.  Both far better works of art than stupid Bible quotes and Thomas Kincaide crap.

Lutheran family here.  Didn't everyone have these two pictures?  My grandmother's "Last Supper" was not huge, although "Head of Christ" was of good size.  And the old farmer couple praying "give us this day our daily bread".  We had that one, too.  And I agree, much better than the Bible quotes on wood.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Lutheran family here.  Didn't everyone have these two pictures?  My grandmother's "Last Supper" was not huge, although "Head of Christ" was of good size.  And the old farmer couple praying "give us this day our daily bread".  We had that one, too.  And I agree, much better than the Bible quotes on wood.

My Catholic mother has the old couple--it's brown, and large, and did i mention brown, and it hangs above our brown couch.  My mother loves a brown living room.  We used to have that couch back in the 80s.  If you don't know what I am talking about, just Google it.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

No skirt or dress over Ivy's cute little onesie.

That's going to be Jessa's new secular schtick - gender neutral clothing. She notices any positive feedback from haters and jumps on it. Just like the old days with the internet FUs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

.  And the old farmer couple praying "give us this day our daily bread".  We had that one, too.  And I agree, much better than the Bible quotes on wood.

Oh yes!  This too!  In my grandparents’ dining room!

• Love 2

I find family cultures fascinating. Jessa's house is filled with pictures of themselves. The TTH is half Hobby Lobby, half schoolhouse. You all are mentioning religious art, and in my childhood home we had a pencil sketch of JFK on our living room wall and one Bible in the house.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Better picture of the picture:

39FF09E8-EA68-41B0-8EEB-472E14EEADD3.jpeg

Okay, I'd say it's just a very standard generic landscape picture of a road lined by trees on either side. That's an awfully popular picture subject. And my guess is they chose it because it is generic -- nice enough but doesn't call any attention to itself or its subject matter because its subject matter is so common and it's so dang symmetrical -- and because its color scheme goes with everything else.

(Wouldn't  entirely rule out somebody vaguely remembering one of those "road to Emmaus" pictures from their childhoods....but if they'd actually wanted that I think they would just have picked it instead of a generic road with some light pouring between the trees down at the end of it.....)

Looking at their little knick-knack shelf there, I'd say there's a lot more matchy-matchy fits-the-decorating-scheme decision-making going on in their decor selections than ideas about "I picked this because of its meaning." 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

No Eyevee Jayne? Or Ivey Jainne?

9 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I like it that another poster caught the Sam-like side-eye on Ivy.

The name's starting to grow on me.  The fact that it's spelled the way one would suppose is good.  Weirdly-spelled names are not my thing.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, louannems said:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/524106475364594404/

I had this one hanging on my childhood bedroom.  Didn't every Catholic child?

I remember that print from a Catholic elementary school textbook. It was illustrating a story about a kid who stole a statue of Mary to give to their mom for Mother's Day. It did not go well for the kid. I wonder if Jilly Muffin uses phonics to teach the kids to read? I remember the colored vinyl records we used to have in school for phonics lessons. I wonder if Jill's kids use a Bible geared toward children or must strictly adhere to the original version of the KJB?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jmt111 said:

My Catholic parents had a creepy Jesus statue with him exposing his actual heart!  Needless to say, I never went into their bedroom! 😉

I guess that's one way to avoid having a million kids since the hardcore catholics also don't approve of birth control lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

My grandparents on both sides were what I call "Southern Baptist lite" and there were no Jesus paintings/artwork/statues.  But damn there were books.  I got a box of books from one grandma and it was very entertaining.  The only one I kept was "Bad girls from the Bible".  Simply because I couldn't get over the title. I do remember that both grandmas had the Birth of Venus painting.  The only Thomas Kinkade things were always blankets/throws.  And they had a bunch of them. 

(to keep it semi on topic) The new trend & something all the Duggars seem to love is the Bible verse wooden crap.  Or basically whatever Hobby Lobby is throwing up everywhere.  I'm just waiting to see which one of them is ballsy enough to try out the new letter/name/crossword puzzle style.  il_1588xN.1203432448_7s2l.jpg

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Steff said:

My grandparents on both sides were what I call "Southern Baptist lite" and there were no Jesus paintings/artwork/statues.  But damn there were books.  I got a box of books from one grandma and it was very entertaining.  The only one I kept was "Bad girls from the Bible".  Simply because I couldn't get over the title. I do remember that both grandmas had the Birth of Venus painting.  The only Thomas Kinkade things were always blankets/throws.  And they had a bunch of them. 

(to keep it semi on topic) The new trend & something all the Duggars seem to love is the Bible verse wooden crap.  Or basically whatever Hobby Lobby is throwing up everywhere.  I'm just waiting to see which one of them is ballsy enough to try out the new letter/name/crossword puzzle style.  il_1588xN.1203432448_7s2l.jpg

Sierra has it on her wall.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I do hate this obnoxious self-conscious cult of motherhood. That said, what on earth does it mean to "Tarzan" someone's underwear?

She took her husband underwear and made the kid wear it on his head? I don’t know.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3