Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Pallida said:

It's too bad the clue writers didn't actually read the article with the list so they could have been more accurate. 

What are they going to use next as a shitty source for a clue ?  According to Buzzfeed, this was number 17 in the Top 53 list of wackiest European monarchs ?

• Love 8

Growing up in Western New York, I learned the following things about history: the most important war in U.S. history was the War of 1812, Mark Twain was the greatest American author ever, and the only 4 presidents you need to know are Grover Cleveland, Millard Fillmore , William McKinley, and Teddy Roosevelt. Also, Tesla rules, Edison drools. 

• Love 8

Thank goodness Brandon didn't win. Apparently there's no one in the entire production who could tell him to use his inside voice.

I don't think Christine should have gotten that DD. It asked for "the pair", not the name of the play. Haven't other contestants been dinged for giving too much info in an answer?

For TS I got Paisley Park, Wesley Snipes and Matthew Henson. Drew a blank on FJ. I guess I'm a bigger fan of King's books than the movies.

I wasn't a fan of Siddharth's in his first win but his smile at the end of this one won me over.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Speaking of terrible Stephen King movies, they actually made a movie of 'Cell' that was released on July 8, 2016 -- straight to video in North America, and limited foreign release.  It opened for one weekend in the UK, showed in 2 theaters and made $51 USD.  Though it apparently made 6 figures in Italy, Turkey, Mexico and Russia.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=cell2016.htm

Big fan of King - that book? Not so much. I think I remembered seeing that it was being made into a movie (but didn't read any further), and my basic reaction was "Why?" Love him, but he doesn't always knock it out of the park. The number of good movies made from his books is pretty small in comparison to the total number of adaptations.

I also thought there should have been a BMS on the James Caan question.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Big fan of King - that book? Not so much. I think I remembered seeing that it was being made into a movie (but didn't read any further), and my basic reaction was "Why?" Love him, but he doesn't always knock it out of the park. The number of good movies made from his books is pretty small in comparison to the total number of adaptations.

Agreed. If this had been a list of good Stephen King movies, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the top 25.  

Also a big fan of his books here, not so much a fan of a lot of the film/TV adaptations.

• Love 2
On ‎09‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, ClareWalks said:

What the HELL was that FJ? Instaget. I said Stephen King immediately. I cannot believe not one of these folks guessed Stephen King. Nicholas Sparks?! Seriously?!

I am deeply ashamed that John Grisham was my first thought and Nicholas Sparks my second.  I think I need therapy.

I got Matthew Henson.

I always get the Matthew right but, like PaulaO, always say Peery instead.  It's some kind of mental block.

It seems Siddharth (from Herndon, Virginia) doesn't get caught up in the DC-area panda fandom.

I can honestly say that the only reason I got this one is thinking of Beyoncé (Bey).

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Excellent game today! At first I thought it was going to be a Seth runaway, but Dorcas gave him a run for his money until the end.

The one TS that surprised me was Jack Benny. True, he was before their time, but so were Abbott and Costello, Laugh-in, and Bob Hope.

• Love 3

I missed Siddarth's shows last week, and now I'm kind of glad I did.  I'm also glad he lost tonight.  I was tired of him before he even answered anything.

TS I got were Bic, Dixon Ticonderoga, Pakistan, Vitamin A, and Jack Benny.  FJ was obvious to me.  No idea what Dorcas was thinking.

And now I want to hear Seth laugh like a broken pig.

• Love 3

Though Seth was on fire early on, I have a couple of issues.

Who is Johnson ?  For a President.  Arggh !!

Who is Collins ?  For an author.  How about Jackie Collins ?  Sure, she didn't write young adult lit, but still.

There should have been at least 2 BMS before the 1st break.

That 'Office Supplying' category was just ..... odd.  On a couple of clues I wasn't quite sure what they were looking for as an answer.

That Algeria DD in the DJ round was Teen Tournament level at best.  DDs are supposed to be MORE challenging.

FJ was pretty easy -- I spat out Kerouac before AT finished reading the clue.

• Love 4

Congrats to Seth on his win.

I enjoyed the game but I wasn't really working too hard at playing it.

8 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That Algeria DD in the DJ round was Teen Tournament level at best.

Fairly recently (maybe the reruns of the tournaments?) Algeria was an answer to FJ on being the largest country in Africa so it came to me right away tonight.

My ts's were Pakistan, Vitamin A and Jack Benny.

Instaget FJ.

Maybe Dorcas was thinking of Travels with Charley when she said Steinbeck.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Trey said:

Congrats to Seth on his win.

Maybe Dorcas was thinking of Travels with Charley when she said Steinbeck.

Mr. Sierra said Steinbeck, too, for Of Mice And Men.  I knew that wasn't right but couldn't come up with Kerouac.

I thought everyone associated carrots with Vitamin A.

• Love 1

I like Seth, but Dorcas was impressive, too.  I'm glad Siddharth is gone.

I agree about the two BMS, @ottoDbusdriver.  Very sloppy.

I got Bic, Krispy Kremes (although I wouldn't call donuts an office supply), Dixon Ticonderoga, real estate, Watts Towers, Vitamin A and Jack Benny.

For FJ, I also said Steinbeck.  I was thinking of Of Mice and Men.  I was a decade off (and wrong).

• Love 3

Siddharth's story was that he once drank civet coffee.

The World’s Most Expensive Coffee Is a Cruel Cynical Scam

For the most part, civet coffee is not harvested in the wild in limited quantities but mass produced by animals kept in appalling conditions — it's high time we stopped drinking it

The Disturbing Secret Behind the World’s Most Expensive Coffee

Kopi luwak is made from coffee beans plucked from civets’ feces. This is bad news for civets.

Every time I heard "Dorcas," well,

But I also read up on the name (if Wikipedia counts).

• Love 4

I am terrible with authors and I got FJ so fast that I spent the rest of the time second-guessing myself, because I rarely get them right.

Agree that Algeria was way too easy for a DD.

I can excuse the lack of BMS with Johnson since a year was specified in the clue, some 100 years after Andrew Johnson died, but Collins definitely warranted a BMS.

• Love 3

Wow, Seth really took off with the game. I'm glad Dorcas finally got in it. (I was surprised that my sister didn't know Dorcas was a name from the Bible. Maybe it's not that familiar to all Christians, but at my late husband's church, the part of the Bible that she was in was mentioned regularly for some reason.)

I was ashamed that I didn't get all of the George Clooney clues. I 'knew' the answers, but I just couldn't come up with the titles. Seth was so quick. Makes sense since he's studying theater or something.

I think the TSs I got were Pakistan, Vitamin A, Jack Benny, real estate, and Watts Towers. I was having trouble spitting out Ticonderoga.

In the Krispy Kreme clue, what was the bit about 'smirk and wink'? Is it a pun? I don't get it.

I blew it on FJ. Kerouac came to me, but I've never read it and didn't think hitchhiking was part of it. I just thought a couple of guys drove a car somewhere. I settled on Beckett, thinking of Waiting for Godot. I know there was no hitchhiking in it, but the clue suggested it to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

I got Final Jeopardy immediately.  I'm not sure what Steinbeck novel Dorcas was thinking of.

Probably the same one I was - Of Mice and Men - I knew it wasn't right, and had even watched a documentary with Kerouac in it just an hour before. Sheesh.

Instead of "cheeks" in the body parts category, "balls" came into my head and I couldn't get past it. My mind is in the gutter today.

• Love 2

I used to have a hairstylist named Dorca, so I spent the whole game wondering where the contestant's extra "s" came from :-)

My TS were Krispy Kreme, Ticonderoga and Pakistan, and I got the Vitamin A DD.

Seth was told TMI for going beyond Vichy but the Rosencrantz answer yesterday wasn't dinged? Yes I'm still bitter about that.

FJ was an instaget.

Instead of "cheeks" in the body parts category, "balls" came into my head and I couldn't get past it. My mind is in the gutter today.

And I'm sitting right next to you in that gutter.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, opus said:

I at least knew when  FJ was Authors, the answer would be a man.

Yep. Because white men are the default and everything else needs an adjective so you know what you're dealing with, right? People on this show can't figure out that the clue is about a woman, even if the word "she" is in the clue unless they are explicitly told the category is Women Authors. The fact that this show has been so unwilling to hear the criticism about this and make changes turns me off of wanting to watch. 

• Love 3

I at least knew when  FJ was Authors, the answer would be a man.

Has the answer ever been a woman if the category is just Authors? I have to start paying attention. 

And, really, are the writers even trying anymore with FJ.  Way too easy.

• Love 3

Who is Johnson ?  For a President.  Arggh !!

Last season's TOC winner, Alex, got two of these in the same category about Presidents in one of his regular games (Adams and Roosevelt).  Then shortly afterward came the infamous Kit Carson bms.  I've given up on consistency regard proper names ever since.

I missed a whole category at the beginning of the show due to cat medicine issues.  I hate when that happens.  But I got FJ and most of the stumpers, although I couldn't for the life of me remember where they spoke Urdu (I said Iran - the guy's name did not help at all) and couldn't manage to come up with Abbott & Costello in time.

I was ashamed that I didn't get all of the George Clooney clues.

There was a George Clooney category?!?!?!?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Apparently, Smirk and Wink are two types of donuts that KK sells.  I had no idea.

http://www.krispykreme.com/menu/doughnuts/smirk-doughnut

http://www.krispykreme.com/menu/Doughnuts/wink-doughnut

I hate Krispy Kreme donuts (just taste like lard to me) so no wonder I didn't get that one.  Or the Dixon Ticonderoga pencil.  So apparently I didn't do was well with the triple stumpers as I thought.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Instead of "cheeks" in the body parts category, "balls" came into my head and I couldn't get past it.

Balls came to my head immediately, too, and I wasn't trying to be funny. For a second I wondered if it would have been accepted, but of course it wouldn't since the clue referenced a quote.

• Love 4

There sure was, and I thought for a moment that I was having one of my "I win thousands playing Jeopardy because all of the categories are about men I love" dreams. Then they revealed the next category and I was like… oh, guess I'm awake. Still, it was the first squee of the young season. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Last season's TOC winner, Alex, got two of these in the same category about Presidents in one of his regular games (Adams and Roosevelt).  Then shortly afterward came the infamous Kit Carson bms.  I've given up on consistency regard proper names ever since.

Man, I would have sworn Carsongate was years ago.  I even went to the archive to check, and of course you're right (April 2015 if anyone cares).  Sure felt like longer--I guess that's what we get for running it into the ground...heh.  

Interesting to see that there's pretty much one Kit Carson question per season, and more often than not they're missed.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rubaco said:

There sure was, and I thought for a moment that I was having one of my "I win thousands playing Jeopardy because all of the categories are about men I love" dreams. Then they revealed the next category and I was like… oh, guess I'm awake. Still, it was the first squee of the young season. 

Of course that was the category I missed while attempting to create a cat-sized dose of Pepcid.

• Love 2

When I saw that I thought it was going to be a Cliff Clavin run of categories but sadly just the one category.  Though, I didn't remember the name of the recent movie he did with Julia Roberts. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Has the answer ever been a woman if the category is just Authors? I have to start paying attention. 

And, really, are the writers even trying anymore with FJ.  Way too easy.

Yes!

The Final Jeopardy question (5/6/2016) in the category “Authors” was:

She wrote in her journal in 1867 that a publisher “asked me to write a girls book. Said I’d try.”

That's the one I remember because we were rejoicing about it.

• Love 2

Yikes.  Normally finding the two Daily Doubles that close to the end is a good thing (I got John the Baptist right, but not Seoul).

Edit: I had no clue about Final Jeopardy.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1

The Orioles stadium is called Camden Yards -- not just Camden.   A BMS was badly needed for this clue, because it asked for the ballpark.
And to be technically specific (the best kind of specific), it's actually called 'Oriole Park at Camden Yards'.

FJ was pretty easy -- the 60 years portion of the clue was the giveaway since Hello Kitty isn't that old.

Rachel really crashed and burned at the end of DJ.

• Love 7

I was so scared Bryan would win and I'd have to boycott until he got beaten. I'm just getting back in the Jeopardy! groove after sitting out the tournament repeats.

I don't know which made me happier: that Godzilla was a FJ or that I got it right!

Damn, Rachel. That was embarrassing.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Grrr...  I had to go out this evening and my DVR crapped out on me and didn't record!  What was FJ?

"Pop Culture Characters," something like "This character was granted honorary citizenship in 2015 after being in Japan for 60 years." Answer: Godzilla. I got the answer but a bit too late :(

• Love 2