Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Exes and OMGs

My interpretation of that scene was that the gloved figure (AD presumably) wheeled Ali off somewhere and gave her something that counteracted the drugs Wrollins was giving her -- thus she was able to attack him the next time we saw her.  Now that people are speculating that AD implanted Emily's eggs, I could totally see the writers going that way just for the drama.  "I can't be with you, Sabrina and/or Paige, because Alison is carrying my baby!"  Bleh.

Of course, in real life IVF doesn't work that way.  The surrogate mother (Ali) has to go through some hormone treatments before implantation.  I guess they'll say AD tainted the drugs Wrollins was giving her with pregnancy hormones.

Its so sick and gross and unrealistic that I have no doubt this is where the story is heading.  It'll be the mid-season finale text from AD:  "Ali's pregnant with Emily's kid.  Tell me who killed Charlotte and I'll tell you who the father is". 

Then in 7.14 they'll claw back this story, and we'll find out that AD lied - Ali isn't pregnant, or she is but she got pregnant the old fashioned way and Emily's eggs weren't involved.  It's essentially a rehash-with-a-twist of the "Ezra is Malcolm's dad / no he isn't" plot.

• Love 1

I don't know what's worse - that it's entirely plausible that the writers will go for the "Ali carries Emily's babies" plot or that you just know that there will be quite a few shippers who will find this the most romantic thing ever.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

I don't know what's worse - that it's entirely plausible that the writers will go for the "Ali carries Emily's babies" plot or that you just know that there will be quite shippers who will find this the most romantic thing ever.

This. Emison is the worst. I don't understand the love for it, not just from fans but from the actors. SM is all about this pairing and it's sad because out of all the girls, Emily seems to be the one who gets choices left and right on this show. Are they great romantic partners? Not really. Most of them end up being dull and I don't really ship her with them but they do seem better than Alison. Seriously, coffee girl seems nice and sane. I just can't with Emison. I don't get it.

• Love 6

I think SM is on team Emison because it's the closest thing her character has to an "epic" romance ala Ezzzria or Spoby or Haleb and that is what the kiddies like and that is what gets you fans. Ironically, I think Emily's love life has been the most realistic, short relationships that are hot and heavy in the beginning but fade out while you are searching for what it is you want in a partner. That 3 out of 4 twenty something women are with (let's face it, Toby will be back and Haleb is only a matter of time) their high school boyfriends, that is just not realistic...is it? It wasn't when I was younger. It's sad if it is now. Seems like settling because you don't want to put in the effort. Or maybe I think that because Fitz, Toby and now even poor Caleb SUCK

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I think SM is on team Emison because it's the closest thing her character has to an "epic" romance ala Ezzzria or Spoby or Haleb and that is what the kiddies like and that is what gets you fans. Ironically, I think Emily's love life has been the most realistic, short relationships that are hot and heavy in the beginning but fade out while you are searching for what it is you want in a partner. That 3 out of 4 twenty something women are with (let's face it, Toby will be back and Haleb is only a matter of time) their high school boyfriends, that is just not realistic...is it? It wasn't when I was younger. It's sad if it is now. Seems like settling because you don't want to put in the effort. Or maybe I think that because Fitz, Toby and now even poor Caleb SUCK

It's not. Unless it's a tv show. And I agree with almost everything else you posted as well.

5 hours ago, mac123x said:

My interpretation of that scene was that the gloved figure (AD presumably) wheeled Ali off somewhere and gave her something that counteracted the drugs Wrollins was giving her -- thus she was able to attack him the next time we saw her.  Now that people are speculating that AD implanted Emily's eggs, I could totally see the writers going that way just for the drama.  

That could be a possibility. A.D. does have a helpful side, as we've seen by him taking Emily's test and doing Ali's dry cleaning. Or maybe it was Mary taking her somewhere and giving her something to help fight off Rollins once she realized Rollins was taking things too far. Literally anything other than her being impregnated without her consent would be acceptable. 

1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This. Emison is the worst. I don't understand the love for it, not just from fans but from the actors. SM is all about this pairing and it's sad because out of all the girls, Emily seems to be the one who gets choices left and right on this show. Are they great romantic partners? Not really. Most of them end up being dull and I don't really ship her with them but they do seem better than Alison. Seriously, coffee girl seems nice and sane. I just can't with Emison. I don't get it.

Shay and Sasha know how popular the pairing is and probably promote it because they have fun with it and it makes their fans happy and generates social media buzz. I like Sabrina for Emily, she seems normal and low-key but there's no way she's lasting because she's too normal and kind of boring. And I wouldn't have an issue with Alison or Emison getting together now as adults because their past is behind them and I honestly think Alison has more of a reason to be wary of Emily's feelings than Emily does of Alison's because Alison hasn't manipulated Emily since she was 15 but Emily has twice falsely accused Alison of murder since then, so I'd imagine there'd be some trust issues. Also if Emily's other "epic love" option is Paige, I'll pass because something about Paily bugs me... like Paige just seems so intensely in love with Emily and Emily never seemed as into it, so it comes across as weird and one-sided to me.  

Anyway, no sane person, shipper or not, could want this for these characters. 

I'm actually hoping this is the last season of this show. I hate not knowing who "A" / "AD" / "UberA" is and that's why I keep watching, but I'm growing weary. The story is becoming more and more ridiculous; not even remotely plausible. I too believe that they're laying it on too thickly this whole "Spencer is Mary's 2nd child" retcon, so it's gonna turn out to be some random person like Paige. That may actually make more sense as to why she came back, because I'm not buying that it's to coach at her old high school. *rolls eyes*

The fact that all these girls seem to be ending up with their high school sweethearts is really annoying me. The chances that anyone actually ends up with the person they date is high school is so slim, even slimmer that all 4 girls of the same group will have that luck. *rolls eyes some more*

Hannah has lost it. That call seemed completely out of character. I'm sure that story is going to turn out to be a dud. Oddly, I don't even care.
Oh! When did Aria buy a wedding dress? Weren't they engaged for like a week and she didn't even know if she was going to say yes? *rolls eyes even harder*

As to this story of Allison being impregnated with Emily's eggs.... No. Please. Just no. If that does happen, I think that will be the last straw for me. Although, given how silly these stories have become now, I shouldn't be surprised if that is the case. *rolls eyes so hard they roll out of head*

• Love 2
14 hours ago, joelene said:

Isn't A's motive wanting to know who killed Charlotte? Why would s/he pull stunts like impregnating Alison for no reason? Or have the Alison/Emily shippers leaped into PPL reality. Could probably happen at this point. 

We had Rollings and Mary working together to get Ali's money. Which also included Charlotte's money, so Rollings was sleeping with her girlfriend's sister because she had control of Ali's money? That is a pretty weak motive to begin with. It would make sense if he wasn't really dating Charlotte, but not since he was.

AD/A/whoever wants to know who killed Charlotte, so if this person isn't Rollings and/or Mary, it is a third party who also loved Charlotte (otherwise, why would they care?) So maybe Charlotte's biological father who also hates Ali because her family somehow stole Charlotte away from him?

11 hours ago, mac123x said:

Its so sick and gross and unrealistic that I have no doubt this is where the story is heading.  It'll be the mid-season finale text from AD:  "Ali's pregnant with Emily's kid.  Tell me who killed Charlotte and I'll tell you who the father is". 

Then in 7.14 they'll claw back this story, and we'll find out that AD lied - Ali isn't pregnant, or she is but she got pregnant the old fashioned way and Emily's eggs weren't involved.  It's essentially a rehash-with-a-twist of the "Ezra is Malcolm's dad / no he isn't" plot.

She's pregnant with twins. One is Ali's actual baby with Elliot and the other is Emily's eggs fertilized by Caleb. Because that will make the triangle even more awkward. But it will also make Ali and Emily bond because their children will also be siblings.

14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She's pregnant with twins. One is Ali's actual baby with Elliot and the other is Emily's eggs fertilized by Caleb.

And they will star in Pretty Little Liars: The Next Generation. Watch as little Ellia and Cally try to find the identity of B, the person who killed their mother and is tormenting them now in their first year in kindergarden! Is it Ellia's evil father Elliot, Cally's dad Caleb, or did Emily finally snap and go on a rampage after learning her own father faked his death so that he could watch her and protect her from afar? These questions will never, ever be answered, at least not with any satisfaction on PLL:TNG so tune in.

• Love 4

I was just thinking how this season was supposed to be 'the most romantic season ever'.. why? Because of Ezra and Aria's proposal/engagement? Those two things were so brief. Like for five episodes we were sitting though the 100 breakup scenes Caleb and Spencer went through, sure, Haleb is having moments but once again brief. And the Alison/Emily scenes have been maybe 1% romantic this season. There was a moment when Ali crashed Emily's coffee girl date but aside from that, they just feel like friends right now. But seriously, most romantic season? HUH? Not that I want that but it made me laugh when I remembered it. 

• Love 2

OMG I totally forgot about that "most romantic season ever" thing. Even the Ezzzria story line is far from romantic right now. I guess when they have their big wedding in the finale (because come on, that is clearly where they are heading) it will make up for all the stupid, boring love triangles and high school angst from couples that are no longer in high school. Maybe MK was looking at a thesaurus instead of a dictionary when she picked the word romantic.

• Love 1

When Marlene said that it was going to be the most romantic season ever, we all should have known the romantic aspects of this show were going to suck more than usual. (And a character assassination - Caleb is the lucky victim - was about to appear)

I like Emily and Alison together. For a lot of reasons. I think the show has done a wonderful job of humanizing the girls, both in their good and bad qualities. And they are consistent with it. (That's about the only thing the show is good at.) I think Ali's relationship with Emily can either be seen as a humanized part of Ali or her sociopathic tendencies of using people..and in order for Ali to be as consistent as the other girls, it should be the former. (And I root for Ali, so I want it to be the former). Among other reasons. But, it would be disgusting to have the Ali/Emily prego thing. Like..that's as stupid as the Charlotte story. 

• Love 2

"The most romantic season ever" was a tag line they instructed all of the actors to say. It implies sex. Sex sells. This season had zero chemistry between the actors... I can tell they pretty much hate each other and none of the actors want to share a scene much less a bed.

1 hour ago, GreenScreenFX said:

"The most romantic season ever" was a tag line they instructed all of the actors to say. It implies sex. Sex sells. This season had zero chemistry between the actors... I can tell they pretty much hate each other and none of the actors want to share a scene much less a bed.

Hee. I do think it's funny we all share the same thought. Also.. has there been a lot of sex this season? Aside from Ezra and Aria and Emily's flashback from a season ago.. really? I stand by what I said, this might be the least romantic season ever. I mean..like I said Caleb and Spencer ran over their romance about fifty times until finally calling it, it's like..really. We sat through like six episodes where these two kept calling this stupid thing over and then..taking it back. I mean..I can't even. I don't think the actors hate each other as much as they are just over this show; I feel like Trioan has been over it for a few years- anyone remember that moment in the Christmas episode her "I can't believe I have to pretend Christmas lights are SCARY!" face is golden- and I think the others are ready to move on as well. This show has stilled, its obvious the timejump did nothing in terms of the characters or the show moving forward. It was a high-school show, it should have ended in high-school, I don't enjoy seeing these 23 year olds acting like the 16 year olds they were. 

• Love 3

It isn't the concept so much as the execution and choices they made. If A had motivations to do with them then we could expand on that. But they always drop the good stuff. Rosewood the corrupt town would be a great story to do from the other side. Ali could have a fellow teacher dating her students. Spencer confronts ugly Rosewood politics that isn't campaign but cover ups.... Toby in the police? Nothing! How does that cess pit work.There is material. They never wanted to tell us what Ali did for two years. They could spin any mystery other than this one!

• Love 6
On August 20, 2016 at 3:08 AM, Mabinogia said:

OMG I totally forgot about that "most romantic season ever" thing. Even the Ezzzria story line is far from romantic right now. I guess when they have their big wedding in the finale (because come on, that is clearly where they are heading) it will make up for all the stupid, boring love triangles and high school angst from couples that are no longer in high school. Maybe MK was looking at a thesaurus instead of a dictionary when she picked the word romantic.

On August 20, 2016 at 6:21 AM, kat165 said:

You guys give Marlene too much credit. :)

LOL I just realized the way Marlene talks about the show reminds me of Donald Trump talking about everything. It's going to be great! The most romantic season ever! All the questions will be answered! Fans love my twists! My twists are the best! 

(Before I get ripped apart, this is not a political commentary, and I don't have any interest in discussing politics or going off topic)

I really want this show to end with the girls coming together and solving the mystery without the villain just revealing him/herself. I want a happy ending that is not based on romance. I'm sick of the show perpetuating the idea that the key to happiness is being with your soulmate. 

• Love 5

Haha, ITA but if you want a less political comparison, it's like Nigel on SYTYCD because every season he makes statements like "I think that was the best dance we've ever seen on this show!" and "That was the most emotional dance in all ten seasons!" Everything is superlatives and hyperbole. I just realized that reminds me of when Alec Baldwin was Phoebe's wedding date on Friends:

• Love 4
On 8/21/2016 at 11:48 AM, fitzcarraldo said:

It isn't the concept so much as the execution and choices they made. If A had motivations to do with them then we could expand on that. But they always drop the good stuff. Rosewood the corrupt town would be a great story to do from the other side. Ali could have a fellow teacher dating her students. Spencer confronts ugly Rosewood politics that isn't campaign but cover ups.... Toby in the police? Nothing! How does that cess pit work.There is material. They never wanted to tell us what Ali did for two years. They could spin any mystery other than this one!

This so much.  Was this show always light entertaining nonsense? Yes.  But at least in the early seasons they actually had interesting story lines. Now they make up new conflicts every season, that relate to nothing.  This show has so many dropped plot threads, that would be so much more interesting than the actually story lines they give us.  Hell, this past episode, when Emily and Ali were sitting in the park I thought they were finally going to address the fact they had sex years ago, but instead we just get an awkward conversation about Emily working at Rosewood High.  I mean at least Emily's love life approximates that of the average 23 year old, but lets be honest no one cares about Emily's relationships with the random girls working at Ezra's coffee shop.  If they are going to spend time on the girl's love life, can they at least pick a love interest we actually know enough to be invested in one way or the other?  Yes I know I am asking to much.  I am sorry.  Rant over.

• Love 5