Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I was raised Catholic and we always called them "Deviled" Eggs.  I only heard thee Angel Pockets or whatever when the Duggars posted about them.  

So was I and they are deviled eggs too. And its Devil's food cake which if it has crumbs you might clean it with a Dirt Devil. Oh and I grew up eating a lot of Deviled Ham sandwiches! 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I was raised Catholic and we always called them "Deviled" Eggs.  I only heard thee Angel Pockets or whatever when the Duggars posted about them.  

My large extended family is SBC and I spent a lot of time with them growing up. It was deviled eggs and devil's food cake. That was a few decades ago and they aren't fundies, but definitely there was none of the "ban the word!" foolishness going on. It was cake. It was an egg dish. Everybody had better things to do than get their panties in a knot over what a dish was called. 

So, what happens if you speak the word "devil?" Does God lose power, like in Peter Pan when Tinkerbelle's light starts to fade? Does the devil jump out and grab you and take you to hell? Do you become a Satan-worshipper? 

• LOL 21
  • Love 2

I've noticed a lot of christian replacement words popping up in the last 5-10 years. The fundy church I went to for 10 years replaced Easter with Resurrection Day a few years ago and the pastor's granddaughter has an angel garden instead of a fairy garden. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

So, the other night I posted about a baseball game I watched in which a guy named Sewald pitched to a guy named Duggar. Tonight, I am watching hockey, and a guy named Spurgeon is playing for the Minnesota Wild. 

That's not a name you run into every day. 😁

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 8
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, the other night I posted about a baseball game I watched in which a guy named Sewald pitched to a guy named Duggar. Tonight, I am watching hockey, and a guy named Spurgeon is playing for the Minnesota Wild. 

That's not a name you run into every day. 😁

Back when I had an office to go to (pre-COVID), there was a group of four desks occupied by a Ben, a Derek, an Austin, and a Jeremy, I kid you not. 

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

"Deviling" is a cooking term from the 1700's that has nothing to do with the devil.   "Deviled" foods are highly spiced.  Deviled eggs have mustard and paprika added.  Deviled meat is when meat is spiced and blended into a sandwich spread.  You can devil salmon, chicken, ham--just about anything.  Just add spices.  I guess you could stretch a point to say the heat of the spices equates to the heat of hell, and maybe these Fundies do.  But I am sure they do not know the meaning of the term.

Fundies aren't ones to ever let a little thing like knowledge get in the way of climbing up on their pedestals of piety.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13

So sad that Henry thinks the difference between boys and girls is "long hair vs short hair" and "hair bow or no hair bow." Jessa then asks Ivy where her hair bow is. Spurge is totally over it. Not even pretending to be excited. Of course they don;t reveal the gender because I guess that has to be a TLC episode.

• Love 1

Isn't Henry old enough to know the difference between a boy and a girl?

Can the boys even see their baby sister naked, so they can compare bodies? My daughter is 3 and for a long time knows what she has, and what her brother has. Oh the scandal, they bathe together...

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

Jessa's gone over to the dark side and is wearing pants in public. I did like her outfit, though! 

One thing that stood out to me, not in a good way, is Spurgie was the only kid with a coat. I've seen this with other kids who are neglected in some ways. They turn this corner from depending on their parents to watch out for them, to watching out for themselves, when they're way too young. 

Like next time they're at the beach, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurgie tucked a towel in his own bag.

I guess its a good thing he's not scrambling to take care of his siblings too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So sad that Henry thinks the difference between boys and girls is "long hair vs short hair" and "hair bow or no hair bow." Jessa then asks Ivy where her hair bow is. Spurge is totally over it. Not even pretending to be excited. Of course they don;t reveal the gender because I guess that has to be a TLC episode.

Jessa looks more slight overall than she does in this weeks episode, Ben and Spurgeon are wearing coats and Ben makes a comment about going inside where it's warm, and it's quite dusky when they are leaving the office.   I think this may have been filmed some time back and strategically released now to spur interest, possibly divert attention from some impending nuptials.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa's gone over to the dark side and is wearing pants in public. I did like her outfit, though! 

One thing that stood out to me, not in a good way, is Spurgie was the only kid with a coat. I've seen this with other kids who are neglected in some ways. They turn this corner from depending on their parents to watch out for them, to watching out for themselves, when they're way too young. 

Like next time they're at the beach, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurgie tucked a towel in his own bag.

I guess its a good thing he's not scrambling to take care of his siblings too.

I completely missed the pants, but I did clock the coat situation.    In this instance I hold Ben responsible for their children going out without coats on.   I say that because it's entirely plausible to me that Jessa's hormones may have her walking around perpetually warm, or she may run a little warm anyway, so she may not have registered chilliness.   Presumably Ben put a coat on his damn self and was visually capable of registering two of his young children were not wearing coats, something I think he absolutely should have done.

For once I'll give Jessa a hormone and pregnancy brain break and say I think Ben needs to check back in and be attentive to these children he's responsible for helping bring into this world.

ETA:   Just realized the pants may have been specific to having an ultrasound done and oddly enough for modesty purposes.    

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 11
49 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Isn't Henry old enough to know the difference between a boy and a girl?

Spurgeon had the same explanation when Jessa was pregnant with Ivy, so I'm pretty sure they don't tell their little ones the difference between boys and girls. Which makes the question stupid because Jessa already knows that Henry has no idea. I'm guessing this is another "I'm holier than everyone else" moment where we're supposed to be impressed that her children are so innocent.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Spurgeon had the same explanation when Jessa was pregnant with Ivy, so I'm pretty sure they don't tell their little ones the difference between boys and girls. Which makes the question stupid because Jessa already knows that Henry has no idea. I'm guessing this is another "I'm holier than everyone else" moment where we're supposed to be impressed that her children are so innocent.

Honestly, I'm horrified, not impressed.  She is sexualizing her kids bodies.  There is nothing wrong with Spurge and/or Henry taking a bath with Ivy.  The boys should know Ivy has different parts.  I took baths with my older brother for years as a kid, my sister has bathed my niece and nephew together for years as well.  She is making what is natural feel dirty.  Later on, boundaries are important, but not with 3 kids under 6.  

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Honestly, I'm horrified, not impressed.  She is sexualizing her kids bodies.  There is nothing wrong with Spurge and/or Henry taking a bath with Ivy.  The boys should know Ivy has different parts.  I took baths with my older brother for years as a kid, my sister has bathed my niece and nephew together for years as well.  She is making what is natural feel dirty.  Later on, boundaries are important, but not with 3 kids under 6.  

Sadder still, where Jessa learned that lesson from.

• Love 1

Bin couldn't have been more disinterested if he tried. 

My heart breaks for Spurge. He's a bright kid and needs to be in school. Ivy and Henry don't provide any stimulation for him.

Jessa looks cute in pants. I guess that's the only nice thing I have to say.

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

I completely missed the pants, but I did clock the coat situation.    In this instance I hold Ben responsible for their children going out without coats on.   I say that because it's entirely plausible to me that Jessa's hormones may have her walking around perpetually warm, or she may run a little warm anyway, so she may not have registered chilliness.   Presumably Ben put a coat on his damn self and was visually capable of registering two of his young children were not wearing coats, something I think he absolutely should have done.

For once I'll give Jessa a hormone and pregnancy brain break and say I think Ben needs to check back in and be attentive to these children he's responsible for helping bring into this world.

ETA:   Just realized the pants may have been specific to having an ultrasound done and oddly enough for modesty purposes.    

Absolutely both parents are responsible for their children's well being. But pregnant moms don't get passes for not caring for their kids.

While the pants could have been worn for modesty purposes, it would be a new thing. Up until a few months ago Jessa has worn skirts/dresses in many/most/almost all situations that warrant pants, including previous scans.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Absolutely both parents are responsible for their children's well being. But pregnant moms don't get passes for not caring for their kids.

While the pants could have been worn for modesty purposes, it would be a new thing. Up until a few months ago Jessa has worn pants in many/most/almost all situations that warrant pants, including previous scans.

Didn't say pregnant moms get passes for not caring for their kids.  That would be absurd.   Merely outlined why in this instance I feel the onus is on Ben to step up and rectify the situation.  

• Love 5

I don't think the pants are for modesty purposes. We've seen others who clearly wore a skirt while getting an ultrasound and still preserved their modesty. I could see how a dress would be more difficult, but I don't think a skirt would be an issue. I think Jessa has simply discovered that there are pants specifically for women, so she's not betraying her gender by wearing pants, and furthermore, she finds them comfortable.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Bin couldn't have been more disinterested if he tried. 

My heart breaks for Spurge. He's a bright kid and needs to be in school. Ivy and Henry don't provide any stimulation for him.

Jessa looks cute in pants. I guess that's the only nice thing I have to say.

It breaks my heart that Spurgeon will never get a real education, because I think that he’s a very bright little guy, who would excel in school.  It’s a damned shame.  I wish I could give Ben and Jessa a piece of my mind. 😡

• Love 15
37 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Didn't say pregnant moms get passes for not caring for their kids.  That would be absurd.   Merely outlined why in this instance I feel the onus is on Ben to step up and rectify the situation.  

I could see that. But in this instance Jessa had plenty of time to think things through as she sat her kids on the couch and grilled them about whether or not this child is going to be born needing bows or not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I could see that. But in this instance Jessa had plenty of time to think things through as she sat her kids on the couch and grilled them about whether or not this child is going to be born needing bows or not.

I specifically said "For Once I'll give Jessa a hormone and pregnancy brain break"  because I do think if it crossed Ben's mind that he was cold enough to need a coat, it should have dawned that perhaps his children would as well, while I think it might not have crossed Jessa's since she didn't feel the need for a coat herself. 

Clearly your mileage varies, I have no problem with that.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I specifically said "For Once I'll give Jessa a hormone and pregnancy brain break"  because I do think if it crossed Ben's mind that he was cold enough to need a coat, it should have dawned that perhaps his children would as well, while I think it might not have crossed Jessa's since she didn't feel the need for a coat herself. 

Clearly your mileage varies, I have no problem with that.  

I'm seem to have offended you. Not my intent. 

• Love 1

FWIW, I think Jessa's having another boy. Neither she nor Bin seemed particularly excited leaving the ultrasound place. I think the vibe would've been a bit happier if they were about to have 2 and 2. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

FWIW, I think Jessa's having another boy. Neither she nor Bin seemed particularly excited leaving the ultrasound place. I think the vibe would've been a bit happier if they were about to have 2 and 2. 

That was my impression as well.

Shouldn't it be God's will?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, AUgirl said:

I saw this elsewhere but it’s funny— Hoping the Seewalds give this baby a “T” name....

Spurgeon

Henry

Ivy

T.....

I'm going to guess Talitha if they have a girl and Thaddaeus if they have a boy.

5 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I'm going to guess Talitha if they have a girl and Thaddaeus if they have a boy.

Tulip or Tessa, Talbert or Tanner.

If its a boy I can see her actually going with Archie.

• Useful 1

There was a Christmas tree in the office where the sonogram was done,  so I'm guessing it was filmed them. And I'm guessing TLC filmed at least part of it because there were times they were all in the shot, that was obviously someone else filming. 

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know.  When she was pregnant with either Spurgeon or Henry, they mentioned how they were wouldn't mind having a bunch of boys. Maybe it's another girl.

• Love 2

I hope when Spurgeon turns 18, he changes his name to Elliot, which should've been his first name to begin with. That kid hasn't stood a chance in life since his dad gave him that shit name.

He looks about over another baby as the older Duggar kids did around the time Michelle announced number 12. Jessa is only on number 4.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, beckie said:

And I'm guessing TLC filmed at least part of it because there were times they were all in the shot, that was obviously someone else filming. 

But would TLC let their footage be used for Jessa's Youtube? I think it's more likely she had a younger sibling with her for filming purposes.

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So sad that Henry thinks the difference between boys and girls is "long hair vs short hair" and "hair bow or no hair bow."

I think it was actually Spurgeon who added the hair bow comment. I wonder how Israel or Sam might answer the same question?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

But would TLC let their footage be used for Jessa's Youtube? I think it's more likely she had a younger sibling with her for filming purposes.

I think it was actually Spurgeon who added the hair bow comment. I wonder how Israel or Sam might answer the same question?

Not having a sister, I suppose those distinctions might more naturally have not come up. But, yeah, with Spurge and Henry having a baby sister, I would think that it would be a sort of organic teaching opportunity. If they don't have any clue at this point, it's because the differences have been carefully hidden from them. Which will only make it way more awkward down the line.

• Love 3
On 3/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, MaryAnneSpier said:

They call them "angel eggs" because calling them "Deviled eggs" is akin to worshipping Satan. It's not because they taste so good. Again, hding their religion one minute and then testifiying the next. 

My husband and I were both raised very Christian and have fallen away since finishing college. But in our upbringing, you're not supposed to eat Devil's Food Cake, or buy a Dirt Devil, or eat Deviled Eggs. You eat chocolate cake, buy other brands of handheld vaccums, and eat stuffed eggs. Oh, and you absolutely do not have any Santa Claus decor in your home for Christmas. There's a whole other list of uptight nonsense like this that I should make up sometime to share. It's both funny and sad that people live with such a big stick up their butt about trivial things like this. 

when i was growing up we had very strict fundie neighbors a couple houses down and one thing I remember is the fundie kids were not allowed to say Santa because their parents taught them that it was just SATAN with the letters jumbled up a different way to make it seem okay.

the rest of us kids would be laughing and all excited about Santa coming and they would look on in horror and tell us we shouldnt say that word because it was Satan sneaking in to our homes and lives.  😈

43 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

when i was growing up we had very strict fundie neighbors a couple houses down and one thing I remember is the fundie kids were not allowed to say Santa because their parents taught them that it was just SATAN with the letters jumbled up a different way to make it seem okay.

the rest of us kids would be laughing and all excited about Santa coming and they would look on in horror and tell us we shouldnt say that word because it was Satan sneaking in to our homes and lives.  😈

What I always understood from my fundie neighbors was that Santa was considered a pagan tradition and therefore not allowed. So were Easter eggs and Christmas trees.

I've hated Topher as a name ever since Topher Grace came on my radar in the early 2000s. Every time I see the name, I do a double-take and wonder why it exists. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I've hated Topher as a name ever since Topher Grace came on my radar in the early 2000s. Every time I see the name, I do a double-take and wonder why it exists. 

I agree. It stands out to me as really stupid. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I agree. It stands out to me as really stupid. 

The pronunciation also confuses me, to be honest. I've never heard it said aloud. I pronounce it as rhyming with gopher. LOL But should it be literally how the last half of Christopher is pronounced? Tuh-fer? I mean, neither one sounds right. There are no good options. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

😁

2 hours ago, Zella said:

The pronunciation also confuses me, to be honest. I've never heard it said aloud. I pronounce it as rhyming with gopher. LOL But should it be literally how the last half of Christopher is pronounced? Tuh-fer? I mean, neither one sounds right. There are no good options. 

It does rhyme with gopher. 

It used to be that if you looked at the birth certificate of someone called by this name, his given name was Christopher. Topher was just a nickname.  Not sure that's still the case universally, though. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3