Type keyword(s) to search

Behind the Music: Fights, Drugs, & Various Dramas in Music Acts

methodwriter85
  • Start Topic

I got done watching a movie called "Worried About the Boy", which chronicles Boy George's rise to fame. Despite not really looking like him, I thought Douglas Booth nailed the character, and it was a really enjoyable watch.

In real life, Culture Club's drama mainly focused on the tempestuous love affair between Boy George and his drummer, Jon Moss, an otherwise straight man. The drama of their final break-up, as well as lukewarm third album, plus Boy George's descent into drugs, imploded the band back in 1985-1986.

They had several reunions in the intervening years, some with the full original line-up, some without a missing member. (Jon tried to make a Culture Club without Boy George back in 2006.)

In 2014, they attempted another stab at a reunion plus an album, this time being followed by camera crews in a documentary called Culture Club: From Karma To Calaminity. Let's just say that reunion attempt didn't end well.

They DID finally get it together though for this summer, and are touring now.

Which can't be said for the Bay City Rollers, as Woody left the band again after four winter gigs and one summer gig. Talk about a short-lived reunion.

Back to Culture Club...they ARE sounding great. They really are. Let's just hope they don't implode themselves again.

So what is some of your favorite music act drama?

• Love 1

I think that the Beatles were a prime example of this--still exhibiting pettiness and affection for each other (sometimes simultaneously) decades after they broke up.

Van Halen is another example of a group disintegrating (dumping vocalists, dumping long time players without even telling them....)

There really should be a sub-specialty of counseling, just for musical groups.

Edited by Yokosmom

Don't Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi have some hair pulling fight every few years?  Now they're out with a new CD.

And The Eagles had legendary rows between Glenn Frey, Don Henley and Don Felder because Felder thought he was owed more money then he was being paid even though his contributions to the group were like .01% that of Henley and Frey's.  Guess there's always gotta be one.

15 minutes ago, CaughtOnTape said:

Don't Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi have some hair pulling fight every few years?  Now they're out with a new CD.

Well, the band Bon Jovi is out with a new CD. But Richie Sambora has no part in it and left the band back in 2013. Sadly, it looks to have stuck. Sadly, because JBJ/RS used to be tight. I know there were rumors of Sambora having addiction issues, but he claims he just wanted more time with his daughter, etc. Who knows?

On 12/1/2016 at 3:26 PM, Yokosmom said:

Van Halen is another example of a group disintegrating (dumping vocalists, dumping long time players without even telling them....)

As I've said elsewhere, what a shock it's been to find out David Lee Roth was not the biggest asshole in the band.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, AimingforYoko said:

As I've said elsewhere, what a shock it's been to find out David Lee Roth was not the biggest asshole in the band.

Agreed.  The unceremonious dumping of Michael Anthony in favor of Eddie's teenaged son really drove that message home.

• Love 1

My favorite minor drama was one of those "what might have been" moments: The time that David Bowie met Frank Zappa. In an ideal universe the two of them, who were very successful artists making highly idiosyncratic and musically complex records at that point, would have combined forces to collaborate on something awesome, in much the same way that Bowie did with Queen and with John Lennon.

Unfortunately, Bowie had arranged for one of Zappa's band members to tour with him for a couple of months (while Zappa was going to be busy making a movie), and Zappa was pissed off that "his" musician had dared to do something without getting permission first. They had a chance encounter shortly afterward, and Zappa replied "Fuck you, Captain Tom" repeatedly when Bowie tried to politely smooth things over between them.

And yes, he said "captain", not "major." Bowie joked later about having been demoted.

• Love 4

Abba's The Winner Takes It All is absolutely brutal to watch, especially at the end where Agnetha looks like she's trying so hard not to cry.

Talk about channeling personal pain into a beautiful piece of timeless art, though.

I'm kind of surprised that no one's done a biopic on Abba, although I guess Mama Mia rendered that moot.

While I know that Florence Ballard had serious issues and likely did not have the easiest temper, I think the way the Supremes and Berry Gordy treated her was rather appalling (and, yes, that includes  Mary Wilson who I don't believe  was as nice to Miss Ballard as she'd like everyone to believe [e.g. claiming not to know that Miss Ballard was due to have her dream home foreclosed until too late for Miss Wilson to help]). Sadly,too, the songs I've heard Miss Ballard sing on her own bring to mind a style closer to Roberta Flack but few folks bought her post-Supreme recordings. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

Three words: Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I'm assuming you saw Todd in the Shadows' Trainwreckords episode about their final album Mardi Gras? Yeah, what a mess. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, UYI said:

I'm assuming you saw Todd in the Shadows' Trainwreckords episode about their final album Mardi Gras? Yeah, what a mess. 

I did, but I heard stories about their falling out before that.  They could NOT work together.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2018 at 2:53 PM, AimingforYoko said:

As I said in the Plagiarism thread, my favorite story to come out of the CCR ordeal was Fantasy Records suing Fogerty for plagiarizing himself.

My Dad always loved that story. He also always said that if you looked up 'screwed' in the dictionary Fogerty's name would be next to it. He was a huge CCR fan.

• Love 2

This is a developing story. My favourite 2018 find, though they formed a couple of years ago, is black metal band Batushka. As of a couple of days ago, they split. First was a message from the founder and guitarist Krzysztof that the lead singer, Bartłomiej, was trying to take the band away from him. Bart responded by saying that they'd decided to part ways with their guitarist Kris. Krzysztof now says that the others have taken the FB and instagram pages away from him, and that Bart has brought in other musicians to do their own Batushka album.

Problem is, they all perform in full hoods, robes, and masks. Outside of Bart, whose build and gestures ID him as the frontman of Hermh, there's no real saying who's in the band and who isn't. Hard to say who's in the right, though I lean towards Krzysztof. Here's an article on the matter, and here is Krysztof's video laying it out.

Damnit, I just want another awesome Batushka album. :(

On 12/5/2016 at 9:10 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Agreed.  The unceremonious dumping of Michael Anthony in favor of Eddie's teenaged son really drove that message home.

Agreed, but I had to laugh every time the new alignment was referred to as "Three Men and a Baby". 😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 2
On 7/22/2019 at 8:04 PM, catlover79 said:

Agreed, but I had to laugh every time the new alignment was referred to as "Three Men and a Baby". 😂😂😂😂😂

Actually, it was "Three Really Old Men and a Baby". 😂😂😂😂😂

On 11/20/2018 at 5:53 PM, AimingforYoko said:

As I said in the Plagiarism thread, my favorite story to come out of the CCR ordeal was Fantasy Records suing Fogerty for plagiarizing himself.

In the immortal words of my sister: "That's messed up."

3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Now there's one feud I never knew about. In another thread, I wrote that Rolling Stone says Eddie Money apparently has cancer.  😞 So this popping up so soon after is kind of ironic.  🙂

One thing, I guess Money was a NYC cop before his music career! What a switch. (His real name is Eddie Mahoney. A simple drop of the "a" and "h" and voila! A rock and roll name was born.)

Among the more famous squabbles in the country music industry has to be that of the late Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. Long short is that after a few years of being the leading lady singer on his self-named show, Miss Parton wanted to strike out on her  own- and had never been shy about telling him that was her plan. Despite the previous warning, he didn't take well to the news and tried to delay her from leaving. She wrote the song "I Will Always Love You" to let him know that she appreciated the time she had spent with him and the lessons she had learned while doing the show but she was ready to move on.  For years afterwards they maintained a somewhat cold war with a few flair up (mainly on his part). 

Anyway, by the last part of his life, Mr. Wagoner's fortunes had waned and, to raise money for his own expenses, he wound up putting the 200 or so  songs he had written (and copyrighted ) on the market. Miss Parton heard about this and, knowing how each song had meant so much to him (as her songs she had written meant to herself), she bought them- and then she came to him and said ' Here are your songs! They're YOURS!'

Needless to say, this led to a warm reconciliation and she was at his side with his family when he died of lung cancer at age 80 in 2007. 

I thought we could use a feud that wound up having a touching ending

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Among the more famous squabbles in the country music industry has to be that of the late Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. Long short is that after a few years of being the leading lady singer on his self-named show, Miss Parton wanted to strike out on her  own- and had never been shy about telling him that was her plan. Despite the previous warning, he didn't take well to the news and tried to delay her from leaving. She wrote the song "I Will Always Love You" to let him know that she appreciated the time she had spent with him and the lessons she had learned while doing the show but she was ready to move on.  For years afterwards they maintained a somewhat cold war with a few flair up (mainly on his part). 

Anyway, by the last part of his life, Mr. Wagoner's fortunes had waned and, to raise money for his own expenses, he wound up putting the 200 or so  songs he had written (and copyrighted ) on the market. Miss Parton heard about this and, knowing how each song had meant so much to him (as her songs she had written meant to herself), she bought them- and then she came to him and said ' Here are your songs! They're YOURS!'

Needless to say, this led to a warm reconciliation and she was at his side with his family when he died of lung cancer at age 80 in 2007. 

I thought we could use feud that wound up having a touching ending

I learned this story from Drunk History, and all I can say is that Dolly Parton is a much better person than I could ever hope to be.

• Love 8

I always hated that Destiny's child broke up in early 2000. The original lineup of Letoya, Latavia Kelly and Beyonce was awesome. Their vocals and harmonies were outstanding with Letoya singing soprano, Kelly singing the mezzo note below her with Beyonce singing the melody and Latavia singing alto right below her.  I wish the ladies had worked out their differences and I will always blame Matthew Knowles for the demise of the group.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

There was also the incident between Ann Wilson's husband and Nancy Wilson's teen sons while Heart was on the road in 2016:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/heart-can-ann-and-nancy-wilson-go-on-after-family-assault-115109/

Yikes.  I'm Team Nancy; Ann already had me side-eyeing her with this:

“We’ve been inseparable for two years now, 24/7,” Ann says. “He’s such a different animal from anyone else who’s ever come into our family that [Nancy] never really understood him. And that had a lot to do with what happened. He was demonized before we even got married because he’s a free spirit. He’s completely blunt and honest and open. He holds nothing in reserve and that puts people off right there. People take it personally.”

So he's an asshole, and when people are offended by him being a jerk to them, they just don't understand him.  And then she pulled this:

I know he was really provoked.

A grown-ass man was "really provoked" into physically attacking a teenager because the kid left a door open?!  He left it open for the siblings coming behind him.  Even if they were far enough away that he should have closed it and let them re-open it, I certainly understand the concern about the dogs getting out, but an "I told you to keep the damn door closed!" would have sufficed.

• Useful 4
(edited)

Ann waited until she was 65 to tie the knot for the first time; too bad it was to this guy. He assaulted her own nephews!! I love my own nephews so much that if any guy I was with did something to hurt them, he'd be out of the picture so fast his head would spin. She's still married to the guy, by the way. 😫😫😫😫😫

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

He was demonized before we even got married because he’s a free spirit. He’s completely blunt and honest and open. He holds nothing in reserve and that puts people off right there. People take it personally.”

You know what this sounds like to me? Things Kim Kardashian said about Ye when she still wanted to be married to him, but he went on one of his ridiculous rants & she tried to defend him. Her defenses sounded just as ridiculous as his rants.

18 hours ago, GaT said:

You know what this sounds like to me? Things Kim Kardashian said about Ye when she still wanted to be married to him, but he went on one of his ridiculous rants & she tried to defend him. Her defenses sounded just as ridiculous as his rants.

You're absolutely right. At least Kim eventually got a clue and left.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, Prairie Rose said:

There was also the incident between Ann Wilson's husband and Nancy Wilson's teen sons while Heart was on the road in 2016:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/heart-can-ann-and-nancy-wilson-go-on-after-family-assault-115109/

Too bad that  Ann Wilson didn't live by the lyrics 'Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister/ and Lord help the sister who comes between me and my mister'! 

Why would I not be surprised if in X number of years, Ann will be kicking herself for having sided with him and even wagoncircling him over Nancy and the rest of the family? It may not hurt to ask Shirley Jones if staying married to someone whom none of her family and friends could stand was worth it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

It may not hurt to ask Shirley Jones if staying married to someone whom none of her family and friends could stand was worth it. 

Are you talking about Jack or Marty? If it's the latter (and I think that's who you mean), weren't they known as Hollywood's Odd Couple for a long time?

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Are you talking about Jack or Marty? If it's the latter (and I think that's who you mean), weren't they known as Hollywood's Odd Couple for a long time?

Since Shirley Jones DID have a lengthy singing career (though I'm not sure she's been active in it these past few years), I can use this subforum to summarize her two unions. Her 1st husband Jack Cassidy was exuded all kinds of charm AND he was immensely talented as a dramatic, comedic and musical performer. However, Mr. Cassidy was very troubled with quite a few demons and they wound up divorcing in 1975 after 18 years of marriage- and his demons became so blatant that he was totally estranged from his eldest son David and on strained terms with his and Miss Jones's three mutual sons to say nothing of many of his onetime colleagues and friends by the time of his tragic death by fire in 1976 (and Miss Jones's bio added a few troubling questions about that fire's circumstances and whether there might have been others present when it started,etc.).  She married Marty Ingels in 1977 who not only didn't possess the late Mr. Cassidy's talents, but was so incredibly annoying that none of her family or friends could stand him from the start and, at best, only grudgingly tolerated his. .. stunts for her sake. Yet, she stayed married to him until his 2015 death despite everyone else openly loathing him. 

As I said, Ann Wilson may want to hear from Miss Jones whether staying married to someone who alienated her family was truly worth it. 

• Useful 3
8 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Since Shirley Jones DID have a lengthy singing career (though I'm not sure she's been active in it these past few years), I can use this subforum to summarize her two unions. Her 1st husband Jack Cassidy was exuded all kinds of charm AND he was immensely talented as a dramatic, comedic and musical performer. However, Mr. Cassidy was very troubled with quite a few demons and they wound up divorcing in 1975 after 18 years of marriage- and his demons became so blatant that he was totally estranged from his eldest son David and on strained terms with his and Miss Jones's three mutual sons to say nothing of many of his onetime colleagues and friends by the time of his tragic death by fire in 1976 (and Miss Jones's bio added a few troubling questions about that fire's circumstances and whether there might have been others present when it started,etc.).  She married Marty Ingels in 1977 who not only didn't possess the late Mr. Cassidy's talents, but was so incredibly annoying that none of her family or friends could stand him from the start and, at best, only grudgingly tolerated his. .. stunts for her sake. Yet, she stayed married to him until his 2015 death despite everyone else openly loathing him. 

As I said, Ann Wilson may want to hear from Miss Jones whether staying married to someone who alienated her family was truly worth it. 

Hi @Blergh, Shirley Jones has a good-sized discography - her last full-length album, A Tribute to Richard Rodgers, was released in 2010. My mother still has a vinyl copy of one of her duet albums with Jack Cassidy from back in the day. The Jones/Cassidy marriage was before my time, but it sounded like neither of her marriages was ideal. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Hi @Blergh, Shirley Jones has a good-sized discography - her last full-length album, A Tribute to Richard Rodgers, was released in 2010. My mother still has a vinyl copy of one of her duet albums with Jack Cassidy from back in the day. The Jones/Cassidy marriage was before my time, but it sounded like neither of her marriages was ideal. 

It's true! Mr. Cassidy was an egomaniac and open adulterer who expected Miss Jones to keep sticking with him no matter what which she did until she finally divorced him - and was even trying to woo her back   at the time of his death! Mr. Ingels, OTOH, appears to have been a faithful spouse to her who didn't physically abuse her or her sons- and those were  about the ONLY positive things anyone could say about him since not only was he obnoxious  but he also spent HER money like water (as had Mr. Cassidy). 

• Love 1

I have no idea what Jack Cassidy was like, but he really did - from stuff written about him - seem arrogant. I read he was the first choice for Ted Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but he didn't want to be on a show where a woman was the lead! Screw that.

Although he did guest as Ted's brother. Must have galled him to know he could have been on a very successful program, drawing a regular check. But his ego took precedence. And he sounded like an ass to his own kids.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have no idea what Jack Cassidy was like, but he really did - from stuff written about him - seem arrogant. I read he was the first choice for Ted Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but he didn't want to be on a show where a woman was the lead! Screw that.

Although he did guest as Ted's brother. Must have galled him to know he could have been on a very successful program, drawing a regular check. But his ego took precedence. And he sounded like an ass to his own kids.

Of all his four sons, David was the one who really took the brunt of his father's wrath. The younger three boys weren't in the business yet, and wouldn't achieve stardom to any degree until after Jack's death. 

Sadly, neither father nor son were able to overcome their respective demons. Shortly before David's passing, he was recording an EP called Songs My Father Taught Me. A&E aired a documentary (David Cassidy: The Last Session) of the recording sessions several months after his death. I have never forgotten watching that special and the moment a broken David cried out, "DAD! I...miss...you!" It was bone-chilling.

14 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Of all his four sons, David was the one who really took the brunt of his father's wrath. The younger three boys weren't in the business yet, and wouldn't achieve stardom to any degree until after Jack's death. 

Sadly, neither father nor son were able to overcome their respective demons. Shortly before David's passing, he was recording an EP called Songs My Father Taught Me. A&E aired a documentary (David Cassidy: The Last Session) of the recording sessions several months after his death. I have never forgotten watching that special and the moment a broken David cried out, "DAD! I...miss...you!" It was bone-chilling.

According to Shirley Jones, their three mutual sons DID see and hear more than they should have when the elder Mr. Cassidy's mental state deteriorated so one can't pretend that they were too young and/or in a cocoon re their father's shadowside. He seemed downright jealous that ANY member of his family would have any kind of success in the business but he sure wasn't above trying to reap the $$ from it. IIRC, he even tried to pester David to make Jack HIS beneficiary in case David had wound up dying before but David refused which further soured the bond. 

Of course, the sad irony is that David would live to  67 while Jack had died at age 49- yet still wasn't too old to have missed his rather flawed father. Shortly before her own death at 94, the performer Rose Marie posted a picture of her own late mother and captioned it 'Trust me when I say you never get too  old to miss your mother!'  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I meant the younger Cassidy boys didn't have success in show biz until after Jack died. They didn't experience the extreme jealousy their dad felt over David's meteoric rise in the business. (Shaun didn't book The Hardy Boys or start a successful recording career until a year after Jack's death.) If you get a chance, try to see the A&E special. I didn't mean that David was too old to miss his dad. Even after everything Jack had put David through, David still missed him.

A third generation Cassidy now has a fledgling recording career - Jack Cassidy, his grandfather's namesake, Patrick's son. He was on The Voice a few years ago and has a couple of singles released in the contemporary Christian market.

Edited by Prairie Rose
On 3/5/2022 at 6:28 PM, Prairie Rose said:

Today would have been the 64th birthday of Andy Gibb (3/5/1958). His is one of the saddest stories in pop music. 

Agree but I also feel sad for his daughter who he neglected almost from birth onward and I wonder how much contact her paternal Gibb uncles, aunt and grandparents have had with her down the years.

• Love 1