Type keyword(s) to search

The Medal Count: Digging for Gold in Rio

And Britain go up to third in the medal table, with the gold in the Men's Team Pursuit. World record set as well, and Bradley Wiggins becomes Britain's most decorated Olympian.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

We're adding one more gold to our tally today, in women's rowing. Was expected because those two girls were the favorites. Another gold is coming but Dorian van Rijsselberghe doesn't have it yet officially. He can't be caught by the competition in wind surfing with one more race to go. He did the same at the London Olympics, which is wicked impressive.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 2

Jut before Day One of the Games started, the official broadcaster here in Australia showed a predicted medals table .It had Australia in about 4th with 17 Gold. When I saw it, I thought to myself that's a little bit ambitious and couldn't see how we could achieve that. My personal goal was to get 9 Golds just to beat the Gold Medal haul from London. Honstely don't know where we could get 4 more Golds from to beat London. But now I think I'm lowering my expectations to 'Just get enough Golds to stay ahead of Phelps on the table'

I think I was spoiled with some quick early Golds that now it feels like it has been ages since our last one. I confess it may be my fault cause at one stage we had no silvers and I was wanting some silvers and now it seems that is all we are getting.

• Love 2

Sure does! China and the USA kick our butts at least partly because of their significantly larger populations. Having said that, though, we do have a really large team for a pretty small country because we're a bit sports-obsessed.

• Love 1

An amazing surprise from the velodrome in the form of a gold medal for Elis Ligtlee in the Keirin(our very first gold ever in a sprinting event), that was such a gutsy ride from her and I can't believe it paid off! Also a bronze from the men's eight in rowing to add to our tally today and it's not over yet with chances in the pool and on the track. It's a good day for the Dutch so far :)

• Love 3

Seriously, did the Canadian men just all go to the bar upon arrival and not show up for their events? How in the hell does Canada have 11 medals, and not a single penis among them?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

Seriously, did the Canadian men just all go to the bar upon arrival and not show up for their events? How in the hell does Canada have 11 medals, and not a single penis among them?

(laugh)  It is getting kind of amusing now. but it is very simple. 

1: 1/2 of those medals came from the Pool. 
we could have had 1 male medal from there but he was just edged out by everyone's favourite boyfriend Nathan Adrian (thanks a lot y'all :P ;) )

The girls really have been amazing and the CBC highlighted a lot of reasons why - the new national swimming centre is in Toronto (a gift from hosting the pan am games) they did pump a lot of money into the programme, and something I DIDN'T know, was they actually hired a new swimming coach that has an emphasis on the sprints - which we're now seeing the results. the US men still have a huge strangle hold on that, but we should see some difference in Tokyo. 

2: Most of our guy events are in the 2nd week
Canoe/Kayak, track and field, etc. 

3: Rowing Canada screwed up big. 
they split up the mens 8 boat, to two boats (men sculls, and mens 4). but they didn't do well (this is an utter understatement). 

but yah i am surprised that out of eleven we don't have one male medal yet. 

• Love 4

We can officially count Dorian van Rijsselberghe's gold medal in windsurfing, an event he also won in 2012. He was already certain of the gold before the medal race, but ended the tournament in style by also winning the medal race, in front of the King and Queen(she's Argentinian so the hockey game between the Dutch and Argentina should be fun in their household haha).

• Love 1

Holy crap.  Great Britain has moved level with China in the medal table, with the three golds today. And will go ahead of them when either Jason Kenny or Callum Skinner wins gold in the individual sprint cycling, later. And Andy Murray in the tennis final.

I'm sure China will end up comfortably ahead, but it's still a hell of achievement for the British team.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8

Just won our 10th medal in the 10k open water swimming and it was another gold! Half of the Dutch medals are gold, which is fantastic.

Shout out to our neighbors in the south, Belgium, who are having the best Olympics in 20 years!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Just won our 10th medal in the 10k open water swimming and it was another gold! Half of the Dutch medals are gold, which is fantastic.

Shout out to our neighbors in the south, Belgium, who are having the best Olympics in 20 years!

way to go! :)

• Love 3

Charlotte Dujardin's Dressage gold today has taken Great Britain ahead of China (based on the system of weighing number of golds ahead of total medals). And we're still waiting for the Finn medal race, for Giles Scott to be awarded the gold he's already secured. A bronze for Sophie Hitchon in the Womens Hammer is a nice, unexpected little bonus.

It's been a pretty fantastic games for Great Britain, and I'm so glad to see they're building on the success of 2012, rather than it looking like a flash in the pan, home nation success story.

• Love 6

The fact that Canada's women managed to get 6 medals in the pool when our swimming program has been a mess for decades is probably the highlight for me this Olympics.  (And I don't care what Ryan Cochrane says about being disappointed in not winning a medal in the 1500m.  The fact he managed to win medals in Beijing and London was probably the only reason I didn't write off the program off altogether.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

The fact that Canada's women managed to get 6 medals in the pool when our swimming program has been a mess for decades is probably the highlight for me this Olympics.  (And I don't care what Ryan Cochrane says about being disappointed in not winning a medal in the 1500m.  The fact he managed to win medals in Beijing and London was probably the only reason I didn't write off the program off altogether.)

omg, i know. but i do know they pumped in a crap tonne of money (and the Pan Am Games in Canada, complete with new swimming complex, and all that comes with it - training, therapists etc), new coaches that specifically works with sprints + women.... paying off. (I am assuming the guys work with this coach too, but that's what CBC was stressing). considering that the USA generally averages around 30 medals getting 6 is amazing. my hope now for Tokyo is 10, and i think that's totally possible. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, photo fox said:

I'm so sad, @Daisy. I was rooting for the cute-as-pie ginger just for you. :-(

Thanks @photo fox. I mean I'm sure he feels worse... but this is just such bad luck

Just now, mtlchick said:

(sigh)  poor kid.  The delays sadly did him no favours. 

i know. like the streaming people said he just did not look confident at all. 

• Love 1

Singapore got its first ever gold medal (men, 100m butterfly).  Schoolig beat Michael Phelps, his hero - of course!, beat an Olympic record and pocketed a cool 1 million Singapore dollars (around US$ 750k) given by the Singapore government for a gold medal. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Daisy said:

Canada's Medal A Day streak is over. 
I'm sad. 

That wasn't the only streak that died yesterday. Team USA had won at least one gold medal for 29 straight Olympic days, dating back to Beijing. It ended yesterday, but hopefully Christian Taylor started a new streak by winning gold in the triple jump this morning.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

That wasn't the only streak that died yesterday. Team USA had won at least one gold medal for 29 straight Olympic days, dating back to Beijing. It ended yesterday, but hopefully Christian Taylor started a new streak by winning gold in the triple jump this morning.

And Simone Biles is heavily favored to win gold for her floor exercise in Women's Artistic Gymnastics.

18 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Play the Canadian anthem again.  That will make you feel better.

hehe i may or may not be playing "Olympian" and pretend i win a medal and belt out O'Canada at random intervals during the day. I love the Olympics :D

10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I know the one a day streak is over, Daisy, but Canada has averaged 1.3 medals a day so statistically you are doing better than a medal a day.

Well that's good to know! :) (I know some days we won 2 , so technically we're covered). Thanks Jane!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

And with Marit Bouwmeester's sailing gold we have now more gold medals than in Beijing! The record is 12 golds from the Sydney games. 

There hadn't been a Dutch gold medal in sailing since 1936. 

Thanks Fantastic! :) i'm so excite for you :) I've got a lot of Dutch family, so I like to consider myself Orange sometimes :) 

• Love 2

Canada gets a medal! And it's Gold from my BOYFRIEND DEREK DROUIN
(not actually my boyfriend. but a girl can dream, right?)

Canada now has the same amount of golds in Beijing - 3. 
(maybe we can re-start Medal-A-Day?)

They're not going to let him jump for a record :(

• Love 5
On 8/15/2016 at 9:11 AM, galaxygirl76 said:

Sounds like Belgium is also now picking up a retroactive gold from Beijing- women's 4x100 on the running track- after anti-doping retests disqualified the Russian team that finished ahead of them.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

They're not going to let him jump for a record :(

He waved them off and said he wasn't going to try it but then changed his mind and gave it a shot; he missed but he already had the gold so it's okay:)

Well I've lowered my expectations for Australia from beating London's Gold Medal Count to equalling it. Just one more Gold to go to achieve that but I'm struggling to feel confident that it will happen. Especially since all our team sports (except Men's Basketball) have been knocked out. I'm not that fluent in understanding Sailing points, so not sure if we can pick up something there. But it looks like the only potential Gold would be in a Kayak event of BMX racing.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't finish in the Top 10 this year. Also wouldn't be surprised if Kenya and Jamaica beat us on the table LOL. I really think Australia needs to start focusing on the 2nd week of the Olympics if they intend to remain a Top 10 placegetter. And I feel this sums up how I am feeling right now about Australia's success on the Medal table at these Olympics

• Love 1

Look out, USA. Great Britain is comin' for ya! Only ten golds and thirty nine total medals behind now.

But really, this has been a tremendous Olympics for Britain, exceeding all expectations. Two more golds, two more silvers and a bronze today, across several events. We still suck at track and field, but in some events (like the triathlon), British athletes are the best in the world.

• Love 6
On 8/17/2016 at 11:40 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

You have good taste in men, Daisy. He's a real cutie. I'd go after him if you hadn't already claimed him.

hehe thanks! It's just a bummer that in 2011 i found out about him and I'm like wow. NO one is talking about him then he wins a medal and i'm like yaaaay then he's like the quietest winningest athlete we've got winning Gold in everything,  but now i have to share him with the world because hehe Olympic gold kinda makes you well known :D

And Canada also wins a bronze today in diving. (which is basically gold if you're not China - so that brings Canada's medal count to 14.  5 medals to go to hit the COC's hope for Rio). 

• Love 2