Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Jessa is so much more media-savvy than clueless Jill.  My city has no Whole Foods, but I'm sure Jessa's heard that's where the celebs shop.

Calculating is right.  "Lookie lookie, I'm such a healthy eater."  Hopefully Jessa has a clue about nutrition.  Jill doesn't.

FWIW, Jill has posted about shopping at Whole Foods too. I think buying organic is a trendy fundie thing these days, so the WFM thing makes sense.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, graefin said:

FWIW, Jill has posted about shopping at Whole Foods too. I think buying organic is a trendy fundie thing these days, so the WFM thing makes sense.

Ah, I didn't know that.  I do wonder if one has to spend more at WF overall than at another store chain, for equivalent organic food.  I've never been to one.  I'm a self-proclaimed coupon queen bargain shopper, but I learned to eat healthy stuff at Weight Watchers.

Funny to think of fundies being in any way trendy.  I mean, with their patriarchal beliefs and all.  Like their dress code.

• Love 4

I swear we all think alike because my first thought was "Bitch, please. You know you only posted that to show off that you shop at Whole Foods." Pretty pricey stuff for a family of four where neither adult has a real job...

FWIW, I like the prepared foods section at WF, but I've never found their produce to be above and beyond what you'd find at a regular grocery store. 

• Love 22
(edited)

We have a trendy grocery store that has tons of organic products, a huge selection of dried fruits, nuts, coffee, make your own nut butters, interesting meats (Elk anyone?) and some really neat things I can't find elsewhere. I love going in there and looking around but their prices are so high. The same can of Amy's organic soup is nearly a dollar more that it is at the regular grocery store. I have bought a few products there because they do have an occasional good sale and again, I can find some things I can't get elsewhere, but on the whole, I rarely shop there. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Totally agree. And Duggar children played in Aldi bags. 

Well except that Aldi does not supply bags, but, maybe big flour or rice sacks?  Oh wait, what was I thinking, that would require preparation - maybe big boxes from Sam's?

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well except that Aldi does not supply bags, but, maybe big flour or rice sacks?  Oh wait, what was I thinking, that would require preparation - maybe big boxes from Sam's?

Aldi sells bags. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Except the Duggars were never shown buying food in big or bulk sizes. Instead, they bought pallets of tiny cans of soup, cases of prepared, frozen individual burritos, small packs of pre-grated cheese, tiny packs of individual instant oatmeal, etc!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Ah, I didn't know that.  I do wonder if one has to spend more at WF overall than at another store chain, for equivalent organic food.  I've never been to one.  I'm a self-proclaimed coupon queen bargain shopper, but I learned to eat healthy stuff at Weight Watchers.

Funny to think of fundies being in any way trendy.  I mean, with their patriarchal beliefs and all.  Like their dress code.

I think it depends on what you're buying. There are certain niche products that are hard to find anywhere else than at WFM, so if you're looking for those, you're kinda stuck. I don't think the Duggars are in that demographic, though. Their prices on some things on sale are decent, like organic kale, and I've never been able to find dandelion greens (organic or not) anywhere else, and I live in a big city. But all things considered, I prefer Trader Joe's.

I do think they try to follow certain trends, like using Berkey water filters, or in terms of fashion, wearing Birkenstocks. But the latter might simply be their emulating fundie TV queen Joanna Gaines rather than any true general trend following :P

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I swear we all think alike because my first thought was "Bitch, please. You know you only posted that to show off that you shop at Whole Foods." Pretty pricey stuff for a family of four where neither adult has a real job...

FWIW, I like the prepared foods section at WF, but I've never found their produce to be above and beyond what you'd find at a regular grocery store. 

Good to know.  My home-town market has local produce, and I like to buy local, not only for the cost, but it has to be fresher than produce that spends days being shipped around.  I also love the Farmer's Market availability here.

• Love 5

The 2 Aldi's here on Long Island sell bags.  Don't shop there often, but if my memory serves me correctly, the paper bags were 7 cents each and the plastic ones with handles are 10 cents each.  Also, the county the 2 stores are located in require you to bring your own bags or pay for the plastic ones.

1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Does she thank Michelle in every post? Michelle wouldn't care if there were five children in the grocery bag as long as she was breeding for Jesus.

Jessa probably has to thank Michelle in every post if she wants to keep her paycheck from KJB.

• Love 12

I'm surprised it didn't go more like, "Watching my boys play in the paper bags from the expensive, trendy grocery store, I'm amazed looking back that none of us suffocated to death in those cheap plastic bags the stores used to use."

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I have had the canvas Aldi bags for years. I prefer them because I can throw them in the wash. 

I didn't know you could toss the bags in the wash!  That is awesome.  I'm always worried about the meat germs transferring.  

Oh and not to get too off topic- Boob and MEchelle would never save any bags.  They buy the big boxes of super salt soup mixes that already have boxes. 

• Love 4

In CA we have to pay 10 cents for every bag at all grocery and drug stores now. So we carry them around in our cars to prevent buying more bags every single time.  Except I forget to bring the bags in with me and end up buying more ??‍♀️

• Love 18
13 hours ago, Farmfam said:

My Aldi doesn’t supply bags...does your provide for a fee? Sometimes I want to stop and I don’t have my bags!!

Brown bags sell for I think 5-10 cents, not sure how much the plastic are. 

11 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

In CA we have to pay 10 cents for every bag at all grocery and drug stores now. So we carry them around in our cars to prevent buying more bags every single time.  Except I forget to bring the bags in with me and end up buying more ??‍♀️

Same. Usually I don’t buy more bags, I bag my groceries once I get to the car. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I absolutely refuse to pay for bags anywhere.  10 cents for a flimsy plastic bag is just wrong.  My grocery boxes go with me everywhere, including Target, Costco, the pharmacy, Lowes, and of course, the grocery store.  I use collapsible tote boxes which are very sturdy, fold easily and are so convenient to handle.  The checkout clerks and baggers LOVE them.

• Love 5

I actually prefer to bag my own groceries. I do a better job than most of the kids who do the bagging. Nothing like a bottle of pop in with your bread! The worse is when I buy fresh salsa at the deli. They always just throw the container in and I end up with tomato juice leaking into my bag. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I actually prefer to bag my own groceries. I do a better job than most of the kids who do the bagging. Nothing like a bottle of pop in with your bread! The worse is when I buy fresh salsa at the deli. They always just throw the container in and I end up with tomato juice leaking into my bag. 

I do as well.  It saves time as well.  Most grocery clerks scan everything first and then start bagging.  So I just bag as the items as they come down the belt.

With the exception being the folks at Trader Joes, who bag items as they are scanned.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

I do as well.  It saves time as well.  Most grocery clerks scan everything first and then start bagging.  So I just bag as the items as they come down the belt.

With the exception being the folks at Trader Joes, who bag items as they are scanned.

The chain grocery store I go to used to have this elderly Italian gentleman who bagged. He was fantastic. He would keep cold with cold, make sure things were tossed in willy nilly. He has since retired and I miss him. I used to specifically pick a line he was bagging in because I knew he was so good. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Oh hi are you me?

We've had to pay for grocery bags for as long as I can remember but they've upped the ante now for environmental reasons so now all shops charge for bags and the price has doubled. I mean, it's a good thing really; plastic is causing so much damage to the oceans, but I always forget to bring my own bag and end up having to pay for a new one.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

jessa sure talks about her amazing childhood, parents etc.

Maybe Jessa has been on a few snark boards and knows their reputation? 

Oh, 100% girlfriend read boards about herself and her family :) I think there's a chance Jill has in the past, and I could believe the others don't at all.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2018 at 3:16 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Disclaimer- I’m a vegetarian who only drinks water, coffee and tea, but I shop at Whole Foods regularly and don’t find it to be THAT expensive. (I’m in Chicago) Somethings yes are a mark up (I’d never get aluminum foil there for example), but a family such as Jessa’s (only two adults and small kids) could shop there regularly and not spend a fortune. But I acknowledge that as a vegetarian my grocery bills are usually always less regardless (I love the suggestion to “eat meatless meals” to save money?). 

3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I absolutely refuse to pay for bags anywhere.  10 cents for a flimsy plastic bag is just wrong.  My grocery boxes go with me everywhere, including Target, Costco, the pharmacy, Lowes, and of course, the grocery store.  I use collapsible tote boxes which are very sturdy, fold easily and are so convenient to handle.  The checkout clerks and baggers LOVE them.

I never for get my bags either! And I always keep one in my purse for impromptu trips. Plus the paper bags are just so flimsy they rip and that just frustrates me. 

PS I think toddlers are like cats because they love boxes and bags?. 

• Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

LOL...whenever I hear about kids and Vaseline it takes me back to my early years (and I know I've mentioned this before but we have a lot more new members since then)...When I was about five, I was sleeping over at my friend's house next door, and we woke up early, looking for things to do. Since she had a baby sister in the same bedroom, there was a lot of baby paraphernalia in there, and we discovered that Vaseline made things all shiny! So we slathered Vaseline on pretty much every available surface, thinking we were going to make her mom very happy about how shiny everything was. It didn't quite go over the way we thought!

I was an only child so I framed the dog.   It usually didn't work, but one time I was teasing her with my mom's red lipstick, then ran to my mom to show what Gidget did.  Lol.  I turned out to be an animal fanatic and my dog was never punished for the lipstick.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I was an only child so I framed the dog.   It usually didn't work, but one time I was teasing her with my mom's red lipstick, then ran to my mom to show what Gidget did.  Lol.  I turned out to be an animal fanatic and my dog was never punished for the lipstick.  

We only had a cat. It's even harder to frame a cat! I will admit that I had a bit of what, in retrospect seems like a horrible streak, though. Heck, if one of the Duggars did it, there would be pages of vitriol, but sometimes kids just don't think...As an only child (and an extremely shy one!) myself, I played a lot of solitary "pretend" games and remember, when I was maybe 7 or so, watching the old "Tarzan" TV show (with Ron Ely...one of my very first crushes), and wanting to be Tarzan as well. But I needed wild animals to tame and we didn't have any. So I'd have to antagonize the cat until she started biting and scratching, then placate her again. Mea Culpa. I look back at that sometimes and feel terrible about it!

• Love 2
On 6/18/2018 at 6:38 PM, farmgal4 said:

Ben’s haircut is called a Fade.  Very much “in” right now.  Yay, Ben.

Currently at an out of town soccer tournament with DS and his teammates. 15 of 15 have some version of this.   A few of them got theirs freshened up, just in case they run into some ladies. ?.  The whole flock of them are at the pool. 

• Love 13
On 6/20/2018 at 8:03 PM, tabloidlover said:

Story of my life. We have an SUV with a nice stack of bags that I SOMETIMES remember.

• Love 6
On June 22, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

We only had a cat. It's even harder to frame a cat! I will admit that I had a bit of what, in retrospect seems like a horrible streak, though. Heck, if one of the Duggars did it, there would be pages of vitriol, but sometimes kids just don't think...As an only child (and an extremely shy one!) myself, I played a lot of solitary "pretend" games and remember, when I was maybe 7 or so, watching the old "Tarzan" TV show (with Ron Ely...one of my very first crushes), and wanting to be Tarzan as well. But I needed wild animals to tame and we didn't have any. So I'd have to antagonize the cat until she started biting and scratching, then placate her again. Mea Culpa. I look back at that sometimes and feel terrible about it!

I dressed my other dog in all sorts of clothes.  Although he was a boy, he once posed in full Nurse Halloween costume regalia.  He looked like Florence Nightingale. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I dressed my other dog in all sorts of clothes.  Although he was a boy, he once posed in full Nurse Halloween costume regalia.  He looked like Florence Nightingale. 

I had a cat as a kid that was feral and could never be tamed but he came in the house to eat etc (he was shy not mean).  If he was sleeping you could do ANYTHING to him but when he was awake you could only pet him with your feet and not if you made eye contact but he was a sweet boy (Gumbi, nicknamed Gummy).  My mom's great aunt had handmade beautiful clothes for my moms doll when she was little (1940's).  One day I had Gummy in my lap asleep and I was able to put him in every outfit, hats/boots and all and get picks of each and every outfit.  I have no idea how he slept through it because it was a project!  If I tried this with Pippi I would not live to tell the tale.  She has attitude (or tortitude!).  

Kinda on topic, I occasionally shop at Whole Foods because it is really close to my house.  I didn't notice the fruit I got being any more expensive than Von's or Trader Joes.  It is a lot cheaper at Grocery Outlet.  I could see the Seewalds being able to buy some things there but its not a stock up kind of place (or Gelson's, ever notice their carts are SMALL???).  I wonder what they eat on the regular?  We know what the Dillards eat but besides eggs, what do the Seewalds eat?  If talking about Josh, what DOESN'T he eat?

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I had a cat as a kid that was feral and could never be tamed but he came in the house to eat etc (he was shy not mean).  If he was sleeping you could do ANYTHING to him but when he was awake you could only pet him with your feet and not if you made eye contact but he was a sweet boy (Gumbi, nicknamed Gummy).  My mom's great aunt had handmade beautiful clothes for my moms doll when she was little (1940's).  One day I had Gummy in my lap asleep and I was able to put him in every outfit, hats/boots and all and get picks of each and every outfit.  I have no idea how he slept through it because it was a project!  If I tried this with Pippi I would not live to tell the tale.  She has attitude (or tortitude!).  

Kinda on topic, I occasionally shop at Whole Foods because it is really close to my house.  I didn't notice the fruit I got being any more expensive than Von's or Trader Joes.  It is a lot cheaper at Grocery Outlet.  I could see the Seewalds being able to buy some things there but its not a stock up kind of place (or Gelson's, ever notice their carts are SMALL???).  I wonder what they eat on the regular?  We know what the Dillards eat but besides eggs, what do the Seewalds eat?  If talking about Josh, what DOESN'T he eat?

Hilarious!

What in the world is a Gelson"s?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I had a cat as a kid that was feral and could never be tamed but he came in the house to eat etc (he was shy not mean).

No one (even ferals) is "mean"; just misunderstood :)

I think Jessa has said that they usually eat at her family's house. I agree that they are probably not buying all or most of their groceries at WFM. I think probably only an elite few do that.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Hilarious!

What in the world is a Gelson"s?

Gelsons is a fancy-ish grocery similar to Whole Foods but better.  I love to just peruse the aisles to see what fancy stuff they have.  They have a great deli, a sushi maker (like WF) but their fresh and frozen sections have cool things that you can't find at other stores.  I like that their produce people are always asking if you want to try something you have never had before.  They had cotton candy grapes which I had never heard of before so I tried them and found out I do NOT need to purchase them.  I have to say I am pretty lucky that I have a Von's, WF, Grocery Outlet, Gelson's, Trader Joes, and a Smart & Final all within walking distance.  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, graefin said:

I think Jessa has said that they usually eat at her family's house. I agree that they are probably not buying all or most of their groceries at WFM. I think probably only an elite few do that.

True!  He was born at a lumber yard and who knows what happened to him there.  Very shy but when he was asleep the loviest little fella!  I miss ol Gummy.

That makes sense.  I laugh when I go to WF.  It is a certain set.  They all seem to drive a Prius.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 19/06/2018 at 7:38 AM, farmgal4 said:

Ben’s haircut is called a Fade.  Very much “in” right now.  Yay, Ben.

It is such a hideous haircut. 

It also requires a lot of maintenance. Like fortnightly touch ups. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

True!  He was born at a lumber yard and who knows what happened to him there.  Very shy but when he was asleep the loviest little fella!  I miss ol Gummy.

That makes sense.  I laugh when I go to WF.  It is a certain set.  They all seem to drive a Prius.

Have you heard of Grandpa Mason and his kittens? They're on FB and you should check him out because he's pretty cool :)

I was in awe the first time I stepped foot in a Whole Foods about 20 years ago. Now there are so many other stores where you can buy what they sell.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

It is such a hideous haircut. 

It also requires a lot of maintenance. Like fortnightly touch ups. 

Still not as bad as the Mullet or the hideous Rat Tail.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, graefin said:

Have you heard of Grandpa Mason and his kittens? They're on FB and you should check him out because he's pretty cool :)

I was in awe the first time I stepped foot in a Whole Foods about 20 years ago. Now there are so many other stores where you can buy what they sell.

I will check them out.  Never heard of them!!!

True dat!

Just now, farmgal4 said:

Still not as bad as the Mullet or the hideous Rat Tail.

Yeah, but they’re not quite as everywhere as the fade. 

Fade with the shaven part is most hideous. 

On 23/06/2018 at 9:23 AM, Catfin said:

Currently at an out of town soccer tournament with DS and his teammates. 15 of 15 have some version of this.   A few of them got theirs freshened up, just in case they run into some ladies. ?.  The whole flock of them are at the pool. 

You should be very concerned. Fade haircuts are the gateway to tattoo sleeves. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, graefin said:

The only thing they seem to eat at their own house is eggs and yogurt.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, louannems said:

The only thing they seem to eat at their own house is eggs and yogurt.

And the roast that one time.  You would think with Jessa having learned to be a bit savvy with her IG posts and looking at Jilly Bean posting those horrific recipes, she'd come up with the idea of - Ok, this is a casserole we had growing up and now after doing some research, and looking at some cookbooks, this is what I'm going to try and make as a healthier version of my beloved childhood dish for my kids.  Leghumpers would eat that up and she could probably get more airtime on the show.  

• Love 7

I think Jessa has learned her lesson about posting recipes ever since she posted that video of her making that gross ground beef and potato casserole. Jill needs to learn from Jessa and just stop.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Jill needs to learn from Jessa and just stop.

But Jessa's still on the show which TLC promotes, however slightly. She'll be back on somewhere near a million (give or take a few thousand) TVs each night when the next season airs.

All Jill has going for her now to stay in the public eye, is social media. As long as she's not posting fatally poisonous concoctions, it probably doesn't matter how dreadful her recipes are. Likewise with her #worthit and #besthusbandever and other posts, plus the videos of her kids. The leghumpers will keep fawning and even the negative responses will keep her name in play. 

• Love 2