Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Am I the only one surprised that this is the boys first trip to a zoo? 

Could it be they don't live that close to a zoo?  The nearest zoo around here is 70 miles away.  I can remember going twice in my youth and one of those times was on a high school class trip.

Activated charcoal is also supposedly good for food poisoning.  I keep some on hand for that reason.  Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.  

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

I can see the Duggars n company going to a buffet buying 1 plate and going back 20+ times to feed the whole family

That's why many, if not most buffet-style restaurants already forbid people to share a plate. 

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Could it be they don't live that close to a zoo?  The nearest zoo around here is 70 miles away.  I can remember going twice in my youth and one of those times was on a high school class trip.

Activated charcoal is also supposedly good for food poisoning.  I keep some on hand for that reason.  Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.  

Google images show that that's the LIttle Rock zoo.  So the Seewalds must have been up visiting the Seewalds. That's a voyage of about 200 miles.

There's a pretty big safari park 20 miles down the road from Tontitown, though, also according to the Google. It's possible they've been there and just not counted it as a zoo visit. Kinda doesn't sound like it, though, given what they said and wrote here. .... Most safari parks have zebras, so surely they'd have seen one of those outside a book. On the other hand, Spurgie could have been there when he was too young to remember.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Boys go to the zoo. Ben looks like a grade A douchebag.

I’m kind of surprised that this is the boys first trip to the zoo, just like @bigbingerbro For all of my friends with small kids (and myself as a small child), the zoo is a pretty typical activity during the warmer months because it’s low cost and the children can be outside. 

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Am I the only one surprised that this is the boys first trip to a zoo?  I guess I am too used to Outdaughtered and the Little Couple where activities like this seem like a boring Sunday afternoon activity they have done 1000 times already.  Plus this isn't even a filmed event!  I'd have thought that TLC would have taken them a dozen times already.  The "Duggar" brand budget must be dwindling.

Yes the zoo is a Sunday activity plenty of “normal” families do all the time. 

• Love 2

I can kind of understand it. Think of Jessa's upbrining. During the early years of the show, any time the family did an outing, the J'Slaves were always wrangling toddlers and pushing babies while Boob and Michelle waltzed ahead without a care in the world. For Jessa, those show-sponsored field trips weren't fun because she was essentially a working nanny, not an active participant. Maybe there's bad memory holdover that makes her just not want to be bothered? 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

For Jessa, those show-sponsored field trips weren't fun because she was essentially a working nanny, not an active participant. Maybe there's bad memory holdover that makes her just not want to be bothered? 

Plus the four hour or so drive each way and the zoo can easily become a once a year a the most activity.  With the pregnancies perhaps even less.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Plus the four hour or so drive each way and the zoo can easily become a once a year a the most activity.  With the pregnancies perhaps even less.

We lived less than 4 hours from a few zoos and we only went to them a few times during my whole childhood. (Even fewer if you don't count school field trips.) 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Absolom said:

25 minutes ago, Temperance said:

We lived less than 4 hours from a few zoos and we only went to them a few times during my whole childhood. (Even fewer if you don't count school field trips.) 

This makes a lot of sense thanks. I didn’t realize the zoo was so far away. Also different “typical” families may not like the zoo for various reasons. 

I am not a fan of Ben’s beard. I think it would look neater just a bit shorter. 

• Love 2

Spurge and Henry would not know the fun of going on school field trips. I remember going to the post office, fire department and East Helena Smelter. In my junior year of high school, my Psychology teacher wanted to take us to the state prison or the state mental hospital, but the principal and school board said no. We ended up going to the state school for the developmentally disabled instead.

4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Spurge and Henry would not know the fun of going on school field trips. I remember going to the post office, fire department and East Helena Smelter. In my junior year of high school, my Psychology teacher wanted to take us to the state prison or the state mental hospital, but the principal and school board said no. We ended up going to the state school for the developmentally disabled instead.

My senior I chose to go to a shopping area in Kansas City and got stuck in an elevator woo hoo

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Am I the only one surprised that this is the boys first trip to a zoo?  I guess I am too used to Outdaughtered and the Little Couple where activities like this seem like a boring Sunday afternoon activity they have done 1000 times already.  Plus this isn't even a filmed event!  I'd have thought that TLC would have taken them a dozen times already.  The "Duggar" brand budget must be dwindling.

Yes I’m surprised TLC hasn’t paid for a trip to the zoo or somewhere, just to show them doing something different. Theres only so many times you can watch these people hanging around the house, cooking something they haven’t made before, announcing they’re expecting and giving birth 😴

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, BrianJ1962 said:

I was thinking twatwaffle but douchebag fits well, wait he's a Twatbag 😂

Any idea what day of the week Twatbag and family went to the zoo?  Today, Saturday, my husband and I went to our zoo.  Because it was a Saturday and finally a beautiful day, it was filled with families and extended families of all shapes and sizes.  Such a vibrant day.  Hopefully Twatbag's boys did interact with other little ones and oldies like us, they didn't  know.

Edited by fonfereksglen
Random letters appearing.
  • Love 1

Jessa's renowned for posting things well after the fact. She posted this yesterday, so I'd wager that Ben skipped a day of class and went to Little Rock with the family on Wed or Thurs.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Puffin said:

Yes I’m surprised TLC hasn’t paid for a trip to the zoo or somewhere, just to show them doing something different. Theres only so many times you can watch these people hanging around the house, cooking something they haven’t made before, announcing they’re expecting and giving birth 😴

Well, as an audience slowly slowly dwindles, I think a network's main aim is to keep cutting the cost of the show as much as possible, so it keeps giving them some return as long as possible.

They already know that when a show loses steam with the audience it almost never gets it back, so they almost certainly don't consider it worth any more investment, however small. But if they just keep trimming costs, they can continue making money for a while without the considerable expense and real risk of trying out a new show.

I imagine that might explain TLC's lack of interest in arranging anything for these idiots to do.

In a case like this a penny saved is a penny earned. And a penny earned that they almost certainly won't earn by any other means when it comes to a show that's as far onto the rocks as this one. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Ben reminds me of a fundie I used to work with. I have mentioned him on here before.

He was the ultimate hipster and despite being a real Bible thumper went through a styling phase a couple of years ago that was--I am not making this up--inspired by Ragnar on The Vikings. He could not pull it off, to put it mildly, and looked like a moron. 

• LOL 16
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

Ben reminds me of a fundie I used to work with. I have mentioned him on here before.

He was the ultimate hipster and despite being a real Bible thumper went through a styling phase a couple of years ago that was--I am not making this up--inspired by Ragnar on The Vikings. He could not pull it off, to put it mildly, and looked like a moron. 

The actor who played Ragnar, Travis Fimmel, is smoking freaking hot. That's a tough act to duplicate!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

The actor who played Ragnar, Travis Fimmel, is smoking freaking hot. That's a tough act to duplicate!

Yeah Travis Fimmel pulls it off very well!

But transfer that look to a much less attractive and fit dude, and the results are not pretty. What was bad is he was in sales and was meeting customers frequently. I have often wondered how many potential clients he put off. 😂

Oh oh oh this was the same guy who couldn't understand why women thought Jason Momoa was hot. Every woman in the room, myself included, just about died laughing at him. He got mad and left. 😂😂😂

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Spurge and Henry would not know the fun of going on school field trips. 

My son's preschool class made Mother's Day cards for their moms & walked them a few blocks away to the post office to mail them. They got a quick tour of the post office & were so excited when the cards showed up at their houses. They passed the fire house on the way & stopped in to say a quick hello to the firefighters too.   

This was about 25 years ago but as far as I know the walk to the post office is still done at the preschool which is part of our church. Too bad the Duggar kids & now the grands will miss out on school trips like this. 

ETA: I know the Duggars had their own versions of school trips like when they went to the home insulation place when they were building the TTH.  Except  the activities were either too old or too young for some of the kids because of  their age difference.  I remember the older ones riding in a kiddie type of train on a farm.  Fine for the littles but not for teenage Josh, JD & the older girls except for being the littles' buddies.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

My son's preschool class made Mother's Day cards for their moms & walked them a few blocks away to the post office to mail them. They got a quick tour of the post office & were so excited when the cards showed up at their houses. They passed the fire house on the way & stopped in to say a quick hello to the firefighters too.   

This was about 25 years ago but as far as I know the walk to the post office is still done at the preschool which is part of our church. Too bad the Duggar kids & now the grands will miss out on school trips like this. 

ETA: I know the Duggars had their own versions of school trips like when they went to the home insulation place when they were building the TTH.  Except  the activities were either too old or too young for some of the kids because of  their age difference.  I remember the older ones riding in a kiddie type of train on a farm.  Fine for the littles but not for teenage Josh, JD & the older girls except for being the littles' buddies.

I remember writing a letter to my grandparents and going to the post office to see how they process mail. It was so cool to see how my letter went through the post office system. My grandparents got my letter, and they love the fact it was part of a class project and field trip.

UGH!!! The thought of the Duggars thinking they learn how to put in insulation. I was joking with the one guy who did the majority of the work on our house about my lack of skills when it comes to home repairs. He was able to help my husband figure out how to turn off the power and gas to our pain in the behind wall oven. My husband was glad because he was worried about making a mistake because of the gas line. I told my husband he should go into this type of work because he is a fast learner, and he would go out and help others. Not like the Duggars who think they are God's gift to home repairs and only are in it for themselves.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

They also took a vacation to Japan and China and did various activities like sushi-making, sword fighting and geisha dress.  They've also been to Europe and Israel, not to mention Central America several times.  They may be missing out on school field trips, but they are getting more exposure than average American kids.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

They also took a vacation to Japan and China and did various activities like sushi-making, sword fighting and geisha dress.  They've also been to Europe and Israel, not to mention Central America several times.  They may be missing out on school field trips, but they are getting more exposure than average American kids.

True, but they only got to do it because their parents are famewhores and someone else *cough TLC cough* paid for it. I would rather go on a fun school field trip or visit family than go on a trip with the Duggars.

41 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

In the early days, TLC was very generous in sending the family on wonderful trips, but I have seen no evidence that any of the Duggars have benefitted or absorbed anything from them long term. They're still living in their insulated bubble associating only with the right type of Christian and praying to the correct Jesus.

You would have thought that some of them would have gotten the urge to broaden their horizons and see the world and the wonders that it offers.

But then again, Europe has lots of Catholics!!!, forget that it also has art, history great food and lovely people. And Israel has, well you guessed it, Jews!! who are not Christians.

I would have given anything if TLC had done an episode of the family working on a kibbutz. But then they would have met strong young men and women working and fighting side by side. Heaven forbid!!

The only thing I remember from any those trips is JB God- bothering the locals, and telling everyone they had 19 kids.

Even in NY, at the pizza place didn’t he a hand out Bible tracts instead of a tip? 

The whole family is small minded, judgmental, fearful, and ignorant. Too bad they haven’t got a clue as to what they’re missing.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah, they've definitely gotten breaks that a lot of people would love to have. Of course that's one of the things that makes me most annoyed! 

In travel, the amount of exposure you actually get depends on who you're traveling with and how you travel, too, not just on where you go, right? 

I saw a clip of their visit to the Ethiopian restaurant here in DC. And as far as I can tell, even in the United States pretty much every single Duggar traveled well wrapped in a cocoon of other Duggars wholly dedicated to avoiding any actual exposure at all to people, food, thoughts, whatever that they weren't already acquainted and comfortable with. And a cocoon that, to some extent, was pretty much not just saying "ewww" about the unfamiliar but even ridiculing it a bit as well. 

I can only imagine that the protective shell pulled itself together even more tightly when they were in other countries. 

• Love 15

In the old days, when the Duggars were building the TTH themselves, any 'educational' field trip that those children took was to benefit the family and the building of that house.....all with child labor. Yes, the isulation place and other various construction sites and contractor places of business to 'learn' how to do it yourself. Jim Bob had and always has ulterior motives.

• Love 7

A handful of posts have been moved to the Small Talk thread. Please keep your comments in this thread about the Seewalds, please. 

4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Jessa posted a cute video on instagram. Her boys are precious. 

Her boys are adorable but, unfortunately, Jessa is shrilling again.  Her lack of education, and job training will lead to a lifetime of shrilling to provide for her kids.

• Love 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, louannems said:

Her boys are adorable but, unfortunately, Jessa is shrilling again.  Her lack of education, and job training will lead to a lifetime of shrilling to provide for her kids.

And the thing that bugs me most -- They're likely heading their kids in the same direction. Most of the new-generation offspring seem, again, to be mainly isolated among Duggars, and they're clearly watching their parents model coasting on TeeVee money and thinking you can learn a trade by watching somebody do it for half an hour. 

Worst of all, most if not all of them are headed toward a homeschool in which the mother doing the schooling is even more ignorant than the mother who schooled ber -- because with Meeechelle and the Gothard wisdom books as your "teachers," you'll not only come out a know-nothing but a know-nothing who is probably pretty negative toward knowing anything and certainly negative toward thinking anything or examining anything.

Nobody cared that teenage boys seemed barely able to add, for example. And heaven knows about Josie.

The female marryers-in might be a little better. But how the heck could Kendra, for example, have received much of an education, with all those other kids coming along so closely behind? And, of course, in their world the women are the children's "teachers" because they're considered unsuitable to do anything else. Plus, the "schools" at home exist primarily for the purpose of keeping the kids away from any other influences but their parents. 

And for this next generation, there almost certainly won't be a TeeVee-show bill-paying machine. How would any of them afford to send a bunch of kids to private school? -- because they won't send them to public school....And there certainly won't be a Jim Bob handing out "jobs." ...

Yet most of these families seem to be drifting toward putting their kids in just that untenable situation down the line -- and even the ones who ought to know better, notably Der and Jer, have disturbing tendencies in this regard, in my opinion.

Jer rants about how a year or two of actual school nearly destroyed his life, and he's a firm believer in homeschooling. (possibly forgetting that he was homeschooled by a mother with an education, and not somebody who was educated by Meeechelle Duggar?.... and Der seems to have drunk all kinds of Kool Aid in this way as well, despite his college degree -- the only reason he could have had any hopes at all of being an SBC missionary or an FBI agent or going to law school -- and his executive mother...)

And, really, Der's and Jer's kids are the only ones that seem likely to even get a chance to have a better experience by maybe joining a homeschool co-op or something. I see little hope at all for the other grandbabies to be extricated from the downward spiral of ignorance going on here. 

(I'm not an opponent of all homeschooling, by the way. Many many homeschoolers do it because they love learning and believe in it. And they do a fine job.

But these people are in a tradition that does it in order to keep kids from learning anything or mingling with the real world or, in the girls' case, ever envisioning themselves as full human beings capable of participating fully in society.

And without Jim Bob's money and "employment" and TeeVee money, that may be disastrous for some or even many of the "grandbabies"  in this rising generation. Shilling for fundie businesses on instagram will be no substitute for what they ought to have.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 22
(edited)
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

And the thing that bugs me most -- They're likely heading their kids in the same direction. Most of the new-generation offspring seem, again, to be mainly isolated among Duggars, and they're clearly watching their parents model coasting on TeeVee money and thinking you can learn a trade by watching somebody do it for half an hour. 

Worst of all, most if not all of them are headed toward a homeschool in which the mother doing the schooling is even more ignorant than the mother who schooled ber -- because with Meeechelle and the Gothard wisdom books as your "teachers," you'll not only come out a know-nothing but a know-nothing who is probably pretty negative toward knowing anything and certainly negative toward thinking anything or examining anything.

Nobody cared that teenage boys seemed barely able to add, for example. And heaven knows about Josie.

The female marryers-in might be a little better. But how the heck could Kendra, for example, have received much of an education, with all those other kids coming along so closely behind? And, of course, in their world the women are the children's "teachers" because they're considered unsuitable to do anything else. Plus, the "schools" at home exist primarily for the purpose of keeping the kids away from any other influences but their parents. 

And for this next generation, there almost certainly won't be a TeeVee-show bill-paying machine. How would any of them afford to send a bunch of kids to private school? -- because they won't send them to public school....And there certainly won't be a Jim Bob handing out "jobs." ...

Yet most of these families seem to be drifting toward putting their kids in just that untenable situation down the line -- and even the ones who ought to know better, notably Der and Jer, have disturbing tendencies in this regard, in my opinion.

Jer rants about how a year or two of actual school nearly destroyed his life, and he's a firm believer in homeschooling. (possibly forgetting that he was homeschooled by a mother with an education, and not somebody who was educated by Meeechelle Duggar?.... and Der seems to have drunk all kinds of Kool Aid in this way as well, despite his college degree -- the only reason he could have had any hopes at all of being an SBC missionary or an FBI agent or going to law school -- and his executive mother...)

And, really, Der's and Jer's kids are the only ones that seem likely to even get a chance to have a better experience by maybe joining a homeschool co-op or something. I see little hope at all for the other grandbabies to be extricated from the downward spiral of ignorance going on here. 

(I'm not an opponent of all homeschooling, by the way. Many many homeschoolers do it because they love learning and believe in it. And they do a fine job.

But these people are in a tradition that does it in order to keep kids from learning anything or mingling with the real world or, in the girls' case, ever envisioning themselves as full human beings capable of participating fully in society.

And without Jim Bob's money and "employment" and TeeVee money, that may be disastrous for some or even many of the "grandbabies"  in this rising generation. Shilling for fundie businesses on instagram will be no substitute for what they ought to have.)

I agree with the general gist of this, but a few quibbles. 

Ben has been shown homeschooling Jessa's siblings so men can also be teachers and help with the kids' education.  Ben's sisters have been able to get jobs in the real world which makes me think Guinn did a decent job homeschooling them. 

Secondly Michelle herself had a high school diploma and went to school her whole childhood and was an educated mother herself.  It's different from Jeremy' mother who has a college degree and a masters, but she is more educated than her daughters. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

My Golden Retriever is more educated than Michelle’s daughters. 

And he’s attended school a whole lot more.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Great minds...

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

I agree with the general gist of this, but a few quibbles. 

Ben has been shown homeschooling Jessa's siblings so men can also be teachers and help with the kids' education.  Ben's sisters have been able to get jobs in the real world which makes me think Guinn did a decent job homeschooling them. 

Secondly Michelle herself had a high school diploma and went to school her whole childhood and was an educated mother herself.  It's different from Jeremy' mother who has a college degree and a masters, but she is more educated than her daughters. 

Points taken!

I think we have a terminology dispute on Meechelle, and I didn't explain my terminology.

For me, if you have a high-school diploma only and are teaching kids through high school graduation, unless you're a true autodidact or someone with great creativity and intellectual curiosity -- and those people definitely do exist and some do homeschool -- then you count as "uneducated" once you're claiming to provide a high-school education. 

For me, Meeechelle is in that category because I see no evidence that she has the interest or work ethic to have boned up on high-school subjects enough or assembled enough outside resources to teach kids all the way to the level she herself achieved.

Granted, most states put absolutely no requirements on who's educated enough to teach their own kids to any level.

But I think those states have just abdicated their responsibility because they don't want to tangle with the very politically powerful conservative-Christian community! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

est or work ethic to have boned up on high-school subjects enough or assembled enough outside resources to teach kids all the way to the level she herself achieved.

She admitted she personally stopped teaching them after 3rd grade, letting in fall to Jessa.

Jessa.

Sigh...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

She admitted she personally stopped teaching them after 3rd grade, letting in fall to Jessa.

Jessa.

Sigh...

Ah, the actions of people who truly want the best for their many children! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Jessa.

Sigh...

And all Jessa did was check their test scores on the computer. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

And all Jessa did was check their test scores on the computer. 

That's probably all Meeechelle did, too, of course. Or maybe more than Meeechelle did. 

Although I suppose they both did make all the kids memorize and recite Psalm 1, KJV, without understanding a single word of it. 

• Love 3

As I understand it, the program they used then required that the student pass each assignment before they could move on. Not sure what counted as passing, though. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

As I understand it, the program they used then required that the student pass each assignment before they could move on. Not sure what counted as passing, though. 

So what Jessa did seems to have been making sure they actually completed the work on the computer. One potential pitfall of homeschooling is having kids do internet/computer work, but then with no one holding them accountable (like in a school), the kids will off stop doing the school work in lieu of what seems more entertaining with them. Jessa's job was to see if the kid had taken test and telling them to take the test (do the work) if they hadn't done it.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And it didn’t matter if they passed or not.

"Just keep clicking until it prints your diploma!"

I suppose Tabby and now Laura/Ben try to teach, a little. I'm sure it's about what you'd expect, too.

• Love 5