Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: For Richer or Poorer

Jane and Maura involve themselves in a complicated Ponzi scheme in order to learn what caused a forensic accountant to be murdered; Jane makes a decision about her career that has the potential to change her life as well. Directed by Sasha Alexander.

Spoiler

Wait - Maura has an ex-husband?  I don't remember this. 

Showrunner Jan Nash has ignored R&I canon before, but this is outrageous!  If Maura Isles ever had been married, she would have told Jane, her best friend.  And the Take a Chance wedding chapel wouldn't be Dr. Isles' style, even if she and Det. Jane Rizzoli were to wed.  (Which they do, in fanfiction.)

• Love 1

Of course he has dark hair and is classically gorgeous. That is definitely Maura's type. I'm still holding out hope that this was a drunken night in Vegas that was quickly annulled later. It's not like Maura has the best taste in men, and she's always along for the ride from the first date on. Is it too much to hope for a Garrett Fairfield mention? College and majorly on the rebound would be a great time for this kind of bullshit to occur. And of course it's never been mentioned because of the shame! She got married in a Vegas wedding chapel in a tacky veil under neon lights. She could never tell anyone about something like that.

I'm curious to see how Sasha does directing this ep. I still think it's weird that the actresses are directing episodes that their characters are heavily involved in. Still, Sasha has a film degree and has never directed that I can find, so I'm really curious. Isn't her husband a director?

It makes me sad how boring this show has become.  Maybe it's the universe trying to soften the blow when I hate the finale, because at this rate I'll just be happy it's over.

I don't care about Angela and what's-his-name.  I don't even care about Frankie and Nina anymore.  This is all just being written in the most uninteresting way possible. 

The return of the college husband?  Seriously?

I have no idea why Jane is taking this job.  She has a job she loves, with people she enjoys working with and who are her friends outside of work, in a city with her family she's close to and her best friend.  Okay, it can make sense to move away from all that after all these years, but they did nothing to set that up here.  It's just "the show is ending, so let's shake things up." 

• Love 4

I knew it wouldn't happen but...wouldn't it have been fun if NIna's mother had scorned Frankie as a boyfriend?  And if Ron had come to the Dirty Robber to tell Angela to stay out of his life?  And, most of all, if Jane (once known as Jealous Jane) had demanded an explanation of Maura's secret college marriage?  When Maura was dating Garrett Fairfield, by the way.   Showrunner Jan Nash appears to be pairing off all the characters in heterosexual relationships as fast as she can; what will she do with Jane & Maura?  I hate the thought.

Ken Hanes wrote this episode (and a dozen, much better), before it.  If he didn't get Maura's ex, why should we?

This episode was slow but I liked it. I pretty much always like Maura eps though. The bullshit with Edward's mother was extreme but I thought he and Maura had an easy, sexy chemistry. I get why Maura would go for him. Not going to lie, I got a romance novel thrill when he saw her then sent his mother away. Same for the way they held hands. Even though I knew the divorce thing was coming, I was half hoping she'd give him a shot. Maybe she still will. I'm apparently easier than I thought. All I need is Maura to be into it and really smile like that and I'm in. As long as she's doing it with that gorgeous updo and in something other than that awful red skirt and patterned pants. What the hell, wardrobe?

I'm a bit surprised that Maura is so supportive to Jane but it's a short plane ride and it's not like she hasn't been going through the same thing. So maybe she's feeling a little 'follow your path'. I was really hoping she would at some point get more from Jane about why she is even considering doing this though. It's like all of a sudden Jane's job doesn't feel right anymore so she's randomly changing. I get feeling unsettled and not knowing why, but I'm not even getting enough from the show to assume that's what the deal actually is.

The marriage as one night of crazy was not exactly a character swerve. This is the same Maura who rode nude to protest budget cuts. She and Garrett broke up at 20 so I'm guessing Edward came after. I really, truly didn't need that kind of last minute in the series character twist but I've seen worse *Alice*. I bet Tilly shit herself when she found out Maura had a key and that really makes it worth it.

I totally felt for Nina when her mother walked off with Frankie. Overbearing mothers seemed to be the theme this ep. I'm glad they talked for so long because they were having fun, rather than an endless interrogation. They were cute this ep.

7 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

So Angela is all freaked out over Jane being in danger on the job. She does also realize her son is a cop as well or what? 

YES!! Exactly. Then again, Frankie doesn't almost die quite as often as Jane. Still, remember Frankie, Angela! Maybe Ron will distract her from her nosiness.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, l star said:

This episode was slow but I liked it. I pretty much always like Maura eps though. The bullshit with Edward's mother was extreme but I thought he and Maura had an easy, sexy chemistry. I get why Maura would go for him. Not going to lie, I got a romance novel thrill when he saw her then sent his mother away. Same for the way they held hands. Even though I knew the divorce thing was coming, I was half hoping she'd give him a shot. Maybe she still will. I'm apparently easier than I thought. All I need is Maura to be into it and really smile like that and I'm in. As long as she's doing it with that gorgeous updo and in something other than that awful red skirt and patterned pants. What the hell, wardrobe?...

I always think Kristoffer Polaha has great on-screen charisma that can easily translate to chemistry in a scene (especially in this episode since Sasha Alexander also has charisma). I first saw him doing physical comedy in a Roswell episode that was a Bewitched parody. Maybe it's his voice. I'm always a sucker for a voice that resonates.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I remember getting watery eyes when one of the OTP said ILYs, but not who it was.
Oh. Wait. Now I recall. It must be the chemo screwing with my emotions.

Maura to Jane:  "Look, I like Tommy [Rizzoli] . A lot.  But I love you." 
2x12 "He Ain't Heavy. He's My Brother"

Oh, how I miss developer and initial showrunner Janet Tamaro.  Her R&I had emotional depth.

• Love 2

The COTW was pretty lame and I wasn't crazy about Nina's mom or Ron's daughter - or Ron, for that matter - but Maura's ex was easy on the eyes and I did think it was funny that perfect Maura wasn't good enough for the mother. For all the things that have happened this season with Jane, you would think her motivations to change her life would be clearer but they really aren't. Maybe because she and Maura have barely talked this year. They spend more time with other people. Still, you would think if they wanted to skip the Jane/Maura heart to hearts, she could at least have had some conversations with Korsak.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2016 at 9:39 PM, l star said:

I was really hoping she would at some point get more from Jane about why she is even considering doing this though. It's like all of a sudden Jane's job doesn't feel right anymore so she's randomly changing. I get feeling unsettled and not knowing why, but I'm not even getting enough from the show to assume that's what the deal actually is.

Someone correct me but when Jane went to Quantico originally and the offer was made, didn't I see this move coming? Was I the only one who saw the sizzle between the FBI guy and Jane?

Edited by Ina123
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ina123 said:

Someone correct me but when Jane went to Quantico originally and the offer was made, didn't I see this move coming? Was I the only one who saw the sizzle between the FBI guy and Jane?

Sizzle?  No.  Just another blah man.  Sadly, Jane Rizzoli is fizzling out as a strong, independent woman.  But even after 7 seasons, R&I hasn't found a man who she sizzles for.  Maura Isles, on the other hand?  Rizzles sizzles!

• Love 2

See it coming in that the show was going to ship her off to Virginia?  Sure.  See it coming, like if this was a real person one weekend spent teaching a class would inspire her to change careers and locations?  Not at all.  And while there was potential chemistry with the cute FBI agent, it's not something to move for (and one small mercy is they don't seem to be setting that up as a reason for her decision).

I keep comparing this to The Closer, because I recently watched it and they're both cop shows who had the main character(s) decide to change jobs in the end, and this show has done nothing that one did to make me understand why.  And there they had to move Brenda out of the LAPD, because Kyra Sedgwick was leaving, but the show universe was going to continue in the spin-off Major Crimes.  Here, they chose to write Jane as choosing to make such a big change in her life, yet can't be bothered to explain it.  They've had plenty of time to develop it, but simply haven't. 

• Love 2

Sasha Alexander did a nice job directing. She did a few interesting shots without being showy about them, but most importantly, she clearly directed the other actors to stay low-key and natural with their acting. It was quite the contrast with AH's episode, where she had clearly directed everyone to turn it up to 11 and only SA and Bruce McGill ignored her (and thank goodness). Less is more, AH.

It's too bad the case was boring and the killer immediately obvious, but I did get a kick out of all Maura's scenes. Particularly, like a poster upthread, the fact that someone actually wouldn't consider her good enough. She fit in just fine with the Fairfields, so wow. I have the feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Edward, and I'm conflicted about that. I like KP and Edward and Maura were good together, but I hate insta-romances (even though the show tried not to make it one by doing a whole "they were madly in love way back when" thing) and especially insta-romances that are created near the end of a series in order to quickly get someone paired off. I don't understand why Jan Nash is apparently choosing to end R&I's seven-season run by pulling apart everything that made the show: Jane moves away to teach at Quantico, Maura decides to give up her medical examiner job and increase her volunteer time at Hope's clinics (we got another reference in this episode about how much Maura is enjoying that) while writing mysteries, Korsak retires, Kent takes over Maura's job, Frankie gets promoted to Jane's, etc. I would have been perfectly happy with this particular show having a series finale that was for the most part just another episode, with a few callbacks and such, and a "and life goes on the way it always has" ending. Unless they're thinking about importing Jane's character cross-network to ABC's Quantico (which would actually be kind of funny, because while I'm not terribly fond of Jane's uber-shouty mode, every character on that show could do with some Rizzoli-style verbal lashing), I just don't see why breaking up the BPD group is necessary.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Jan Nash is apparently choosing to end R&I's seven-season run by pulling apart everything that made the show: Jane moves away to teach at Quantico, Maura decides to give up her medical examiner job and increase her volunteer time at Hope's clinics (we got another reference in this episode about how much Maura is enjoying that) while writing mysteries, Korsak retires, Kent takes over Maura's job, Frankie gets promoted to Jane's, etc. I would have been perfectly happy with this particular show having a series finale that was for the most part just another episode, with a few callbacks and such, and a "and life goes on the way it always has" ending.

This could have been written by me.  Those are generally my favorite kind of series finales -- a great stand-alone episode, with some callbacks to the pilot and other pivotal/favorite moments, that leaves me feeling content, happy I was along for the ride and leaving with the sense these characters carry on in perpetuity much as they'd been, I just won't happen to be peeking in on them anymore.  And that's definitely what I wanted from this show in particular.  I've spent all this time enjoying the gang from BPD - the Homicide detective and her best friend the ME, the squad, and (to a much lesser extent) their families.  So they're going to leave me with a bunch of people who are no longer connected that way?

I hate shows that start frantically pairing off virtually every single major and secondary character with a romantic partner as they draw to a close.  I don't automatically hate shows that have their main characters make drastic life changes in the end, as life is full of transitions, but I do require they a) limit that to one or two characters and b) establish a logical reason for it.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Sasha Alexander did a nice job directing. She did a few interesting shots without being showy about them, but most importantly, she clearly directed the other actors to stay low-key and natural with their acting. It was quite the contrast with AH's episode, where she had clearly directed everyone to turn it up to 11 and only SA and Bruce McGill ignored her (and thank goodness). Less is more, AH.

It's too bad the case was boring and the killer immediately obvious, but I did get a kick out of all Maura's scenes. Particularly, like a poster upthread, the fact that someone actually wouldn't consider her good enough. She fit in just fine with the Fairfields, so wow. I have the feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Edward, and I'm conflicted about that. I like KP and Edward and Maura were good together, but I hate insta-romances (even though the show tried not to make it one by doing a whole "they were madly in love way back when" thing) and especially insta-romances that are created near the end of a series in order to quickly get someone paired off. I don't understand why Jan Nash is apparently choosing to end R&I's seven-season run by pulling apart everything that made the show: Jane moves away to teach at Quantico, Maura decides to give up her medical examiner job and increase her volunteer time at Hope's clinics (we got another reference in this episode about how much Maura is enjoying that) while writing mysteries, Korsak retires, Kent takes over Maura's job, Frankie gets promoted to Jane's, etc. I would have been perfectly happy with this particular show having a series finale that was for the most part just another episode, with a few callbacks and such, and a "and life goes on the way it always has" ending. Unless they're thinking about importing Jane's character cross-network to ABC's Quantico (which would actually be kind of funny, because while I'm not terribly fond of Jane's uber-shouty mode, every character on that show could do with some Rizzoli-style verbal lashing), I just don't see why breaking up the BPD group is necessary.

In addition to the lack of Jane focused shots that I mentioned in the media thread, I agree with the low-key acting. It was particularly noticeable in the Angela/Ron reunion scene, and it and Lorraine Bracco were all the better for it. Angela is typically very grating but there, she was vulnerable and genuinely overwhelmed. It made that scene for me. Same for her earlier scene with Jane, though that one was made with the quiet punch of Angie's 'I love you Ma'.  I also liked Jane's measured response to Maura's secret. She clearly didn't like it, but she also didn't let the squad embarrass her.  Instead she held back until they could talk about it. That is serious maturing in their friendship and I like it.

Maura not being good enough cracked me up. Particularly since the obvious reasoning was that Tilly really didn't like another woman pulling Edward out from under her thumb. So she preferred a debutante to a doctor! That's awesome. I agree about insta-romances but like I've said, this one was there for me. I would love it if in the next ep, Maura said she was meeting him for lunch. I don't want or need a finale shocker-wedding, but a first date or two would be nice. She clearly still liked him so much. The instant physical affection and trust was sweet, and speaks well of the connection they had.

No, no, no! I am almost stamping my foot here at the idea that Maura will give up her medical examiner career to be a 'real' doctor. If forced, I could deal with her leaving to go identify bodies in war zones like Hope or the like, but I am NOT okay with her giving up being a ME. She likes writing and is really enjoying the clinics, but she loves her job. Not just the medical part of it, but she's always seemed to love everything else involved in being the Chief ME like the business parts and dealing with her employees. And unlike Jane, she's always been shown to be able to balance her life and career very well. I agree with you about not wanting massive changes though. Someone ending the show with one is not really surprising and this is Jane's show, but I want everything else to just keep going after the goodbyes.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hate shows that start frantically pairing off virtually every single major and secondary character with a romantic partner as they draw to a close.  I don't automatically hate shows that have their main characters make drastic life changes in the end, as life is full of transitions, but I do require they a) limit that to one or two characters and b) establish a logical reason for it.

I really want Maura to end up with a relationship on the horizon. I don't care if Jane does or not, but for me, Maura has really wanted that in a way that Jane hasn't. It's partially because Jane is still building her career while Maura has already achieved so much she's wanted in hers, but I think it's also that Maura doesn't have Jane's family. Or it could be neither of those. But for me, Maura's happy ending involves love and building that in her future in a way Jane's doesn't. If they would just explain why the hell Jane Rizzoli even considered getting out of the field, I would be fine with her happy ending being new professional challenges.

• Love 2
On 8/18/2016 at 10:51 AM, Scamp said:

Sizzle?  No.  Just another blah man.  Sadly, Jane Rizzoli is fizzling out as a strong, independent woman.  But even after 7 seasons, R&I hasn't found a man who she sizzles for.  Maura Isles, on the other hand?  Rizzles sizzles!

In what way do you believe she is fizzling out as a strong, independent woman?  I see her taking a job with the FBI and moving to a new city and new adventure on her own, all of which makes her seem as strong and independent as ever.

4 hours ago, izabella said:

In what way do you believe she is fizzling out as a strong, independent woman?  I see her taking a job with the FBI and moving to a new city and new adventure on her own, all of which makes her seem as strong and independent as ever.

The FBI job just isn't Jane Rizzoli.  Remember the pros and cons that she and Maura discussed?  There's nothing in the teaching job that appeals to Jane.  She loves action and danger and solving crimes.  And there's no way the Jane Rizzoli of past seasons (even once in awhile now) would leave Maura, her best friend.

• Love 2
On 8/18/2016 at 7:22 PM, Black Knight said:

I would have been perfectly happy with this particular show having a series finale that was for the most part just another episode, with a few callbacks and such, and a "and life goes on the way it always has" ending.

As I recall Law & Order: Criminal Intent's last epi was like this. I liked it.

• Love 2