Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Poor Matt LeBlanc LOL.

I didn't hear the S on the end of Afrikaans, and reminding players of phrasing in the Double Jeopardy round is not supposed to happen.

Don't be like Trump; don't buy signed Tebow memorabilia.

I liked the military woman except for her Dian Fossey miss.

The new champ reminds me a bit of--I had to look up the name--Brian Posehn.

I got a Louis CK vibe from him, even in his voice. That may be because I just saw the Power Players episode from last week.

• Love 2

Two good players today.  Barbara made the common mistake of wagering too conservatively on her DD late in the game.  (Easy for me to say sitting at home, I know).

I got FJ immediately, but I am a nerd  about  this kind of thing.

• Love 3

On the Swedish Nobel Prize answer , AT asked Scott to phrase it , but I rewound a few times and it sounded like he said What is the first time as well . 

Poor Matt LeBlanc as well . I knew with five questions in the category, one would be left out , but hoped that they would put him in a different category so he would still be included in the game .

• Love 4

On the Swedish Nobel Prize answer , AT asked Scott to phrase it , but I rewound a few times and it sounded like he said What is the first time as well . 

I heard it as well; he just swallowed it a little. 

It was a much better game today. I'm glad Scott won because he was just so stoked to be there (without being too weird about it). Figured the champ would be a one and done.

I totally guessed on 2 of the TS -- Navajo and Chevrolet -- and yay they were right.

• Love 3

I totally guessed on 2 of the TS -- Navajo and Chevrolet -- and yay they were right.

I got Chevy purely on luck, but would never have come up with Navajo.  Clearly I wasted all that time reading Tony Hillerman novels.

I didn't hear the S on the end of Afrikaans

I didn't either, and wondered if I'd been pronouncing it wrong all these years.  Maybe it's one of those words with more than one acceptable pronunciation?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, rereader2 said:

I thought he said "Is it" on that Nobel Prize question, but it could have been "What is" partially swallowed.

There was a contestant a while back who routinely answered with "Is it..?" and it was always accepted. Apparently it only needs to be phrased as a question, but how you make it a question doesn't matter. People can also say "what is" for a person, e.g. "what is Obama".

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't either, and wondered if I'd been pronouncing it wrong all these years.  Maybe it's one of those words with more than one acceptable pronunciation?

I tried to google it and none of the audio links were working for me, but I don't think the "s" is silent in any variation.

• Love 3

I live in a college town where the university has a language learning institute that draws in many Saudi students.  The Chevy SS is quite popular among those students, so I see them daily.  One even has SS as a license plate - and I have a hard time not thinking of Nazi Germany when I see it.

• Love 2

For the question on where McKinley was shot I was urgently trying to recall the recurring line in "The Ballad of Czolgosz" from Sondheim's Assassins ("...in Buffalo!"), but failed.

Scott would have known the answer to FJ wasn't Purgatory if he has read the other parts of The Divine Comedy.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, teebax said:

I got a Louis CK vibe from him, even in his voice. That may be because I just saw the Power Players episode from last week.

This is funny, given one of today's video clues!

Some of the TS's I got: silhouette, drafting, Stockholm, Finland. I'm kind of surprised no one changed outfits before taping; they were all dressed alike!

ETA: New season, new board-filling noises, same ol' "Women Authors."

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

There was a contestant a while back who routinely answered with "Is it..?" and it was always accepted. Apparently it only needs to be phrased as a question, but how you make it a question doesn't matter. People can also say "what is" for a person, e.g. "what is Obama".

Oh, I know! That's why I was surprised, because I was pretty sure I heard him phrase it in the form of a question.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I wonder if they would have accepted Monte Carlo.  My husband and I said that at the same time when they showed the Earnhardt toy car.

That's what DH said too.  I had no clue.

My only ts's were Silhouette and Waterloo, both of which I was surprised nobody got.

I said purgatory for FJ, I forgot about limbo.

Congrats to the new champ; he seems pretty sharp and I didn't notice any off-putting behaviour:) I liked Scott but purgatory did him in.

• Love 2

I liked Scott.  He seemed to be having a genuinely good time, even enjoying the other contestants' stories.  I was surprised that Alex didn't point out the obvious resemblance to Louis C.K.

The new champ did something today that looked odd to me.  I won't mention it unless he does it again tomorrow.  I read too many mysteries, probably.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was surprised that Alex didn't point out the obvious resemblance to Louis C.K.

Thank you! Mentioned it to the mister, and he didn't see it.

I got Silhouette primarily because in second grade I was so very proud I could spell and define the word.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, SeanC said:

For the question on where McKinley was shot I was urgently trying to recall the recurring line in "The Ballad of Czolgosz" from Sondheim's Assassins ("...in Buffalo!"), but failed.

Scott would have known the answer to FJ wasn't Purgatory if he has read the other parts of The Divine Comedy.

I had no idea McKinley was shot in Buffalo, so I have learned something from Jeopardy.  And I knew Purgatorio was a section of the Divine Comedy (I thought it was the first part but apparently not) but 'limbo' didn't seem 14th century enough.  I said it, but was sure it was wrong.

My only ts's were Silhouette and Waterloo, both of which I was surprised nobody got.

I was shouting "Waterloo, you idiots!" at the tv but apparently they couldn't hear me.  I'm a big Napoleonic Wars buff, although more for the British Navy than for the army.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was shouting "Waterloo, you idiots!" at the tv but apparently they couldn't hear me.  I'm a big Napoleonic Wars buff, although more for the British Navy than for the army.

I was the biggest idiot of them all - I totally blanked even though I stayed in Waterloo for an entire week for business a ways back.

• Love 2

I had no idea McKinley was shot in Buffalo,

I didn't learn it from Sondheim, but from reading Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation" - a road trip of Presidential assassination sites.

New champ = can't stand. He began his "fun fact" story with "So..." 

I guess Cherokee for the Indian language, as Sequoyah developed a written alphabet for their language.  (When you visit Cherokee, NC, the street signs are in English and Cherokee.)  I, too, must have wasted my time reading Tony Hillerman. LOL.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Ron Weasley was not the 6th in his family to attend Hogwarts.   He was the 5th child, or the 7th to attend if you count his parents.  Or did I misinterpret the clue?

All I can figure is the clue meant 6th in line of the Weasley children: Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron.  Ginny would be 7th.

• Love 2

Future contestants need to learn from Siddharth today (Friday).  WHen you are in a distant third place going into FJ but numbers 1 and 2 have to wager to protect against eash other. you bet small.  You still lose most of the time, but sometimes, like today, you can luck into a win.

Earlier this week we had a situation where the distant third place guy bet everything.  Siddharth played it right.

Some interesting clues today and many I did not know.  However, I got FJ.

• Love 6

I have missed this forum where Sondheim and Sarah Vowell get cited so easily.  He is one of the few people I ever wrote a fan letter to (back in long ago college days) and for her 1st book, I pulled off the road to call in a pledge to my NPR station to make sure I got an autographed copy.

• Love 5

No lie, when Alex read FJ I was holding a stack of Stephen King books in my hand.  (The demon cat who lives in this house is CONSTANTLY pulling a few of them off the shelf so he can sleep back there.  He never puts them back.)

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

What the HELL was that FJ? Instaget. I said Stephen King immediately. I cannot believe not one of these folks guessed Stephen King. Nicholas Sparks?! Seriously?!

I also said Nicholas Sparks - thought process was basically an author with a lot of books made into movies who is still alive.

Stephen King seems obvious in retrospect, but he didn't occur to me at the time.

I was surprised that nobody got Kosovo, though. I thought that one was pretty easy. I enjoyed the 1999 category. I also enjoyed the reminder of just how long ago CSI premiered (from the Las Vegas category).

• Love 4

John Grisham popped into my head right away and I didn't change it, mostly because he was the only writer I could think of whose books have been turned into movies and who is still alive.  If I had thought of Stephen King, I would have gone with him.

Smart wagering and some mighty good luck keep Siddarth alive.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

What the HELL was that FJ? Instaget. I said Stephen King immediately. I cannot believe not one of these folks guessed Stephen King. Nicholas Sparks?! Seriously?!

I said J. K. Rowling -- she's had eight (and soon to be nine) films made from her books.  Seems like she should be on that list somewhere!

• Love 2

I can't believe that creepy Siddharth won again, but I'm sure glad Brandon lost.  His wife is from Romania and he didn't get Kosovo?  Obviously, I was rooting for Christine.

I got saliva, Kosovo and Paisley Park.  James Caan should definitely have been a BMS as he could have meant Scott or Kit Caan.

I guessed J. K. Rowling for FJ.

• Love 3

They'd have to take me out behind the lobstah pound and shoot me if I'd missed Stephen King.  Among other things, the Home Depot where I used to shop before they put one in closer to my house is on Stephen King Drive.  He's kind of a demigod in this state.

I got Matthew Henson.

Really sorry Christine didn't win.  That was a pretty impressive surge while it was happening.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't even consider JK Rowling after the fact but I suppose it's as good a guess as any we saw. Grisham and Nicholas Sparks both have maybe ten films each, while Stephen King has dozens, most of them terrible but oh well ;) 

Speaking of terrible Stephen King movies, they actually made a movie of 'Cell' that was released on July 8, 2016 -- straight to video in North America, and limited foreign release.  It opened for one weekend in the UK, showed in 2 theaters and made $51 USD.  Though it apparently made 6 figures in Italy, Turkey, Mexico and Russia.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=cell2016.htm

14 hours ago, vibeology said:

"Women Authors" in the first week of the new season. I guess none of the complaints stuck. 

It was also in the last episode of Season 32, so that puts it twice in 6 consecutive games.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

I said J. K. Rowling -- she's had eight (and soon to be nine) films made from her books.  Seems like she should be on that list somewhere!

I was curious and so looked up the list. She's not even close :P Neither is Nicholas Sparks, who has 11 according to IMDb.

At least, I assume this is the list they were referring to. I don't remember the wording of the clue exactly.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/03/23/the_most_adapted_authors_revised_and_expanded_edition_infographic.html

• Love 1

As posted, here's the slate.com list. I think it's kind of BS to use this article in a FJ. Maybe it wouldn't affect the standings that much, but it includes "not just major film adaptations, but also limited release films, television series and in some rare cases even video games" whereas the clue is "Film Adaptations: In a 2011 slate.com survey of movie credits, of the top 25 most adapted writers, this novelist is the only one living." Bold mine.

It seems Siddharth (from Herndon, Virginia) doesn't get caught up in the DC-area panda fandom.

• Love 3
On 9/15/2016 at 7:24 PM, SeanC said:

Because of the song, I shouted Buffalo very loudly. 

I was really surprised none of the three got King. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

No lie, when Alex read FJ I was holding a stack of Stephen King books in my hand.  (The demon cat who lives in this house is CONSTANTLY pulling a few of them off the shelf so he can sleep back there.  He never puts them back.)

Pet Semetary by chance? I had a nightmare when I was young about the cat on the cover of my dad's copy. 

I went with Stephen King but started to worry because I couldn't remember how many of the adaptations were "movies" versus tv specials or miniseries. It's too bad the clue writers didn't actually read the article with the list so they could have been more accurate. 

• Love 4