Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

ShellSeeker

55 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Prior to her saying it was early to tell people, what was telegraphed about her miscarrying?

To me, the manner in which Bonnie brought it up in the first place immediately gave me the idea that's where they were going. I believe Bonnie also noted it was two months at that point. IE before they said outloud "this is earlier than you're supposed to tell people" we knew both that she'd told Bonnie et al, and that it was earlier than one is generally recommended to do so. Hence, to me watching a television show, the least surprising place they could go with those two details=miscarriage.

• Love 2

This show prides itself in going a bit dark sometimes.

The tip-off was also how far along Joy was with the planning.  A completely done nursery and her referring to the baby as a girl (isn't 50+ days too early to know?) - gave me the "this isn't going to end well" vibe.  Plus, I couldn't really see the sitcom bringing in a baby for Joy.  Of course, nanny probably would've been taking care of the kid all of the time...  

They barely use Roscoe, so are we going to see young foster kids for Joy now?  Or maybe they'll go troubled teen route that might hang out with the group more.  Don't really see Christy's older kid much either, so it'll be interesting to see what they do here now.

Edited by indeed

Why are Christy and Bonnie sleeping in the same bed when Roscoe is not staying with them? Why isn't Christy sleeping in Roscoe's room?

Violet isn't living there either. There are two empty bedrooms - although apparently Roscoe's room is more of walk-in closet, whereas Violet's room is an actual second bedroom upstairs. No need to keep it waiting for her, she's not moving back home.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Why are Christy and Bonnie sleeping in the same bed when Roscoe is not staying with them? Why isn't Christy sleeping in Roscoe's room?

Violet isn't living there either. There are two empty bedrooms - although apparently Roscoe's room is more of walk-in closet, whereas Violet's room is an actual second bedroom upstairs. No need to keep it waiting for her, she's not moving back home.

No, I think that was the old apartment. By the time they found this place (where Bonnie is the Super), Violet was engaged and living with the old guy so they only got a two bedroom. No third. When Sick-Violet came home for a while a few episodes ago, she slept in that room till Roscoe came home, then she slept on the pull-out sofa bed.

• Love 1

They did a story about an overdose, I wasn't surprised they did one about a miscarriage. They also killed off Bonnie's lover/Christy's dad right after having them all reconcile. This show is way past keeping it light.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

No, I think that was the old apartment. By the time they found this place (where Bonnie is the Super), Violet was engaged and living with the old guy so they only got a two bedroom. No third. When Sick-Violet came home for a while a few episodes ago, she slept in that room till Roscoe came home, then she slept on the pull-out sofa bed.

The way I remember it, Violet still lived with Bonnie and Christy when they moved into the current apartment. Bonnie took the master bedroom upstairs, Violet took the second bedroom downstairs, Roscoe slept in a closet, and Christy first slept on the sofa-bed and then joined Bonnie in the master. When Violet moved out Roscoe took the second bedroom, but since he lives with Baxter at least half the time now, the room is not being used much. Someone upthread says that Bonnie and Adam use the downstairs bedroom when he stays over, which makes sense because he's not able to walk up the stairs. But when it's just Bonnie and Christy in the apartment, there's no reason why they would have to sleep in the same room.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It was always only a two-bedroom. When they first moved in the second bedroom, which I'm pretty sure is somehow downstairs behind the living room, was Violet's and Roscoe's "room" was, as you mention, a closet. Then she moved in with the boyfriend and he got the second bedroom, and that has been "Roscoe's room" ever since. So when we see a set the set of Roscoe's room now, like when Bonnie was in there because Adam stayed over, that's the same room that was Violet's. It's not waiting for her. Roscoe's room, except when Bonnie and Adam sometimes use it, is waiting for him as "his" so when he's not at his father's he does have his own room to come home to.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

Even if they want to sleep in one bedroom, can't they have two twin beds? Who's comfortable sleeping in a double bed with their mom or daughter? Yuck.

I wouldn't even be able to sleep in the same room as my mom because she snores and I'm a light sleeper. I would take a sofa-bed over sharing a room with my mom any day.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Big Mother said:

Even if they want to sleep in one bedroom, can't they have two twin beds? Who's comfortable sleeping in a double bed with their mom or daughter? Yuck.

I would want my own room, so I wouldn't be comfortable with the set-up, period, but sharing a bed with my mom wouldn't per se bother me.  We've done it while visiting relatives.  I don't want to routinely share a bed with anyone (other than my cat).  But if I had to, my mom is pretty far down the list of "Oh, please, no" people, and certainly not inherently uncomfortable or yucky; it's my mom.  And I can't imagine sleeping in a twin bed regularly, either; I went from my crib to (my own) double bed, and I've rarely slept in a twin elsewhere, but when I did, I hated it.  I also hate sharing a bed, so which is worse -- having my own twin but sharing a room, or having a larger bed (is theirs really a double and not a queen?) but still sharing a room?  I'd hate both, because, good lord, my own space and privacy, please.

But how much I'd hate sharing a bed/room with someone would depend on how they slept, not who they were to me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

We grew up very poor and I didn't even have a bed to myself until I was like 10 or 11, and a room to myself until I was 17.

I slept with my mom, and sometimes my grandma till then, and when I was like 7 or 8 and younger, with my little brother.  All 4 of us kids slept in one room till I started growing boobs then I slept with mom till I got my own bed (in the same room). It's something you just get used to.  Seeing Bonnie and her mom share a bed and a room didn't even register on my radar.

I thought this week's episode was boring. Weirdly boring. Aren't those 2 married in real life? Yeah, just checked. They are. Didn't like it. It seems this show works best with the ensemble cast and very few outside influences.

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 3

I know shows like to use a famous spouse in shows to bring in extra viewers. I know Friends did it with Brad Pitt. I'm sure a few others that I can't recall right now.

I just think it's lazy and trying too hard to be too "cute". Like we're supposed to be extra delighted cause "omg, they are really married so this is super adorable!"  Yeah. No. 

Agree. Episode was average. 

I have some residual like for Chris Pratt but that's only from Parks & Rec, not any of his movies. 

Jill seems ok after last week's episode. How long ago was that supposed to have been?

• Love 2

I had a mixed opinion of this episode- on one hand, I was glad to have another non-Adam centric episode because he is really starting to bug. I was also happy to finally have Christy get some because she deserves it. But, all in all it was a weak episode. 

I honestly think Marjorie was one of the best parts of this episode which isn't saying much. 

This season is very disjointed thus far - there are some good episodes but for the most part, it's pretty weak. 

• Love 2

I have never seen Chris Pratt in anything. Apparently he's been in a bunch of movies I have never seen. He is one of those movie stars whose name I hear all the time but can't place him because I've never seen him in anything. Also apparently he is hot, according to what I keep hearing. I had no idea he was married to Anna Faris - or, if I did, I had forgotten it until someone mentioned it upthread. 

I thought he was really pretty funny in this. I especially liked the very end where Christy was trying to break up with him and he said "You're so silly." He's good at comedy. I was impressed overall.

The only part I had an issue with is that he was able to seem so "normal" up until after they slept together. She spent an entire afternoon with him learning to ride and never realized he was off his rocker? 

• Love 4

The show will never let Christy have a relationship with long-term potential, will they? It always has to be her married boss, her son's stepmother's dad, or someone who's "unwell".

As cute as the Pratt cameo was (and I do think those two are an adorable couple in real life), the "Christy always picks the wrong men" trope is getting old.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The only part I had an issue with is that he was able to seem so "normal" up until after they slept together. She spent an entire afternoon with him learning to ride and never realized he was off his rocker? 

I think that's what they were going for with the whole "the horses calm him" thing. I'm not saying it was especially well-executed but if the point was he is actually professional and focused enough on/with the horses, then it made sense that while they were still just in lesson-mode, he was doing just that and there sort of wasn't the opportunity for anything else to be obvious. Or he has a pattern of getting obsessively attached to someone so before that moment there was distance. I mean, a two minute conversation in a barn and a test-ride easily could've only been them interacting for 20-30 minutes. So it's not super unreasonable to me that she needed to spend more time with him for it to become clear something was off. 

This show usually doesn't make me literally laugh out loud, but I guffawed several times.  There is nothing that makes me laugh more than men singing "Lady"!  Worked in  Freaks & Geeks, worked in Mom.  Chris Pratt is just too adorable.  I fluv him!  And I am a complete sucker for streams of bad puns.  No, I'm not proud.  Bonnie just cracks me up, especially when she's battling with Marjorie.

• Love 2

I like Chris Pratt remembering him back from his Everwood days - he was great there. He had an easy chemistry here with Anna Faris, it's not always a given with married couples. At least Christy managed to put an end to her drought before things went south. Unfortunately the 'Christy picks the wrong guys' trope won't go away because if she breaks the pattern the show's basic set-up would be kaputt.

That's what made this episode problematic for me - its reliance on the laws of sitcom. It was clear Nick wasn't Mr Right from the get-go (even disregarding Pratt's real life status as movie star who won't get booked as a regular) and the whole plot hinged on that old trope of one character not being honest about a problem - looking at you Marjorie. Yes, saying 'He's as crazy as he's handsome' would have been the right thing to do considering that his behavior started to get stalkerish. Ah well, at least Bonnie had fun with all the equine jokes (and btw. that was not hay but straw).

Nick was creepy after he and Christy slept together, but . . . I don't know.  I still kinda like the character.  I could get into him and Christy as a couple at least for the short-term.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, Big Mother said:

Before she won BB11 and got enough money to buy her mother and brother their own house, Jordan Lloyd slept with her mother, as well.  I remember she'd mention on that season's live feeds that they shared a bed.  Oftentimes, they'd lace their legs together.  Oddly, what should've sounded disturbing ended up sounding kind of cute to me.

• Love 2

I think that's what they were going for with the whole "the horses calm him" thing. I'm not saying it was especially well-executed but if the point was he is actually professional and focused enough on/with the horses, then it made sense that while they were still just in lesson-mode, he was doing just that and there sort of wasn't the opportunity for anything else to be obvious. Or he has a pattern of getting obsessively attached to someone so before that moment there was distance. I mean, a two minute conversation in a barn and a test-ride easily could've only been them interacting for 20-30 minutes. So it's not super unreasonable to me that she needed to spend more time with him for it to become clear something was off. 

I know it's just a sitcom but in real life someone who's that batshit crazy wouldn't be able to pull off "normal" for any noticeable amount of time. Marjorie did say he'd spent most of his life in an institution - that's how bad he was. The idea that he could just walk around acting perfectly normal until he fell for someone isn't realistic. But again - sitcom, I get it. Not real life.

• Love 3

From someone who is doing her Doctoral Dissertation (Lord, help me) on "crazy people," There's usually a trigger. They're fine, taking their meds (or not), going to work, living life, making the therapists proud, until the trigger. 

Maybe he's fine (and the horses keep him calm, level) until there's to a girl he's attracted to? Once he sees her that's the trigger and off we go into the wild blue yonder. Except this time the girl actually boned him. Repeatedly. He had reason to believe...and Trigger. And he did what he usually does when there's a trigger. Notice the way he rejected her breakups? For him, that was just her being flirty and cute, not serious.

That part started to really bother me (a little too...real...) until Christy jumped him...aaaannnd we're back...in real life a guy chuckling and calling you cute when you're trying to break up with him would scare the living daylights out of you.

• Love 1

Chris Pratt looks like a total sweetheart.  Every interview I've seen, he just comes across as a big teddybear and I had no idea he was showing up so I thought he was cute here and that it worked.  

Funniest scene was in the restaurant when he reached out to help her butter her bread.  Anna's reaction made me think that was an ad lib and they kept it.  

• Love 3
On 1/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, wendyg said:

I was bothered that Christy referenced Margery's AA membership without checking first that the nephew knew.

Perhaps he knew because of Margery's having to make amends as part of steps 8 & 9 of the 12 steps:

8. Made a list of persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

22 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Perhaps he knew because of Margery's having to make amends as part of steps 8 & 9 of the 12 steps:

But with Christy not knowing for sure if Nick was aware of his aunt being in AA, she shouldn't have said anything about it in front of him.

Or maybe Marjorie simply told him to find her at the restaurant after her AA meeting (if that was the case) to return the storage locker key or that she was meeting her AA friends.  Marjorie doesn't strike me as someone who would keep her AA membership a secret from her nephew (or anyone else for that matter).  But yes, maybe Christy shouldn't have assumed he knew and that it was OK to say.

On 23/01/2017 at 11:57 PM, Perkie said:

Chris Pratt looks like a total sweetheart.  Every interview I've seen, he just comes across as a big teddybear and I had no idea he was showing up so I thought he was cute here and that it worked.  

Both of them seem really lovely. They were in an old episode of Top Chef, when he was "just" Andy from Parks & Rec with all his baby fat and Anna was the most famous of them and they were really funny and in love. It was super cute.
giphy.gif

Ok, Bonnie. It's time to pull the plug on Adam. Thanks but no thanks. We've been saying this was bound to happen if she continued dating him and at least it was "just" pot. I appreciate that Marjorie was able to help them recognize that this was an unintentional slip-up and not a sobriety fail. Adam hiding your pot cookies is not good enough. Boy bye. 

They were all hilarious though when they were high. I especially LOL'd when Jill was cracking up that they got high AT their AA meeting! That's next level. Good use of the the cast. 

• Love 5

I thought the pot was going to be the thing to either end or progress the relationship.  Yeah it's one thing to know your partner drinks and occasionally smokes a little dope but when it starts to become an issue like it's becoming it's time to cut and run.

Still funny episode.  The skipping and the riding on the toy horses.   That was fun.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2017 at 0:21 PM, hnygrl said:

Oh you know how it's gonna be. I could write the stuff myself. She'll break up with him completely because reasons...and go to a meeting as per usual, blah blah blah anybody else wanna share? In rolls Adam...gasp mumbles from the audience..."I'm Adam, and I'm an alcoholic...." Fade to black. They're making him a series regular so he's got to stop drinking/using.

I think they made him a series regular because this is an actor who gets work and they had a story arc they wanted to tell with this character.  It was a way to secure his availability.  And when the arc ends, his series regular gig will end.  And I think it probably will at the end of this season.

And I like the story.  I like that it wasn't told in one episode where Bonnie realized she couldn't be around a guy who gets wasted. The underlying tension is there but it's subtle.  We as the audience can see it but it's also believable that it won't stand out to the characters who aren't looking at things from the outside.  Instead it's manifesting itself as him needing to get high to have sex or as sober people hanging out with his ridiculously drunk friends or him being hung over or him having things around his house that accidentally put her sobriety at risk like in tonight's episode. It's not the drinking exactly but the lifestyle.

I think his drinking will lead to the end of them. And I think there will be some kind of twist like he won't go to AA, or will go but give it up, or he will realize he has a problem, he'll work the program and then realize that a sober relationship with Bonnie doesn't work.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Oy.

I didn't like that. I didn't like that at all. Not. At. All. How can she not be upset with him? Man, I can't even find the words to express how much that bothered me.

That episode bothered me.

They'd better address this soon. It's becoming frigging ridiculous and uncomfortable. I'm in the minority here. That. Was not funny. That was uncomfortable. Watching those girls lose years of sobriety that way, knowing how broken they were all gonna be when they found out, made the whole thing pathetic and uncomfortably sad, not so much funny.

Although to be honest, Bonnie teaching Christie to skip...

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, msani19 said:

Ok, Bonnie. It's time to pull the plug on Adam. Thanks but no thanks. We've been saying this was bound to happen if she continued dating him and at least it was "just" pot. I appreciate that Marjorie was able to help them recognize that this was an unintentional slip-up and not a sobriety fail. Adam hiding your pot cookies is not good enough. Boy bye.

No, I think it's time to pull the plug on bashing Adam and blaming him for everything under the sun.  He didn't mean for this to happen.  He even told Christy he hid the cookies because he didn't want that to happen.  If he'd just left them out carelessly, that would've been one thing.  Bash and blame away.  But he didn't.  The only fault he has here is that he didn't just flat-out lock them up somewhere.  But as he had no real way of knowing that Bonnie would actually look behind his pots and pans, I can see why he didn't do it.  (Who even does that in a place where you don't even live?)  I thought the show handled his part in it very well, very clearly establishing that he had tried to take precautions to preserve Bonnie's sobriety.

And to answer @hnygrl, specifically: HELL, NO, BONNIE SHOULDN'T BE UPSET WITH ADAM!  She has no right to be!  She's the one who took the cookies without asking or telling him.  Cookies she wasn't even supposed to find, and weren't even hers.  Hell, it sounds like she went snooping for them without his knowledge.  That's NOT his fault.  That's hers.  Christy had that exactly right.

This may be because I like Adam and feel protective of him, but week after week after week of this is driving me crazy.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 17

I'm not comfortable with Adams drinking heavily/bringing drunk friends around in the past, but I had no problem with the brownies.  I agree with Michel - his only responsibility was to hide them and not consume them in front of Bonnie. 

• Love 10

I just plain didn't buy that Bonnie didn't recognize the taste the second she bit into one. For some reason, I buy Christy not getting it; and I might've even bought it if neither of them tasted it or noticed, except they bothered putting in that "this tastes like something" moment. Before that happened, I knew where it was going but I expected Bonnie to realize, say, after she'd given one to Christy and for the hijinx to come from there. As soon as they bothered having them comment on the taste, for Bonnie to not know really annoyed me. I suppose just because she was a heavy drinker and drug user in the past doesn't necessarily mean she has a lot of experience with edibles, still the way they established the character so far, it just struck a wrong chord that she would know enough to comment on the taste, not know what it was, and not realize sooner that she was high.

• Love 3

Adam was in a horrible accident and lost the use of his legs. The pot might have been medically prescribed for pain. (It's California, right?) The cookies weren't in a tupperware, they were professionally wrapped, probably purchased from a dispensary.  I don't think they have ever said anything like that in the show, but it's very likely he still has pain from the accident or even from sitting in the chair so much. In the real world, he would have told Bonnie about the cookies, but then we wouldn't have had a show.

The pain also might be the source of his excessive drinking, although he really needs to get a handle on that; it can wreck his health.

Anyway - it was fun watching all the ladies having a blast!

• Love 1

Honestly I can't really be mad at Adam this episode was everything I wanted in an episode for a long time.  I wanted to see the ladies (especially Christy) high. This was a good way to do it that allows the show to have little or no repercussions.....or a lot of repercussions down the road depending on how they decide to go.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Aren't all pot edibles labeled as such, and also have a warning to keep away from children? There's no way the cookies would have been in a bag that had no mention of their being edibles. And I'm in the can't-blame-Adam-for-this-one camp. He hid the cookies as best he could and Bonnie shouldn't have been snooping around in his house. What was he supposed to do, bury them in the yard?

With their drug history, wouldn't they know what a pot high felt like? Wasn't it obvious to everyone at that meeting that Bonnie and Christie were high? They were definitely acting that way.

The playground scene was funny. And I loved Marjorie telling the gang that they hadn't lost their sobriety. She was right. 

• Love 7

I thought the episode was funny but there's no way in hell Bonnie and Christy wouldn't have realized they were high, like immediately. Trust me - I haven't smoked pot in years but if I were suddenly high from it, I'd realize it. I wouldn't go about my day thinking everything was normal and not realize something was going on. Especially to the level they seemed to be. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I thought the episode was funny but there's no way in hell Bonnie and Christy wouldn't have realized they were high, like immediately. Trust me - I haven't smoked pot in years but if I were suddenly high from it, I'd realize it. I wouldn't go about my day thinking everything was normal and not realize something was going on. Especially to the level they seemed to be. 

I also thought there was no way nobody at the meeting realized that Bonnie and Christy were high. 

As for whether or not this was Adam's "fault", I don't think it is, but it further illustrates their incompatibility. Adam is a guy who likes to drink and keeps edibles around the house. Bonnie is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. Something like this was bound to happen sooner or later.

• Love 2

Sitcom wacky hijinks.  Having  Bonnie and Christy high is funny but having the rest of the group high is very funny.  

I give the  probability of them not realizing something is wrong a wacky hijinks pass.  It really was funny.  Plus it was one of my wishes for the show.  

• Love 5

Well said, Chocolatine, that was my point as well. You stated it clearer than I did.

I don't "blame" Adam per se, it's just...at its root, what do these two really have in common? He likes to drink, smoke weed (and maybe other things?), and she's a recovering alcoholic/addict. Bothers me that it doesn't bother HER that he gets wasted in front of her.

Guess neither one wants to have THAT talk...they'd have to break up if they did. They can't dance around this situation forever. Fans are getting antsy.

3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Aren't all pot edibles labeled as such, and also have a warning to keep away from children? There's no way the cookies would have been in a bag that had no mention of their being edibles

If he got them from a dispensary, yes. But if he got them from a friend, or made them himself, it would be a different story.

I think the writers' justification for the characters' cluelessness (in not realizing they were high) was that they didn't have Marjorie's common sense to guide them. But I still don't buy it. Jill may be spoiled and self-absorbed, but she's not stupid - no way would she watch Bonnie and Christy acting like that and not put two and two together.

This was a funny plotline that required a huge suspension of disbelief. It would have been a lot more believable if the characters hadn't been established as experienced drug users. (And if they lived in a cave.)

• Love 1

This episode really asked the audience to do some heavy lifting when it comes to suspension of disbelief. It has been established that at least Bonnie and Christy were experimenting with lots of different drugs not just alcohol. They should have recognized the pot and of course they should have realized that they were acting high - as should have the rest of the meeting. At least Marjorie was not there because her not immediately realizing what was going on would have definitely been too much. On the other hand we did get some fantastic physical comedy - I loved the skipping scene - and some great lines.

Although I find some of Adam's drinking habits disturbing this was definitely not his fault. Bonnie has a history of overstepping boundaries (copying his handicapped id, taking away his wheelchair) and snooping around kitchen cabinets and taking something that was clearly hidden fits that pattern. It's mostly played for laughs but I find it also disturbing. So, yeah - those two are probably not going to last. I won't lie I would like them to make it, address their issues and break the laws of sitcom writing but the show demands Bonnie and Christy remain trapped in each others orbit and so I have little hope.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

As for whether or not this was Adam's "fault", I don't think it is, but it further illustrates their incompatibility.

Totally agree with the lack of fault in this episode.  As to the compatibility, I'm curious where they are heading with this.  In general, they do seem compatible.  However, we have seen several instances where her being an alcoholic and must abstain brush up against him still indulging.

I truly hope he doesn't end up joining AA.  And not because he's in denial, rather because he's a person that parties and likes his beer with football, likes pot and even gets really drunk with old drinking pals once in awhile. I'd be disappointed if this is portrayed as him being at fault as a message they were building to this season.

Bonnie and he might well be ultimately not be able to be together (despite being compatible in many other ways) because of her addiction and his still consuming when she cannot. That happens and it is no one's fault. Simply her not being able to be with him because of her problem, without him being the bad guy, is a fine story to tell.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

the show demands Bonnie and Christy remain trapped in each others orbit and so I have little hope.

Yeah, pretty much. The only reason they have that apartment is because Bonnie is the super or manager of some kind (another subplot they really just dropped with only an occasional mention, like the kids). She can't move out and it seems unlikely they'd have Adam move in. This is definitely going to crash and burn it's just a matter of when. My guess is the "let's get married" thing is going to come up again at some inopportune time (during a fight or something).

• Love 1