Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Skinny, Pt. 1

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Except....(and I can't believe that I'm actually going to sympathize with Whitney here, and not trying to dismiss what you're saying, Totogirl), you don't need alcohol or cigarettes to live, but you do need food to live, which makes the addictions different. Imagine if you said to an alcoholic, "You can have any type of alcohol except scotch," or to someone addicted to cigarettes, "You can have any type of cigarette except for Marlboro".

Kerryn could give up alcohol and cigarettes and move on. She isn't still using "some" types of alcohol or cigarettes.

All the more reason Whitney needs professional help with her food addiction.

Yebbut - I don't think anyone gets to 400, 500, 600 pounds by eating grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. Virtually anyone who's a food addict is addict to the junk food, and nobody needs junk food to live. It's not food that's the problem. It's junk food. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, okerry said:

Yebbut - I don't think anyone gets to 400, 500, 600 pounds by eating grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. Virtually anyone who's a food addict is addict to the junk food, and nobody needs junk food to live. It's not food that's the problem. It's junk food. 

But you have to eat, whether it is good food, or junk food.  Like...you can't quit eating cold turkey, like you could quit smoking cold turkey (did it) or drinking cold turkey. Maybe I should have said drinking wild turkey (did it).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

But you have to eat, whether it is good food, or junk food.  Like...you can't quit eating cold turkey, like you could quit smoking cold turkey (did it) or drinking cold turkey. Maybe I should have said drinking wild turkey (did it).

But look at it this way - we all have to drink. Without fluids, we die even faster than we do without food. So it's not the act of drinking that's Kerryn's problem - it's her addictive need for alcoholic beverages.  Any time she's thirsty, or angry, or lonely or tired, she has to make a conscious effort to reach for the sparkling water or iced tea or orange juice, even if she's sitting in a restaurant watching a waiter serve alcohol to everyone around her, while an ad for Coors plays on the TV in the bar.  Likewise Whitney has to eat, and has an addictive need for junk food,  and is faced with a similar challenge to Kerryn's in needing to learn to reject the over-processed crap she craves in favor of healthy options -- even when everyone at the table is ordering Blooming Onion Rings, and there's a Domino's Pizza ad playing on the TV in the bar.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

But look at it this way - we all have to drink. Without fluids, we die even faster than we do without food. So it's not the act of drinking that's Kerryn's problem - it's her addictive need for alcoholic beverages.  Any time she's thirsty, or angry, or lonely or tired, she has to make a conscious effort to reach for the sparkling water or iced tea or orange juice, even if she's sitting in a restaurant watching a waiter serve alcohol to everyone around her, while an ad for Coors plays on the TV in the bar.  Likewise Whitney has to eat, and has an addictive need for junk food,  and is faced with a similar challenge to Kerryn's in needing to learn to reject the over-processed crap she craves in favor of healthy options -- even when everyone at the table is ordering Blooming Onion Rings, and there's a Domino's Pizza ad playing on the TV in the bar.

Exactly, you have to eliminate foods that trigger a binge.  That is sobriety for a food addict.  I would think that a giant cookie is a binge-trigger and we know our Whitney does not avoid those.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 5
On 8/16/2016 at 12:39 PM, PityFree said:

I wonder about another season. What are they going to show??? Her life is already so uninteresting that all the activities she does now are show driven. There is no way she would have organized a dance-a-thon, done a ballroom dance thing, had an internship, been in the parade, etc. without the producers setting things up.  Even the Big Girls' Dance class is only for the show. Without the show giving her things to do, we'd get a season that was 10 hours of Vit sitting on her couch while she orders pizza using a fake voice and name.  

If you stuck with the show, and watched this season, Season 5, you'd really know uninteresting.