Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Go Team Seth!  I wanted to like Bryan because of his beard but detested him early on.

I wanted him to lose because of that nasty beard.  And also that gunshot gesture or whatever it was during the opening intros.  I don't know why people persist in thinking they need to be cute or quirky.  Those gimmicky things almost never are.

I got Godzilla, but it had never occurred to me that all you had to do to become an honorary Japanese citizen was crush cars and knock down buildings and squish people, over and over--and then stick around for sixty years waiting for your ceremony.  I would've tried it myself.

• Love 7

I thought of Godzilla, but applied stupid logic (as in, Godzilla was already Japanese, wasn't it?). But then of course, since I didn't actually see any of the movies, Godzilla was probably an illegal immigrant, finally granted a pathway to citizenship.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

In Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, all the boys had biblical names, starting with A.  I wonder if the brides also had biblical names because Dorcas is from the New Testament, and she has a Feast Day in January from the Episcopal Church.  

YMMV, but it drives me nuts when contestants jump all over the board, looking for the Daily Double.  I guess I'm wacky about doing things in order.  My mom was the same way.  She'd yell at the TV at the "jumpers". 

• Love 4

Godzilla is already Japanese, so I thought they were looking for a nonJapanese popular culture figure, like Mickey Mouse.

When I hear "saint" and a reference to decapitation, I think St. Dennis not John the Baptist. I don't think of John the Baptist as a saint. I guess it just seems like overkill when he already has "the Baptist" as a title.

Shallow alert: WTF was the thing on the side of Bryan's mouth? I thiought it was a cut or something but at times seemed free-floating, like hair.

• Love 4

I thought it was some kind of piercing. 

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

But...but...but Seven Frickin Brides for Seven Frickin Brothers has a Dorcas, and I remember that, even though I've only seen SBFSB ninety-eleven times.

I guess y'all are too young :)

I haven't seen it that many times, but I love this movie. I hate to admit I don't remember the brides' names.

I pretty instantly came up with Godzilla for FJ. What was Bryan's answer? Koru or something?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, operalover said:

Goku....I think he  said. Well I got Etruscans and Self Soothing-- which is one of those "alliterative" expressions that I despise. Go self soothe yourself people!

Exactly, "self-soothe" is just a lisp-inducing way to say "chill the fuck out." I like babies who know how to chill the fuck out. :)

• Love 3

The Orioles stadium is called Camden Yards -- not just Camden.  

THIS. It's ridiculous there was no BMS on that one, because his answer was that the Orioles play in a city in New Jersey. And he was ruled correct.

Shallow alert: WTF was the thing on the side of Bryan's mouth? I thought it was a cut or something but at times seemed free-floating, like hair.

I felt shallow as well, but I found that totally distracting.

• Love 4

I thought everyone associated carrots with Vitamin A.

I think the "beta" part of beta-carotene led him down the B path.

I, too, guessed Hello Kitty. I only got the Ticonderoga part, not Dixon. I probably would've gotten a BMS, in which I'd have had a brain fart & totally blown it with "What is Kit Ticonderoga?" How can anyone be a J! viewer and not know "Those Darn Etruscans" ??? Anytime I see the word "Etruscan" (admittedly, not that often) I think "Darn."

• Love 2

And to be technically specific (the best kind of specific), it's actually called 'Oriole Park at Camden Yards'

I always thought this was a stupid and needlessly wordy name.  Pretty much every Orioles fan I know thinks they should've just named it Camden Yards, because that's what everyone calls it.  But hey, at least it's not named for random big corporation which ponied up the money.  So that's something.  And yes, I was yelling "It's Camden Yards, not just Camden, dammit!" at the tv.

Have to say I was surprised that only one guy got Godzilla for FJ.

Godzilla is already Japanese, so I thought they were looking for a nonJapanese popular culture figure, like Mickey Mouse.

Wasn't Godzilla born out in the sea from nuclear radiation?  So maybe technically not Japanese to start with?  But still, pretty much the biggest Japanese-related pop culture figure to come to my mind.

When I hear "saint" and a reference to decapitation, I think St. Dennis not John the Baptist. I don't think of John the Baptist as a saint. I guess it just seems like overkill when he already has "the Baptist" as a title.

John the Baptist is a saint, but yeah it does seem a bit much.  His head on a platter came instantly to mind for that clue, though.  I believe St. Sebastian was pierced by arrows.

And as a very long-time Jeopardy viewer, I giggled a bit at those darned Etruscans.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2016 at 6:56 PM, SeanC said:

I got Final Jeopardy immediately.  I'm not sure what Steinbeck novel Dorcas was thinking of.

Same novel I thought of "Of Mice and Men."  George and Lenny being drifters.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ABay said:

According to the unimpeachable Wikipedia (actually, I really do trust the nerds who supply info to Wikipedia on pop-culture stuff like this), Godzilla was "an enormous, violent, prehistoric sea monster awakened and empowered by nuclear radiation."  So I guess his nationality is debatable.  Japan was where he came ashore, but he could just as easily have gotten irradiated at the Bikini tests, say.  I think he was more of a boat monster than a natural-born citizen.

• Love 5

Pretty good game tonight -- not too many TS that I recall, but the ones I got include polyandry (though I started with polygamy), Zesta (and I couldn't believe no one else got that after Seth missed), Kinshasa and Amstel.  For the 4th force, I said gravity instead of gravitational force.  Hopefully they would have accepted it.

FJ was an instaget for me.  Amazing that two of them missed it.

• Love 3

Go Seth!  Although he seemed a bit tired.  I'm so glad Sharren didn't win with her weird pauses and slow selection of clues.  Sala did a good job.

It was a good game but what the hell was up with the three BMS chances Alex gave Seth on that one clue?

I got Zesta probably because I just bought some.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 5

Sharren got credit for "polylingual," which is an adjective, not a noun, when they were going for "polyglot," which does mean a person who speaks multiple languages.  I know I need medication for this, but it really annoys me when answers that don't satisfy the clue in some fundamental way get a pass if they're within shouting distance of the actually correct answer.  Maybe in addition to BMS we need a POS prompt, for "part of speech."  Or that other POS thing.

• Love 8

Seth, Sharren and Sala?  The alliteration would have pleased me.

I didn't watch and forgot to tape it, I'll have to check the archive tomorrow to see if I would get FJ.  But another night with a 33% success rate?  Oy.

• Love 2

Sharren got credit for "polylingual," which is an adjective, not a noun, when they were going for "polyglot," which doesmean a person who speaks multiple languages.  I know I need medication for this, but it really annoys me when answers that don't satisfy the clue in some fundamental way get a pass if they're within shouting distance of the actually correct answer.  Maybe in addition to BMS we need a POS prompt, for "part of speech."  Or that other POS thing.

So much word to this. I was yelling "polyglot! noun!" to my unresponsive TV.

I got Kinshasa and Zesta. FJ wasn't an instaget until I read it myself and caught the 1962 part.

I like that Seth is winning but they're not runaways.

• Love 4

I also said 'polyglot'. On the other clue, I wish Alex had explained what specifically why polyandry was the required answer.

I can't remember if Zesta was the only TS I got.

FJ came to me right away, though I wasn't absolutely positive it was right.

Seth is doing pretty good. I'm rooting for him.

• Love 2

FJ was not just an instaget in our house, it was personal - the mister was one of the early graduates of the program.

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I also said 'polyglot'. On the other clue, I wish Alex had explained what specifically why polyandry was the required answer.

I assumed it was because the birds were one female and two male mates, the typical definition of polyandry (for any species). A system I've always thought made way more sense than polygamy. ;) 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I ran the Richard category...I love first-name categories...and then blanked on FJ, mainly because I didn't understand the question, uh, answer. But Mr. Author (who really is an author with more books published than moi) got it in plenty of time. I told him he wasn't just a pretty face.

• Love 2

close game partly because they missed both DDs in DJ.  Glad to see a game where the third place contestant is still in striking distance of the lead.

I thought FJ was pretty easy to guess, and was surprised the women both missed it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I kind of figured that, but I think with the two wrong guesses from Seth, it would have been nice for Alex to say what the difference was betw them.

I thought you might have, my nod to that got lost in a revision, sorry. I think you are right, an explanation would have been nice. Especially an explanation of why polyamory wouldn't have fit - I think it fit the question as well.

• Love 2

For FJ it was not quite an insta-get as I first thought "aerospace engineering" but then I changed my answer to Computer Science and I was sure that was going to be correct. 

I was also yelling Polyglot and mad they accepted Polylingual. I use the Duolingo app to learn languages and you can earn a Lingot if you do well..so maybe she should have said PolyLingot. They probably would have taken that! at least it is a noun.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Pretty good game tonight -- not too many TS that I recall, but the ones I got include polyandry (though I started with polygamy), Zesta (and I couldn't believe no one else got that after Seth missed), Kinshasa and Amstel.  For the 4th force, I said gravity instead of gravitational force.  Hopefully they would have accepted it.

FJ was an instaget for me.  Amazing that two of them missed it.

I got all of those (except for the FJ) wrong.  Polyandry and Zesta I knew but just couldn't come up with in time.  Kinshasa would never have come up in my brain - my knowledge of Sub-Saharan African capitals is really rusty.  But I am deeply ashamed about the Amstel because: a) I've been to Amsterdam, b) I know a lot about the Netherlands due to an interest in European history and European football, and c) I have been known to drink Amstel Light on occasion.

• Love 2

Well, dammit. My local station really knows how to screw its Jeopardy! fans.  Apparently for the duration of football season (or at least the duration of Thursday night football), I'm going to be a day behind for Thursday Jeopardy! and never get to see Friday's games.  I will have to "watch" vicariously through y'all and hope j-archive gets updated.

• Love 2

The archive hasn't been updated yet from yesterday and I couldn't watch tonight either because the demon cat was at the vet (double ear infection, for a totally indoor kitty.  Poor thing).  I'm setting the DVR now so I don't miss tomorrow.

Glad to see Seth won again though, I like him.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Congrats to Seth.  The way he's going, he'll pay off his student loans in no time.

Thanks for wasting so much time yakking about Canada during the interviews, Alex, so the first round board wasn't cleared.  I'm sick of hearing about it.

I got "The Wild, Wild West", McKinley, jamb and Samoan.

I guessed Anthony and Cleopatra for FJ but realized too late to write it down that it was Aida.

Just when I said I was glad there'd been no runaways...

I'm not happy with Seth getting away with only "Thomas" for the St. Jude's clue.

For TS I got Grandparents and Wild Wild West, and the jamb DD.

If it's Egypt, the answer is always AIDA. 

Always! I missed Alex reading the clue and just looked over to the screen, saw "The Nile" and instaget.

• Love 4

What else could the fine print word puzzle have been? Alex hesitated and then said that they would accept it as if it wasn't what they were going for, I guess small print is also used but I have heard fine print more.

• Love 3

I got The Wild Wild West, grandparents, salver, and jamb. 

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If it's Egypt, the answer is always AIDA. 

After I said Aida and it was revealed to be correct, my BIL was incredulous that I knew it. I said that I learned it from Jeopardy. They've drilled Aida+Egypt into my brain.

9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm not happy with Seth getting away with only "Thomas" for the St. Jude's clue.

ITA. I'm sure Seth knew it was Danny Thomas, but he really should have been asked BMS.

• Love 5

Why?  Why, oh dog, why couldn't that have been my FJ?!?!?!?!?  Seriously, I'd have cut a bitch for that category.

I'm not keen on runaway games, but like Seth okay.  My mother dislikes him enough to turn Jeopardy off last night because "he knows too much stuff that nobody should know"; I told her that knowing stuff other people don't know is how you get on Jeopardy.

• Love 9

I like Seth a lot, so don't get too used to him. We all know what happens when one of us mentions liking a contestant!

I have enjoyed this season so far. They can bring back the ballpark foods category anytime they want. 

• Love 2

Maybe Elena reads online Jeopardy! boards because she followed the advice often given (here and elsewhere).  When trailing considerably late in the game she found the DD and bet big, thereby giving herself a shot at winning and making the game more interesting.

I was shocked (shocked!) by Seth's FJ wager of $0.  Mostly because I wouldn't have done that.  Maybe that's why Seth is a five-time winner and I'm just another online commenter.  (I didn't get FJ either.)

Alex informed the audience that African Geography is one of his favorite categories.  Who knew?

• Love 6

Charlie was quite handsome aside from the Doc Brown hairdon't. Also, I did not get FJ. Back in college I knew a lot about African geography, but even in the last 15 years it has changed somewhat, and my brain just forgot everything rather than try to adjust.

• Love 5

So glad that there was a BMS for Seth in that Jack Johnson clue.  What is Johnson -- are you kidding me ?

I was so glad when Elena did that late round TDD, I was hoping she would parlay that into a win.

I found FJ to be pretty easy.

55 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Alex informed the audience that African Geography is one of his favorite categories.  Who knew?

Didn't AT say a couple of episodes that the musk ox was one of his favorite animals ?

• Love 3