Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I know that any due date is an estimate, but with Jessa's lack of prenatal care why would her midwife go on vacation that close without having a backup plan in place?  If you are a self-employed midwife, why would you leave and miss out on the paycheck?  Unless all of this are lies to cover up Teresa Fedosky or Venessa Giron attending the birth.

• Love 10

That episode title -- "A Baby Girl for Jessa." What about Ben, the child's father? Doesn't he count, or is he just a sperm donor? 

Sometimes I'm grateful that I don't have cable. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

So the Fedosky (sp?) woman delivered this baby too.  

I'm speculating, but the Duggars are not the type to abandon a friend just because they lost their license to practice with the state.  But a quick Google search shows that Teresa is still practicing in Arkansas as a "doula" and advertising on a homebirth website.  And it looks like Venessa, the midwife who trained Jill, has moved her practice to Oklahoma.  Neither one would dare show her face on camera, and both would hightail it out of there at the first sign of trouble.

• Love 3

Did the paramedics clear the baby to remain home and be tended by Best Mother and Dr. Jill? The midwife is probably ten miles gone by that time.  I hope nobody claimed that Jill was a legitimate healthcare professional. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Puffin said:

Ben lay down the law lol 😂 this is not gonna happen, Jessa is the boss and if dumbo wants to labour at home that’s where it’s happening. 

I know, I know, but this is life and death we are taking about. Time for Bin to finally grow some balls unless he wants to possibly end up a widower over this. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

Did the paramedics clear the baby to remain home and be tended by Best Mother and Dr. Jill? The midwife is probably ten miles gone by that time.  I hope nobody claimed that Jill was a legitimate healthcare professional. 

The baby went to the hospital also. Jessa and Ivy stayed overnight.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I betcha Jill told them that she’s a midwife!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I am sure everyone here who has given birth was aware that their doctor or midwife couldn't possibly be available 24/7/365 and that there was other coverage.  Nobody has to come up with their own alternate plan for themselves, the practitioner provides it.

Exactly!  When my dr. was out of town, I didn't care which dr. delivered my baby, I got myself to the hospital.  Why would she call 2 incompetent fake midwives to help her out?  I would not include Teresa in any kind of birth plan.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Oh I guarantee they're putting together a life and death episode as we speak. Plus Ivy being born on Mary’s birthday ... I’m sure they have a lot of footage of that. 

"Mary Checks out Ivy"

5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Yes, she hemorrhaged again. 

Jesus Christ, you idiot. Something something the definition of insanity.

I'm sure their awesome insurance will cover the ambulance and hospital visit, right? Or will TLC? Maybe Derick can teach them how to save up? Or just sell pics of the baby to People mag and pay it of quick...

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Exactly.  Any midwife with a license and hospital privileges has to have another midwife or physician to be available to cover for her when she is out of town.  Otherwise, that is patient abandonment and the midwife would lose her hospital privileges and/or license.  It isn't optional.  I am sure everyone here who has given birth was aware that their doctor or midwife couldn't possibly be available 24/7/365 and that there was other coverage.  Nobody has to come up with their own alternate plan for themselves, the practitioner provides it.

I think we talked about this back when Anna claimed she stayed home because the doctor/midwife was out of town.  More likely, she stayed home because the covering practitioner refused to agree to participate in filming the delivery. 

Jessa, of course, lies quite naturally and I presume she concocted the story to deflect any criticism since she hemorrhaged again.

The paramedics weren't called for the baby, they were called for the mom.  Unless the baby looked to be having a medical problem, they had no right to bring her to the hospital or even to examine her themselves.  For that matter, even if she looked sickly, the parents would have to give permission or the EMT's would have to call the cops to assist her.

I think that's exactly what it is. Her midwife was the only one in her practice willing to let her film and when that midwife was unavailable, Jessa had to deliver at home. 

If I'm being generous, I might think that Jessa just wasn't comfortable with the covering practitioners available so decided to stick with what she was used to. I know enough women who really hate the idea of anyone but their preferred OBs attending them, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Jessa heard her midwife was out of town and just noped right out from a purely emotional place. But it's still such a stupid thing to do no matter what the motivation.

Another possibility--and I'm leaning more towards this the more I think about it--is that Jessa wasn't planning to deliver at the hospital at all. She was planning a homebirth with a midwife who had hospital privileges (assuming such midwives exist in Arkansas) just in case she'd need to transfer. It's kind of odd that Jessa would choose a hospital birth this time around since her last delivery went smoothly. If Spurgeon's birth didn't motivate her to deliver Henry in a hospital, why would she plan to deliver Ivy in one? 

• Love 11
(edited)
36 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I think that's exactly what it is. Her midwife was the only one in her practice willing to let her film and when that midwife was unavailable, Jessa had to deliver at home. 

If I'm being generous, I might think that Jessa just wasn't comfortable with the covering practitioners available so decided to stick with what she was used to. I know enough women who really hate the idea of anyone but their preferred OBs attending them, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Jessa heard her midwife was out of town and just noped right out from a purely emotional place. But it's still such a stupid thing to do no matter what the motivation.

Another possibility--and I'm leaning more towards this the more I think about it--is that Jessa wasn't planning to deliver at the hospital at all. She was planning a homebirth with a midwife who had hospital privileges (assuming such midwives exist in Arkansas) just in case she'd need to transfer. It's kind of odd that Jessa would choose a hospital birth this time around since her last delivery went smoothly. If Spurgeon's birth didn't motivate her to deliver Henry in a hospital, why would she plan to deliver Ivy in one? 

Yeah, Jessa's story has more holes than a wheel of Jarlsberg. It's not standing up to scrutiny AT ALL.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 11

That was such a genuinely sweet moment between Guinn and Jessa. Jessa doesn't seem affectionate at all but there was real warmth there when Guinn kissed her. Contrast that moment to when Michelle walked in and just stood by the door like an acquaintance stopping by for a visit. I don't think we even got a shot of Michelle and Jessa in the same frame. Which make me wonder if Michelle and Jana would have rushed over if not for TLC. I can't imagine Michelle being much of a comfort so what's her purpose?

• Love 16

Regarding the baseball caps worn indoors- that is the first sign of a balding man!  (Works with cowboy hats too). 

And good manners dictate you remove your hat/cap the moment you step inside. Anyone who has served in the military (obviously not Alert) should know this...

• Love 13
34 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Regarding the baseball caps worn indoors- that is the first sign of a balding man!  (Works with cowboy hats too). 

And good manners dictate you remove your hat/cap the moment you step inside. Anyone who has served in the military (obviously not Alert) should know this...

Austin doesn't appear to be balding, but he wears ball caps a lot, including, infamously, in the delivery room. I'd say it's a combination of some men are balding and some just have no manners. 

• Love 12

image.png.4e0898be081d38ceeeb996c4a7db6d8e.png

I love that Justin and James are frequently holding a baby (this time it's James with Garrett). Maybe the marrieds can continue to draft uncle-dads into service rather than making the little girls so it.

Was about to say "where's Jackson?" and then I noticed him next to Lauren (who's managing not to clutch her stomach!). He's finally growing a bit! Hard to tell, but maybe he's as tall as Jana now?

• Love 5

The cap-wearing reminds me of teenage trends that happen in school or similar groups.  It's like one of the howlers decided it was "cool" to always wear a cap and then others joined in.  You're then the oddball if you're not wearing a cap.

• Love 1

I know that it’s unlikely that the paramedics were the same individuals as when Spurgeon was born.   But when they rolled up, I couldn’t help but wonder if they were thinking, “Oh, these people again.”

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

...JB said that they'd started out with two boys and a girl, too.

That annoyed me - he’s implying Bin and Jessa are “just starting” and he’s always reminding everyone how many, many kids he has.

Recently we were discussing how big MEchelle’s boobs have gotten- they’re huge in the pic above and in the episode. But they do look “natural”

• Love 10
(edited)

I’m halfway through episode one, and agree - Ben has said, at most, perhaps two words at the water-breaking intro with Jessa, and I think it’s more likely he “mhmm”ed and nodded and has said zero words. He also shot a pretty silently-peeved look at Jill/the camera live-narrating as they left the TTH after Jessa used the stairs. He’s been pretty worried her first two births as well, but so far this is definitely coming off as more holding-his-tongue pissed. Presumably about the Plan B homebirth.

I don’t find the castor oil smoothie and stairs plans odd, given she’s already had two home births and has been exposed to many more; I’m child free but know about castor oil with midwives and home births from my cousin’s wife’s. Given that Jill (sigh) was there by then, she could have easily picked it up on the way over. But obviously “birth at home!” is NOT a sane Plan B to “my preferred provider is unavailable;” the birthing center she was planning on would have taken her anyway. Guessing everyone who’s deducted that it was an issue with no other provider consenting to being filmed.

For those in the know about the midwives in AR and Jessa’s orbit, screenshot:

E7925DE2-2DA6-42CD-9311-61CA6D902C26.jpeg

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

And Michelle’s confused look and the VERY quick cut away when JB tied Ivy’s birth back to them with “that’s just how we started out, two boys and a girl.”

🤣😂🤣😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Also screenshots of Mary coming in first with the family. She was the first of the group to hold the baby, JB was immediate in asking Michelle to get a picture, and it was Ben who suggested Mary hold the baby for the group photo. (It was maybe the 2nd youngest Duggar/the little girl in a purple top handing the baby back to Mary.) 😥

301B7672-017C-491B-AF2A-BD9C845EBC7D.jpeg

29DC4F12-796E-4CB5-AA43-EDA31AF280CF.jpeg

E0E54227-7FE4-4663-8868-7812BB262264.jpeg

EEE8DBE6-6F54-42AF-A476-D79ABB2B21BB.jpeg

866CDAA3-FC16-4978-84D9-A2A530E96300.jpeg

43BC139B-E3E5-47FF-AC1E-ECB31F0D15B9.jpeg

Edited by WalrusGirl
Identification of young Duggar daughter by purple top
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, WalrusGirl said:

And Michelle’s confused look and the VERY quick cut away when JB tied Ivy’s birth back to them with “that’s just how we started out, two boys and a girl.”

🤣😂🤣😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Also screenshots of Mary coming in first with the family. She was the first of the group to hold the baby, JB was immediate in asking Michelle to get a picture, and it was Ben who suggested Mary hold the baby for the group photo. (It was maybe the 2nd youngest Duggar/the little girl just before Josie holding the baby at the time, or at least it was one of those last non-Josie little girls handing the baby back to Mary.)

Was Jill coloring and making a welcome sign for Ivy while Jessa was laboring?

• LOL 15
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Was Jill coloring and making a welcome sign for Ivy while Jessa was laboring?

No, we were thankfully not treated to the sign-making. 🙄 The boys were off film with, presumably, Guinn (do I have Ben’s mom’s name right? My phone knows my true loyalties and autocorrected it to Guinan! 😂) until the end, when they came in with her to meet Ivy when Jessa was settled in a room. Seems likely Jill and/or Jana handled the sign that night or the next morning before Jessa was discharged, since pretty much everyone else was still en route back from the wedding.

• Love 1

C'mon.  Who here believes that the story given was the truth?  No way did Jessa ever intend to give birth in a hospital suite but changed her plan when her midwife went out of town.

I can't prove it, but I think that Jessa always intended to give birth at home again, probably with the dangerous Federosky woman in attendance, and then expected to announce the birth after the fact from the comfort of her home with a smug expression (just like last time).  Jessa really seems invested in giving birth at home, for whatever reason.

Instead, she delivered the baby and then her body didn't stop bleeding.  Just like with the first time, the midwife was running out the back door as the paramedics came rushing in the front door.  At least this time they didn't play around and the hospital was able to stop the bleeding without having to resort to tranfusions, so I guess someone at home (probably Ben and Jill) learned something.

At this rate, Jessa will only have to have one or two more home births go south before she gives up and either jumps off the baby train or goes to the hospital to give birth, but I don't know if she'll ever figure out that her best chance of a good outcome is to work with a real professional and follow their advice from the very beginning of her pregnancy.

• Love 19

I don’t know that there is a way to tell whether or not a mother is more or less likely to hemorrhage after birth. Jessa didn’t hemorrhage with Henry, so I’m not sure she had any reason to suspect she would with Ivy. I was told that my hemorrhage after my first was a fluke. In fact, I was told “redheads just tend to bleed more” as an explanation, and yes, I was in a hospital under a doctor’s care. So I may not have assumed I was at greater risk to hemorrhage again, especially if I didn’t with my second.

My point is that I get why Jessa wasn’t particularly worried. I also noticed that  they did call an ambulance very quickly. In fact, Ivy was still wrapped in towels when they called, so clearly they didn’t wait. I know many will disagree, but I’m just not seeing Jessa’s life in real danger in this situation. She delivered a healthy baby and then was immediately taken to the hospital when her bleeding appeared to be excessive. She also appeared to be just fine in the hospital. She was alert, happy, and smiling. She didn’t look pale or weak at all, so I would suspect her bleeding was quickly under control at the hospital.

Now next time, I will judge her if she doesn’t deliver in a hospital under a doctor’s care because she now has a pattern of hemorrhaging after birth, but this time around, I actually don’t think she made that bad of a choice to deliver at home. And I don’t think she almost died as a result of that choice either. 

My final thought is that I almost teared up when Grandma Duggar walked in because I knew that she died two weeks later and she looked so thrilled to meet Ivy. That really was a sweet moment. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Heathen said:

Austin doesn't appear to be balding, but he wears ball caps a lot, including, infamously, in the delivery room. I'd say it's a combination of some men are balding and some just have no manners. 

When I was a teenager I wore caps all the time (total tomboy) anyway there are times when you are so used to wearing them you forget there attached to your head, so I don’t think there being rude at all. 

5 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I'll give credit when it's due - Lauren did not mention (or TLC didn't air it but we'll go with she didn't mention it) how little Asa would have been born around the same time as Ivy and she didn't mention her current pregnancy, that's progress.

I think Lauren did say more than TLC aired, I just got they feeling they cut it out.

3 hours ago, WalrusGirl said:

🤣😂🤣😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Also screenshots of Mary coming in first with the family. She was the first of the group to hold the baby, JB was immediate in asking Michelle to get a picture, and it was Ben who suggested Mary hold the baby for the group photo. (It was maybe the 2nd youngest Duggar/the little girl in a purple top handing the baby back to Mary.) 😥

To be fair to Michelle they say Josh,Jana, John David etc so she was probably saying that in her head and thinking, no wait I had a boy then a girl then a boy, oh right that’s two boys and a girl lol That’s what I thought when JB said that anyway. 

Seeing Grandma walk in and holding Ivy 😢

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

but I don't know if she'll ever figure out that her best chance of a good outcome is to work with a real professional and follow their advice from the very beginning of her pregnancy  stop having babies.

Fixed that for you.

• LOL 8
  • Love 14
50 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Was Teresa F present for Ivy's birth? I assume so but can't tell from the screenshot above and refuse to try to watch this myself. Thanks.

Yup - caught the baby. I don’t think (but also don’t definitely remember) she, the younger woman (at R in the screenshot below), and Ivy were in the living room with the paramedics on film, but they (my impression was they - at least one or both of them) were in a back room finishing with Ivy when Ben left to head to the hospital. Jill then drove herself, filming some narration on the mounted camera while driving, and as I was all extra appalled hoping she wasn’t recording and driving WITH THE NEWBORN in her car, she said that the midwives were bringing Ivy to the hospital for Jessa to feed, etc. Teresa, the younger woman in the R who I don’t remember being identified (an apprentice?), and Jill were there (along with Ben) for the delivery and when 911 was called. Ben’s on camera as saying, “I say, let’s go. Just to make sure everything’s good.” But we didn’t get any conversational lead-up - just a text block on a black screen that Jessa’s bleeding didn’t stop after delivering. But I think Ben felt much better as soon as Jess was in the EMT’s hands - he finally spoke to Jill’s camera and seemed much less tense, and took the time to change into a pinkish shirt (for “baby girl”) and have the midwives finish checking Ivy before following to the hospital ahead of Jill/Ivy/supposedly the midwives (who weren’t seen pictured in Jessa’s room, and I think Jill carried the baby in, so guessing they handed the baby off to Jill while Jessa was in the process of getting a room), and I believe he’d have hauled ass straight after the rig if indicated.

@Jeeves, thanks for the identity confirmation and credentials checking! I figured from the name it was probably the same woman. 😣

I don’t know about whether she was at higher hemorrhage risk due to one birth with, one without, just that I would never have risked it - but then again, I’d never ever choose to give birth at home the first time anyway, so there’s that. But I do know that she was lucky, both times - that can go very south, very quickly, involving rapid transfusions while they try to control the bleeding. Yes, they definitely didn’t waste time calling, and she lost less blood than the first time, but you truly don’t want to not already be with pitocin and an OR on standby. That was luck.

FE3CD009-BAED-4453-8B54-18E251763A43.jpeg

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I do not believe for one minute that she was planning on birthing at the hospital. She just said that to appease the mainstream masses. Do they ultimately wish to have home births to save money? Would TLC provide them with insurance?  I'm sure many of the these quiver full families lack insurance and try to cut corners by birthing "as God intended" unassisted. It also seems like a bit of martyrdom to suffer and risk possible death at home by refusing proper medical care. Someone is eventually going to push this too far and it's going to end in death. She's setting a terrible example. 

I do wanna know who's paying for the ambulance rides though?  Those aren't cheap either. Neither of them are employed... I always have so many questions about how these "kidults" live with no jobs other than sharing TLC paychecks with an enormous cast. 

Jessa also has the biggest ego but is willing to do anything for a camera. It's just bizarre to me to imagine letting a TV crew into your home to capture one of your most intimate moments. I'd die of embarrassment if I had to share with the world squatting out my baby on a doggy pee pad, on my living room couch while moaning in pain. Don't even get me started on Anna's toilet birth... 

On a totally separate note, I bet Lauren and Josiah are going to take the birth of their rainbow baby up and over the top. 

Edited by LongDenimFrumper
additional info
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18

I would have loved to hear Jessa explaining her prenatal care* to the medical personnel at the hospital. It had to be like a deer in the headlights kind of reaction. 

* I don't believe she had any prenatal care besides Jill. I think the story about her midwife being out-of-town is a total lie--there wasn't a midwife to begin with, yet alone she existed & was out- of-town.  

• Love 15

I won’t side eye too much at the attempted home birth (although I think she’s lying through her teeth about there ever being a birthing center plan). I think (unlike anyone in this family) that women should get to made choice about childbirth and, if, as has been speculated its possible for that to happen spontaneously and not predict a recurrence (will leave info about that being possible to @doodlebug), I don’t know why it wouldn’t be ok. But if they try again for a home birth, I shall roll my eyes out of my head & wonder why these people take a single miscarriage as a personal sign from god to never do any family planning, but this happens & nobody’s asking if Jesus is trying to maybe tell them to maybe not have more kids?

• Useful 1
  • Love 20