Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I meant tv show cameras aren’t allowed to film inside the hospital room during birth 

Sorry, I thought it was clear that we were talking Jessa's home births vs. other Duggar  hospital births. Weren't Kendra's and Jinger's  also cell phone footage in the end?

• Love 2
(edited)

I’ve had 2 girlfriends this past year have a videographer present during their hospital births. When I was recently pregnant (within the year) my OB asked at a final appointment to list who would be present for the birth, up to 5 people. Many women in my circles have at least had professional photographers. I did not have either, so I can’t say what they have to sign. But it is a lie that no filming is allowed at all across the board. TV cameras I’m assuming are different, for obvious reasons. 

I think they do home births as their only way to compete with each other. Who is stronger, etc. and the lack of prenatal care. Little to any of the decisions have to do with the actual hospital or money, in my opinion. 

Edited by Farmfam
  • Love 8
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

I’ve had 2 girlfriends this past year have a videographer present during their hospital births. When I was recently pregnant (within the year) my OB asked at a final appointment to list who would be present for the birth, up to 5 people. Many women in my circles have at least had professional photographers. I did not have either, so I can’t say what they have to sign. But it is a lie that no filming is allowed at all across the board. TV cameras I’m assuming are different, for obvious reasons. 

I think they do home births as their only way to compete with each other. Who is stronger, etc. and the lack of prenatal care. Little to any of the decisions have to do with the actual hospital or money, in my opinion. 

It's not a lie. It's just that some hospitals do allow videography and others very firmly do not -- across the board. Just as your friends have experience with hospitals where it's allowed, many other people have experience with hospitals where it's absolutely not allowed. 

Still photos are allowed most places, at least at some point during the event. But video is different. Some hospitals and ob-gyns believe that, if they're sued for malpractice related to the birth, having a video of the birth that could be used in court as evidence would jeopardize them unfairly. Because even things that happen during a perfectly normal, well-conducted birth could look dangerous or suspicious to a jury who know nothing about medicine. I think they have a point. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

When did childbirth become a performance requiring an audience?  I'm sorry - I don't understand this.

Yeah, I don’t either. I had nobody “extra” and couldn’t haven imagined a show, especially one I would want recorded on video or in photography! 

• Love 8

One of my clients is a photographer. One of the things she photographs are births. She actually came to my office to show me the birth. Of someone I do not know. And never will know. And I have no children. By choice. 

Um... no. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

One of my clients is a photographer. One of the things she photographs are births. She actually came to my office to show me the birth. Of someone I do not know. And never will know. And I have no children. By choice. 

Um... no. 

Oh my! Perhaps HIPPA needs to add photographers!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

My former SIL was taped giving birth.  I'm not sure if she knew her husband was going to do it, but when it came time to push, he left her side and stood next to the doctor video taping the whole damned thing.

Then he went home to where her parents were waiting and asked them if they'd like to see their newest grandchild.  He deliberately didn't tell them what he was about to do when he popped the cassette into the VCR and turned it on.  Her father was not amused.

But he wasn't done yet.  A couple of days later he took the cassette to work and took over a meeting room.  He walked through the break room asking if anyone wanted to see it.  She has had people she's never met watch her give birth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Jessica is a police officer, correct?

If Jessica was smart, she would tell the Duggar-Seewald clan to NOT post on social media about her personal life.  The Duggars are controversial people with controversial opinions.  They attract attention.

I know many of us have said that we are careful on social media because of our professionals jobs etc.  Using my real name, I will post cute memes or some food recipes, maybe an occasional picture of my family. I do not post anything political, religious or anything that could be upsetting to anyone. 

Jessica, the cop, might not want to be splashed on Duggar social media. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Um... no. 

Just curious...do these people charge by the hour?  Do they wait around until junior finally appears at the buttcrack of dawn?  Sounds like a strange occupation to me.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

My former SIL was taped giving birth.  I'm not sure if she knew her husband was going to do it, but when it came time to push, he left her side and stood next to the doctor video taping the whole damned thing.

Then he went home to where her parents were waiting and asked them if they'd like to see their newest grandchild.  He deliberately didn't tell them what he was about to do when he popped the cassette into the VCR and turned it on.  Her father was not amused.

But he wasn't done yet.  A couple of days later he took the cassette to work and took over a meeting room.  He walked through the break room asking if anyone wanted to see it.  She has had people she's never met watch her give birth.

The great philosopher Jeff Foxworthy did say that any man that wanted to film his wife giving birth deserved to have her film his hemorrhoid surgery later on!

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Oh my! Perhaps HIPPA needs to add photographers!

Oh, HIPAA does include photos. it very much includes photos. 

If a hospital posts a photo on its Facebook account that accidentally includes in the background a very distinctive (and thus easily identifiable) tattoo on a patient's arm, for example, that's a HIPAA violation unless the person has given explicit permission. 

Healthcare providers have to take precautions against patients and visitors taking and posting photos of other patients without their permission, too. They have some leeway there, because they wouldn't be directly responsible for a photo. But if the pictured person sued, the hospital or whoever would be well advised to have posted signs banning people from photographing patients other than their own families so they can demonstrate that they did what they could. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Just curious...do these people charge by the hour?  Do they wait around until junior finally appears at the buttcrack of dawn?  Sounds like a strange occupation to me.

I cannot speak for them all, but the one that I know of charges a flat rate. Very expensive, like over $1000 (videographer) you get admitted and she would come by and do some shots and leave. Then you were to call when the doctor says your close. She would come back, and then again return when the family comes to meet the baby. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

So weird...all these last posts on the matter...It boggles my mind that apparently there are enough people out there who consider this sort of thing on the same level as, say, wedding pictures, that there would be not just a friend present at the birth to snap a couple of shots of the really important moments, but actual professional photographers. Heck, even my own wedding album is just a compilation of shots from the people who were there (about 40 total, but probably only 4 or 5 with cameras). Then again I AM edging toward old....

• Love 9

The only pictures I had taken were after the birth of my kids. My husband can't imagine doing that. Taking pictures or video of me giving birth. Sick. But with the Duggars, they have no morals.. They filmed Anna giving birth on the toilet. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The only pictures I had taken were after the birth of my kids. My husband can't imagine doing that. Taking pictures or video of me giving birth. Sick. But with the Duggars, they have no morals.. They filmed Anna giving birth on the toilet. 

I don't know whether I'd go so far as to label it sick, but either seriously crunchy granola or overly self absorbed at best...

• Love 7

I watched a birth/death video in an art class because some asshole thought he'd film his wife giving birth and intersect it with video of one of his parents on his/her deathbed. That birth footage was really right up in there, too, so she has had countless random strangers view that. I just remember my professor saying over and over again, isn't this beautiful, and I was like, are you on fucking drugs?

I have a friend who has a better birth video horror story. He said for his sex ed class in junior high, they had to watch a homemade birth video. He later found out it was of one of his teachers. He said every time he saw her after that, he could not unsee what he had seen. . . . 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Zella said:

I watched a birth/death video in an art class because some asshole thought he'd film his wife giving birth and intersect it with video of one of his parents on his/her deathbed. That birth footage was really right up in there, too, so she has had countless random strangers view that. I just remember my professor saying over and over again, isn't this beautiful, and I was like, are you on fucking drugs?

I have a friend who has a better birth video horror story. He said for his sex ed class in junior high, they had to watch a homemade birth video. He later found out it was of one of his teachers. He said every time he saw her after that, he could not unsee what he had seen. . . . 

I wish someone would film his hemorrhoid surgery!

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Pre video there would be photos of this.  I remember being around 10 sitting in the living room of my grandparents house.  All of my Grammy's friends were there with their husbands, my parents, and the adult kids of one of Grammy's friends.  The husband of the adult kid pulls out photos of the recent birth of his son and passes around one saying look, he's crowning.  I don't know who was more uncomfortable.  The 70+ year olds in the room, my parents, or me.  SOOO not a party favor.  Perhaps this is why I don't have kids.  HA!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, leighdear said:

So I'm assuming this thread is pretty much on baby-watch. 

They really do need another boy.  

Well I read somewhere that Jessa and Ben both said they would be happy with another boy (not sure where).  My best guesses for the name are Owen or Calvin or maybe even Wesley. (Apparently John Owen was a 17th century theologian.)

For girls, I have no idea, but a lot of people have guessed Piper Lauren. Piper for John Piper. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

For girls, I have no idea, but a lot of people have guessed Piper Lauren. Piper for John Piper. 

Wow. There'd be some rich irony for you. Naming a girl after a guy whose main shtick is ordering women to sit down, shut up and stay in their [highly limited] place. 

• Love 6

IMO Jessa's too proud and stiff-necked to use any names that have been widely mentioned for the baby on social media.

I remember that she made a big mystery of disclosing Spurgeon's name for, what, a week or two after the birth? Of course, that was back when People gave her an exclusive and TLC gave a sh*t, and she was the Hot Duggar Daughter. Now she's just a woman having her third baby, which only happens like a million times a year all over the place. 

But still, good old Jessa may try to surprise everybody and get some innernet news site clicks with this baby. Maybe People will come across with some cash for an exclusive, even.

• Love 4

Credit where credit is due - I'm glad they had a girl just to round things out and I like the name, cute, slightly different but not "far out there what were they thinking that poor kid" different.  US coverage says she was born at home and no mention of any problems or hospital trips or issues.  I don't know if that's the best choice after the problems with Spurgeons birth but she's pulled it off twice now and whether it was safe to do or she was just lucky she's OK and the kids seem healthy which is the important thing.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Credit where credit is due - I'm glad they had a girl just to round things out and I like the name, cute, slightly different but not "far out there what were they thinking that poor kid" different.  US coverage says she was born at home and no mention of any problems or hospital trips or issues I don't know if that's the best choice after the problems with Spurgeons birth but she's pulled it off twice now and whether it was safe to do or she was just lucky she's OK and the kids seem healthy which is the important thing.

Yes it worries me slightly that these Duggar women don't have hospital births ( except Jinger and Kendra), I always think what if something goes wrong. The majority of Michelle's birth were in hospital weren't they? Why are they so obsessed with giving birth at home? If they want to try it once I understand but every birth? I swear if Joy tries giving birth at home again a vein is gonna pop in my head. 

• Love 15

I love Ivy Jane! It blends modern and classic, which is nice. Now I feel even more sorry for Spurgeon, though. Looks like the rest of his siblings might have normal names, and he will be stuck with the strange one. I hope that when he is older, he will go by Elliot!

• Love 24
7 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Yes it worries me slightly that these Duggar women don't have hospital births ( except Jinger and Kendra), I always think what if something goes wrong. The majority of Michelle's birth were in hospital weren't they? Why are they so obsessed with giving birth at home? If they want to try it once I understand but every birth? I swear if Joy tries giving birth at home again a vein is gonna pop in my head. 

I agree. Considering the past problems, one would think you'd want to be safe. 

• Love 5

I'm always a bit sad over a girl born into a fundie family but she's a cutie.

9 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I love Ivy Jane! It blends modern and classic, which is nice. Now I feel even more sorry for Spurgeon, though. Looks like the rest of his siblings might have normal names, and he will be stuck with the strange one. I hope that when he is older, he will go by Elliot!

Ben was clearly going through a phase when Spurgeon was born and the poor child is going to have to live with the result. Too bad Jessa didn't fight him more on it, or at the very least, just refer to him as Elliot instead of going all "Fuck you, haters" and calling him Spurgeon despite obviously hating the name. I guess since girls aren't leaders, Ben didn't feel the need to go with some historically significantly ugly-ass name.

• Love 13
(edited)

Aaaaaand......#headwrap #hairbow #headband #turban #hat #giantflower #flouncything #ouch

ETA: Newborns are so funny...she looks like Elton John.

Edited by drafan
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

I'm surprised it's a girl and even more that it's a normal name. Poor Spurge and Wilberforce, I know Jessa is sick of Bin's shit. And yes, Jessa must be kicking herself for not calling him Elliot earlier on.

• Love 9
(edited)

Jessa and Ben have said they find out the gender privately ahead of time and don't tell anyone else the gender.  So they knew she was a girl and decided not to brag ahead of time or do a big reveal to announce it, etc.  Kudos to them for knowing and keeping it quiet!

4 hours ago, Lunera said:

I'm surprised it's a girl and even more that it's a normal name. Poor Spurge and Wilberforce, I know Jessa is sick of Bin's shit. And yes, Jessa must be kicking herself for not calling him Elliot earlier on.

Henry is a normal name and his unusual middle name is not a big deal imo.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 11
(edited)
28 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree. Considering the past problems, one would think you'd want to be safe. 

Maybe she figured a home birth would get her more minutes on the show since they could take video of as much of it as they wanted. And, you know, those mean old hospitals put limits on that. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Jessa's more than a little chagrined that her central role in the show might be dwindling...

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

It's too bad Jessa didn't go with her original instinct and call him Quincy. Quincy, Henry and Ivy would've been an adorable trio of names. They flow so well together. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 16