Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

As I recall, this is exactly what they do. They had a segment where Jana explained it all from the comfort of the team's cabin. I also remember that Jana was a co-team leader and had to share a bed with the other leader. 

Was the other leader Laura?

• Love 3

So I took one for the team and read about JTTH.  Ten minutes and two web pages in, and I still can’t tell you what the hell it is. It sounds exactly like that new age crap where they teach you to “live your best life” at a seminar in a hotel conference room.  The kind where the motivational speaker is standing in front of rays of light on the poster.  

There appears to be team building (deprograaming), focused sessions (indoctrination), and developing a relationship with God.  They did prominently post the prices though.  

https://lifesrealjourney.com/about-the-journey/

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Was the other leader Laura?

It was years ago. The girl hadn't been on the show before, but it could well have been Laura or Tabby Paine. They briefly introduced her, but that was all we saw of her. 

4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So I took one for the team and read about JTTH.  Ten minutes and two web pages in, and I still can’t tell you what the hell it is. It sounds exactly like that new age crap where they teach you to “live your best life” at a seminar in a hotel conference room.  The kind where the motivational speaker is standing in front of rays of light on the poster.  

There appears to be team building (deprograaming), focused sessions (indoctrination), and developing a relationship with God.  They did prominently post the prices though.  

https://lifesrealjourney.com/about-the-journey/

Yeah, I had that problem too when I visited their website, which coincidentally is supposed to be the signs of a cult ("so vague nobody can tell what you believe in", etc.; which generally translates to "we're too afraid to tell you because we know it sounds like a weird turnoff; so we keep it vague on purpose".)

• Love 7

The Duggar's JTTH sounds like a bad push for a timeshare or a MLM company.  They want $375 if you decide (or are forced) to go again.  These idiots won't spend money on healthcare for expecting moms, but they will shill out hundreds to let someone "find themselves".  I can do that at Starbucks with an iPad and get about the same out of it.

While exploring, I did find another Journey.  This one actually sounds interesting.  Good ole Ernesto sounds like fun.  Derick could learn something from him.  He uses musical therapy and something called Trance Dance!  Oh, and by golly, he's actually licensed.  Two thumbs up for Ernesto!!

• Love 4

I love how they will take singles 13-30 and married men/women 25+. I guess singles 25-30 aren't men and women!!! Also, why can't an older single go? You'd think a 60-year-old single person would need to learn contentment more than a 13-year-old. But then again, who understands cults?

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, sixlets said:

While exploring, I did find another Journey.  This one actually sounds interesting.  Good ole Ernesto sounds like fun.  Derick could learn something from him.  He uses musical therapy and something called Trance Dance!  Oh, and by golly, he's actually licensed.  Two thumbs up for Ernesto!!

If only Boob could get mixed up and send one of the kids to Ernesto!!!!  Now, that would make great tv!  Seriously, I want to go with Ernesto.  That sounds awesome!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I love how they will take singles 13-30 and married men/women 25+. I guess singles 25-30 aren't men and women!!! Also, why can't an older single go? You'd think a 60-year-old single person would need to learn contentment more than a 13-year-old. But then again, who understands cults?

I’d presume the reason for sending the 13-30 years olds is so there won’t be any 60 year old single men.  Gotta keep some in the pipeline dontcha know.  I’m sure a 60+ single woman could just wither on the vine beacause menopause. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Normades said:

If only Boob could get mixed up and send one of the kids to Ernesto!!!!  Now, that would make great tv!  Seriously, I want to go with Ernesto.  That sounds awesome!!

It does sound like the basis for some dumb but funny teen comedy movie, doesn't it?  

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Vacantsmile3 said:

So in the video Jessa posted with spurge reciting Peter rabbit it's mentioned that she is using the Charlotte Mason method of home school...any idea what this is?!

Screenshot_20180808-225633.png

https://simplycharlottemason.com/what-is-the-charlotte-mason-method/

The Charlotte Mason method is based on Charlotte’s firm belief that the child is a person and we must educate that whole person, not just his mind. So a Charlotte Mason education is three-pronged: in her words, “Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life.”

• Love 6

Charlotte Mason method is really great when done right. I mean, yes, it’s religious, so if you’re against Christian-based education period, you won’t like it. But the fact that Jessa even has a clue about CM means she is stepping out of the Gothard box. Ambleside Online is a free program that is based on CM methods, and if followed correctly it would meet honors standards for history and literature. No Boxcar Children at age 13 for sure!

• Love 18
15 hours ago, Christina87 said:

It's interesting that both Jill and Jessa are using completely different homeschooling materials and methods than what they used as homeschoolers. I wonder if both Derick and Ben encouraged them to look elsewhere because they can see how deficient their wives' education is.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Nysha said:

It's interesting that both Jill and Jessa are using completely different homeschooling materials and methods than what they used as homeschoolers. I wonder if both Derick and Ben encouraged them to look elsewhere because they can see how deficient their wives' education is.

And, wouldn’t it be even more wonderful if both Jill and Jessa realized on their own that their homeschooling was not very good and sought out other options for their kids? It gives me a little bit of hope that, like most parents, they want better for their own children than they had.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
14 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

I think Jessa might realize it, but Jill wouldn't.  She couldn't figure out how to buy a clue if it was on clearance at Aldi.

I agree. Jessa is obviously much smarter than Jill. You can tell just from their talking heads and social media posts. Also, Jessa knows what side her bread is buttered. I doubt very much that her and Ben love their situation but I think they are well aware that until Ben is done with school more money is better than no money. I secretly hope that once Ben graduates they move away from the compound and release a tell all LOL. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

I can so see this.  I wonder what the Seewalds used for homeschooling?  I also wonder if part of Derick's downward spiral is because he has to be muttering under his breath like 10 times a day, "how much of a moron are you? geesh!"  But then I think, nope, he's just an asshat.

5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

And, wouldn’t it be even more wonderful if both Jill and Jessa realized on their own that their homeschooling was not very good and sought out other options for their kids? It gives me a little bit of hope that, like most parents, they want better for their own children than they had.

I would hope that with them joining social media and experiencing more things that they might begin to see that their education was a bit lacking.  My concern is as the kids progress, at what point will Jill and Jessa be out of their depths and knowledge in trying to teach the kids?  In fact I just had a friend talk to me about this last night.  She left an abusive home at 14 and only got as far as 9th grade.  Her son was super smart and graduated public high school 2 years early.  She said she felt like such a failure as a mom when he hit about 7th or 8th grade and she couldn't make heads or tails out of his homework because he was already in advanced classes that she had never had.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I suspect that Ben was educated with Charlotte Mason. His base seemed to be much more well-rounded than any Duggar. I'm sure Jessa will co-op as well when the time comes. 

• Love 4

Jessa will co-op because she loves foisting her responsibilities on others.  I know she comes across as caring and very involved in SM. I’d come across the same with two toddlers, if I had my sisters doing the heavy lifting for me. Jessa learned from the best.

• Love 15

I have very little use for "Blessa" on many levels, but she does seem to genuinely enjoy and relate to her kids and isn't the emotionally distant "Mother of the Year"/Gothard automaton her own mother is and that Dr. Jill Medicine Thingies is emulating. And considering her how Jessa was raised,, that is really rather remarkable. Spurgeon and Henry seem confident and happy (especially compared to (IMO) tentative, waiting-for-correction Izzy).

• Love 23
10 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

I have very little use for "Blessa" on many levels, but she does seem to genuinely enjoy and relate to her kids and isn't the emotionally distant "Mother of the Year"/Gothard automaton her own mother is and that Dr. Jill Medicine Thingies is emulating. And considering her how Jessa was raised,, that is really rather remarkable. Spurgeon and Henry seem confident and happy (especially compared to (IMO) tentative, waiting-for-correction Izzy).

Ben seems to have been raised in a loving home so that helps. Also, it's entirely possible that she might consciously talk up how great her parents are, but subconsciously she's trying to give her kiddos a better life,

• Love 20
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Ben's sister Jessica is amazing.  I could not have done this, I don't think.

I saw a show, think it was about the training for prison guards. Every candidate or new officer had to be tasered to see what it felt like. Go Jessica.

• Love 11
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So all the older girls went to JTTH and yet no one can cook a decent meal or keep a tidy home? What the hell are they teaching them besides that goosey-eyed look they have for their headships?

Isn't that Jana's job?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Ben's sister Jessica is amazing.  I could not have done this, I don't think.

Not taking anything from Jessica, but there's no way she got the full wattage.  The two men were barely holding her upright, and she didn't react typically.  Usually people look like they're having a grand mal seizure.

I don't like to see anyone being hurt unnecessarily, but I definitely believe these people should experience the effect, and at the proper wattage, before they're given the right to tase at will.

• Love 11
On 8/10/2018 at 8:23 PM, Libby96 said:

Good for Jessa for choosing a quality program for her children, but why are Jill and Jessa "homeschooling" when their kids are barely three (is Spurgie even 3 yet)?  Why can't you just read to your kid, converse with them, have some quality toys around, let them color and draw, maybe practice letters and wordplay if they are interested?  Kids that age learn by playing and doing.  A lot of formal instruction is not needed.  In fact, it can be counterproductive.

I think that is what they are doing.  The Peter Rabbit narration or whatever Spurgie is doing (didn't see the clip yet) is exactly the method.  Lots of reading, playing, nature. 

Ya know, when your kids are little, it's so exciting to start homeschool or school pre-k .   Once you get older, you realize it was kinda silly. :)  They are so little but when your oldest is 3, you're so jacked up to start doing "big kid" things!    Looking back?  How funny was I making educational plans for my 2 year old!!!  

Anything that Jessa is doing, whether she is over enthusiastic at his young age or not, is better than the nonsense Michelle did and continues to do.

Edited by Marigold
your and you're are different!
  • Love 21